Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #201
AlexB
Pro Starter

Also learned through reading the help a bit more than before that what (for me) had become a confused issue has been clarified:
Interviewing affects the ability to narrow down ranges from rookie interviews
Scouting affects the ratings you see for veteran players

(I had read a thread somewhere that suggested this might not be as black and white as the above)

Last edited by AlexB : 11-24-2016 at 04:34 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #202
zullojer
Mascot

clearing cap by using cap outs at the beginning of free agency is now a thing of the past it looks like. keep getting a " client wants at least a 4yr contract at this stage of free agency" and won't let me cap someone out with 2 years on their contract.
zullojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:03 AM   #203
keeks
n00b

are Draw plays possible to make?
keeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:17 AM   #204
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zullojer View Post
clearing cap by using cap outs at the beginning of free agency is now a thing of the past it looks like. keep getting a " client wants at least a 4yr contract at this stage of free agency" and won't let me cap someone out with 2 years on their contract.
Hmmmm......based on the way the blog post was written about shorter FA contracts, I'm not sure that this is intended behavior. I'll add it to the bug thread.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #205
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Also learned through reading the help a bit more than before that what (for me) had become a confused issue has been clarified:
Interviewing affects the ability to narrow down ranges from rookie interviews
Scouting affects the ratings you see for veteran players

(I had read a thread somewhere that suggested this might not be as black and white as the above)

This is the same as before (FOF 7). The only thing we still don't know now or then is how much weight is given to coordinators and coaches in Interviewing and Scouting. See the old thread here: FOF7 - Staff Draft and Staff Role Thoughts - Front Office Football Central
Old 11-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #206
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

You know what would be nice and I might be in the super minority with this request. A player editor. I like to create super players around the league and track their progress, however that's not possible in this game.

Any chance Jim adds it or is this wish a nonstarter?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #207
Caligari
Mascot

You know what I would like?

Access to the Personnel charts during the off-season, so when I'm signing people I can get a sense of how they might fit into the array of roles and formations...
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #208
Ben E Lou

Being able to have my team roster open during the draft and free agency is teh awesome.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #209
Zee
n00b

My main TE got injured, and it won't let me edit the playbook until I have 3 active TE's. So I have to carry 4 TE's and drop another player? It won't let me into the playbook to remove the 3 TE's plays, or substitute my FB for that slot.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #210
rush_27
n00b

Top CB's are being left out of the starting line-up on AI teams. Inferior players are getting more game time. Is this a bug?
rush_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #211
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush_27 View Post
Top CB's are being left out of the starting line-up on AI teams. Inferior players are getting more game time. Is this a bug?

I've had the same thing happen.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #212
TroyF
Coordinator

Not sure if anyone has noticed this or not, so if it has already been said I apologize in advance.

If you go to controls/choose-edit display options, there is a box marked "restrict pop ups when hovering on player and home town information"

If you uncheck that box, everything in the player screen will pop up when you hover over it. You can get a full personality report, see all injuries, see the agent information, awards and view agent information without having to do another click.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #213
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:

See the bugs thread where I'm reporting that certain positions don't have their bars showing up in a Recommended search.

I'm thinking the reason lesser players are being slotted in is because the game isn't recognizing the pass D bars on the corners and Lbs and is instead slotting them in based on other factors like run D.

Last edited by garion333 : 11-25-2016 at 08:19 AM.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #214
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Being able to have my team roster open during the draft and free agency is teh awesome.

This is a great feature, Jim did a great job on this version and it's only going to get better.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #215
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:

I have had the same happen with my best safety.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #216
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I have had the same happen with my best safety.
Safeties have search issues like CBs. I'll bet whatever's causing these search issues is also messing up the AI's ability to evaluate them.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-25-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #217
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
See the bugs thread where I'm reporting that certain positions don't have their bars showing up in a Recommended search.

I'm thinking the reason lesser players are being slotted in is because the game isn't recognizing the pass D bars on the corners and Lbs and is instead slotting them in based on other factors like run D.

This is happening to me as well. I think it is related to man-to-man, not run D based on my observations. I'm seeing guys with marginally better MtM starting over players with better ratings in most everything else except for that.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #218
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligari View Post
You know what I would like?

Access to the Personnel charts during the off-season, so when I'm signing people I can get a sense of how they might fit into the array of roles and formations...

Have to agree - I never understood the thinking behind having that stuff be off limits for so much of the offseason cycle.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #219
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
This is happening to me as well. I think it is related to man-to-man, not run D based on my observations. I'm seeing guys with marginally better MtM starting over players with better ratings in most everything else except for that.

It actually looks like MtM is absolute king here. Not sure if that's intended but it appears to be what the AI is weighting extremely heavily or exclusively. Not sure if there's any variance between schemes.

Edit to add: Tough to think through scout error, etc. But I'll at least lean hard in the direction that Zone is playing a much larger role in the calculation of a CB's overall rating than it is in the AI's playing time allocation algorithm. Again, not sure if that's intended.

Last edited by MalcPow : 11-25-2016 at 10:48 AM.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #220
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have been letting the staff dictate my depth chart... but I'm frustrated by a number of their decisions:

-I have a very old CB Joe Haden (4 year captain), whom we rate at 28/28 (much of that attributable to KR skills)... and the AI is starting him at LCB in nearly every formation ahead of a much younger guy rated 63/63 and very well suited to play as a tarting CB. There's no major differential in single ratings, either, both guys are fairly low in zone and better at the other two coverages. (Haden at 36/0/34 and the other guy at 68/20/93)

-I have a specialty pass-rush-only guy slotted as the only WLB on my True 34 roster (literally a zero in run D, but solid in the pass rush skills)..but on the Recommend screen, I see him being pulled for a DE in the base formation (um, okay, not awful) but then being used as our starting SLB quite a lot of the time in other situations, and once as a DE, while other guys are used as the WLB. (I have a quality 63/63 guy slotted at SLB, he's by far a better fir for SLB) The WLB guy is a natural 3-4 WLB on his card. FWIW, on the "exact position match" setting for defense, Rex is using a 3/10 (but 7/10 on offense).

Nothing showstoping here, but it's enough that I see myself needing to invest a lot more time into depth chart decisions in multiplayer FOF 8.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #221
TroyF
Coordinator

Start the game as my beloved Broncos. Sim forward 12 years. Look over the roster, it's horrible. (which is fine, I'm good with that) A nice young QB who was drafted with the fourth pick last year. Good, that'll work.

Go to coaches screen. head coach: Josh McDaniels. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #222
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post
It actually looks like MtM is absolute king here. Not sure if that's intended but it appears to be what the AI is weighting extremely heavily or exclusively. Not sure if there's any variance between schemes.

Edit to add: Tough to think through scout error, etc. But I'll at least lean hard in the direction that Zone is playing a much larger role in the calculation of a CB's overall rating than it is in the AI's playing time allocation algorithm. Again, not sure if that's intended.

Yeah, kind of tough to determine if Rex is completely broken, seeing some of the coverage bars or all the coverage bars (with Recommend player screen only not seeing them).

My guess is it's slotting them not by coverage bars at all and we're incorrectly trying to attribute Rex with something it isn't doing. It might be as simple as returning a null value and in setting the oldest guys when we hit Rex.

Last edited by garion333 : 11-25-2016 at 11:33 AM.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #223
Ben E Lou

Here's something I've never been able to do in previous versions: I drafted very light LB in the 5th round, weight-trained him down, and he did a successful switch to Safety. Nothing magical, but he's 29/46 and should be at worst a decent backup.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #224
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

I don´t know if someone reported this or no yet, or how to solve it. I am having a problem trying to drag the offensive personal screen across the monitor... Any suggestions? The defensive personnel works fine
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #225
Ben E Lou

Fun With The Spread Offense

Quick-Simmed 2016-2029 to start my first real career. Took over Atlanta. In the Staff Draft, there was a monster OC available to me (90s playcalling, 80s scouting, 80s player dev and young talent). Only problem was that he is a Spread Offense guy and my QB sucked at running. I traded for a upper 40s guy with good wheels, and filled out the roster. I let Rex create the entire playbook and added a few designed QB runs to the game plan. Used the same one every week. These were the year 1 results:

Fun stuff so far.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #226
Hammer
College Prospect

Pretty poor ypr for the QB. Will be interesting to see just how well the QB spy works and if QB designed runs are even worth calling against a team who is consistently playing the spy. Plus just how much the spy hurts pass defense.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #227
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Pretty poor ypr for the QB.
Not for using him as a primary ball carrier.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #228
Nemesis
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Not for using him as a primary ball carrier.

^This

I bet if you were able to figure out which of the runs were planned QB runs vs scrambles from a pass, you'd see more yards per rush on the scrambles. I noticed it when trying some shenanigans with Cam Newton.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #229
Hammer
College Prospect

Yeah exactly, higher ypc on the scrambles. So you won't be making 4.8 ypc as a primary ball carrier. If you are using a guy with "good wheels" a good proportion of those runs will be scrambles...which typically see 7 ypc or so. Doesn't sound a very healthy average for the designed runs to me.

I don't know if Jim is raising the injuries risk factor for ball carriers in this version, but it is also worth keeping an eye out for. In the real world if you are using a QB as a designed ball carrier you need to be doing very well out of it.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #230
zullojer
Mascot

either way, it's still cool to see a QB with 674 rushing yards and the ability to put together a game plan to utilize a dual threat qb.
zullojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #231
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Do Quarterback Completion percentages seem on the significantly high side for anyone else?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #232
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
Do Quarterback Completion percentages seem on the significantly high side for anyone else?

It was pretty high in FOF7. I think it's that high to inflate passing yards. There was a patch in FOF7 where Jim adjusted that aspect of the game to make it more realistic.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #233
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post

The NFL league QB completion percentage was 63.0 in 2015 and 62.6 in 2014. I'm seeing similar numbers in my testing.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #234
Caligari
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
My main TE got injured, and it won't let me edit the playbook until I have 3 active TE's. So I have to carry 4 TE's and drop another player? It won't let me into the playbook to remove the 3 TE's plays, or substitute my FB for that slot.

You have to have 3 TEs now on your team, regardless of your playbook. This is a change from FOF7.
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #235
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
The NFL league QB completion percentage was 63.0 in 2015 and 62.6 in 2014. I'm seeing similar numbers in my testing.

A better way to gauge it is just do a fast sim of around 20 seasons and see if it deviates a lot or not.

Last edited by wustin : 11-25-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #236
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
A better way to gauge it is just do a fast sim of around 20 seasons and see if it deviates a lot or not.

My post was not made casually. 11 seasons of FOF 8 data with the average completion percentage over that span within a 1% of current NFL averages.

I'm in a lot of FOF 7 MP leagues as well. After checking the history of those leagues, FOF 7 QB completion percentages were not inflated in that version either.

If there is one thing Jim does very well, it's simulating macro NFL statistics.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #237
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
My post was not made casually. 11 seasons of FOF 8 data with the average completion percentage over that span within a 1% of current NFL averages.

I'm in a lot of FOF 7 MP leagues as well. After checking the history of those leagues, FOF 7 QB completion percentages were not inflated in that version either.

If there is one thing Jim does very well, it's simulating macro NFL statistics.

I still think the high end of the curve is too high. Even in FOF7 I would have a few teams over 70% completion a season. Pretty sure only 1 or 2 teams in the NFL have gone 71>x>70 in the last 15 years. I'm going to do another quick sim of 20 seasons again to make sure.

Also on another note the AI does a much better job drafting for team needs and finding studs in the mid rounds.

Last edited by wustin : 11-25-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:36 AM   #238
Ben E Lou

Observation: I'm only in my third offseason where I'm actually paying attention, and one concern has already been assuaged: after just a couple of seasons, I already have a very good idea of the optimal weights for each position, and some are committed to memory; I'm playing the 3-4, and I can already recognize the DL and LB guys who are weight fits for this system. I'd been concerned about people having to consult the weight charts for every draft pick in order to optimize.

Quote:
Also on another note the AI does a much better job drafting for team needs and finding studs in the mid rounds.
Either the AI is a *lot* better at drafting, or I'm a *lot* worse. Either way, so far that's making it more challenging to build a team in SP than in the past.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:28 AM   #239
Ben E Lou

Is it just me, or are there more 50ish-rated players in this version? Maybe this is intentional to make "fits" be more important?
Old 11-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #240
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just curious if anyone else noticing receiving stats a bit down....after simming a number of seasons, often only have 1 or 2 players that exceed 100 catches and total yards for high end players in the 1300 range...I know there isn't a ton in real life, but have seen them be greater than this especially for some receivers.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #241
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Just curious if anyone else noticing receiving stats a bit down....after simming a number of seasons, often only have 1 or 2 players that exceed 100 catches and total yards for high end players in the 1300 range...I know there isn't a ton in real life, but have seen them be greater than this especially for some receivers.
I think FOF8 may spread the ball around a bit more than real life, but I don't see anything that I'd consider egregious there. In my current 15-season career, a couple of guys have exceeded 130 catches in a season (done only 3 times in the NFL, all three in the last 15 years), and in a 50-year sim, the single-season record for yards was 1,918, which is very close to real life. There was a lot of discussion with FOF7 in particular about the NFL's inflated offensive stats the last few years and how the game should respond to those. If he's still centering on 5ish-year averages rather than just the current season, as he did in the past, it should be expected that the overall numbers in FOF8 will be a little lower than the current season's NFL. That said, overall passing/receiving stats are passing the sniff test quite well: league-wide QB rating in the 2016 NFL is 89.2. In my current career the last five seasons have been 85.4, 87.4, 87.1, 89.2, and 89.1.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #242
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post

AI has issues with how it starts WRs and DBs. I had a 53/76 SE and rex kept starting a 45/45 SE over it. I just finished simming 60 seasons (with 200 injury rating) and only two receivers have gotten more than 1000 catches. I'm going to sim another 20.

Last edited by wustin : 11-26-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #243
Ben E Lou

Quote:
AI has issues with how it starts WRs and DBs.
What issues with WRs? No one has reported that to the bug thread.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #244
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
What issues with WRs? No one has reported that to the bug thread.

The same problem the game has with cornerbacks? I would double check again to make sure but I'm quicksimming.

It could just be the AI spreading the offense more but I'm pretty sure I had a season where my 45/45 SE just plain out had priority over a stud SE.

Last edited by wustin : 11-26-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #245
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Is it just me, or are there more 50ish-rated players in this version? Maybe this is intentional to make "fits" be more important?

No data to back this up yet, but I was thinking the same. I'm about ten seasons in
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #246
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think FOF8 may spread the ball around a bit more than real life, but I don't see anything that I'd consider egregious there. In my current 15-season career, a couple of guys have exceeded 130 catches in a season (done only 3 times in the NFL, all three in the last 15 years), and in a 50-year sim, the single-season record for yards was 1,918, which is very close to real life. There was a lot of discussion with FOF7 in particular about the NFL's inflated offensive stats the last few years and how the game should respond to those. If he's still centering on 5ish-year averages rather than just the current season, as he did in the past, it should be expected that the overall numbers in FOF8 will be a little lower than the current season's NFL. That said, overall passing/receiving stats are passing the sniff test quite well: league-wide QB rating in the 2016 NFL is 89.2. In my current career the last five seasons have been 85.4, 87.4, 87.1, 89.2, and 89.1.

Certainly nothing hugely wrong, but would like to see a little more to it...but if it is based on multiple season average, then I can see why it is doing it that way. Plus, seems like quite a bit TE's in the list, which certainly is OK for some, just more than I thought ahead of big time players like Jones, Brown, etc. (although I realize they won't match real life 100%).

Again, not a big deal, just would like to see some minor tweaking....
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #247
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Observation: I'm only in my third offseason where I'm actually paying attention, and one concern has already been assuaged: after just a couple of seasons, I already have a very good idea of the optimal weights for each position, and some are committed to memory; I'm playing the 3-4, and I can already recognize the DL and LB guys who are weight fits for this system. I'd been concerned about people having to consult the weight charts for every draft pick in order to optimize.

Having height / weight colorized in DraftAnalyzer and PlayerTracker is high on my list right now, 'cause I'm too old to remember stuff like this.

I'd like to see FOF colorize these for good/bad, and start colorizing combines (along with height / weight) on the Player Record.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #248
Millerp33
n00b

Has anyone noticed that the "Change Name" tab on other teams rosters isn't working? Nothing crazy but just something i've seen
Millerp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #249
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Quote:

Hopefully FOF 8 will begin generating heavier OLBs. In FOF 7, I don't recall many elite pass rushing 34 style WLBs weighting around 260 lbs. I have not been through enough drafts to gauge that.

But I suppose moving a light DE to WLB would be an option.

Last edited by Dawgfan19 : 11-26-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #250
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Are player ratings changing on a week to week basis? Or is it just me? I have also noticed that the AI aren't playing their best players. Such as a 70/70 CB being left out for a 40/40 CB during regular season games

Edit - I think I was looking at the wrong player card

Last edited by AlexB : 11-26-2016 at 09:57 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote