Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #1951
whomario
Pro Starter

Germany: Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Müller, Ozil, Podolski, Gomez.

Holland: Stekelenburg, Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Willems, de Jong, Van Bommel, Robben, Sneijder, Afellay, Van Persie.

Matthijsen back in for Vlaar is the only change either team made.

Disapointed that Gomez plays over Klose again. I realize that it´s propably tough to leave out the winning goal scorer but Klose is a much, much better fit with the midfield that is on the pitch ... Take the 3:0 over the Netherland in November ( ), not one of theese goals takes place with Gomez up front instead of Klose.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #1952
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Dutch over the Krauts in a Death Group SHOCKER!

Go Oranje!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #1953
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Here we go!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #1954
whomario
Pro Starter

Who gave Dennis Bergkamp a german jersey and a Mario Gomez mask ?

I stand corrected, again. Now he has to run, run, run until the 70th, then Klose can finish the job

great play by Schweinsteiger to set it up, not just the pass but also getting into the spot to receive the pass from Müller beforehand.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-13-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #1955
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Dutch just look bad bad bad.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #1956
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Dutch are playing defense like my rec league teams do when we get tired. Flat across the back and nobody picking up the ballcarrier in midfield.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #1957
whomario
Pro Starter

dutch rotate so much offensively, no one has any idea anymore where to pass the ball. Basically looks like everybody does whatever they want with no regard to any system.

And defensively MVB and De Jong don´t do shit, they just stand in no man´s land while Schweinsteiger, Khedira and the Alien get in between them and the defense.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #1958
whomario
Pro Starter

Germany not brilliant by any stretch, but if brilliant then leads to getting bounced by spain and this sort of play (lets call it "decent looking efficiency") leads to a title, i´m all game
Old 06-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #1959
rowech
Pro Starter

Total football leading to total breakdowns.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #1960
MIJB#19
Coordinator

(speechless)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #1961
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
(facepalms)
Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #1962
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Oranje with a nutmeg goal!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #1963
whomario
Pro Starter

nothing spectacular in the 2nd half but a win is a win. 1 huge save by Neuer, almost a crazy goal by Klose on a Stekelenburg brainfart.

The last 8-10 minutes the dutch team wasn´t able to pick up the pace one last time, still don´t like the german teams tendency not to go for the kill there and just try to bide their time until the final whistle...

Anyway, going to bed happy enough today

Last edited by whomario : 06-13-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #1964
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Grp B Por W Por=Ned Ned W
Ger W 1.Ger,2.Por 1.Ger,2.Por 1.Ger,2.*
Ger=Den 1.Ger,2.Por 1.Ger,2.Por 1.Ger,2.Den
Den W 1.** 1.Den,2.Ger 1.Den,2.Ger

* three-way tie decided by hthth, currently being Por (3-2+), Den (3-3) and Ned (0-1+)
** three-way tie decided by hthth, currently being Ger (1-0+), Por (3-3) and Den(2-3+)

Germany wins group with win or draw, still advance with loss and Portugal loss or draw
Portugal wins group with win + Denmark 1-0 win, advance with win or draw + Germany win or draw, still advance with 1-0 loss + Denmark loss, still advance with win + Denmark win that isn't 2-1
Denmark win group with win (if 1-0 they need a Portugal loss or draw), still advance with win, or with draw + Netherlands win
Netherlands still advanced with win by 2 or more goals + Germany win
Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #1965
whomario
Pro Starter

thanks for breaking that down, allways appreciate the work you do there

Hope the Netherlands beat Portugal, although i must admit that i´d rather have Denmark advance. There´s allways the possibility of a high-potential team like Holland putting it all together after a miraculous last second advancing and if you don´t mind i don´t want to meet such a team in the final

German team can´t slack, so that´s good for the dutch. I expect 2 or 3 changes at most (Boateng is banned with 2 yellows, then i guess 1 midfielder and Klose getting the start to get some rythm as there will be a game where you need him to come in and score, not be an aditional defender)
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #1966
whomario
Pro Starter

Also : Is it just me or is the level or play pretty damn good so far ? I mean, maybe the highs aren´t that high but even the kinda-bad games aren´t hard to look at.
Only thing is that many teams definitely hit a wall after 75 minutes.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #1967
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Also : Is it just me or is the level or play pretty damn good so far ? I mean, maybe the highs aren´t that high but even the kinda-bad games aren´t hard to look at.

I was just thinking today that there seems to be a decent amount of offense so far. Teams actually attacking for the most part and not being willing to just sit around.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #1968
AlexB
Pro Starter

Reports say Harry has left Spurs. Madness.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #1969
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I was just thinking today that there seems to be a decent amount of offense so far. Teams actually attacking for the most part and not being willing to just sit around.

Except the sissy english.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #1970
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Reports say Harry has left Spurs. Madness.

That was a strange one. There were a lot of rumors last night that he was leaving, but he strongly denied them this morning. Seems like he made some demands for a huge contract increase thinking they wouldnt have the nerve to fire him about it.

Liked the tweet "Harry Redknapp will reportedly be paid £3,000,000 in compensation by Tottenham, which after tax will equate to approximately £3,000,000."
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #1971
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
So far only Germany impressed my by their skill. A lot of teams play with a defensive formation and wait for their counter attack chances. At the same time, I also felt that teams playing with 2 strikers had more trouble creating chances than those with 1 or 0 strikers.

That 75-minutes didn't daunt to me yet, but you have a point there. In the final 10-15 minutes, teams hardly scored, which is very unusual.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #1972
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
thanks for breaking that down, allways appreciate the work you do there

Hope the Netherlands beat Portugal, although i must admit that i´d rather have Denmark advance. There´s allways the possibility of a high-potential team like Holland putting it all together after a miraculous last second advancing and if you don´t mind i don´t want to meet such a team in the final

German team can´t slack, so that´s good for the dutch. I expect 2 or 3 changes at most (Boateng is banned with 2 yellows, then i guess 1 midfielder and Klose getting the start to get some rythm as there will be a game where you need him to come in and score, not be an aditional defender)
Yesterday we needed Portugal to win and now on Sunday we need Germany to win. From a dutch perspective, that feels like worshiping the devil: we have to root for the teams that we dislike the most of all. Actually, I think most dutch don't dislike the current German team, they play fun to watch soccer and have a classy bunch of players. They turned into the 'new Oranje'. Portugal however...)

Although, the general expectation here is that Germany will try to draw with the Danes, ensuring group victory and knocking out Oranje, yet at the same time Portugal will pull their usual tricks and beat us, few people think we can beat them, lett alone by the required 2 goals.

It would be quite unique to experience a group phase knock-out, we've been spoiled with surviving 'groups of death' (2000, 2004, 2006, 2008), in my soccer aware life time we failed to reach the knock-out phase only once: the 2002 WC, that we entirely missed. In contrast, aside from the Ukraine, all the other participants at Euro2012 had to go through it at least twice.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #1973
whomario
Pro Starter

You know that you have the chance at a truly great team when many people and experts in Germany still bitch about the team playing timid and yet people outside Germany are impressed
Weirdly i can see both points as the team clearly is still in the fine-tuning stage, especially now that they had to adjust to playing with Gomez up front. Mueller/Podolski/Özil are all decidedly average so far (with both Müller and Özil having a better 2nd game than first)
So far the defense has been more impressing, not just pure defending but also in build-up and bal controll.

I can´t think of many better pair of CBs in that regard than Badstuber (very good at it) and Hummels (outstanding). How did guys outside Germany see those 2 ?

Hummels so far leads the german team in interceptions, won duels, has yet to commit a foul and he also leads them in touches (some according to uefa.com and the others from the great whoscored.com ) and it´s not like germany is just passing it around in defense, those are genuine "making yourself available and then making the play" touches. The way he moves into midfield for a string of passes when the situation calls for it is pretty great. Badstuber is considered a really good build-up player himself, yet Hummels has 30% more touches than him.
If he continues that it will be extremly difficult to put real pressure on Germany because you basically have a 3rd ball controlling midfielder available at all times.

also, i just have to post this ... Please bare with me here

Last edited by whomario : 06-14-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #1974
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
That was a strange one. There were a lot of rumors last night that he was leaving, but he strongly denied them this morning. Seems like he made some demands for a huge contract increase thinking they wouldnt have the nerve to fire him about it.

Liked the tweet "Harry Redknapp will reportedly be paid £3,000,000 in compensation by Tottenham, which after tax will equate to approximately £3,000,000."

I think it’s been pretty clear over the last few transfer windows that Daniel Levy doesn’t trust him with the check book, and Spurs are at a point that they need to spend some serious money if they are going to try for top four consistently. Combine that with the horrible run of games that just so happened to coincide with Harry madly chasing the England job and this was kind of inevitable. So I’m pretty excited about how much ambition this move is showing from Levy, it could of course blow up but to dare is to do and all that.

Of course this all depends on who gets appointed; you can’t really evaluate a firing without knowing the subsequent hiring. Levy obviously went through a thorough search just a few months ago when he had to think Harry was leaving for England, so he knows who he wants.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #1975
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
I think it’s been pretty clear over the last few transfer windows that Daniel Levy doesn’t trust him with the check book, and Spurs are at a point that they need to spend some serious money if they are going to try for top four consistently. Combine that with the horrible run of games that just so happened to coincide with Harry madly chasing the England job and this was kind of inevitable. So I’m pretty excited about how much ambition this move is showing from Levy, it could of course blow up but to dare is to do and all that.

Of course this all depends on who gets appointed; you can’t really evaluate a firing without knowing the subsequent hiring. Levy obviously went through a thorough search just a few months ago when he had to think Harry was leaving for England, so he knows who he wants.

The heavy favorite is David Moyes from Everton. As an Everton fan I really hope he turns them down - if he can hang onto Baines and Fellaini and get Pienaar they have a real shot at European play.

Then again, Redknapp was the heavy favorite to get the England job and we know how that turned out...
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #1976
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Moyes would certainly be the safe move, but kind of a meh hire for me. I think we need to make the type of hire that will say to Bale and Modric and future signings that we are aiming for something big. But I’m a Spurs fan, so I’m probably overestimating the level of manager who would be interested in the job.
We are kind of stuck in that no mans’ land where the level of player and manager we need to take the next step doesn’t want to come to a club who hasn’t taken that step yet. It will take quite a bit of inspiration to get us there, and I don’t think Moyes is up to it.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #1977
Grover
Pro Starter

My dark horse choice of Croatia has looked good. Gonna be tough to get past Spain though.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #1978
whomario
Pro Starter

Spain can´t bitch about the pitch not being watered today ...
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #1979
Grover
Pro Starter

Oh, Nando.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #1980
whomario
Pro Starter

this could get really ugly for Ireland
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #1981
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, if Spain beats Ireland, and then goes on to tie Croatia 2-2, Italy is OUT no matter what they do in the final game against Ireland.

(and yes, if it does happen that way, the cries of Fix coming from Italy would be loud and probably justified, after all takes one to know one )

Key EURO regulation changes approved – UEFA.com
Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #1982
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Isn't that almost exactly how they went out in 2004?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #1983
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup, it was Sweden and Denmark playing to a 2-2 draw that knocked out Italy in 2004 as all three sides had 5 points and the tie was broken by number of goals scored in a head to head tiebreaker

UEFA Euro 2004 Group C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #1984
whomario
Pro Starter

this is one of the more lopsided games i´ve seen at a Euro or WC, Ireland is fighting admireably but absolutely no chance ...

cold as ice by Silva.

Shay Given decided to show up with a brilliant save, good for him. Before the 2:0 came a horrendous mistake by him.

Last edited by whomario : 06-14-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #1985
bhlloy
Coordinator

Unless you can make them respect you on the counter you have no chance against this Spain team. Not much cutting edge but you don't need it when you have 70% possession
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #1986
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Unless you can make them respect you on the counter you have no chance against this Spain team. Not much cutting edge but you don't need it when you have 70% possession

yep, they suffocate you and drain the life out of you with their style of play and ability top pressure as soon as they loose the ball (on the off chance that actually happens).

My big hope for Germany is the CB pairing Hummels/Badstuber being able to keep possession and open play vertically.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #1987
whomario
Pro Starter

i love the Irish fans
Old 06-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #1988
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Irish fans are the best in the tournament. Uncontested.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #1989
MIJB#19
Coordinator

No need for Group C scenarios, Spain and Croatia will draw 2-2, Spain wins the group, Croatia finishes second.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #1990
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
No need for Group C scenarios, Spain and Croatia will draw 2-2, Spain wins the group, Croatia finishes second.

I would like this, being half-Croatian that's who I root for.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #1991
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Grrrrr.

Fucking Chiellini.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #1992
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Irish fans are the best in the tournament. Uncontested.

""". That seems to be the consensus. I admire their upbeat nature when getting torn apart. Seems like a group worth drinking with.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 06-14-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #1993
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Just to be politically correct

Grp C Esp W Esp=Cro Cro W
Ita W 1.Esp,2.Ita 1.* 1.Cro,2.Ita
Ita=Irl 1.Esp,2.Cro 1.Esp,2.Cro 1.Cro,2.Esp
Irl W 1.Esp,2.Cro 1.Esp,2.Cro 1.Cro,2.Esp
* Ranking will go down to hthth, currently being Ita(2-2), Esp(1-1+), Cro(1-1+), with things going down to overall goal difference and goals scored if teams are still tied

Spain wins group with win or with a draw of 2-2 or higher or with a 1-1 draw and Italy not winning by 4 goals and scoring 5 or more goals**, still advance with a 0-0 draw, still advance with a loss + Italy loss or draw
Croatia wins group with win, still advance with a draw of 2-2 or higher, still advance with a 1-1 draw and Italy not winning by 2 or more goals and scoring at least 3 goals***, still advance with a loss + Italy loss or draw
Italy wins group with win + Spain-Croatia 0-0 draw or with Spain-Croatia 1-1 and Italy winning by 4 goals or more and scoring 5 or more goals**, still advance with win + either Spain or Croatia win, still advance with Spain-Croatia 1-1 draw and Italy winning by 2 or more goals and scoring at least 3 goals***
Ireland are done

** Complicated scenario 2: Esp 1-1 Cro, Ita 4-0 Irl
For 1st and 2nd place Spain vs Italy will be decided on UEFA national team coefficient, which is in Spain's advantage

*** Complicated scenario 1: Esp 1-1 Cro, Ita 3-1 Irl
Spain wins group, for 2nd Croatia vs Italy will be decided on UEFA national team coefficient, which is in Italy's advantage

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-15-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: minor fix
Old 06-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #1994
whomario
Pro Starter

have to reiterate how fucking awesome the Irish Fans were yesterday, this was a great moment to witness. My comment came before they started singing (the song is called Fields of Athenry if anyones wondering), when that went on i kinda lost it in a good way.
The german commentator even shut up and it seemed as everybody else in the satdium did the same to listen to them, just a great thing to happen.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #1995
Grover
Pro Starter

Juventus signing a pair of extremely handy players in Kwadwo Asamoah and Mauricio Isla.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #1996
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Called in sick today. I officially mark today as 'Get To Watch the Euros Live / Going To Play a Lot Of Football Manager As Well Day'.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #1997
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Ukraine-France suspended due to heavy rain and lightning. Grrrrr
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #1998
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The german commentator even shut up and it seemed as everybody else in the satdium did the same to listen to them, just a great thing to happen.

That was so simple but yet absolutely fantastic sports announcing. I wish more announcers understood that every minute of every broadcast does not need to be sullied by their voices. Can someone petition UEFA and FIFA to bring the Irish fans to every tournament?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #1999
miami_fan
Coordinator

Smile Kenny, Smile
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #2000
ColtCrazy
College Starter

YES! Let's go England! Great shot.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote