Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #51
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Since then the basic rule of thumb has been, if you really want a player, don't risk it on a minor league contract. Offer them something larger so they will be sure to sign with you. So for all intents and purposes, when it comes to minor league contract offers, just picture it like offering to a bunch of players to go to camp with you. They might just choose going somewhere else instead because you didn't offer them any guarantee contract.

Quit telling secrets today. Your making them non secrets. Alan is forbidden from sharing anymore of the secrets today.

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 05-25-2011 at 09:40 AM.
hyde4us11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Agreed with everything Alan said about MLCs, but one thing to note that I know was true in FOOL9 and I suspect is still true now in the two versions we use--sometimes, if a player is asking for an MLC, he'll only accept an MLC offer, and will turn down money offers. Dumb, right? Yeah, I know.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #53
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I do offer a SHI....errrr BOATLOAD of MLC's though. So it is certainly not unusual for me to sign alot of them. I just feel bad that this is the 2nd time that I have been told that I was awarded ALL of the players that me and another team had jointly bid on.

Could it have something to do with the hookers and blow I offer each player along with the mlc?

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #54
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Agreed with everything Alan said about MLCs, but one thing to note that I know was true in FOOL9 and I suspect is still true now in the two versions we use--sometimes, if a player is asking for an MLC, he'll only accept an MLC offer, and will turn down money offers. Dumb, right? Yeah, I know.

Before we got rid of the MLC rule we tested and found that was an ootp9 issue that was much better in ootpx. (Not perfect but much better). We didn't test it any with ootp11, but I haven't heard much complaining that people turned down big contracts for MLCs so assume it stayed fixed.

For people to understand what happened in ootp 9 would be a player asking for a MLC would turn down some crazy deal like $8mil a year for a MLC offer from another team. That doesn't happen in ootpx anymore from what we found. I'm not going to say a player might not turn down a 100k/year offer for a MLC deal, but we didn't find them turning down larger contracts anymore.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #55
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Could it have something to do with the hookers and blow I offer each player along with the mlc?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #56
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Before we got rid of the MLC rule we tested and found that was an ootp9 issue that was much better in ootpx. (Not perfect but much better). We didn't test it any with ootp11, but I haven't heard much complaining that people turned down big contracts for MLCs so assume it stayed fixed.

For people to understand what happened in ootp 9 would be a player asking for a MLC would turn down some crazy deal like $8mil a year for a MLC offer from another team. That doesn't happen in ootpx anymore from what we found. I'm not going to say a player might not turn down a 100k/year offer for a MLC deal, but we didn't find them turning down larger contracts anymore.

Cool, I didn't recall that we had tested that (well, you tested that, lol). That always bugged the heck out of me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #57
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:

I can confirm this for OOTP11. I have tested it myself.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #58
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde4us11 View Post
Thats impressively bad. Just an oddity. Was he bad in other years playoffs as well?

Small sample size, but Hood has 2 previous playoff appearances.

2112- 3 for 18 (.167)
2114- 7 for 42 (.167) 3 HRs

So he has been bad in all post seasons he has played.
He is not a superstar, but he is a career .273 hitter with 224HRs

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Maybe you should stop batting him fifth in the postseason.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #60
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Maybe you should stop batting him fifth in the postseason.

At his asking price to resign, i don't think he needs to worry about batting for the Gothams in the post season again
Anyone interested in a 'sign and trade"?

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #61
Johnny93g
College Starter

Congrats Spot, enjoy this week, you are the Man!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #62
spot
High School JV

My first FOOL format championship! Now it's Stafford's turn...

Thanks for all the congrats folks. And Crimson... I'll remember that you were rooting against me.

King came up very small in the playoffs but that extension for Fletcher was a bargain looking at his postseason numbers. I think I'm in my window right now so I am looking to keep this rolling. We'll see how it goes!

FOOL: Chico Rebels
2060-Present

PCBL Philadelphia Ambassadors
1993-Present
spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #63
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Way to go, spot! Congrats on the win!
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #64
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Thanks for all the congrats folks. And Crimson... I'll remember that you were rooting against me.

Sorry but I always root for people that I see here during the playoffs. Of course I have to be here too. Just more fun that way.

And don't worry, even my team doesn't root for me.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #65
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
It is not alphabetical.

We went through a huge discussion on this years ago, partially my fault because I was bitter that muns kept getting all of my minor leaguers.

We found that it was not based on alphabetical, it was not based on team number, and it was not always an exact thing where players would always go to the same team on multiple sims. However players did seem to prefer specific teams based on reasons we never could figure out. We couldn't determine if it was based on the team being a winner or based on depth at the position in the organization or based on whatever, but there did seem to end up being a bias.

The bias did appear to change over time though, where one team now might be preferred by minor leaguers, but 30 years down the road a different team ended up being preferred. So it was something that was able to be affected, but we never figured out what it was.

That whole conversation ended up leading to us implementing draconian rules regarding when people could offer minor league contracts that we used for a long time. Later on we decided to remove those rules because they were partially responsible for ruining the fun and care-free attitude in the league. Since then the basic rule of thumb has been, if you really want a player, don't risk it on a minor league contract. Offer them something larger so they will be sure to sign with you. So for all intents and purposes, when it comes to minor league contract offers, just picture it like offering to a bunch of players to go to camp with you. They might just choose going somewhere else instead because you didn't offer them any guarantee contract.

Thank you, Markus, for your product excellence.

And you know my thought about rules. When a product has a flaw, then a rule helps makes things fair. I'm all about fairness. (like for instance a few teams just offering MLCs when other teams have to offer money...that's an example of unfair). And it isn't risk if the game is lopsided AND we don't know about it. hyde, I know you're somewhat kidding but exploits like this ARE bad news for leagues. If there's something wrong I prefer everyone to know about it, then we can all fairly deal with it equally. Otherwise we'll just put asterisks next to all the season you won and say "Well those don't count cause hyde ran a "special" team."

Not frustrated with anyone mind you. Just the software.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #66
spot
High School JV

I have seen a lot of my mlc offers sign with Hyde over the years. It does get to be frustrating when it seems like it's always the same team, but it just may be that I am now looking for it. I'd love to get to the bottom of why certain teams seem to "win" the mlc battle.

2060-Present

1993-Present
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #67
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Hey I was kidding and I don't get nearly as many as Eric does. I was kidding because Alan is considered (rightfully so) the best ever in this league. I joke thats what I do to try and lighten a mood. Please forgive me and I won't make casual jokes like that. I have shared many of things I do. I mean many things I do. If you want the truth I sign a lot of ML FA to $ deals. I won't make jokes like that anymore because I just said it because I thought everyone would know me well enough to know that I totally kidding. Please accept my apology again. I feel like total crap because it was taken seriously and for that I was wrong in not showing that. Please forgive the format to this message because I am truly upset with myself.

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 05-25-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #68
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yeah Eric is like Santa Claus I guess. The youngins flock to him.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #69
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm guessing you're still kidding hyde but if not no worries. I don't get frustrated at people, just software. But granted I have been in many leagues where people do take advantage of exploits and especially take advantage of new players. Actually I haven't really felt that at all in this league, granted there is less trading since there's no time to trade.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #70
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I'm guessing you're still kidding hyde but if not no worries. I don't get frustrated at people, just software. But granted I have been in many leagues where people do take advantage of exploits and especially take advantage of new players. Actually I haven't really felt that at all in this league, granted there is less trading since there's no time to trade.

No that one I wasn't kidding. I was truly and stilll aim upset. If I am kidding a smiley will always be in there. I thought that was the protocol.

EDIT: I try to make my day go as good as possible. To handle the pain I have and having to sit home for weeks at a time without leaving is to laugh. I sometimes forget that the internet is hard to figure out in that fact so I promise to be better at it.

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 05-26-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #71
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde4us11 View Post
Hey I was kidding and I don't get nearly as many as Eric does. I was kidding because Alan is considered (rightfully so) the best ever in this league. I joke thats what I do to try and lighten a mood. Please forgive me and I won't make casual jokes like that. I have shared many of things I do. I mean many things I do. If you want the truth I sign a lot of ML FA to $ deals. I won't make jokes like that anymore because I just said it because I thought everyone would know me well enough to know that I totally kidding. Please accept my apology again. I feel like total crap because it was taken seriously and for that I was wrong in not showing that. Please forgive the format to this message because I am truly upset with myself.

You're too hard on yourself, friend.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #72
spot
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachEnEspanol View Post
You're too hard on yourself, friend.

What she said. Your reputation precedes you in these here parts, Hyde. The only one who may be more positive than you is Teach!

2060-Present

1993-Present
Old 05-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #73
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

thanks for the awesome explanation btw. Some of this stuff is crazy. Great research.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #74
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
What she said. Your reputation precedes you in these here parts, Hyde. The only one who may be more positive than you is Teach!

are you kidding...Teach is a joy dispenser
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #75
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
are you kidding...Teach is a joy dispenser

Is that anything like a pez dispenser? And if so, where does the joy come out?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #76
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:

I'm positive towards you guys because you're great! Rarely positive about my teams though. (They rarely deserve it!)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #77
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not sure how I missed all of this, but just saying for myself at least that hyde's a wonderful human being and he doesn't ever do a thing intentionally that would hurt anyone (online or in life), and to my knowledge, there isn't a dishonest bone in his body.

IMO, he has nothing to apologize for. He's completely awesome and is one of the main reasons it is a joy to be in a league like this.

We in fact have a pretty amazing cadre of owners here, with respect to quality of people and have lost plenty of others that were of the same quality. That's no doubt a testament to not only us as owners in the league but also to Alan as commissioner.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #78
hyde4us11
Coordinator

I just want to say thanks to everyone for the positive comments. I appreciate it, I really do. I agree this league is full of great people and you guys (and gal) need not look any further then yourselves.