Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have an HTC Thunderbolt?

So, my Verizon contract comes up on the 25th (well, I could have bought a phone for discounted price already, but on the 25th I get my last New Every Two credit and that's $50). I've heard a lot of good things about the Thunderbolt, but varying stuff on the battery. I was actually considering skiping the T-bolt due to those rumors and going with the Motorola Bionic (which also had a dual core), but now there are lots of rumors that the Bionic will be scrapped or seriously delayed.

So, how do you find battery life on the T-bolt? Should I get it next week or wait a few days for the Samsung Droid Charge (the only downside to Samsung is they take FOREVER for Android OS upgrades).

Only LTE phone recommendations please (I live in an LTE area and would like the best tech for my region ).

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Comey
College Starter

HTC Thunderbolt Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

I'm considering it too...really, really want to hold out for the Bionic. But I have no idea when it'll come out.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Or if it still exists .

I have read reviews for the Tbolt, but I find that people who have had it for a few weeks really know how the battery is (it's been conditioned for regular use after all).
Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

Have a friend who bought it when it came out. With light use, it was dead by lunchtime. He bought the extended battery which helped as he can make it through the day now.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Under heavy use it seems like the battery lasted around 4 hours when I first got it. Yesterday I pulled it off the charger around 11am, used it as a golf gps and scorekeeper for 4 hours, used mobile IM a bunch, and played around an hour of games on it. It finally died around 10pm. For me its not a big deal to have it always charging when I'm home but I can see how it might annoy others. Its also worth noting that my area doesn't have 4g yet so that extends my battery life a bit.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 04-18-2011 at 03:01 PM.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have heard that with conditioning the battery, it really extends its life from what seems like ridiculously bad battery life when you first get it. I wonder why that is.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

just got one 3 days ago... with light use the battery seems to last for about 8 hours. thats not a big deal, unless you wanna go camping.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

HeavyReign reminded me that my buddy was using 4G.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
FBPro
College Starter

iPhone, recommended by someone who works for VZW. I've had 2 Droids and chose the iPhone due to reliability, battery life and because its a 4th gen product. I'll be hard pressed to go to anythingelse in the future, I've surprised myself.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My sister's BF has one and LOVES it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have one and love it. I am not in a 4G area yet and my battery lasts about 10 hours with light use.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am in an LTE area, so I'm slightly worried about battery drain due to that. Though there are apps that you can switch from LTE to 3G, and when I have it on idle, no reason to have LTE on.

And, iPhone is not an option as it doesn't have 4G and it isn't Android.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I like the tech, but between the physical size and the battery life I'm waiting for the next iteration before upgrading my Droid.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
iPhone, recommended by someone who works for VZW. I've had 2 Droids and chose the iPhone due to reliability, battery life and because its a 4th gen product. I'll be hard pressed to go to anythingelse in the future, I've surprised myself.

Surprised it took so long for this to pop up (not you FBPro, but an iPhone recommendation in an obvious Android thread).

Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Comey
College Starter

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I'd want the Thunderbolt or the iPhone. I like both, to be honest...and there's give-and-take with both, obviously. I just can't decide, and so, I don't.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

If I was in the market for a phone (which I am) and I was on Verizon (which I also am) I would wait a couple of months to get a phone unless I absolutely had to get one now. It seems that there are several "next-gen" 4G phones rolling down the pipeline in the next 2 to 3 months.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Comey
College Starter

The Droid Bionic is what I've been waiting for, but there's somewhat concrete talk that the Bionic has been scrapped all together. That would suck.

The Thunderbolt is an ideal phone...save for the battery life. The iPhone is an ideal device...save that the iPhone 5 will be announced in September (based on what I've researched). I'm stuck in one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations, it would seem.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
If I was in the market for a phone (which I am) and I was on Verizon (which I also am) I would wait a couple of months to get a phone unless I absolutely had to get one now. It seems that there are several "next-gen" 4G phones rolling down the pipeline in the next 2 to 3 months.

And then in a few months there would be newer and better phones available in 2 to 3 months.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
The Droid Bionic is what I've been waiting for, but there's somewhat concrete talk that the Bionic has been scrapped all together. That would suck.

Apparently the word is late summer, maybe even Q3 talk. By that time, tiered data would come on Verizon. That's the other consideration... you wait too long and you wouldn't be locked into unlimited 4G (well, for at least 2 years).
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Surprised it took so long for this to pop up (not you FBPro, but an iPhone recommendation in an obvious Android thread).

Only posted cause I've owned 3 different droids, have worked as a vzw technician for 3+ yrs and see the pros and cons of each in my job. Have owned an iPhone for a little more than a month and although the droid platform has some great features and benefits it has quite a ways to go to reach iPhone level and performance. But to each his own.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #21
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
And then in a few months there would be newer and better phones available in 2 to 3 months.

Yes, but the 4G change over is an every couple of year upgrade. Waiting until June will get you a shiny new 4G phone. Even when replacement phones come out, you will still be on the most up to date service.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #22
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Rumor is that the next Iphone is coming out in september. No word on the specs (except for a faster processor) or carriers.

Apple to ship new iPhone in September - Yahoo! News