Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #1201
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
As a Leicester fan I should be taking umbrage about beng robbed of a win. Instead I'm more fascinated that Brighton fans are so proud of their twin towns that they don't hover on the edge of things, they hove!

You played fantastically (both in attack and defense - awesome goal-line clearance from the corner) - I honestly could have seen us losing that 2-0 or worse at times, however we did have our chances and our style of play is somewhat deceptive in that we do the 'arsenal' thing and try and create clear cut chances which makes our shot count lower than it might be otherwise ...

(I do love our pass and movement, but now and again I long for someone to lump it long for someone to chase ... I remember little Leon Knight scurrying around up front for us a few years back )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-06-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #1202
bhlloy
Coordinator

Looks like we're finally getting out of the Championship, just in a new color with a new badge and probably a new nickname by next season.

It's funny, nobody over here seems to "get it" as american sports teams are franchises but it's pretty unprecedented in European football. I hate it, doesn't feel like "my" team anymore. It's also completely divided the fanbase with many supporters who have been going for years completely turned off by it and some really nasty stuff going on. It's a shame all around.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #1203
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
It's funny, nobody over here seems to "get it" as american sports teams are franchises but it's pretty unprecedented in European football. I hate it, doesn't feel like "my" team anymore. It's also completely divided the fanbase with many supporters who have been going for years completely turned off by it and some really nasty stuff going on. It's a shame all around.

My wife went through that sort of thing a few years back - she's a Man City supported, but her support is 'lukewarm' these days compared to before they became rich - previously they were her team and she was passionate about them, now they're a bunch of over-paid mercenaries in her eyes and she hasn't really forgiven the club for letting 'loyal' players leave while replacing them with what might be better players, but ones which have no real ties to the club.

My side - Brighton have seen a huge improvement in our situation and our new stadium has potential to push us on again, however I'm really pleased with how its been handled so far; they've not done anything too radical and the team itself is evolving fairly sensibly and naturally .... we still have our local lads and while some better players (such as Vincente) have joined they're not overly egotistical and in some cases (ie. Lua Lua, Hammond etc.) had been at the club previously in some capacity (ie. on loan or as younger players).

Here's to us going up and signing Bobby Zamora for his last couple of years of play

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-07-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #1204
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Your wife should be a comedian Marc. Replacing them with what might be better players, but have no real ties to the club? Exactly who would we be referring to here? And did this lukewarmness start immediately after the sale? Was it happy times when the corrupt Thaksin Shinawatra was in control and ready to bankrupt the club? Would she be pleased if City were fighting for their lives in League One like Portsmouth, because it was very close to happening.

And I love when the term mercenary starts getting thrown around. What a fucking joke. I'd love to know what exactly makes a player a mercenary.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #1205
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Your wife should be a comedian Marc. Replacing them with what might be better players, but have no real ties to the club? Exactly who would we be referring to here? And did this lukewarmness start immediately after the sale? Was it happy times when the corrupt Thaksin Shinawatra was in control and ready to bankrupt the club? Would she be pleased if City were fighting for their lives in League One like Portsmouth, because it was very close to happening.
To be honest I know exactly why she feels like that and yes she'd be happier if they weren't rich - even if this meant they were in League One, I have no doubt about this at all.

In a similar manner if Brighton 'bought' their way to glory through a rich benefactor - I'd still be a supporter, but it wouldn't feel 'honest' to me ... yeah I'm old fashioned, but I don't believe in money being the way to solve everything and personally I prefer an underdog to a team who is constantly stamping on others purely because they're able to afford all the best players etc.

(bear in mind I've followed Brighton when we were on the verge of going bankrupt, homeless and about to be relegated out of the professional leagues - so yeah I've been there done that )

Its for this reason I constantly root for Arsenal - I love the fact that they're still constantly chasing Champions League Football ... its also why I have my fingers crossed that Chelsea fail to make European football at all this year ... it'd just be a reminder that money isn't everything.

I would personally love it if the financial fair play regulations actually had teeth and worked - but from what I've seen they're mainly intended as restrictions for the smaller clubs rather than a true system of sensible regulation and don't get me started on the changes to the youth system etc. in England

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-07-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #1206
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
And I love when the term mercenary starts getting thrown around. What a fucking joke. I'd love to know what exactly makes a player a mercenary.

The same thing that makes me a mercenary for saying goodbye to a job I had for 13 years for more money, greener pastures, etc.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #1207
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sorry, but I can't embrace old traffords cheeseball theatre of dreams nickname.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #1208
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
The same thing that makes me a mercenary for saying goodbye to a job I had for 13 years for more money, greener pastures, etc.

Thank you.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #1209
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'm so glad that Phil Jones is a United player. He will provide stuff like this for years:

Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #1210
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

As I said to someone just now, if it happened to you in FM, you'd three finger salute the game.. Dortmund scores twice in injury time to beat Malaga 3-2 to advance to the semifinals of the Champions League (Malaga would have advanced with a 2-2 draw)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #1211
whomario
Pro Starter

unbelievable game, hardly coherent still

definitely some luck with the refs today, but i dare anyone to deny that the better team over the 2 games won Today Malaga had a brilliant game plan though, that 4-3-3 with no striker really threw Dortmund off (combined with a ton of nervousness, while immensel ytalented many dortmund players are still quire young and inexperienced)

the 1:1 was one of the most brilliant goals i´ve ever seen.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-09-2013 at 04:58 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #1212
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Thank you.

Glad to see you caught it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
As I said to someone just now, if it happened to you in FM, you'd three finger salute the game.. Dortmund scores twice in injury time to beat Malaga 3-2 to advance to the semifinals of the Champions League (Malaga would have advanced with a 2-2 draw)

Is this only because ManU wasn't involved in the game?
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #1213
Easy Mac

I like ow Dortmund had 3 players off on the cross, and I'm pretty sure all three touched the ball by the time it went into the net.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #1214
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
Glad to see you caught it.

Is this only because ManU wasn't involved in the game?

Where the heck are you coming from with this? (confused)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1215
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Despite all the drama, this is why soccer needs a fix at this level. Both teams scored in off side position, both were easy to spot by just looking at your tv. Thankfully the right team won eventually...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #1216
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The last few minutes of Spurs vs. Man City have been pretty great.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #1217
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

unbelievable
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #1218
miami_fan
Coordinator

So um did Suarez really bite Ivanovic?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #1219
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Yup.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #1220
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Throw the book at Suarez, pick it up and then throw it at him again. Disgraceful
Old 04-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #1221
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I love Suarez, but yeah - he's a genius, but that is beyond the pale. I assume he's out for at least the season.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1222
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

Spurs just might nab that Europa spot.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #1223
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Obviously.
It's not the first time he's done that.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #1224
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Obviously.

I asked because when I read the recap online, they said he "appeared" to have bit him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #1225
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Spurs just might nab that Europa spot.

For me it's ideal that Spurs and Arsenal get the other Champions League spots. If Chelsea get in they'll probably spend a ton of cash and look to challenge for the league title next year but if they finish fifth it might be harder for them to bring in the manager and players they want. Meanwhile it'd be hard to see either Spurs or Arsenal improving enough over the summer to have a good shot at the title next year even with the CL money.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #1226
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I asked because when I read the recap online, they said he "appeared" to have bit him.
I think with any other player in the world a "WTF?" moment would have made sense. With Suarez, well...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #1227
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Obviously.

he has now been officially charged with violent conduct...he is fortunate Ivanovic is a nice guy and didnt file criminal charges too
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #1228
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-22-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #1229
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I don't follow the league too closely but it always feels like if another German club looks like it will give Bayern some competition over the long term, Bayern generally go out and buy one or more of their top players. It wouldn't surprise me if they try and sign a Dortmund player or two this summer, Lewandowski has been rumored for ages.

Mario Götze will join Bayern next season, Bayern will pay €37m meeting the release clause in Götze's contract. Strange timing for the news to come out with the Champions League semi-finals this week though.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #1230
cschex
High School Varsity

Sucks for Dortmund. I've really enjoyed watching that squad over the last 2-3 years and I'm sure they'll still be good, but it's hard to keep replacing your dynamic play makers ( I say this as a Arsenal fan)
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #1231
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Someone wanted to sabotage the German teams before the big CL semifinals by releasing the news? (both Bayern and Dortmind had no reason to release the news)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #1232
whomario
Pro Starter

Bayern will be the team to beat for the next years. And that´s not "in Germany" but continentally as well. Hate them for doing it (and Götze for going there...), but still true ...
Their one problem would have been replacing Ribery/Robben in a couple of years, now they not only have a replacement for then but might have their offense go from scary good to breaking-the-scale-amazing in the short term.

Would have been fine withn him going to Barca, Real, ManU and do understand him wanting to work with Guardiola, but god damn that´s a sucker punch. And that´s not even considering the timing of the news ...

Now Dortmund needs to evaluate things. Personally i´d like them to get a proven but young player like Isco or Eriksen (Ajax) and then 1 or 2 real good german prospects.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #1233
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Outside of Spain and Germany with their Champions League games left, things are kind of boring now for the other major leagues. Can't remember the last time so many of the top divisions have been wrapped up so soon.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #1234
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Another offside goal given as good.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #1235
miami_fan
Coordinator

Outstanding pick n roll by Mueller and Robben
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #1236
saldana
Pro Starter

10 games for Suarez...should have been longer,imo
Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #1237
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
10 games for Suarez...should have been longer,imo

Only 10? Nuts and Im a Liverpool fan.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #1238
whomario
Pro Starter

Bundesliga 8
La Liga 1

holy shit, what an intense week capped off by a perfect result (well, Hummels brain fart aside)

Lewandowski with maybe the best game i´ve seen from a striker at such a big stage. Heck, even aside from his 4 goals he was brilliant. Imo there´s no one better when it comes to getting, keeping and distributing the ball up front. Incredible knack for positining, great body controll and technique. Works his ass off defesively, too.

Götze played well enough considering the pressure, Gündogan was amazing.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #1239
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Lewandowski apparently already has a deal with another team, per his agent, so Dortmund better enjoy the spotlight while it lasts :/

Robert Lewandowski 'will leave Borussia Dortmund in summer' | Football | guardian.co.uk
Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #1240
whomario
Pro Starter

well, a month ago it was allegedly agreed he´d go to Bayern and now it´s "a club", so things are looking up

anything is possible, but unless he pulls a major bitching and whining act, he´ll stay that extra year and then leave for free. Dortmund earned some 50+ mio in the CL and 37 for götze without much extra costs this year compared to last. (Reus and Kagawa offset each other). If ever a club could afford to sit it out and have a fuy leave for nothing, it´s them.

anyway, if some haven´t seen it yet

Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #1241
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's another one from real life that if it happened in FM, it would lead to a reload.

All Brentford had to do was convert the PK, and they would win straight promotion from League One to the Championship. They missed the PK, and after a bit of a scramble, a Doncaster player streaked down the field, made a little dump pass, and Doncaster won the straight promotion.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #1242
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LMAO that's great!!

I just missed a similar goal in FIFA (fucking Petr Cech) - fortunately I was ahead 3-0 already.

And at the same time my FM-team were finishing off a 5-0 shellacking of Fiorentina.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #1243
cartman
Death Herald

I think Ray Hudson has a fairly high opinion of Messi. This goal is unreal.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #1244
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hmm...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #1245
whomario
Pro Starter

shit game, very shaky defending to start and finish and terrible use of the own goal scoring chances, but who cares ? Fucking CL final
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #1246
saldana
Pro Starter

so i have decided that the thing i hate more than anything in the sport is when a goalkeeper dives on top of the ball after allowing a goal so that it cannot be taken back to center for the restart

its unsportsmanlike, and it is delay of game and in my opinion, should come with 2 bookings...one for each of those offenses, and the keeper should be sent off.

yes i realize that the ref just adds the time back on to the end of the game, but that is not the point...every time it happens, it ends up with some kind of scrum because the trailing team is trying to get the ball free, and they additional time is lost while the ref does hand out the yellow card.

i am not a Madrid fan, but that shit just disgusted me yesterday...intentionally disrupting the game has absolutely no place, and seeing as how Webb had already warned him in the first half for not taking the offsides restarts in a timely manner, should have shown him straight red.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #1247
whomario
Pro Starter

Weidenfeller is scum off the field, didn´t surprise me he did sth like this at all. By rule couldn´t give him a straight red (and while it´s hideous, it´s not comparable with the things that earn a straight-red), but i agree that theese things and time wasting in general ought to be an immediate yellow card.
Heck, as far as i´m concerned at some point we should see experimenting with 60 minutes real time with stoppages for dead balls.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #1248
whomario
Pro Starter

Barca getting dismantled, 3:0 Bayern again.

Once Messi was out, there was never a chance. But still ... Been a Barca Fan since being a kid, so this kinda hurts a little even with the german connection and wanting my team to shut the bavarians up in Wembley...

Last edited by whomario : 05-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #1249
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Weidenfeller is scum off the field, didn´t surprise me he did sth like this at all. By rule couldn´t give him a straight red (and while it´s hideous, it´s not comparable with the things that earn a straight-red), but i agree that theese things and time wasting in general ought to be an immediate yellow card.
Heck, as far as i´m concerned at some point we should see experimenting with 60 minutes real time with stoppages for dead balls.

However, a Referee could give him a card for Delaying a restart and then when the ref demands he release the ball if he doesnt you could pop him for dissent. Double yellow and send him packing.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #1250
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The French clubs are trying to handicap Monaco, claiming that their tax-haven status gives them an unfair advantage (note, they aren't even in Ligue 1 yet, they're top of Ligue 2).

This has the Russian who own Monaco threatening to leave Ligue 1 for Serie A.

Monaco's free-spending ascent has French clubs fearing for their future | Paul Doyle | Football | guardian.co.uk