Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
twomnybilz
n00b

FOF Not Starting

I have Windows 7. I installed the game but I can't run it. When I try to run the game nothing happens. Nothing... Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

twomnybilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

try to right click and "run as administrator"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
scorp
Mascot

try running it in compatibility mode
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
fofer
n00b

Need Help.

I have followed everything in the faq but fof will not run under win 7 64-bit. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The demo runs fine. eLicense installed fine.

Last edited by fofer : 05-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.
fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
aston217
College Prospect

It seems to work quite easily for some people on Win7 x64. It has never worked for me (but like you the demo did). I spent quite some time tinkering and looking for a solution, too.

If you're in the same boat as me I recommend running it on a virtualbox running XP. For example: https://www.virtualbox.org/ Pull out your old XP CD and install it there.

This is a bit of a hassle but as the advantage of making it convenient when you need to run extractor or changetracker. Just run it and switch out of the window and go about your regular computer tasks.

My feeling is there must be some sort of external issue (maybe security software? or some other system configuration) preventing us from using the same solutions used by other users. Haven't invested the effort in nailing it down though.

Last edited by aston217 : 05-06-2012 at 11:45 PM.
aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
fofer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston217 View Post
If you're in the same boat as me I recommend running it on a virtualbox running XP. For example: https://www.virtualbox.org/ Pull out your old XP CD and install it there.

I thought about your suggestion but my problem is that vbox will take up more than half of my partition. Won't be buying a hdd for awhile.

Quote:
My feeling is there must be some sort of external issue (maybe security software? or some other system configuration) preventing us from using the same solutions used by other users. Haven't invested the effort in nailing it down though.

What I did was reinstalled win7, then drivers, then FOF. FOF ran fine. It seems the difference from the first instance is that I installed win7, drivers, av, firewall, office, utilities, registry tweaks, services tweaks, boot tweaks, and other tweaks before installing FOF. It seems one of those is conflicting with FOF but I have no time to track it down. Bad enough all of Sunday I just did install/reinstall.

Another instance I noticed is that I scrambled to borrow 2 computers (vista 32-bit & win ultimate 64-bit) and FOF ran fine. These were at least 3 year old computers. It seems newer sw or newer versions of same sw maybe conflicting with FOF.

Last edited by fofer : 05-08-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
ozias
High School JV

If you have Zone Alarm, get rid of it....FOF won't run with it installed with Win 7.

Last edited by ozias : 05-08-2012 at 12:33 PM.
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
aston217
College Prospect

Ahhhhhaaaaaaaa.

I have zone alarm. That could be it....glad you got it working, fofer. I might have to switch over now...

Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
fofer
n00b

I do not have zone alarm. In the machine with win 7 ultimate, it has avira and FOF ran fine.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Zee
n00b

Yes, Zone Alarm is a know problem with XP too. You can't just run it in Game Mode or disable it, you have to turn Zone Alarm off, uninstall FOF, reboot (and make sure Zone Alarm doesn't start automatically), and THEN do a fresh install of FOF and the license.

Last edited by Zee : 05-09-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Fix typo's
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
aston217
College Prospect

Halle-freaking-lujah!

Zee, Ozias, you guys are life savers. Uninstalled Zone Alarm and set up FOF without a hitch. Can't tell you how much frustration it's caused me pulling out all the stops to try and get FOF and Win7 to play nice. A very non-obvious solution. I can still run changetracker in the virtualbox if I need, but now it's easier to just boot up the game.

Do you guys know how to mute the 'ding!' sound that comes up every time you open a player card?

Last edited by aston217 : 05-12-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I think that's an OS based ding. May be a way to do it in the system setup, not the game.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
fofer
n00b

Good to know, at least definitely stop running av when running fof.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Welp. Got a new computer with Windows 7 and FOF is not running, much the same problem as the OP. I do not believe I have Zonealarm on this machine and compatibility mode/running as administrator is not working either. Hmmmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
aston217
College Prospect

Would check/test around with some other AV or firewall software. It's possible the root problem doesn't lie with zone alarm alone. Failing that go with a virtual box ;p problems like this can be hard to diagnose!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
ozias
High School JV

Are you getting an error message of any kind?

Sometimes the msvcr71.dll file is missing, check in the Program Files (x86)\Solecismic Software\Front Office Football 2007 folder and see if it's there.

You may have to enable "view all files" if no .dll files are visible.

Also, check the "Security Tab" of the Solecismic Software Folder, and make sure you have access to it, and check the same folder in the C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Solecismic Software and make sure you have access to it as well. Note XXXX is your computers name.

In order to check, Right click the folder, select "Security Tab", highlight your "user name", not System or Administrators, and then look in the box below...does everything have a check mark? If not, hit the EDIT button, and put a check in the boxes and hit OK.

Last edited by ozias : 07-24-2012 at 04:32 PM.
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston217 View Post
Would check/test around with some other AV or firewall software. It's possible the root problem doesn't lie with zone alarm alone. Failing that go with a virtual box ;p problems like this can be hard to diagnose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozias View Post
Are you getting an error message of any kind?

Sometimes the msvcr71.dll file is missing, check in the Program Files (x86)\Solecismic Software\Front Office Football 2007 folder and see if it's there.

You may have to enable "view all files" if no .dll files are visible.

Also, check the "Security Tab" of the Solecismic Software Folder, and make sure you have access to it, and check the same folder in the C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Solecismic Software and make sure you have access to it as well. Note XXXX is your computers name.

In order to check, Right click the folder, select "Security Tab", highlight your "user name", not System or Administrators, and then look in the box below...does everything have a check mark? If not, hit the EDIT button, and put a check in the boxes and hit OK.

I tried a few different things including checking the security tab. Not sure if that helped, but I got the game to run under compatibility mode (XP SP3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote