Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Anyone else noticing unusual/new bar patterns in FOF8?

I don't have data to prove it, but it seems like there are perhaps new "player types" being created in FOF8---guys who are really good in a few areas, but very lacking in others. I've been seeing some fun opportunities to creatively use these guys so far. Anyway, I'm wondering if it's just me getting "lucky" with having some odd guys available, or if there are actually more specific-skilled guys. (Or perhaps the new game-planning allows me to use guys with more laser focus, and that's why I'm noticing them more...)

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Yeah, I've noticed alot of QB's without timing but i prefer that. Plus, I've noticed the drafts are stacked with talent compared to 7.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Hammer
College Prospect

Zero timing in great QBs has been around a long time. Quite a few of those about in previous versions. Seemed like a good sign with that timing bar far to the left. I haven't noticed any new patterns.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes and I was going to post this a few days ago. Plus, ratings in general can have big swings, at least bigger than v7 did.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
WilleB
H.S. Freshman Team

There are some on the defensive side I'll have to test as I don't have time for SP. Hoping they work out, but we'll see. Interesting looking that's for sure. I know it does work for tight ends. Can get a lot more out of them than I ever have in any version and didn't have to try that hard.
WilleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

FOF7 would generate guys with a couple really good bars and a couple really bad bars, but they would get ignored so not really noticed. I don't know that FOF8 is all that different in that regard, but certainly could be.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
FOF7 would generate guys with a couple really good bars and a couple really bad bars, but they would get ignored so not really noticed. I don't know that FOF8 is all that different in that regard, but certainly could be.

+1
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:10 AM   #8
TAFIV
n00b

had a weird one in SP that turned out amazing

CB 6' 0" 195 lbs
M2M 100
B&R 85
Play diag 50
INT 30
END 60
everything else at 0-10
overall rating was around 40-45 i think

turned out to be my top CB for several seasons outplaying CBs with 70-75 overall rating he ended up having around an 80-83% PD rating every year

Last edited by TAFIV : 01-26-2017 at 04:11 AM.
TAFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFIV View Post
M2M 100
B&R 85

That's why. IMHO studly bars in Pass D make up for any other deficiencies a player has. In this case, he has crap Zone, but that's cool because he's a boss when it comes to M2M.

I have no idea the thread anymore, but there was some discussion about OL who have stud Run Blk and Strength, but zero for Pass Blk. They may give up a good chunk of more sacks than someone with decent or good Pass Blocking, but they more than make up for that by being a beast in Run Blocking. And the sacks rates generally topped around 1.8% to 2.0%.

It's the guys that aren't studly in some way and who have zeros in important bars that can't quite make up for that deficiency.

Obviously it all comes down to scheme and whatnot, but a couple stud coverage bars in a CB? Doesn't much matter what the rest looks like as he'll perform. Maybe not get as many picks as you want, but bunches of passes defensed probably.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

Ok, here's a concrete example. I just drafted this guy in the IHOF. I checked my FOF7 files, and there was *never* a player that showed up with low_run_defense=0, and with the rest of his bars this high.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
Mobarak
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Ok, here's a concrete example. I just drafted this guy in the IHOF. I checked my FOF7 files, and there was *never* a player that showed up with low_run_defense=0, and with the rest of his bars this high.

He was on my board. I was most likely moving him to FS
Mobarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #12
Ben E Lou

Post-draft first look at him...

Old 05-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

I would keep him at CB due to size and Ss need to tackle after short completions
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
I would keep him at CB due to size and Ss need to tackle after short completions
I moved all the size posts to the size thread, and to be 100% clear, this thread isn't about how I'm going to use this guy or that; it's about bar patterns that are new in FOF8
Old 05-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
AlexB
Pro Starter

Out of interest, how have you found cover CBs like this perform with low interception ratings?

It always puts me off, but seeing you draft him is making me wonder now. Or is it more an experiment to see how the rookie bar pattern translates?

Last edited by AlexB : 05-12-2017 at 12:05 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #16
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Guys like this will have lower numbers when it comes to PDPct, they'll fall in at 79-80 or so, but they are generally very effective anyway. Their numbers will look lower because instead of intercepting 5-10 balls they will knock down 15 or more and only pick off one or two. They're the kind of steady guy who can quietly start and never really be a liability in the pass game. Now his run D is questionable.. He's probably best suited as a nickel corner, but should be quite valuable in that role.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 AM   #17
Hammer
College Prospect

Interceptions versus passes defended is an interesting one. I don't know if there is a calculated measure out there, but I always reckoned on an interception equalling around 4-5 passes defended. Teams will often gain a 1st after a pass defended. Interceptions often yield return yardage, even touchdowns apart from change of posession guaranteed.

I always go for the interception bar first and foremost. It takes 3 bars to make the perfect cover corner. Many years ago stat analysis in this game indicated 25 points on the interception bar yielded 1 extra interception per season on average.

I have a gut feeling there are diminishing returns in having a secondary stacked with high interception bars. Just off experience.

Last edited by Hammer : 05-13-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
Mobarak
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Interceptions versus passes defended is an interesting one. I don't know if there is a calculated measure out there, but I always reckoned on an interception equalling around 4-5 passes defended. Teams will often gain a 1st after a pass defended. Interceptions often yield return yardage, even touchdowns apart from change of posession guaranteed.

I always go for the interception bar first and foremost. It takes 3 bars to make the perfect cover corner. Many years ago stat analysis in this game indicated 25 points on the interception bar yielded 1 extra interception per season on average.

I have a gut feeling there are diminishing returns in having a secondary stacked with high interception bars. Just off experience.

Very useful for information, I often find it unnecessary for my 4th and 5th CB to have high interception.. If they are coming in on 3rd and long etc, a pass defended generally ends the drive. Makes it a lot easier to find effective players for those roles in later rounds.
Mobarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, I think there was at least one: http://www.fof-ihof.com/playercard.php?playerid=49735
You've got to look quickly though, he's bound to lose ratings in pre-season due to the nasty injury he's recovering from.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Actually, I think there was at least one: http://www.fof-ihof.com/playercard.php?playerid=49735
You've got to look quickly though, he's bound to lose ratings in pre-season due to the nasty injury he's recovering from.
I'm guessing that guy's original endurance wasn't high enough to show up in the query.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #21
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

I consider INTs apart from the rest when evaluating performance. I just look at the catch rate more than anything 1 per 12 or 13 dropbavks seems about average for CBs
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #22
TheRivals40
n00b

Never seen someone like this
CBL ADMIRALS: 2016 and 18 BACK2BACK CBL CHAMPS!!
TheRivals40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #23
zbuckley
n00b

Quote:
Post-draft first look at him...

Will you post his post PS2 screenshot? I think either way if his Run D is either heavily masked or doesn't move at all it will be surprising. If feel like in prior FOF versions a prospect like him would show up with only red on his run D and he'd get the development creep.
zbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
garion333
High School Varsity

If the screenshot was from post-TC then that RunD is going to be 0 forever.

I can't recall if volatility can make a 0 bar be not 0.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #25
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Potential draftee in current GML draft:
Attached Images
File Type: png LelandTafoya.PNG (37.5 KB, 205 views)
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #26
zbuckley
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post

That's very strange, it's almost like the run D bar has zero correlation with all the other combine scores.
zbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #27
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post

Here he is post-PS2:
Attached Images
File Type: png TafoyaPS2.PNG (111.0 KB, 163 views)
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:04 PM   #28
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Gertrude Winslett. Nice.

FUCK EA
Old 06-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #29
garion333
High School Varsity

From the GML. Not used to seeing QBs with 0 in SR and RD, but be rated 67 future.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:36 AM   #30
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

He's also 5'9" - Seems like one of those decently rated QB's who will spend his career under performing and bouncing from team to team as GM's trade him for less and less every couple years or so.

FUCK EA
Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 AM   #31
jimbowan
n00b

Another just drafted star QB in CCFL with 0 RD

http://ccfl.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=5774

Last edited by jimbowan : 06-15-2017 at 01:38 AM.
jimbowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:55 AM   #32
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowan View Post
Another just drafted star QB in CCFL with 0 RD

http://ccfl.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=5774

LOL @ 'franchise'. No pressure, son, no pressure
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote