Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2016, 05:21 AM   #151
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Jim mentioned this quite some time ago in one of the blog posts, and it's confirmed in the Help File.I've seen people complaining about it, but I don't see that this is a big deal. It's not like the roster limit is large enough to carry so many active backups that the proper one to use isn't pretty obvious. I just pulled up a random FOF7 MP team of mine. I have the following active backups at each position:

QB: 3 (but in FOF8, I'll only need one, so the choice will be made for the AI)
RB: 2
FB: 1
TE: 2
WR: Carrying 5, and they can all be designated in the FOF8 charts
C: 1
G: 1
T: 1
DE: 2
DT: 1
ILB: 1
OLB: 1
CB: Carrying 5, and they can all be designated in the FOF8 charts)
S: 1

So out of 14 position groups that can't be specifically designated, only 3 of mine will even require a choice to be made by the AI. Of those three, the choices are:

RB: 41/41 vs. 28/31
TE: 37/37 vs. 21/26

DE: 48/48 vs. 47/47

So maybe I'm not happy with the backup DE choice the AI makes, maybe I am. Either way, I suspect that it's not worth the trouble to many players to have to fill in all of those boxes for what is very likely to be a very minimal gain.

In short, I suspect people complaining about this don't realize how infrequently it will even be a question. In places where it is, it seems that the simple solution is to keep just one backup active for that position group.

Personally would prefer more control over it and never thought it was tedious in the past. The computer does not know my intentions of whom I want to start and for what reason. If they simply make backup choices based on ratings, that might not be my goal especially if I am in rebuild mode. As for making only one backup player active to limit the computer choices, sure that will work until you experience multiple injuries at that position during the game.

Also, not sure how the personnel charts help with this either....if my WR gets injured in a game, how is it determined who replaces him? Again, guessing it is likely rating based somehow, but doesn't mean that would be the choice I would make.

I know it won't change so not going to gripe about it, but didn't seem like an area that really needed to change (or could have been incorporated in the new design somehow).

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 11-24-2016 at 05:23 AM.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #152
www2
n00b

Has anyone tried to import a save from FOF7....single player that is?
www2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #153
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by www2 View Post
Has anyone tried to import a save from FOF7....single player that is?

According to here you can't

http://www.solecismic.com/faq.php
Old 11-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #154
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Here are various logos I've collected and some I've made over the years. Remember to rename the Rams to ban86.

Simple File Sharing and Storage.

That link doesn't work either.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #155
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I've put the FOF7 logos back up. Index of /fof7downloads

I would think they'd work, other than STL/LA
Old 11-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #156
Sporkimata
High School JV

So can I even really play the game right now without access to the email screen? I am trying to figure out what all I would miss. I can check my injuries on the roster screen. I guess I would miss trade offers. Is there anywhere I would check for any players being banned?
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #157
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post

The main screen to get to windows is too complex, rolling the mouse over the screens just to get to options/screens that were available in 1 click from the previous version. I will get used to it, I just preferred having all my main windows open (i.e. Roster, Depth, Sim, Email, Record book) and then going to the options I want from the enormous list. The fact I have to find gameplanning by rolling over 2 areas and hoping I can click on the one I want before I "accidentally" roll over another screen will be frustrating for a while.

While I want to wait a bit longer before I start to make any judgments about the game or interface changes I do find I'm having trouble acclimating to the mouse over function. An option to allow selection to be by mouse click, as backwards as that may be, would be welcome by me.

Also, the keyboard shortcuts for N and P for Next and Previous is something I hope comes back.

Last edited by garion333 : 11-24-2016 at 08:51 AM.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #158
Sporkimata
High School JV

Some sort of text scaling would be nice too. I find the text to be so tiny on my 2k resolution screen. I can't imagine trying to read it on a 4k screen.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #159
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

The logos I used in fof7 work fine in fof8. I made this one for the Rams. Love the "blue and white" and have to think it will return next year. Sell everyone "gold" merchandise this year and then double dip next year with "blue and white". Got to love it
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ban86.bmp (128.8 KB, 298 views)
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #160
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Read the help file on Offensive Philosophy, there seem to be some questions answered (unless I totally missed this information in 7, but these seem to have been questions on this stuff before that is spelled out).

Defensive players can play out of position without penalty, offensive players do better in their exact position.

Difference between weight and ideal weight for position affects performance. A table of ideal weights is included.

QB weight does not matter, but height does. Taller WRs and TEs can better compete for thrown balls.

Combine numbers affect performance on the field - immediate question here is are they separate from bars now and not really a draft predictor?

Need to read the defensive page as well...
Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #161
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
While I want to wait a bit longer before I start to make any judgments about the game or interface changes I do find I'm having trouble acclimating to the mouse over function. An option to allow selection to be by mouse click, as backwards as that may be, would be welcome by me.

Also, the lack of N and P for Next and Previous is something I hope comes back.
I wonder how new players feel about this. Hard to say. For me, it's always going to take longer to get to where I need to be with this interface, simply because I had just about all of the 100 or so single-click menu items in FOF7 committed to muscle memory. I'm sure I'll have these mostly memorized soon enough, and perhaps its worth it to make the interface more accessible for newbies, but there's no way that having to mouse over (sometimes) two locations is ever going to be faster than going directly to the one spot I need.

That said, my guess is that this is a necessary trade-off for non-modal windows. The menu *must* be smaller than FOF7/FOF2K7, otherwise it'd be partially/fully covered almost all the time. I probably would have preferred dropdowns from up top rather than this setup, but in terms of how much I have to move the mouse, it's not really a big difference for me, since I'm working with three screens. I'd think that for single-screen people dropdowns would have been significantly better.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #162
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Jim, as I read more of the help file, I am more and more impressed with this update. This is HUGE, and lots of stuff we've been asking for. Coordinators are going to matter beyond ratings, you need to pick one that matches the offense / defense you want to run. Good info on height vs weight vs combines vs ratings, etc. Going to take quite some time to absorb it all, but I am very excited.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #163
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Jim, as I read more of the help file, I am more and more impressed with this update. This is HUGE, and lots of stuff we've been asking for.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #164
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
The logos I used in fof7 work fine in fof8. I made this one for the Rams. Love the "blue and white" and have to think it will return next year. Sell everyone "gold" merchandise this year and then double dip next year with "blue and white". Got to love it

Piss of Rams.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #165
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I guess you can't fire a coordinator during the season? Damn 3-4 defense with Cleveland.. yuck!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #166
zullojer
Mascot

[quote=SlyBelle1;3131243
1) Doesn't appear you can assign backup roles yourself anymore. For example, if I have (3) QBs on my roster, doesn't appear I can designate who the actual backup is. [/QUOTE]

you only need 2 qb's active now. i am only dressing 2 qb's as a way to designate who i want my backup to be
zullojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #167
sroy27
n00b

game player stats

How can I see the players stats when in game.
its no longer on the game score board like it was before.
Not good
sroy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #168
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Ben, there's a "Multi-Player Assign Lost Cap Room Screen" help page...
Old 11-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #169
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zullojer View Post
you only need 2 qb's active now. i am only dressing 2 qb's as a way to designate who i want my backup to be

I know and qb is just one example. You can't designate backups for any other position either, unless you try by deactivating players. If my wr or RBI gets hurt in a game, have to rely on computer making a decision for me who steps in. If I only dress 2 rb to dictate that, what happens if both rb get hurt, I don't have a 3rd on my roster then. I like the personnel packages, but they don't help in this situation.

I am sure I'll get used to it, just would have preferred the option to set my own depth chart instead.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #170
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ben, there's a "Multi-Player Assign Lost Cap Room Screen" help page...
Yeah I kinda noticed that.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #171
Ben E Lou

Oh, and I haven't fully tried to parse it all through, but from first reading of the MP docs, it would appear that some fairly significant initial setup processes have been made for the better. Some of this stuff also makes me think that it'll be less work on both commish and player end to replenish files, avoid past season mishaps, etc.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #172
zullojer
Mascot

really like the feature greg mentioned about coordinators. Saw that last night in my first off season and i like you have to hire a 34 defense coordinator to run a 34 defense.

Also liking the free agency position sorter. At first when i tried to view free agent defensive ends, i was like why the fuck is it showing dt's and some olb's. Well they all had attributes that would lend them well at defensive end after looking at the players. Kinda nice to see them all on the DE search instead of trying to search through 3 positions to find that tweener.

There were handful of other neat things but i should have been taking notes. lots of stuff i stumbled across in the wee hours last night that i loved, and have forgotten about already today to comment on.
zullojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #173
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I feel like a nitwit but where are the logos stored now? (i.e. where on my computer are the files that I want to replace?)
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #174
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Hmm so for Training Camp what the heck can I do and how do I set the traning camp schedule? I know stuck at the first step.

In my testing last night, I believe that you can only set your playbook plays, and bulk/trim down your players. It was a little time consuming, but I must admit these little additions have me enjoying the SP game more. I feel that i'm taking my time while reading everything on my player cards etc.

Last edited by djsatu : 11-24-2016 at 10:16 AM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #175
ezlee2
n00b

Quote:

Need to read the defensive page as well...

Can someone point me in that direction? I can't find the defensive document.
ezlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #176
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlee2 View Post
Can someone point me in that direction? I can't find the defensive document.
http://www.solecismic.com/downloads.php
Old 11-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #177
ezlee2
n00b

Thanks Ben!
ezlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #178
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
I feel like a nitwit but where are the logos stored now? (i.e. where on my computer are the files that I want to replace?)
Per the F.A.Q...

http://www.solecismic.com/faq.php

Quote:
I am trying to locate the saved game folders (universe, leagues, import, export) the game uses. Where are they?

These folders are in the AppData folder in your Users/Your_Profile_Name folder. However, these folders are hidden, by default, in Vista and Windows 7/8/10. So, in your file manager (File Explorer or My Computer or Computer on the Start Menu), go to Folder Options, click the View tab, and make sure you check the box to show Hidden files and folders.

Underneath the AppData folder, you'll find the files in Local/Solecismic Software/Front Office Football Eight.

If you are looking for the installation files, you'll find them in the Steam/SteamApps/common/Front Office Football Eight folder where you installed Steam. If you're interested in modifying the graphics files, you'll find them in the pictures folder. Just about everything that can be modded can be found there. You will no longer find any use for ResHack.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #179
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Reading the offensive file. QBs are only right handed? Has this always been true? Interesting I never noticed it if that's the case.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #180
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Barely had time to dig in, still in first preseason. But has players season info changed? I noticed going looking for players in the last year of their 4 year rookie contract, the player card says 3 years experience. So was this changed? If so, it's very confusing for a guy in his 4th year to show 3 on the card.

If this switches to 4 when I get to the regular season, disregard.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #181
cankles
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
First thoughts:

Interesting that the player's award history, personality, injuries, and transaction history are are now one extra click away. I did like having all that information so readily available. Personally, my first impression is that those are more useful than the combines. I like to take a "journalist" approach to the game where I look at a player's history while writing about them... this will make that one click away. Step back for me.

Happy the "Player Attributes" screen is now clickable from the main roster screen.

Jay Cutler came out with higher attributes than Aaron Rodgers on my first game. Unplayable.

Started training camp, game stopped working correctly and had to close. Maybe because I accidentally clicked the button to advance through TC before I had created a playbook. For some reason I thought it would be the button that had me set the training camp settings... I see that's no longer a part of the game. That's fine.

That game wasn't saved, I can't open it, but now I can't use the same game name on my second startup.

Annoying that "Close Window" on the Roster Screen doesn't have a keyboard shortcut and can't be done with "escape"... but I guess you don't have to close that screen anymore so it doesn't totally matter.

Wow... no keyboard shortcut for "Previous" and "Next" when looking at a player card? This is absolutely going to make going through players more time-consuming. Both on my roster and the free agents but especially the free agents. Just got to the first offseason... wow it makes going through rookies too. Why was this keyboard shortcut taken away? This is the most frustrating part for me so far.

Game planning now seems tedious. Was much faster just to tweak percentages from game to game. Playcalling, however, is simpler and more fun I guess. I might tool around with that since I never have before.

I really preferred the old option of having all screens a click away, instead of having to mouse roll through different categories to find what I want. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

For the Grey Sheet, when it says "Stage" it is unclear what that means. Vets will know it means "Stage desired to sign in" or whatever, but that is in no way intuitive or communicated to the new player.

From the "Free Agency" screens, there is no easy way to get to the Roster page / Free Agent list. What's up with that?

My impression is that it's way too easy "Begin Training Camp" and forget to set your Playbook. Since this is such a crucial moment of the game, there should be more of a warning if you didn't change your playbook from the last year.

Simmed 20 years, took about an hour and 20 minutes, stats look pretty solid as far as records go.

The addition of extra clicks is a disaster from my point of view. Having to hover through something like a dozen mouseover menus to get to click things that used to all be on one screen, is a disaster. The justification for the a visually primitive GUI has always been ease-of-use, and now that's gone. I'm gonna continue playing with this through the weekend but there's a good chance I'm just gonna go back to FOF7 if none of the new features grab me.
cankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #182
Ned Doolittle
Banned

purchased. been a while since i last played a FOF game. its like riding a bike i'm sure.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #183
Ben E Lou

THAT POST BELONGS IN THE OTHER THREAD, ASTON!!!!1
Old 11-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #184
Ben E Lou

Joking aside, I think this is a big discussion, and should have its own thread. It's here, and I moved aston's post there:

Rex Vs. Human Game Planning In FOF8 MP--A Philosophical Discussion - Front Office Football Central

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-24-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #185
Pyser
Pro Rookie

special teams designations are gone? thank goodness!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #186
Pyser
Pro Rookie

also, agree that the keyboard shortcuts for next and previous are sorely missed on player cards...however, they are still there for the coach draft. so hopefully Jim can add again pretty easily?
Old 11-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #187
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
special teams designations are gone? thank goodness!

You can still control which players can play ST's....don't forget about your KR and PR guys...set them to Y even if their ST rating sucks.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-24-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #188
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
You can still control which players can play ST's....don't forget about your KR and PR guys...set them to Y even if their ST rating sucks.

totally missed that button. not gone. damn.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #189
MrBug708
Head Coach

The amount of crashes are pretty frustrating. I try to save often, but I hate to see my progress down the drain because I didnt save every couple of minutes. Oh well, going to wait for a patch.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #190
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Just one of the minutia details that keep the detailed folks happy and a slight edge to those who detail. Or remember to detail.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #191
rush_27
n00b

Are player ratings changing on a week to week basis? Or is it just me? I have also noticed that the AI aren't playing their best players. Such as a 70/70 CB being left out for a 40/40 CB during regular season games
rush_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #192
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Also, the keyboard shortcuts for N and P for Next and Previous is something I hope comes back.
Same here about the P and N buttons. They used to be my best friends for browsing through my roster and the draft, player by player.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #193
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by zullojer View Post
really like the feature greg mentioned about coordinators. Saw that last night in my first off season and i like you have to hire a 34 defense coordinator to run a 34 defense.

I love this feature...makes staff draft/hiring in MP extremely important. Though it would probably all go to waste if you could not specify the type of coach you were looking for in MP before exporting your file, eg, I have the perfect personnel for a 3-4 but I can't choose to only hire a 3-4 coach (regardless of their rating).
Old 11-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #194
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Is there a single guide or post somewhere on how to get FOF set up for today's NFL? i.e. logos, team names, player files, etc?

I know I've done it before but I can't remember where everything is, or what has to be done manually vs. can just be imported.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #195
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Is there a single guide or post somewhere on how to get FOF set up for today's NFL? i.e. logos, team names, player files, etc?

I know I've done it before but I can't remember where everything is, or what has to be done manually vs. can just be imported.
Team names is under Controls, Options, edit franchise nicknames (and edit city names if you want "New York" Jets).
Player files is done at the start of a career by selecting not to use alternate player file.
For coaches set it to use coach names file.

I'm not sure about logo's yet, though.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #196
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Player files is done at the start of a career by selecting not to use alternate player file.
For coaches set it to use coach names file.
Do the player and coach files come with the game?
Old 11-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #197
keeks
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Do the player and coach files come with the game?

I was super confused about the coaches part. Players file comes with the game yes, and Coaches file I thought was custom but you just have to click the yes button that defaults to No
keeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #198
Nemesis
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

And you get to see ST bars for your DL.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #199
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Same here about the P and N buttons. They used to be my best friends for browsing through my roster and the draft, player by player.

+1

Looks interesting after a couple of hours of just playing around, looking at the various screens, going through training camp, and reading the key game concept articles

I think I'll be playing the same way as before, Rexing game planning (it's still a bit overwhelming, but less so than before on first impressions), but there is going to be a bit more thought in personnel and depth chart decisions.

Worrying that I've have had two crashes in this process though (both reported in the crashes thread)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #200
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
I was super confused about the coaches part. Players file comes with the game yes, and Coaches file I thought was custom but you just have to click the yes button that defaults to No
Sweet, thanks.