Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #151
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Funny enough I actually was going to come into this thread to mention I saw Larry Wilmore's show from Thursday night and I really enjoyed it! But I'm sure the other story is a bigger deal .
Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #152
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Larry Wilmore being "enjoyable" would've been the bigger surprise to me.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #153
Jas_lov
College Starter

Asif Mandvi would have been a better choice.

I didn't like Larry Wilmore show. He only talks about race.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #154
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Him talking about race is one of the reasons I really enjoyed the show.

The panel was hit or miss, but having Robert Reich there in a discussion about a hooker who would go down on you with crushed ice in her mouth was just hilarious in its surrealness.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #155
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Trevor Noah is a riot.

The other thing is, it's very likely they offered it to other people who turned it down. A daily show (literally) is a grind and if you have other projects going on or are afraid the spotlight would be too defining or whatever...then I can see lots of people saying "no, thanks."

Wilmore's show I hated the panels and after Colbert, wasn't exactly sure how they thought it was going to work. But Wilmore has paid his dues forever and so, I suspect given some time he'll get his sea legs.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #156
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Trevor Noah is a riot.

The other thing is, it's very likely they offered it to other people who turned it down. A daily show (literally) is a grind and if you have other projects going on or are afraid the spotlight would be too defining or whatever...then I can see lots of people saying "no, thanks."

Wilmore's show I hated the panels and after Colbert, wasn't exactly sure how they thought it was going to work. But Wilmore has paid his dues forever and so, I suspect given some time he'll get his sea legs.

I saw Bill Simmons mention that he heard they offered it first to Amy Poehler, Louis CK, and Amy Schumer.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #157
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Don't know much about Noah, but really enjoy the Daily Show so I'll give him a shot. I've tried to watch Larry Wilmore's show a few times and it didn't really stick with me.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #158
rowech
Pro Starter

Don't be the guy who follows the guy. Be the guy who follows the guy who followed the guy.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #159
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think for Noah there's no way this is bad for him. No one in the States really knows who he is and all of a sudden he's getting an even better deal than James Corden got with Craig Ferguson's show. He'll be beamed into millions of homes and have to steer a flagship franchise.

I think he's far closer to Stewart than Kilborn and just like Stewart took it in a different direction than what Kilborn had it, who knows what plans they have for it with Noah at the helm. It's an interesting choice, but yeah there's no way he was anywhere in their original Top 5.

They probably pinged a lot of external people before going in-house and saying "ok who." The thing about him is, he's only been on the Daily Show as a correspondent 3 times and I think that's kind of perfect because for people who've appeared too much, their personalities are already kind of locked in and you know what kind of show you're going to get with them -- or at least expect -- whereas with Noah they can kind of do what they want.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #160
Arles
Grey Dog Software

This is pretty ridiculous, IMO:

The internet is turning on Trevor Noah, the guy who's replacing Jon Stewart on 'The Daily Show,' after discovering some of his old tweets - Yahoo Finance

I honestly didn't know a thing about him before the Daily Show announcement, but applying outrage to a stand-up comic for jokes on twitter about "fat chicks", "jewish chicks" and "women's hockey players looking like lesbians" seems pretty petty to me. Nothing in the cherry-picked excerpts looks overly mean or offensive to me. I'm pretty sure every comic with a twitter feed is going to have a handful of "pushing the line" jokes over a 3-year period.

I worry about the future of good comedy if people get attacked for saying "A hot white woman with ass is like a unicorn. Even if you do see one, you'll probably never get to ride it." Sheesh, get over yourself people

Last edited by Arles : 03-31-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #161
muns
Pro Starter

He has some of his stand up on Netflix I believe if people want to check him out.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #162
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

The internet is turning on Trevor Noah, the guy who's replacing Jon Stewart on 'The Daily Show,' after discovering some of his old tweets - Yahoo Finance

I honestly didn't know a thing about him before the Daily Show announcement, but applying outrage to a stand-up comic for jokes on twitter about "fat chicks", "jewish chicks" and "women's hockey players looking like lesbians" seems pretty petty to me. Nothing in the cherry-picked excerpts looks overly mean or offensive to me. I'm pretty sure every comic with a twitter feed is going to have a handful of "pushing the line" jokes over a 3-year period.

I worry about the future of good comedy if people get attacked for saying "A hot white woman with ass is like a unicorn. Even if you do see one, you'll probably never get to ride it." Sheesh, get over yourself people

And to think one of the choices that people really wanted was Louis CK. Can you imagine the fauxrage over what he's said in his standup?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #163
molson
General Manager

I know there's been debate about this before but I think a lot of people and the media look at the Daily Show as something very different than a late night comedy talk show. It's something much more relevant, a news commentary show, even a source of news for many people. Jon Stewart himself has toned down his previous stand-up persona and made himself much more legitimate.

Maybe with Noah the show evolves again. Which would definitely be better than someone trying to be a Stewart clone (though I guess Noah does a lot of satire and commentary too).

Last edited by molson : 03-31-2015 at 11:07 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #164
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Maybe my memory of Stewart as a standup is a little cloudy, but I remember him being pretty racy with some of his jokes (especially with Jewish, blacks, gays and the like). Much like what I'm seeing from Trevor, none of seemed overly mean or offensive. But, I'm sure glad twitter wasn't around when Jon started on the Daily Show or we may have missed out on one of the best political satire shows on TV.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #165
RainMaker
General Manager

Noah seems to have a more dry humor to him. Comes across more serious. Not sure how that works with the Daily Show. One of the things I liked about Stewart was that he could get goofy a lot. Will be interesting to see the direction of the show.

Wilmore's show is bad. He's a solid guest for these kind of shows but can't handle it on his own. Would love for them to bring back a show like Tough Crowd.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #166
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The problem when your audience is comprised by many people who get "outraged" over everything is you eventually become the target of that "outrage".
Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #167
nol
Banned

Quote:
Maybe my memory of Stewart as a standup is a little cloudy, but I remember him being pretty racy with some of his jokes (especially with Jewish, blacks, gays and the like). Much like what I'm seeing from Trevor, none of seemed overly mean or offensive. But, I'm sure glad twitter wasn't around when Jon started on the Daily Show or we may have missed out on one of the best political satire shows on TV.

This might be more of a Twitter in-joke, but I cracked up when I saw someone say something along the lines of "in their efforts to find someone who has never tweeted anything that could be construed as offensive, The Daily Show has hired Pau Gasol as its new host."
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #168
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Larry Wilmore being "enjoyable" would've been the bigger surprise to me.

this show cannot be cancelled soon enough
Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #169
RainMaker
General Manager

Wilmore might have worked as a weekly show. He has talent but the show is predictable and covers the same topic every night. How many times can you snarkily say everyone is racist?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #170
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm only posting this because I live in the county

Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #171
nol
Banned

Watched this yesterday. I thought the whole deal was that he wasn't going to be his character from Comedy Central.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #172
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Watched this yesterday. I thought the whole deal was that he wasn't going to be his character from Comedy Central.

The character of the Report was the O'Reilly-like faux conservative blowhard; the comedic approach wasn't a put-on.

Seeing him work his usual surreal stuff outside of the realm of satire, and political satire in particular, is kind of mystifying, in a good way.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #173
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is it just me? Or are the rats trying to jump the show in order to get a career for themselves?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #174
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Wilmore might have worked as a weekly show. He has talent but the show is predictable and covers the same topic every night. How many times can you snarkily say everyone is racist?

I usually only catch it once a week, so it ends up working for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #175
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #176
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well Jon Stewart is done.

Let's see how Trevor Noah does.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #177
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well Jon Stewart is done.

Let's see how Trevor Noah does.

Indeed. I didn't like his bits when he was a "guest" but I am interested to see how he does as host.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #178
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Colbert debuts tonight, w00t!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #179
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

So his "late show" is 30 min Colbert' Report and then 30 mins of interviews? (About all I got out of the first show)
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #180
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
So his "late show" is 30 min Colbert' Report and then 30 mins of interviews? (About all I got out of the first show)

He has plenty of fodder to get through 2016 with Report-light material, given our lovely 20-month election process.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #181
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Shame.

The Daily Show - Jon Stewart Returns to Shame Congress - YouTube
Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #182
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

I really don't understand what is so hard about some of this stuff?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #183
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I really don't understand what is so hard about some of this stuff?

Not to get political but it's pretty easy to figure out the what part with the letter of D or R listed in those opposing it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVtK1WLU4AA5qRK.png
Old 12-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #184
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Not to get political but it's pretty easy to figure out the what part with the letter of D or R listed in those opposing it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVtK1WLU4AA5qRK.png

I don't care what letter they have next to their name. I expect them to uphold the obligations to take care of the 9/11 first responders.

It is things like this that make the Republican party look like a circus.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #185
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I don't care what letter they have next to their name. I expect them to uphold the obligations to take care of the 9/11 first responders.

It is things like this that make the Republican party look like a circus.

Well they are the first ones to offer thought and prayers for anything and hide behind the 9/11 never forget logos... but then again,that costs nothing to tweet...
Old 07-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #186
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 08-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #187
RainMaker
General Manager

Larry Wilmore 'Nightly Show' Canceled | Hollywood Reporter

Sounds like Trevor Noah is safe for awhile. At least through the election I imagine.

I like the idea of a roundtable show. Was a huge fan of Politically Incorrect back in the day. But Wilmore is better as a contributor, not a host. The show wasn't funny or insightful.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #188
Butter
Coordinator

The roundtable pieces were always terrible. Always.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #189
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'll miss it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #190
Pyser
Pro Rookie

For what has been going on in our society with black lives matters, police relations, and the presidential election, and to have an entire show dedicated essentially to these issues...and not have ONE piece go viral in 18 months...well, no shit you're cancelled.

I also think it was a mistake in the beginning to change the name away from The Minority Report. That immediately gave the show a great angle...and then they went and made it generic before ever airing.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #191
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

I also think it was a mistake in the beginning to change the name away from The Minority Report. That immediately gave the show a great angle...and then they went and made it generic before ever airing.

In all fairness they would've been sued by Fox for using the name The Minority Report.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #192
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
For what has been going on in our society with black lives matters, police relations, and the presidential election, and to have an entire show dedicated essentially to these issues...and not have ONE piece go viral in 18 months...well, no shit you're cancelled.

I saw that mentioned in the decision to cancel. The show had zero traction online outside of when people got upset at the way they treated Bill Nye.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:49 AM   #193
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
In all fairness they would've been sued by Fox for using the name The Minority Report.

You cant own a title.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #194
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You cant own a title.

When it's the name of a show you can.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Maybe they could have pronounced it: The Minority Re-pore
Old 08-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #196
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Good call. That was so forgettable I completely forgot it existed.

Everyone lost in this Minority Report scenario.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #197
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 02-13-2017, 03:09 AM   #198
Radii
Head Coach

I assume this is the best thread for this.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #199
kcchief19
Pro Starter

First, I literally laughed out loud at the commercials for Trump. Pure gold.

Second, guess I'm not the only one who passed on The Daily Show since Stewart left. I still watched/listened to the show online while working around the house, but not religiously and haven't watched hardly at all since the election.

Just astounding that the same franchise & network that made the move to bring in Stewart and later kept Stephen Colbert by giving him his own show would whiff three straight times in quick succession.

First whiff by not doing everything to keep John Oliver. Granted, it was unlucky timing that Colbert gets the Late Show gig just a few months after he left, but no reason Oliver couldn't have done Last Week at CC.

Second whiff was going with Larry Wilmore over Sam Bee. I actually liked Wilmore's show, but he wasn't a natural in the host role and the show was uneven as a result. With Oliver & Bee on their own shows, it's just a reminder to everyone that the TDS is no longer on the cutting edge.

The big whiff was going with Trevor Noah. Still not sure how a show built around topical American political humor goes with a standup comic who lived in the U.S. for only four years. Noah's just not built for the show, and the talent that has exited since Stewart left exacerbates the problem.

The weird thing is that I think TDS and @Midnight would be better shows if they traded hosts. Chris Hardwick is a better interviewer and much more experienced as a show host. @Midnight is a standup show, better suited for someone like Noah.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 02-13-2017 at 11:53 AM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #200
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I think Noah's biggest drawback is, while I think he's a better pure interviewer than Stewart was, he just doesn't have that same bombastic overreaction capability that you would see with bits like the Rob Ford interview. Even his standup is funny, but not due to an over the top personality.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote