Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #901
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Puck Daddy is reporting that the NHL is in the advanced stages of negotiations for the 2013 Winter Classic to be held at the Big House.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 01-11-2012 at 07:18 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #902
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I really feel bad for those who go...those seats are small enough without adding the fact that people will be wearing heavy clothes.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #903
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I stand corrected, there is something he does worse than backcheck
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #904
Grover
Pro Starter

Words defy how bad this is.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #905
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Awful, awful penalty call

Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #906
bhlloy
Coordinator

We are heading towards a league with no open ice hitting, the refs are too scared not to call something on a big hit even if they think it was clean just in case it might have been a little high and they wind up getting called on it. There's been quite a few examples of this so far this year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #907
DeToxRox
Head Coach

DALLAS -- The NHL, the Detroit Red Wings and the University of Michigan have finalized a deal to hold next season’s Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium, a source told MLive.com.

The long-rumored matchup between the Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs will take place on Jan. 1, 2013. The Red Wings lobbied to have the game at Comerica Park, but the NHL couldn’t pass up an opportunity to hold this annual outdoor spectacle at "The Big House," where it is expected to attract a record crowd in excess of 110,000.

To appease Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch, a rink will be constructed at Comerica Park. The home of the Detroit Tigers will host other events leading up to the Winter Classic, including the alumni game and possibly the Great Lakes Invitational.

The events will officially be announced at news conferences at Comerica Park and Michigan Stadium in early February, after the Red Wings return from a four-game trip to Western Canada and Phoenix Jan. 31-Feb. 6.

The NHL was unable to make this announcement next week and did not want to make the announcement during the All-Star break, Jan. 27-30, or when the Red Wings were on the road.

The league has not scheduled a Canadian team for any of the previous five Winter Classics -- Canada has hosted two Heritage Classics -- because NBC has preferred two U.S. franchises, for better TV ratings. But this historic matchup of Original Six rivals will generate a lot of interest and attract thousands of fans from Ontario.

The NHL attendance record is 71,217, set at the 2008 Winter Classic at Buffalo’s Ralph Wilson Stadium, in a game between the Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins.

Michigan Stadium hosted "The Big Chill at the Big House," a college game between Michigan and Michigan State that drew a crowd of 113,411 on Dec. 11, 2010.

The Red Wings beat the Chicago Blackhawks 6-4 in the 2009 Winter Classic at Wrigley Field in front of a crowd of 40,818.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #908
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
We are heading towards a league with no open ice hitting, the refs are too scared not to call something on a big hit even if they think it was clean just in case it might have been a little high and they wind up getting called on it. There's been quite a few examples of this so far this year.

I'd have less problem with it if they immediately put an arm up and felt Orpik hit him high. For every replay I've seen, the ref still hasn't put his arm up 12 hours later. They watched the result of the play and assume "well, this guy's hurt...so he had to do something wrong!"
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #909
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Between the end of OT and the start of the SO, the ref who made the call found Orpik, told him he saw a review, and apologized.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #910
Grover
Pro Starter

Taylor Hall after getting stepped on in practice the other night. Brutal.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #911
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Wasn't it in pregame? But yeah, either case, nasty.

Just watching this on NHL Net too
Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #912
Grover
Pro Starter

yeah it was during warm ups, my bad

Old 01-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #913
Grover
Pro Starter

Homer told the media that Briere suffered a concussion during the Devils game this afternoon. Out indefinitely.

Concussed Flyers this season: Pronger, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Briere.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #914
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Homer told the media that Briere suffered a concussion during the Devils game this afternoon. Out indefinitely.

Concussed Flyers this season: Pronger, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Briere.

Asham joined Crosby, Letang, Michalek, Bortuzzo, and Kennedy this week.
Pennsylvania could field a pretty solid 3rd team just with concussed players.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #915
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Something needs to be done, fast, to address the concussions. It feels like 10% of the players in the league have had a concussion this year.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #916
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Ference has been hanging around Marchand and Lucic too often

Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #917
bhlloy
Coordinator

Erik Karlsson with a really nice Chris Phillips tribute against Anaheim scores in his own net. If nothing else that should give ML some more material to work with this week
Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #918
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - ends up being the game winner. You can't make this shit up
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #919
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
DOLA

Very worthy of a suspension. I can't believe the Brickley and Edwards were trying to advocate the hit, Brickley even used the disclaimer "Now this isn't because we cover the Bruins..."

Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #920
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Very worthy of a suspension. I can't believe the Brickley and Edwards were trying to advocate the hit, Brickley even used the disclaimer "Now this isn't because we cover the Bruins..."

I think the scariest part is it was all Brick. Edwards was oddly silent there. Brickley kept babbling bull shit about misjudging speed, McDonagh putting himself in a vulnerable position, etc.

Jack didn't even cackle this time.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #921
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
DOLA

3 games for Ference
Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #922
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks were 19 points back of a playoff spot 2-3 weeks ago. Now they keep winning and are only 11 points out. Too late? Probably, but it's nice to see the team playing well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #923
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tim Thomas isn't taking part in the Bruins trip to the White House because he is not an Obama fan.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #924
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Tim Thomas isn't taking part in the Bruins trip to the White House because he is not an Obama fan.

More importantly, curious if Obama completely turned his back during his speech, for fear of getting hit.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #925
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That story pisses me off, because it's a symptom of what the fuck is wrong with our country. He can go or not, it's a free country, but when people (like him and others) complain about how terrible our government is and who are elected officials are, and how they can't collectively do anything for the good of the country, they have only themselves to blame. Because our elected officials are a reflection of who we are and what we tell them we want from them. And by being so petty as to disrespect the POTUS at a ceremony like this tells the political establishment we want more of that, not less. I mean, WTF is wrong with people - he's not Barack Obama, Democrat, he's the POTUS. Show some respect for the office. Sheesh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-23-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #926
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The best thing that could happen is:

Team PR guy "Mr. President...please to meet you. Sorry to say, Tim Thomas, the Conn Smythe winner, couldn't be here."

Obama "Who?"

Remember when James Harrison didn't go because "I'd bet he'd invite the other team if they'd won!" and people thought he was an idiot (which he was)? Thomas is just a different sort of idiot.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #927
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That story pisses me off, because it's a symptom of what the fuck is wrong with our country. He can go or not, it's a free country, but when people (like him and others) complain about how terrible our government is and who are elected officials are, and how they can't collectively do anything for the good of the country, they have only themselves to blame. Because our elected officials are a reflection of who we are and what we tell them we want from them. And by being so petty as to disrespect the POTUS at a ceremony like this tells the political establishment we want more of that, not less. I mean, WTF is wrong with people - he's not Barack Obama, Democrat, he's the POTUS. Show some respect for the office. Sheesh.

I agree. And I'm a Republican (albeit an estranged one from current leadership). If I had the opportunity to meet Obama or to go to the White House (and not the "tour" part), you better believe I would go, I would proudly shake Obama's hand and thank him for his service to our country, and it would be a highlight of my life to this point.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #928
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Tim Thomas wouldn't go to the White House, but I wonder if he would go to Colin White's house. If yes, Tim Thomas is a fucking piece of shit and I hope he gets his catching hand cut off in a freak Zamboni accident next week. I might not be joking.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #929
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

And he was terrible when he played for the Milwaukee Bucks, too.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #930
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two hits, same game.

Ovechkin gets 3 game Shanaban. Z Michalek walks away with nothing.

Maybe Michalek's defense was he couldn't think straight after receiving the hit from Ovechkin earlier in the game.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #931
bhlloy
Coordinator

Michalek probably deserved a fine, but other than that I completely agree with that decision. The intent is clear in Ovechkin's hit, he even leaves his feet to hit him in the head, and he's a repeat offender. I'd have like to see a couple more games tacked on to be honest.

I'm glad we've come to the point where he gets suspended when he goes headhunting because maybe his coach can knock some sense in to him or he'll realize he's hurting his team every time he does this.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #932
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

How can Ovechkin get only 3 games for that? hes a repeat offender, and a dirty piece of shit.... nail the star players and everyone will stop with bad hits!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #933
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Screw you Red Wings!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #934
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Screw you Red Wings!

It was a good game tonight!

Lots of physical play.

100 times better than that listless game on Saturday against Columbus.

I'm sort of happy to see that St. Louis has an NHL team again. It's been a while!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #935
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I agree. And I'm a Republican (albeit an estranged one from current leadership). If I had the opportunity to meet Obama or to go to the White House (and not the "tour" part), you better believe I would go, I would proudly shake Obama's hand and thank him for his service to our country, and it would be a highlight of my life to this point.

That's personally how I would approach it too, but I guess, if you want to make a statement, this is the way to do it and gain attention. This story appears to be getting a ton of attention in the Boston media. At least he didn't go and refuse to shake his hand, I guess. At the end of the day, the ratio of how much his statement gets talked about v. negative harm to anyone is pretty strong in favor of his statement, so I can see it from that angle. (I would actually respect him for this if they won again and he refused to visit with Romney too - that would make the whole thing more powerful it it wasn't just what single party he likes.)

Last edited by molson : 01-23-2012 at 10:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #936
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
More importantly, curious if Obama completely turned his back during his speech, for fear of getting hit.

Winner.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #937
britrock88
Pro Starter

In unrelated hockey news, I was at the Jets-Canes game tonight. The Canes went a full 20 minutes (from 12:30 elapsed in the 2nd to 12:30 elapsed in the 3rd) without an SOG. Got the 2-1 win while being outshot 16-30; at least we can win some face-offs.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #938
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thomas statement on White House absence - NHL.com - News

Quote:
"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"
Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #939
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

To me, he's just setting himself up to look sillly (sillier?) somewhere down the road, when he appears as though he's giving support to another political cause.

He certainly had to problem representing the US Olympic team in 2010.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #940
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It was a good game tonight!

Lots of physical play.

100 times better than that listless game on Saturday against Columbus.

I'm sort of happy to see that St. Louis has an NHL team again. It's been a while!

Refs were a tad bias..

Was a good game!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #941
Danny
Head Coach

Ovechkin is a schmuck. I wish Crosby could stay healthy. A better player and ambassador to the game.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #942
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Refs were a tad bias..

Was a good game!

The Blues were a tad undisciplined.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #943
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Blues were a tad undisciplined.

this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #944
bhlloy
Coordinator

So Ovie has his panties in a bunch over a 3 game suspension that probably should have been double that and is skipping the all-star game? Words fail me. If you want to stop being suspended stop running people.

At least he got something right, he doesn't deserve to be there. And f Leonisis and McPhee for enabling his pity party as well. Maybe the Caps wouldn't choke every year if leadership began at the top.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #945
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So Ovie has his panties in a bunch over a 3 game suspension that probably should have been double that and is skipping the all-star game? Words fail me. If you want to stop being suspended stop running people.

At least he got something right, he doesn't deserve to be there. And f Leonisis and McPhee for enabling his pity party as well. Maybe the Caps wouldn't choke every year if leadership began at the top.

+1
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #946
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Ovie is a bitch. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #947
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL at an item in today's column by AJC sportswriter/blogger (he actually does both) Jeff Schultz. Pens fans, you've been warned

Quote:
Former Thrashers general manager Don Waddell, who for the last several months has been paid by the Atlanta Spirit to, well, we’re still trying to figure that one out, is employed by an NHL team again. The Pittsburgh Penguins have given Waddell a job as a pro scout. We share this news not because we believe anybody in Atlanta really cares that much, but rather as a warning to any Penguins fans who might be reading this. Pittsburgh could soon see a rise in a 37-goal forwards from the minor leagues who get called up, score two goals with a plus-minus of minus-17 in 28 games and then suffer a groin injury.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #948
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
LOL at an item in today's column by AJC sportswriter/blogger (he actually does both) Jeff Schultz. Pens fans, you've been warned

Joke's on this guy...our forward are all injured already, there is nobody left!

My best guess is Ray Shero owes Waddell a favor after the Hosaa/Dupuis for a package of garbage with a bow on top deal of 2008
Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #949
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

isn't Waddell the guy who gave away Hossa to Pittsburgh? maybe this was part of the deal

or, what SR said

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 01-24-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #950
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

in related news, Angelo Esposito has 22 points in his 90-game AHL career. that is amazing