Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
WSR
Mascot

2010 Census

I just received my Census and don't know if I want to answer all the questions.

They want to know my phone number, the names of everyone living here, birth dates, and race (with a special question asking me if they are of Hispanic,Latino, or Spanish origin?). WTF? I may be just paranoid, but I'm not comfortable giving out all this information.

If they want to know how many people, race, age (not birth date), I'm cool with that. But phone numbers and birth dates seems a bit much.

Thoughts?

WSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Do you really think they couldn't find that out anyway in about .0000003 seconds?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

This is from a lazy panerd perspective and not a Libertarian perspective. Don't send it in. (or better yet send it in with only the questions you want to answer) What are they going to do? Put you in jail? Fine you? They know all of this information already anyways.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

lie like a dog

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Danny
Head Coach

Tell them you are an american inuit
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
WSR
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Do you really think they couldn't find that out anyway in about .0000003 seconds?

That's my point: why should I tell them what they already probably know?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
miked
College Starter

I hear about 500 commercials a day reminding Atlantans to fill out their census forms so we can get money.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Really? Is this what it's come to? "Civil disobedience" because 1)I'm too lazy or 2) the guv'ment is out to get me with the census form (where you are filling out information that is readily attainable at a local level from local government)

Dude, it's the census. They've been doing this for 200-odd years now, right?

Just fill out the damn form and send it back. It's like 2 minutes and it's postage paid. Jeez.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-15-2010 at 09:02 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post
That's my point: why should I tell them what they already probably know?

Because before they ask the question in the census there are no practical reasons for them to have that information. (Even though we all know that they do have it and a lot more) Now they can gerrymander their districts even more and when we complain they can say the information was public knowledge not secretly taken by the government.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm with SI. I also see the commercials but the census serves a purpose. Not only does it determine money for schools, public works, etc... IIRC it also determines your government representation.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's the penalties possible for either refusing to answer Census questions or giving intentionally wrong answers:
Quote:
According to United States Code, Title 13 (Census), Chapter 7 (Offenses and Penalties), SubChapter II, if you're over 18 and refuse to answer all or part of the Census, you can be fined up to $100. If you give false answers, you're subject to a fine of up to $500. If you offer suggestions or information with the "intent to cause inaccurate enumeration of population," you are subject to a fine of up to $1,000, up to a year in prison, or both. Here's the official verbiage:

221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

* (a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

* (b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.

* (c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Sec. 222. Giving suggestions or information with intent to cause inaccurate enumeration of population

Whoever, either directly or indirectly, offers or renders to any officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof engaged in making an enumeration of population under subchapter II, IV, or V of chapter 5 of this title, any suggestion, advice, information or assistance of any kind, with the intent or purpose of causing an inaccurate enumeration of population to be made, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-15-2010 at 09:06 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Because before they ask the question in the census there are no practical reasons for them to have that information. (Even though we all know that they do have it and a lot more) Now they can gerrymander their districts even more and when we complain they can say the information was public knowledge not secretly taken by the government.

I don't involve myself in political threads here so I I'll likely back out shortly, but how is it not practical to have that information?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Really? Is this what it's come to? "Civil disobedience" because 1)I'm too lazy or 2) the guv'ment is out to get me with the census form (where you are filling out information that is readily attainable at a local level from local government)

Dude, it's the census. They've been doing this for 200-odd years now, right?

Just fill out the damn form and send it back. It's like 2 minutes and it's postage paid. Jeez.

SI

They made it more complicated this year. This is one of their jobs projects. They know that they can employ a bunch of people temporarily to get the job numbers down as long as they make the questionnaire somewhat offensive or hard to do.

Seriously, how much money are they wasting acting like they are finding out information that they already know? Some computer database has an image of every single house in America with all of this information and then some.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is from a lazy panerd perspective and not a Libertarian perspective. Don't send it in. (or better yet send it in with only the questions you want to answer) What are they going to do? Put you in jail? Fine you? They know all of this information already anyways.
I don't know about federal. But you do this with the state and they call you/knock on your door a half dozen times daily for 4 months.

Fuckers.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't involve myself in political threads here so I I'll likely back out shortly, but how is it not practical to have that information?

I'm not really anti-Obama as much as I see that this is a ruse (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) and a huge waste of money. They know all of this information. Why send the questionnaires out in the first place?

I am not opposed politically, I am opposed because it is a colossal waste of money.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I'm not really anti-Obama as much as I see that this is a ruse (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) and a huge waste of money. They know all of this information. Why send the questionnaires out in the first place?

I am not opposed politically, I am opposed because it is a colossal waste of money.

Then you need to petition for a constitutional amendment, because it specifically states that a Census is conducted every 10 years.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
WSR
Mascot

Quote:

Didn't realize this would turn into a political thread. I just don't know if I want to summarize this information for them when they should have it all already.

For example: Rather than ask our date of birth, wouldn't it suffice for me to tell them that I am between 40 - 45 years old?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Then you need to petition for a constitutional amendment, because it specifically states that a Census is conducted every 10 years.

Yeah but I realize that it is going to happen and something like that is just a waste of my time. There are bigger issues. I like to "troll" the political threads around here just because I like to try and convince people there is at least a 3rd and 4th way of doing things and maybe we should look into it but I don't really oppose this politically at all. (Meaning I would have opposed this if a Republican was in office) I just think it is a huge waste of money.

And since some might think that my last post is somehow political I am going to bow out of the thread and try and let it get back on track. I apologize for threadjacking.

Last edited by panerd : 03-15-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And, according to this handy-dandy page I googled:
The Questions on the Form - 2010 Census

It looks like more than half the questions have been around since 1900 (7/10). They now ask for a phone number to clarify any answers they don't understand, they have asked about being Hispanic since 1970 (according to the site), and "does person x live somewhere else occasionally"?

SI

Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
KWhit
Coordinator

Just answer the questions for fuck sake.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post
Didn't realize this would turn into a political thread. I just don't know if I want to summarize this information for them when they should have it all already.

For example: Rather than ask our date of birth, wouldn't it suffice for me to tell them that I am between 40 - 45 years old?

My bad, I assumed when you asked if you are being paranoid and were uncomfortable answering that you were taking a conspiracy angle.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Drake
assmaster

I've been lying on mandatory internet surveys for my own personal amusement for close to ten years now, don't see any reason to stop now.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #23
WSR
Mascot

Quote:
My bad, I assumed when you asked if you are being paranoid and were uncomfortable answering that you were taking a conspiracy angle.

No conspiracy angle at all. Honestly.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #24
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

We haven't gotten ours but one thing I have an issue with is choosing race. Our kids are half black, half mexican and I've yet to see a form that has a biracial choice.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Fine, but let's not waste money on advertising and only snail mail options. It's not a surprise, but it's government inefficiency at it's best.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
We haven't gotten ours but one thing I have an issue with is choosing race. Our kids are half black, half mexican and I've yet to see a form that has a biracial choice.

I'm pretty sure you're all allowed to check more than one box and that it's been the case since the 2000 Census.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #27
Swaggs
Coordinator

Phone number is for follow up purposes.

I feel bad for the folks working the census this year w/ all of the drummed up anti-government paranoia going on.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #28
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I'm pretty sure you're all allowed to check more than one box and that it's been the case since the 2000 Census.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm able to; that's what I've been doing with the kid's forms from school. After the kiddos take the state test, results come back and I see scores based on race - Hispanics scored __%, African American __%, Asian __ %, American Indian __ %, etc. Great info, so where does my kid fall under?
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As a friend of mine quipped over AIM: "Yeah, imagine my disappointment when I filled mine out today and there wasn't ONE question about my bank account, sexual orientation or financial status."

Panerd- I don't know what to say. I'll try to look at it not as a given but with regards to some of your points.

In some form of fashion, the census has to be done for the reasons stated- voting, financing, etc. You're right, tho, it could probably be done cheaper and more efficiently. We are definitely stuck in a mental rut of "that's how it's always been done and we're the best so don't change things" towards a great many things in this country and use it as an excuse to resist change.

I wouldn't mind if there was the Census Modernization Act of 2020, for instance, where you could see your information online and have a chance to accept or correct the information in the national database. That would under represent the poor as all but the homeless have an address which presumably receives mail versus internet access penetration here of about 75%.

But it would save a lot of money and you could spend some of that on the Library Modernization Act of 2020 which would kick some of the money saved towards libraries and their technology budget as well as lengthen their hours for a month to allow access to the census online. It would save money but still save the dual purpose of trying to correct the under representation problem while giving community libraries a financial shot in the arm, developing some local infrastructure.

That said, I think it's easy to poke fun from the cheap seats and just say "see, there goes the government, wasting money again." Let's assume they don't already have this database as, even if they have the information, they probably don't have it all in one place. Who knows, maybe the FBI or NSA has a file on all of us, but it's not like they're going to share that with the innocuous census bureau. Maybe you could get some from social security but it's going to cost manhours and time to convert it all and that's assuming they have all the info, which they probably don't.

So, I gotta turn this back on you (and other who are asking): how are you going to collect this information. I've got my plan above for 2020, best as I can come up with on the back of a napkin. What do you have? No, there isn't a magic database out there with this info. Let's just stop with that now. Could I Google everyone? Well, sort of. But they don't know who "everyone" is. It's not like you could just go to Super Pages and count up everyone in every city.

SI

Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #30
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure I'm able to; that's what I've been doing with the kid's forms from school. After the kiddos take the state test, results come back and I see scores based on race - Hispanics scored __%, African American __%, Asian __ %, American Indian __ %, etc. Great info, so where does my kid fall under?

Yes.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #31
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As a friend of mine quipped over AIM: "Yeah, imagine my disappointment when I filled mine out today and there wasn't ONE question about my bank account, sexual orientation or financial status."

Panerd- I don't know what to say. I'll try to look at it not as a given but with regards to some of your points.

In some form of fashion, the census has to be done for the reasons stated- voting, financing, etc. You're right, tho, it could probably be done cheaper and more efficiently. We are definitely stuck in a mental rut of "that's how it's always been done and we're the best so don't change things" towards a great many things in this country and use it as an excuse to resist change.

I wouldn't mind if there was the Census Modernization Act of 2020, for instance, where you could see your information online and have a chance to accept or correct the information in the national database. That would under represent the poor as all but the homeless have an address which presumably receives mail versus internet access penetration here of about 75%.

But it would save a lot of money and you could spend some of that on the Library Modernization Act of 2020 which would kick some of the money saved towards libraries and their technology budget as well as lengthen their hours for a month to allow access to the census online. It would save money but still save the dual purpose of trying to correct the under representation problem while giving community libraries a financial shot in the arm, developing some local infrastructure.

That said, I think it's easy to poke fun from the cheap seats and just say "see, there goes the government, wasting money again." Let's assume they don't already have this database as, even if they have the information, they probably don't have it all in one place. Who knows, maybe the FBI or NSA has a file on all of us, but it's not like they're going to share that with the innocuous census bureau. Maybe you could get some from social security but it's going to cost manhours and time to convert it all and that's assuming they have all the info, which they probably don't.

So, I gotta turn this back on you (and other who are asking): how are you going to collect this information. I've got my plan above for 2020, best as I can come up with on the back of a napkin. What do you have? No, there isn't a magic database out there with this info. Let's just stop with that now. Could I Google everyone? Well, sort of. But they don't know who "everyone" is. It's not like you could just go to Super Pages and count up everyone in every city.

SI

Right now I can type my phone number into google and get taken to some site that tells me stuff about my previous residences and phone numbers that even I don't remember. And that is the free site. You don't think the government knows as much as the pay site? You don't think they know more? So I have to send back a form that tells them stuff that I can already find on the internet by googling "panerd xxx-xxx-xxxx"

I would agree with you on your conclusions except it changes because of your assumption that the government doesn't already know this. Of course they do. That isn't a conspiracy theory nowadays is it?

Last edited by panerd : 03-15-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #32
molson
General Manager

I'm pretty libertarian but I always get annoyed about the census backlash (and also people that complain about jury duty)

It's just a goddam Census.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but the government doesn't know that there is a panerd out that and that he's a US citizen. And that his name isn't "John Smith" or that each "John Smith" on Super Pages or Google is unique, etc.

SI

Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #34
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I really hope you all don't fill our your census.

MORE GOVERNMENT FOR ME!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #35
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, but the government doesn't know that there is a panerd out that and that he's a US citizen. And that his name isn't "John Smith" or that each "John Smith" on Super Pages or Google is unique, etc.

SI

Well my census questionaire asked (and I sent it back because like I said I don't care why rustle feathers over this) how old I was,my sex, my type of house, my race, and my phone number. Besides my race I can find accurate information for free (ie the government has put more effort into it than a free website) for every question. What is the point of this exactly?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #36
molson
General Manager

Quote:

SI

You need some official, neutral, way to count people for congressional seat allocation and distribution of federal funds. The process, like everything else in government, could be more efficient. But it seems what really pisses people off (like with jury duty) is just that the government is asking them to do something.

I can see getting upset that the government steals from us and blows the money, but not that it asks us to fill out a form so we can be appropriately represented in Congress.

Last edited by molson : 03-15-2010 at 10:30 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well my census questionaire asked (and I sent it back because like I said I don't care why rustle feathers over this) how old I was,my sex, my type of house, my race, and my phone number. Besides my race I can find accurate information for free (ie the government has put more effort into it than a free website) for every question. What is the point of this exactly?

I get that they can find that information. But how do they determine who is a unique individual? Well, you could use social security number. Instead, they use post office and address system with an already in place infrastructure.

SI

Old 03-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Totally off the top of my head here but I'm thinking on most school test results that, in the absence of an "other" category, then a primary racial/ethnic assignment is made based on whoknowswhat criteria.

It's also possible, I suppose, that the "others" are often too small a sample to avoid being individually identifiable in a single school and are therefore omitted from publically released results altogether.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #39
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

What's hipper: being anti-census or anti-plate tectonics?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #40
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Yep.

Multiracial No Longer Boxed In By Census | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |
Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #41
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

It's the government. As we have seen in the past, different departments do not share information, even if lives might possibly depend on it. So, I am not surprised that the government doesn't have a more efficient and less costly (over 11 billion for this census) way to collect the information. As far as the questions asked, it has varied from the very beginning, though phone number is new I believe.

The reason the government wants to know the answers to the census questions, the two big ones that stand out to me, has to do with how many state representatives each state will be allotted and funding for various projects. Why would the government want to spend money for project X that 10 years ago had 10,000 people, but now only has 2,500 and spend the same amount? I know it's the government and common sense is not a prevailing trait that runs wild in DC, but, they have to figure that stuff out somehow. I find filling out a job or credit application to be far more intrusive than filling out a census form. Besides, the data for each census does not become publicly available until 70 (I think) years after the census was taken and can't be sold, unlike your credit information.

For me, the census has been one of the best tools for ancestry research. Heck, sometimes I wish it was more specific. Maybe some day a hundred years from now, one of my descendants may be trying to look up their family history and run across the 2010 census, I don't mind leaving as much info as possible for them.

I understand that some people are much more private than others and may have a hard time filling the census form out, but, in all honesty, the government does not need a census form if they wanted to pry into your personal life. Just ask J. Edgar Hoover...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #42
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have some experience in this field (lists/databases of consumers and public record) and you'd be amazed at some of the cross sections of people it leaves out. Poor, elderly, certain ethnicities etc... When those people are exactly the kind of people that the census is targeted at (people that the government are generally spending money on - and I don't want to make this thread any more political) I think the Census is a pretty invaluable tool. Maybe in 20 years when 99.9% of the population are daily internet users we might see a big move to have the census disappear or at least be online only.

I have to admit I don't agree with most of the adverts which seem like a huge waste of money, but if you are going to commit to it I guess you have to make sure as many people send it back as possible - otherwise what's the damn point.

In terms of the government having more comprehensive lists, I'm sure the NSA and CIA probably do but do we really want them sharing these lists with a bunch of civilian census workers?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #43
SackAttack
Head Coach

What I get a kick out of is, the more accurately completed census forms the government gets back, the less they have to spend on filling in the blanks.

So, of course, a lot of the same people who have been railing at President Obama and the Congress for government spending levels in the last year are discouraging people from filling it out.

I can't decide if they think the government will give up and say "Oh well, we tried," or if there's an actual mental disconnect that says making the government spend more than necessary on a Constitutionally mandated task is good for reducing deficit spending.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #44
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Uh, these sites do not currently have my correct info. In fact, they have multiple addresses that I do not live at anymore. I welcome being counted for 5 different congressional districts, but it's probably a better idea they send the form.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #45
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

There are only 12 spots to list who you live with and given that I live in a clown car with 20 guys... not sure how to proceed.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The process, like everything else in government, could be more efficient. But it seems what really pisses people off (like with jury duty) is just that the government is asking them to do something.
I think you underestimate how much the inefficiency pisses people off with jury duty. I'd love to serve on a real jury, particularly if I could do it at the one down the street, but instead I'm always called to ones an hour away with limited parking and they dismiss us 4 hours later without ever seating anyone. I've got better things to do than that.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #47
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

It's different. For government forms, they count the races twice. So your kids get counted twice. For school stuff? Most school districts have their own methodology, but historically, the one-drop rule is employed. It was reported in years past that some schools would just eyeball the kids and pick a race for them, for especially "cute" parents that like to check other or create their own boxes or check more than one. It might be better now, but...I doubt it, given that most of the systems they use don't have space for "others" and make you pick one and only one.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-16-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #48
RainMaker
General Manager

I got mine and don't really see what the fuss is about. I mean unless you have not worked for someone, paid a dime in taxes, owned property, had a bank account, voted, and so on, they already have ten times the information they are asking for right now. And they don't use that for a census because it could be off a bit and each state/county treat things differently.

But in all seriousness, if you don't live in IL-5, please feel free to discard your census.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's a new way to look at it for those of you who are refusing to fill out the census. If you fill it out and send it in, it costs nothing additional for the census takers to get your data. If you refuse to fill out the census, it costs an additional $56 per household to make a personal visit to your home to find out whether anyone lives there. Here's the math on that......

120M households are sent a census questionaire
60% of those households do not return their questionaires in a timely manner.
72M personal visits are required to verify who lives in those households or if anyone lives there anymore.

$4,032,000,000 of taxpayer dollars spent that could have been saved had everyone just filled out their questionaire.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #50
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Here's a new way to look at it for those of you who are refusing to fill out the census. If you fill it out and send it in, it costs nothing additional for the census takers to get your data. If you refuse to fill out the census, it costs an additional $56 per household to make a personal visit to your home to find out whether anyone lives there. Here's the math on that......

Not being pedantic - but why don't the goverment just fine anyone not returning it promptly say $70 .... it'd increase the return ratio instantly and cover any costs involved for those who don't.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote