Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #56
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Jesus CNN, what the fuck
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #57
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Agreed. But of course it's okay when Comedy Central does the exact same thing, because hey they're a comedy channel!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #58
RendeR
Coordinator

Just...wow. just FUCKing .... wow.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #59
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Agreed. But of course it's okay when Comedy Central does the exact same thing, because hey they're a comedy channel!

It's ok when they do it because it is moderately funny. They aren't randomly calling Kennedy folks at 5:30am, and they also aren't a news organization. CNN = cable news network, comedy central = comedy channel.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #60
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:

Comedy central still does prank calls? I thought Crank Yankers went off the air almost a decade ago.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #61
RainMaker
General Manager

WTF CNN.

Does anyone remember when they did that dumb hologram thing?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #62
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I instanly knew what clip was posted when this thread got bumped. Amazing the lack of logic in deciding to do a segment like this.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #63
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes, we hold news channels to higher standards than comedy channels. I think that's a good thing. If you disagree, that's your opinion, but it's a pretty fucking bizarre one to hold.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #64
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yes, we hold news channels to higher standards than comedy channels. I think that's a good thing. If you disagree, that's your opinion, but it's a pretty fucking bizarre one to hold.

My opinion is that crank calls are never a good thing, they are always pretty mean. You're saying that if Crank Yankers or some other show called a wrong number and said "FBI" and scared some guy out of his wits that would be okay and funny because it was a comedy show? Or a radio station did it?

My point is that what CNN did was bad in general, worse because they are CNN and a news show and should be reporting on idiots doing this stuff, but bad no matter who was doing it, and I find it hypocritical of a Comedy Central show to be calling them on it.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #65
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
My opinion is that crank calls are never a good thing, they are always pretty mean. You're saying that if Crank Yankers or some other show called a wrong number and said "FBI" and scared some guy out of his wits that would be okay and funny because it was a comedy show? Or a radio station did it?

My point is that what CNN did was bad in general, worse because they are CNN and a news show and should be reporting on idiots doing this stuff, but bad no matter who was doing it, and I find it hypocritical of a Comedy Central show to be calling them on it.

Well, the context that it would be worse for the news organization was certainly missing from your original post.

I never said it would be okay. I'm not familiar with Crank Yankers or any other prank call show as such humor does not interest me at all. But to suggest that the Daily Show cannot criticize a news organization for a prank call segment just because they happen to be on the same channel as a prank call show that last aired five years ago is an insanely silly argument to make.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #66
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But to suggest that the Daily Show cannot criticize a news organization for a prank call segment just because they happen to be on the same channel as a prank call show that last aired five years ago is an insanely silly argument to make.

It's just as silly as stewart and his followers insisting that his show is nothing more than comedy, because it happened to be on the same channel as a prank call show. (stewart has made that exact point)

I think its a spectrum rather than a black and white thing. The daily show is more news commentary than that awful am cnn show. Using humor to express the commentary doesn't put it in the same genre as crank yankers.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #67
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's just as silly as stewart and his followers insisting that his show is nothing more than comedy, because it happened to be on the same channel as a prank call show. (stewart has made that exact point)

I think its a spectrum rather than a black and white thing. The daily show is more news commentary than that awful am cnn show. Using humor to express the commentary doesn't put it in the same genre as crank yankers.

I don't think anyone has argued that it's "just a comedy". The argument is that being a comedy oriented show on a comedy channel, he shouldn't be held to the same standards as a news organization just because he incorporates news commentary into the show. I think Stewart would agree that he should be held to a higher standard than a prank call show.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 01-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I still love you guys beating the drum that a comedy show should be held to the same standards as a news organization. Was your next point that it's the reason why it's ok for Fox to be the way it is because I think we've heard this one before, too, and it's no less laughable the 5th time than the 1st

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-12-2012 at 06:33 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #69
mckerney
Coordinator

The first ad from Colbert's Super PAC since he relinquished control.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Last edited by mckerney : 01-16-2012 at 05:49 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #70
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good news, everyone!

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Fear Factory
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook

Well, you can save 25% on consumer electronics and all you have to do is have them made in a 3rd world country for 31c an hour. Those jobs are totally not coming back

SI

Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #72
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, what's up, Steven?
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #73
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Evidently his mother is seriously ill, and the show is on hiatus until he returns.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #74
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Being raped too much is definitely a bad thing.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
V-Jay Jay Day
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook

Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #75
RendeR
Coordinator

"When WASHINGTON gets its prostate checked it tickles YOU!"
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #76
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The first ad from Colbert's Super PAC since he relinquished control.

Was that John Lithgow's voice doing the Narration?

Last edited by RendeR : 02-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #77
RainMaker
General Manager

I didn't realize Colbert lost his father and two brothers in a plane crash when he was young. Supposedly really close with his Mother.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #78
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I didn't realize Colbert lost his father and two brothers in a plane crash when he was young. Supposedly really close with his Mother.

And it happened on 9/11 -- in 1974.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #79
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SeaWorld of Pain - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 02/15/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

So much win.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #80
Autumn
Head Coach

Anyone else having problems with the Daily show web site? If I go there to look at videos, on Firefox at least (my iPad reads it fine), it just hangs and takes forever to load anything.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #81
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Saw this one the other night, so great.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #82
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Not the show, but Stewart was on Letterman and I found this bit hilarious.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #83
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I put this together a couple of weeks ago but never got around to posting it. It's basically the entire Stephen Colbert PAC saga from PAC to SuperPAC to 501(c)(4) to running for "President of the United States of South Carolina" to Non-Coordination

Anything with a * is an extra item and not really part of the big story but a goofy sidebar, related to the SuperPAC plot line.

However, anything without an asterisk should be required watching for anyone from High School Civics teachers to those actually wanting to craft effective, transparent election legislation.

Mar 30, 2011 - Colbert forms Colbert PAC
Colbert PAC - Trevor Potter - The Colbert Report - 2011-30-03 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Apr 14, 2011 Viacom forbid Colbert PAC
Viacom Ruins Stephen's PAC Dream - The Colbert Report - 2011-14-04 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Apr 14, 2011 - Colbert forms Colbert Super PAC
Colbert Super PAC - Trevor Potter - The Colbert Report - 2011-14-04 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

May 16, 2011 Colbert Files Super PAC Request
Stephen Files Super PAC Request - The Colbert Report - 2011-16-05 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*May 31, 2011 - Colbert answers FEC Questions on form
FEC Questions - Trevor Potter - The Colbert Report - 2011-31-05 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*June 29, 2011 - Colbert Super PAC FEC Hearing Prep
Trevor Potter Prepares Stephen for his FEC Hearing - The Colbert Report - 2011-29-06 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

June 30, 2011 - Colbert Receives SuperPAC
Colbert Super PAC - I Can Haz Super PAC! - The Colbert Report - 2011-30-06 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

June 30, 2011 - Colbert Addresses Crowd after receiving SuperPAC
Colbert Super PAC - Stephen Files His Super PAC Papers & Addresses Colbert Nation - The Colbert Report - 2011-30-06 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*July 18, 2011 - Colbert Super PAC Cash Crawl
Colbert Super PAC - Cash Crawl - The Colbert Report - 2011-18-07 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*Aug 4 - Prank Donation Names
Colbert Super PAC - The Heroes Respond - The Colbert Report - 2011-04-08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*Aug 11 - Iowa Straw Poll: Vote Rick Parry (with an "A")
Colbert Super PAC - Rick Parry with an "A" for America - The Colbert Report - 2011-11-08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Colbert Super PAC - Confused by Rick Parry with an "A" for America - The Colbert Report - 2011-11-08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*Aug 16 - Parry-with-an-A-Gate, Day 6
Colbert Super PAC - PARRY-with-an-A-GATE! - Day 6 - WOI in Des Moines Reports - The Colbert Report - 2011-18-08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Sept 29, 2011 - Whole Episode (Karl Rove, Mark Cuban, and Super PACs in a nutshell)
Colbert Super PAC - Ham Rove's Comeback - The Colbert Report - 2011-29-09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Colbert Super PAC - Trevor Potter & Stephen's Shell Corporation - The Colbert Report - 2011-29-09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Colbert Super PAC SHH! - The Donating Game - The Colbert Report - 2011-29-09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Mark Cuban - The Colbert Report - 2011-29-09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Oct 6, 2011 - Ham Rove Apology
Colbert Super PAC SHH! - Apology to Ham Rove - The Colbert Report - 2011-06-10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*Oct 17, 2011 - NBA Lockout Ad
Sport Report - NBA Lockout & Colbert Super PAC's Ad - The Colbert Report - 2011-17-10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*Oct 18, 2011 - Sixth Anniversary Portrait
Sign Off - Sixth Anniversary Portrait - The Colbert Report - 2011-18-10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Nov 7, 2011 - Colbert Super PAC Issue Ads
Colbert Super PAC - Issue Ads - The Colbert Report - 2011-07-11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Colbert Super PAC - Issue Ads - Trevor Potter - The Colbert Report - 2011-07-11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

*Dec 7, 2011 - South Carolina Personhood Amendment from Colbert Super PAC denied
Colbert Super PAC - Stephen's South Carolina Referendum - The Colbert Report - 2011-07-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Colbert Super PAC - Stephen's South Carolina Referendum - Dick Harpootlian - The Colbert Report - 2011-07-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Jan 12, 2012 - Colbert Super PAC turned over to Jon Stewart
Indecision 2012 - Colbert Super PAC - Coordination Problem - The Colbert Report - 2012-12-01 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Indecision 2012 - Colbert Super PAC - Coordination Resolution with Jon Stewart - The Colbert Report - 2012-12-01 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Jan 16, 2012 - Mitt Romney Attack Ad (Serial Killer)
Colbert Super PAC - Mitt Romney Attack Ad - The Colbert Report - 2012-16-01 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Jan 17, 2012 The Daily Show - Not Coordinating With Stephen Colbert
Colbert Super PAC - Not Coordinating with Stephen Colbert - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 01/17/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Jan 17, 2012 - Jon can tell Colbert what he's doing, just not the other way around
Indecision 2012 - GOP Attack Ads & Colbert Super PAC's Herman Cain Ad - The Colbert Report - 2012-17-01 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

It's absolutely brilliant satire an pretty damn scary all at the same time. And if you haven't seen it, just start with the non-starred stuff as it crafts a pretty tightly woven story for Colbert. Make sure to get through at least part of the Sept 29 show to get the most salient points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbert Report

“But wait, SuperPACs are transparent,” Colbert observed. “And the c4 is secret. So I can take secret donations to my c4 and give it to my supposedly transparent SuperPAC. What is the difference between that and money laundering?”

“It’s hard to say,” Potter said.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #84
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

The superPAC stuff is genius TV, and they deserve an Emmy/Peabody/anything else for it. Closer to real journalism than the crap on MSNBC, CNN, or Fox.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

"I feel like I gotta call the lawyer for my Super PAC."
"Not before I call the lawyer for the exploratory committee."
"Well who should we call first?"
"Well since they are the same person why don't we just call at the same time?"
"Right! Still can't believe that's legal."
"Oh yeah."
Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #86
mckerney
Coordinator

Last edited by mckerney : 02-24-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #87
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 04-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #88
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I know, it's a really stupid clip but it had me laughing pretty darn hard. Kudos to Bill O'Reilly for being a good sport

SI

Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And, as I'm catching up on the last month's Daily Show and Colbert, this was one of my favorite episodes of the Daily Show in quite a while:

Good Morning Real America - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 04/03/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
In the first half, Stewart has such vitriol for Palin but it gives him a sharp edge he normally doesn't have in the first segment. Then John Oliver has a little bit of a generic segment (ghost of Reagan karate chopping Palin, tho, was nice).
In the second half, John piles on a kindof scary Supreme Court case involving strip searching and then Tom Goldstein of SCOTUSblog has an excellent interview.

Just a really solid episode all around.

SI

Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #90
mckerney
Coordinator

Last edited by mckerney : 04-19-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #91
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #92
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #93
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sadly, not a plant or skit

SI

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #94
miked
College Starter

For the Missouri folks out there...

Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #95
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

fucking moronic lawmaker who doesn't understand law.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #96
mckerney
Coordinator

My god, they couldn't have asked for anyone better to have sponsored that law.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #97
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #98
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #99
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just watched the last 4 and my head just about popped off. Lol.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #100
mckerney
Coordinator