Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #1151
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
People who don't get soccer will complain about a 0-0 tie and those who know soccer understand that was an absolutely great tie.

Spot on
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #1152
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
People who don't get soccer will complain about a 0-0 tie and those who know soccer understand that was an absolutely great tie.

"". Yup. That was a great fucking game - lots of highlights, lots of action. Would have liked to see the US attack more, but can't blame them for playing for 1 here.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #1153
Easy Mac

After 20 years of getting screwed by CONCACAF refs, I think the us could afford some help for once.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #1154
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
we better fucking win or it could be Kaput for Klinsman.

so after 4 points since then including the one @ Mexico. ill just shut my stupid mouth from now on
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #1155
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'll take it! Very lucky, but great play by Biesler and Gonzalez.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #1156
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 3m
Press section getting hit with objects from above. Female NPR journo hit in the back. Here we go.

Stay Classy Mexico :P
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #1157
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i wonder if el chepo starts getting calls for his head in the mex media tomorrow?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #1158
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
so after 4 points since then including the one @ Mexico. ill just shut my stupid mouth from now on

Or maybe keep taunting him!
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #1159
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 3m
Press section getting hit with objects from above. Female NPR journo hit in the back. Here we go.

Stay Classy Mexico :P

that is "classy" from Mexico. be lucky they arent piss bags and fire bombs
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #1160
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

beasley-guzan for starting XI!
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #1161
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Or maybe keep taunting him!

your right. its the games we shouldnt win under klinsy that we pull out, its the dreaded "we should win" games that we struggle under him
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #1162
rowech
Pro Starter

So does Mexico's coach get fired?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #1163
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alexi Lalas annoys me. I think he is wrong a good 75% of the time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #1164
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

that shirt looks like underoos on klinsy
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #1165
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
So does Mexico's coach get fired?

nothing Mexico does would surprise me. well if they hire bruce arena i would be surprised
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #1166
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Good to see Guzan continuing to get opportunities and excel. I've been high on him for awhile.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #1167
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The Univision feed had a different angle that showed the Mexican player kicked the ground before Edu clobbered him. Edu never actually touched the ball. It still could have easily been awarded a penalty though. It is one of those gray areas where the contact didn't affect the shot but Edu still tackled in a dangerous manner.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #1168
whomario
Pro Starter

I love watching the games from Mexico because of the uniquenes (i swear, even the telecast colouring looks distinct) and f.e. found the U17 World Cup games a while back just incredible, but hearing theese stories every time the US plays there makes me wonder why no action has been taken yet ? At the least, just have the matchup take place some other stadium.
Of course, theese things are happening for certain matchups here as well but to my knowledge the abuse against opositions fans isnīt quite that obvious (then again, most stadiums you can isolate a group of fans for protection way easier than in Azteca), but still ...

In the european Qualifying no big shocks yesterday (however, on Friday Spain only managed a 1:1 against Finland)

Spain with a huge (and deserved) away win over France that puts them in the drivers seat for winning the group (had they lost it would have been 4 points behind, now 2 ahead). France played extremely physical but spain played throgh it (not even much flopping ...). France played pretty well themselves, Valdez with a huge game in goal for spain.

Germany again tested playing without a real striker as an alternative (considering Gomez is on the bench at Bayern, Klose often injured and being 36 at next years WC and no young player in sight), playing Mario Götze up front and rotating players around in the final third..

After an easy 3:0 in Kasachstan (on artificial turf and the game starting at midnight local time), there was an amazingly weird game against Kasachstan again at home. They had 28-4 shots (including 6 times hitting the woodwork) and 75+% posession and at times looked like the best team ever with some utterly ridiculous passing in very tiny spaces (Kasachstan essentially played in a 5-5-0 formation). And still, after going up 3:0 at the half, the very first minutes of the 2nd half Kasachstan out of nowhere sent the soccer equivalent of a full court press and surprised german GK into giving up the ball (avoided the first kasachstan player only to be blindsided by the 2nd with the 3rd grabbing the rebound and scoring an empty netter).
OK, 3:1, no problem. But then the kasachstan GK became unbeatable (plus, aforementioned hitting of the woodwork) and all of a sudden Kasachstanb hit the post on a Free Kick and then had a 3:2 break that was only stopped by a german player right before the the goal line...

4:1 in the end, but weird as hell.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-27-2013 at 04:17 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #1169
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I love watching the games from Mexico because of the uniquenes (i swear, even the telecast colouring looks distinct) and f.e. found the U17 World Cup games a while back just incredible, but hearing theese stories every time the US plays there makes me wonder why no action has been taken yet ? At the least, just have the matchup take place some other stadium.
Because Jack Warner was one of Sepp Blatter's cronies. I know the exact people have changed, but it's still the same corrupt FIFA and CONCACAF.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #1170
Easy Mac

So Fox Soccer is officially dying.

FOX Soccer’s Days Are Numbered With Upcoming Launch of FXX On Sept. 2 | EPL Talk – Independent voice for EPL soccer fans since 2005
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #1171
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

2-1 win in the Derby d'Italia for Juventus. (Momentarily, until Napoli play tomorrow) 12pts clear at the top of Serie A.

Now I'm watching Barca vs. Celta Vigo. After that it's Real Madrid vs. Zaragoza (I think?). Loving beIN Sports!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #1172
whomario
Pro Starter

Bayern Munich is allready playing a season for the ages, having reached 69 points from the first 26 games (22 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss) and a 69-11 goal tally.
And just now they won 9-2 (!!!) over 9th place Hamburg (which makes it 72 points and a 78-13 goal tally). Absolutely ridicolous what they are doing to the competition this year and somwhoe i doubt their dominance will be broken for a long while. Dortmund pounced on the chance with those 2 great league titles, but i doubt another one will come all that soon ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #1173
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bayern Munich is allready playing a season for the ages, having reached 69 points from the first 26 games (22 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss) and a 69-11 goal tally.
And just now they won 9-2 (!!!) over 9th place Hamburg (which makes it 72 points and a 78-13 goal tally). Absolutely ridicolous what they are doing to the competition this year and somwhoe i doubt their dominance will be broken for a long while. Dortmund pounced on the chance with those 2 great league titles, but i doubt another one will come all that soon ...

German league is so unbalanced - why is that in your opinion whomario?

Not sure I've ever been able to figure it out.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #1174
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I think that the Bundesliga is one of the more balanced in Europe. Bayern Munich are always in the running, but there have been 5 different champions in the last 10 years.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #1175
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I think that the Bundesliga is one of the more balanced in Europe. Bayern Munich are always in the running, but there have been 5 different champions in the last 10 years.

Seems like everytime I look Bayern are running away with it. I know they don't win every year, but it sure seems like they routinely win by like...double-digits in points.

Maybe it's just when I'm looking...i dunno.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #1176
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Incredibly, all of the big5 leagues have a runaway leader: ManU in England, Barcelona in Spain, Bayern in Germany, Juventus in Italy and Paris SG in France. The most surprising part is that four of them were the runners up last season, Juventus being the lone exception as defending champions.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #1177
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Incredibly, all of the big5 leagues have a runaway leader: ManU in England, Barcelona in Spain, Bayern in Germany, Juventus in Italy and Paris SG in France. The most surprising part is that four of them were the runners up last season, Juventus being the lone exception as defending champions.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #1178
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I don't follow the league too closely but it always feels like if another German club looks like it will give Bayern some competition over the long term, Bayern generally go out and buy one or more of their top players. It wouldn't surprise me if they try and sign a Dortmund player or two this summer, Lewandowski has been rumored for ages.

And it's not like there aren't some other big teams over there it's just that Bayern is a giant and there is no other giant to counter them, unlike in Spain, Italy, and England.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #1179
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I don't follow the league too closely but it always feels like if another German club looks like it will give Bayern some competition over the long term, Bayern generally go out and buy one or more of their top players. It wouldn't surprise me if they try and sign a Dortmund player or two this summer, Lewandowski has been rumored for ages.

And it's not like there aren't some other big teams over there it's just that Bayern is a giant and there is no other giant to counter them, unlike in Spain, Italy, and England.

Yeah - maybe that's a better way of saying what I was saying. There's no other giant, and financially Bayern just outspend everyone (probably combined, it wouldn't surprise me), why is THAT? Why haven't any other giants developed and been successful long-term there in Germany? That's really my question I guess.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #1180
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

itīs actually not that unbalanced normally with the exception being Bayern Munich of course who just have the perfect combination of everything you need. Playing in a huge city, having early success when the real Bundesliga started, gaining huge popularity with their key players also being the National Teams key players in the 70s and 80s and having those legends stay close to the club and thus ensuring relative unity in management for decades now.

On paper, the german league is very good at providing balance (f.e. all clubs get the same cut from the TV money for the league) and iīd wager than the difference top to bottom is usually smaller than in any other big league.

Last edited by whomario : 03-30-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #1181
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
itīs actually not that unbalanced normally with the exception being Bayern Munich of course who just have the perfect combination of everything you need. Playing in a huge city, having early success when the real Bundesliga started, gaining huge popularity with their key players also being the National Teams key players in the 70s and 80s and having those legends stay close to the club and thus ensuring relative unity in management for decades now.

On paper, the german league is very good at providing balance (f.e. all clubs get the same cut from the TV money for the league) and iīd wager than the difference top to bottom is usually smaller than in any other big league.

Berlin's a huge city too though - why doesn't Hertha have the muscle to compete with Bayern more evenly? And there are plenty of wealthy tycoons in Germany, not to mention Turkish & Arab ones who would love to cater to that segment of German society, why don't they pay up and create another PSG or Chelski elsewhere in Germany?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-30-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #1182
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Berlin's a huge city too though - why doesn't Hertha have the muscle to compete with Bayern more evenly? And there are plenty of wealthy tycoons in Germany, not to mention Turkish & Arab ones who would love to cater to that segment of German society, why don't they pay up and create another PSG or Chelski elsewhere in Germany?

I don't think anyone can buy a majority shareholding in a German club. Over 50% of shares must be owned by club members.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #1183
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think anyone can buy a majority shareholding in a German club. Over 50% of shares must be owned by club members.

Aaah - thus effectively limiting the amount of outside money that can be brought in, which entrenches the old guard.

That's lame.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #1184
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
what about hoffenheim? they came out of nowhere
Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #1185
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Aaah - thus effectively limiting the amount of outside money that can be brought in, which entrenches the old guard.

That's lame.

It limits the power that can be bought, not the money that can be brought in. I think the chances of an investor coming in, taking the power and then being smart enough to let good people run the show is veeeery small anyway. Much more likely scenario is what happened in the 90s, when a bunch of high profile business men grabbed power at clubs and drove them right into the wall with their stupidity and big Egos, a bunch of clubs from that era never recovered or are just now doing so (even Dortmund needed almost a full decade and a near-relegation to get their shit together again after almost going bancrupt and they won the Champions League not that long before that)

Itīs still possible though, just not as obvious and easy (you have teams like Hoffenheim where the club boss is chair of a multi billion company or a team like Bayer Leverkusen where the main sponsor is even in the name, Bayer). As said, no one is limiting how much money a single person or a firm can spend, only limiting the power they have. As long as he/she/it is holding not more than 49% of the clubs share, itīs fair game.
Thereīs also some exceptions on "long term benefactors" and other more intricate rules.

Propably 95% of soccer fans (including those of team potentially profiting from the rule being canceled) absolutely support it btw. German Bundesliga may not be perfect, but itīs a damn great and highly apreciated product. Just look at the attendance numbers and compare them with other countries. (by far the highest average attendance and average % of filled seats)

I think the pros of such a rule far outweigh the cons here Every team you do beat Bayern, itīs so much more meaningfull as well.

Last edited by whomario : 03-30-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #1186
Critch
lolzcat

Top class defending from England's Brave John Terry:

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #1187
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Plus DT, read Tor! the history of German Football, Bayern Munich for most of its life didn't spend MORE then everyone else, they just spent smarter (and the fact their reputation was so good that they got top youth players to join their system)
Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #1188
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

goddammn that gif is great. it looks like one of the fifa 2012 wtf videos
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #1189
AlexB
Pro Starter

What a goal by Ba!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #1190
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's over played, I know, but an entire stadium (mascots, players, and fans) does the Harlem Shake.

If you were too busy watching “The Walking Dead”... - | FOX Soccer Blog | FOX Soccer on MSN | FOX Sports on MSN
Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #1191
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've never seen a single harlem shake video and i have no intention of starting now
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #1192
GrantDawg

Beckham starting for PSG today.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #1193
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Avoiding this thread and all social media until I have a chance to watch the 5PM broadcast...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #1194
GrantDawg

Wow. What an equalizer.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #1195
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
goddammn that gif is great. it looks like one of the fifa 2012 wtf videos
The FIFA series are obviously inspired by the Premier League.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1196
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh

That flukey-ass deflected goal in the first fucking 30 fucking seconds of the fucking game totally threw the guys off their game - they didn't look the same for pretty much the whole thing.

At 2-0 down going into the second leg, it's a massively tall order, and I gotta be realistic and say that advancement is not looking likely.

I need a fucking drink.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #1197
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ugh

That flukey-ass deflected goal in the first fucking 30 fucking seconds of the fucking game totally threw the guys off their game - they didn't look the same for pretty much the whole thing.

At 2-0 down going into the second leg, it's a massively tall order, and I gotta be realistic and say that advancement is not looking likely.

I need a fucking drink.

Have faith. Arsenal beat them 2-0 and Juve look much better than them this year.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #1198
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Verizon FIOS has signed a deal with BeIN Sport, and it should be on all FIOS networks by mid april. You're going to need a pretty beefy package to get it though, no ala carte)

Fios have now added BeIN Sport to their Sports Package, so no more need for the beefy package. $9.99 for BeIN Sport and whatever else in is the Sports Package isnt bad.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #1199
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Today is traditional fare for Brighton supporters - handful of games to go and we're hoving on the edge of the play-off places ... important home match against Leicester (who are the team below us in the league) and we're losing 1-0 and up against it .... then with two minutes to go Lua Lua makes a goal out of nothing .... 1-1

Brighton I tell you supporting them is bad for your health
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #1200
AlexB
Pro Starter

As a Leicester fan I should be taking umbrage about beng robbed of a win. Instead I'm more fascinated that Brighton fans are so proud of their twin towns that they don't hover on the edge of things, they hove!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote