Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2023, 11:00 AM   #101
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
it may be a rough year in general for the SEC. Nobody has looked good so far honestly.

But GA may go undefeated into the playoffs.

They may also not play anyone in the top 25.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:41 PM   #102
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Alabama is 0-8-1 all-time against Texas when the Longhorn's starting QB makes it past the first quarter

Very true. For all of Alabama's chest thumping I would also note that Bob Stoops was 3-0 against the Crimson Tide during his coaching career at Oklahoma. "You just can't score against those SEC defenses." Remember that one, before OU hung 44 on them in the Sugar Bowl?

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 09-10-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:48 PM   #103
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But GA may go undefeated into the playoffs.

They may also not play anyone in the top 25.
They will drop spots if it plays out that way.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:56 PM   #104
larrymcg421
Head Coach

They will drop spots, but zero chance an undefeated GA, no matter how bad their schedule, will be outside the top 4 playoff spots.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 01:03 PM   #105
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
They will drop spots, but zero chance an undefeated GA, no matter how bad their schedule, will be outside the top 4 playoff spots.
No, and they shouldn't unless there are 4 other undefeated teams. I think the idea they won't play a top 25 team is silly. Whoever they play in the SEC championship will be at least top 25, so will most likely Tennessee and Ole Miss. Kentucky and Auburn could be as well. It is a easier schedule than they usually have but it isn't exactly a MAC schedule.
Now if they lose any of those games, it will be really hard to get into the playoffs. They have no room for error.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #106
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I agree it's unlikely, but is there anyone on their schedule that you would be surprised by 3 or 4 losses?
Old 09-10-2023, 02:27 PM   #107
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I agree it's unlikely, but is there anyone on their schedule that you would be surprised by 3 or 4 losses?
Not really, but then 3-4 losses is usually a top 25 team in the SEC.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:43 PM   #108
GrantDawg

Old 09-10-2023, 02:49 PM   #109
RainMaker
General Manager

I wonder how much of that was a desire to get out of that bad contract.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 02:50 PM   #110
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And think they were very happy he handed them the opportunity.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #111
bhlloy
Coordinator

How fucking stupid do you have to be to sexually harass the sexual harassment activist who comes in to talk to your team about sexual harassment.

It’s a miracle he has managed to breathe for so long on this planet, let alone run a Power 5 football program. Jesus H Christ dude.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 03:06 PM   #112
bronconick
College Starter

Choosing to sexually harass a rape survivor/activist to lose $80 million+ in guaranteed money is galaxy brain level stupidity.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #113
GrantDawg

"And this is sexual harassment" *shows graphic*
Mel: " You know what else is sexual harassment? The way that booty pops."
Old 09-10-2023, 04:48 PM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

At least 99.99% of it most likely
Old 09-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #115
bob
College Starter

Fairly crappy set of games for week 3
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:17 AM   #116
Edward64
Head Coach

Some great news.

Quote:
Miami Hurricanes coach Mario Cristobal says All-American safety Kamren Kinchens is in "good shape" after being carted off the field following a scary hit late in the Canes' win over Texas A&M.

Cristobal, in his weekly appearance Monday morning on WQAM radio in Miami, said all test results have been encouraging. Kinchens was released from a hospital Sunday.

Kinchens' family posted on social media a photo of him from the hospital bed, thanking people for their support and saying he was "doing better."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:24 PM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Judge grants temporary restraining order to prevent Pac-12 from meeting - ESPN

This felt like a no-brainer when I saw the story last week.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:28 PM   #118
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just following up on the SMU to ACC story.

Let's just convert the major college teams into Under 22 pro leagues. Make it official that the boosters own the team.

MSN

(this refers to the top booster who put together the package to make up the $200 million that SMU agreed to forego in media money)

When Miller met with the top boosters to seal the move to the ACC, the combined net worth of the room was believed to be about $15 billion.

“It’s a couple hundred million dollars,” Miller said. “I’m not losing sleep over it.”

Let's once and for all time get rid of the "It's all amateurs, really!" bullshit.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:13 PM   #119
GrantDawg

Just like the constant stories of the demise of the NFL, college football has also failed to die.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #120
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That basically tells me that I'm out of touch, since the sport has pushed me away (both leagues). But that's true on a lot of fronts.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:21 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
That basically tells me that I'm out of touch, since the sport has pushed me away (both leagues). But that's true on a lot of fronts.

It's also a narrative being pushed by a source of questionable reliability. With this sort of dollars at stake, nobody with a vested interest is going to admit anything other than rosiness.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #122
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Once the games begin, I tend to forget whatever it is that might or might not have pushed me away.

Life keeps intervening. There's the rape case with the Alabama walk-on, Mel Tucker's expensive abusive behavior in East Lansing, for NBA fans the brutal beating of the sister of Dwayne Haskins' widow by that Rocket player.

That's this week's off-field news. It makes you think. But sports is an escape. It remains an escape, as long as the leagues draw some line somewhere. Or at least say they will.

Despite all the available entertainment out there, and TikTok's formula of never-ending video crack, I think people still crave appointment entertainment in some form. But the scripted sitcoms and dramas are too conveniently binged and there are no more water-cooler shows, like Seinfeld. Plus the Hollywood strike means no new stuff, not that many were watching what was there.

Sports fits. It has to be consumed live. And football has become our sport. So we'll consume it eagerly each fall (sorry, USFL and XFL, we just aren't connected to second-best, or spring football). College football isn't dying by any means, but when you look at the top television ratings for the year, most of it (entertainment, sports, everything) is NFL.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:23 PM   #123
Edward64
Head Coach

Just another one of those opinion pieces. I don't really have a strong opinion either way but think I prefer if Jimbo given till the end of the season and see how it plays out.

9 & 8 win seasons ain't bad but get he's paid to win a lot more.

Texas A&M football: After Miami debacle, should Jimbo Fisher stay or should he go?
Quote:
The end of the Jimbo Fisher Era could be near at Texas A&M.

ESPN college football analyst and talk show host Paul Finebaum illustrated on The Matt Barrie Show what could be the driving force.

In addition to his failure to lift the Aggies to elite status, far from it in fact, Fisher could ultimately fall victim to Texas’ surge into the spotlight after the Longhorns’ dismantling of an Alabama program that has been the measuring stick for all others for at least the past decade.
:
It’s time to pull the plug on this experiment. It isn’t going anywhere. It’s reached its ceiling.
It'd be tough for Petrino to take over mid-season. I'd root for him but best if Jimbo takes the heat this year. Then next year ...

Quote:
It was a nice try; it just didn’t work out. And would it be just too easy to slide new OC Bobby Petrino down from the press box to the playing field as the Aggies’ interim head coach for the remainder of this season?

It’s becoming clear that this is the path the Aggies should take.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:26 PM   #124
GrantDawg

He might not get fired right now, but another big loss then he is probably done.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2023, 07:31 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can think of 76.8 million reasons why Fisher isn't likely to be fired unless they lose to UL-Monroe in their third game or to Abilene Christian in their 11th game.

Suffer through til Jan 1, 2024 and there's only 67.55 million reasons
Old 09-13-2023, 07:41 PM   #126
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice quote.

Quote:
“At the end of the season, if A&M is looking at a mediocre record, that $75 million will not be a factor,” Paul Finebaum recently said. “Presidents don’t make those decisions in places like Texas A&M. It’s the guys with the cowboy hats.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:05 AM   #127
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I think it's almost like a point of pride for these rich assholes to spend more money to fire a coach just so they can brag to their other rich friends.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:06 AM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tell what would be kinda interesting.

Let's assume they buyout Jimbo.

Does the money come from the same idiots who ponied up to buy him in the first place? Or does it come from a different faction?

And if you spend the buyout money, what faction ponies up for a replacement?
Old 09-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #129
Edward64
Head Coach

You're thinking like a normal person.

When we're talking multi-billions of net worth, who cares.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #130
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I would not want to be Jimbo relying on Petrino to call plays while rumors are circulating that he’s in line to step in and take your job. I mean it’s not really a stretch to believe Petrino might sabotage things to be the head coach. This is like a psychological thriller in the making.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:25 AM   #131
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tell what would be kinda interesting.

Let's assume they buyout Jimbo.

Does the money come from the same idiots who ponied up to buy him in the first place? Or does it come from a different faction?

And if you spend the buyout money, what faction ponies up for a replacement?
What I have always wonder is how do they write this money off? I guarantee these guy find a way to make it business loss.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:33 AM   #132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
You're thinking like a normal person.

When we're talking multi-billions of net worth, who cares.

Unless you get that rare bird like Oregon or Oklahoma State, most of 'em have a limit.

It's a high ass limit, but there's a figure in their head.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:33 AM   #133
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
at A&M, no price is too high for the committed boosters to try and get one over on Texas. They would rather bankrupt themselves.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:24 AM   #134
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Iowa is favored by 28.5 over Western Michigan. As we all know, the Fightin Ferentz's have to average over 25 so Brian can keep his job.

Do you bet Western Michigan to cover?
Can Iowa win 20 to -9 to cover??
Could Iowa figure out how to score 1/2 points?

Assuming Iowa scores over 28.5, do they use this game to run up the count to goose the >25 ppg. If they can get to 70, that essentially gives them 4 points per game to work with the rest of the season.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #135
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:02 PM   #136
GrantDawg

I usually can't stand Saban, but that was the best.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:43 AM   #137
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like Alabama is making a QB change.

Tyler Buchner expected to start for Alabama at USF, sources say - ESPN
Quote:
Sophomore Tyler Buchner is expected to start over Jalen Milroe when the 10th-ranked Crimson Tide play at South Florida on Saturday (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC), sources told ESPN's Chris Low. Buchner, who transferred from Notre Dame in the spring, took the majority of first-team reps in practice this week, sources said.

Milroe started the Crimson Tide's first two games, but he threw two interceptions in Alabama's 34-24 loss to Texas last week.

Buchner played under Alabama offensive coordinator Tommy Rees last season when both were at Notre Dame. He played in mop-up duty during Alabama's season-opening 56-7 win over Middle Tennessee, completing 3 of 5 passes for 27 yards.

If I was a NFL QB1 and this happened, I'd be PO'd but I'd laugh all the way to the bank. Can't help but feel sorry for a college QB though. I am glad the portal nowadays allows a bigger "marketplace" where college kids can transfer to other schools that may consider them an upgrade.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:23 AM   #138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Can't help but feel sorry for a college QB though. I am glad the portal nowadays allows a bigger "marketplace" where college kids can transfer to other schools that may consider them an upgrade.

In this case Milroe really doesn't have anyone to blame but himself. The performance simply wasn't there.

That said, I don't believe this is an upgrade and either Milroe or someone else on the depth chart will get a shot at the job soon enough. (Probably not today, but soon)
Old 09-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #139
bob
College Starter

Copied this from reddit. Buchner has a really weird career arc:
  • As a freshman in high school he only threw 37 passes and had 20 carries for 274 yards and 4 TDs.
  • He tore his ACL his sophomore year on the 4th play of the season and missed the whole year.
  • His junior year (over 13 games) he had 4474 passing yards on 66 completion % with 53 TDs and 6 INTs along with 128 carries for 1610 rushing yards and 28 rushing TDs.
  • He missed all of his senior year in 2020 due to COVID.
  • He was the backup in 2021 at ND behind senior Wisconsin transfer Jack Coan.
  • In 2022 he beat out Drew Payne to be the starter but injured his shoulder in game 2 against Marshall and missed the rest of the regular season. He started in the bowl game against South Carolina but only because Payne (now the backup QB at Arizona State) entered the transfer portal.
  • He lost the QB competition at Alabama to Milroe despite having the advantage of knowing the offense Rees runs ahead of time since they had been together at ND.
  • In his now third season of college he is 70-123 (56.9%) for 976 yards with 6 TDs and 8 INTs over 14 games with 3 starts. Also, is 83 for 468 with 8 TDs rushing.

So he has thrown 562 passes in games since 2017 (freshman year of high school) until now. 402/562 (71.5%) of those passes came when he was a junior in high school in 2019.

I was surprised that he went with Rees given he wasn't guaranteed the starter job. If he had stayed at ND, he would have been clear option #1 for next season and would have graduated with a ND degree.

Last edited by bob : 09-16-2023 at 07:30 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #140
Edward64
Head Coach

Rattler making it look easy in first series.

Dawgs defense looking squishy. That TD run was weird.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:02 PM   #141
bronconick
College Starter

Rest of FSU's scheduled opponents now digging for a dual threat QB to savage the defense
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 04:01 PM   #142
GrantDawg

Nothing I can say right now would be from a rational mind, except it is really hard to keep a team motivated at the elite level that is required to win three titles in a row. Eventually, that feeling that you can just win by showing up is going to catch you right in the ass.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Nothing I can say right now would be from a rational mind, except it is really hard to keep a team motivated at the elite level that is required to win three titles in a row. Eventually, that feeling that you can just win by showing up is going to catch you right in the ass.

Or, you know, just suddenly remember that a) Brock Bowers is on the roster and b) passes more than 5 yards downfield are legal
Old 09-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #144
Edward64
Head Coach

Everyone gets to have a mediocre game (or two)

It’s tough to be king
Old 09-16-2023, 05:08 PM   #145
GrantDawg

Spencer Rattler throws a good ball while being hit. You have to give him that.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:38 PM   #146
RainMaker
General Manager

This Alabama offense is something else.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 05:49 PM   #147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m enjoying this huskies game. We are absolutely a title contender.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 05:54 PM   #148
GrantDawg

The second I turn it over to Alabama they score. Maybe I should watch something else.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:19 PM   #149
Edward64
Head Coach

Wow, congrats to the Mizzou kicker.

He's going to get laid tonight.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:26 PM   #150
GrantDawg

A USF Bull has 3 sacks in a game versus Alabama. That just seems wrong.