Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Firefly - the tv show

The DVD box set is out and I can't find it (every place is out of it - will have to travel to a SunCoast). But, I was wondering if anyone has information about a possible pick-up of the show by another network? I am hoping the DVD sells out and somebody smells money and brings the show back.

This show ranks up in my top 5 favorites of all time and this was the first time that a cancelation pissed me off to the point of almost writing a letter to a network. I am a sci-fi junkie and this is (was) the best sci-fi show to ever appear on tv, IMHO.

I almost got my wife to watch it when I mentioned to her that it wasn't about aliens and kooky Star Trek stuff. But, she saw a spaceship and ran for cover. Her loss.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yea, I too was disappointed when FOX cancelled this show along with John Doe and Fastlane. IMO all were very entertaining.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
Ragone
Pro Rookie

also good news.. on a unrelated front

Sledge Hammer! full 2 seasons will be released on dvd sometime in march apparently.. yay
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was among those who was really starting to enjoy John Doe when it was cancelled
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Bonegavel, I've heard a rumor or two about possible pick-up, but nothing firm yet. I have heard firmer rumors that Whedon is going to be doing a movie version of Firefly, though. Really excellent show, killed by a horrible timeslot and weird episode ordering.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:54 PM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I thought all hopes of another network picking it up were dashed...having said that, I did get the boxed set for Christmas. Haven't been able to watch it yet, but it's only a matter of time.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine
Bonegavel, I've heard a rumor or two about possible pick-up, but nothing firm yet. I have heard firmer rumors that Whedon is going to be doing a movie version of Firefly, though. Really excellent show, killed by a horrible timeslot and weird episode ordering.

It seems like it'd be a natural pickup for the SciFi Channel. It was a good series that appealed to me...but that time slot just killed it IMHO.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:17 AM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My viewing of Firefly was sporadic, but I enjoyed when it was on. Have to admit I dug the prostitute chick. She's a hottie.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-31-2003 at 02:17 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:59 AM   #9
Bonegavel

To me, the best part about the show is just that it wasn't your typical sci-fi fare (probably why it didn't do so well). It came across as a western with spaceships instead of wagons. I liked the departure from the whole "aliens in every episode" thing as it was just about the human condition. No aliens. No ancient artifacts. No "beam me up" stuff.

The biggest bonus anyone could hope for in a show is that the characters were (are) great. Yes, the prostitute was a hottie, but so is Gina Torres but yet that wasn't their only virtue [edit: the mechanic was no slouch either]. I also think they did a good job with the crazy girl, though I could see that turning into a Thomas Covenant type of thing where she has the white gold but doesn't use it (which would have been frustrating).

Overall, I just think it was refreshing to see a character driven sci-fi series that didn't rely on technology to make it interesting to watch. In fact, tech is such a small part of the series that it was almost invisible. You were able to focus on the stories and not "oooh... can Jordie configure the warp coil so that they can withstand the explosion of Rigel IV's sun?"

Last edited by Bonegavel : 12-31-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:39 AM   #10
gi
College Prospect

I read during the time when the show was trying to find another home, that the sci fi regected Firefly because of poor ratings and budget concerns. Though poor ratings were the result of a very poor timeslot and mis-ordering of the episodes. For anyone who can find it ( I pre-ordered mine on Amazon.com) I would highly recommend the Firefly first season DVD box set. Great piece of art.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:07 AM   #11
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

I believe that Firefly has been picked up and Joss (while still working on Angel) is in pre-production for the movie version.

The show itself is phenomenal, even moreso when watched in the order intended by the writing staff.

I remember reading about how Fox took one look at the original 2 part pilot "Serenity" and told Whedon et al. that it didn't have enough action and that they were going to air the second episode ("The Train Job") first.

Having now seen "Serenity" in all its glory, it is quite clear to me that every executive at Fox is out of their gourd.

"Serenity" was a phenomenal episode that basically sets the tone for the series. It gives backstory, there's action, there's space scenes, there's western scenes, there's the Whedon wit, and there's the first glimpses of the morally questionable behavior of the crew.

The whole show was obviously leading up to some big reveals and it's a shame they couldn't at least finish the first season ...
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:31 AM   #12
sturmie
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfc22
Yea, I too was disappointed when FOX cancelled this show along with John Doe and Fastlane. IMO all were very entertaining.

are u my long lost twin? i loved all 3 of those shows as well --specially Firefly and John Doe--that last ep was great!

as for Firefly, my wife got it for my for xmas, but i haven't had a chance to check it out yet...funny thing is, she said that when she went to Amazon.com to order a book for her mom, the ad for Firefly popped up--so she got it for me knowing that i liked the show. who'da thunk it, popups really do work...hehe.

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:21 PM   #13
gi
College Prospect

I still can't get over the season finale of John Doe, what a great way for the show to go out....

Kinda saw it coming but still...
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:25 PM   #14
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

How did John Doe end?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:56 PM   #15
sturmie
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
How did John Doe end?
Doe's buddy Digger was the leader of the Phoenix Group. Doe was chasing him in the final minutes, but he got away. then, as the guy looks back, his hat fell off and u find out that it's Digger (william forsythe). good ending...laid some nice ground for a second season .

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #16
Bonegavel

Damn. I just picked up the DVD set yesterday and have only 1 episode to go before seeing them all and I am even more depressed. This is far and away the best show to ever hit television IMHO.

Why sci-fi channel hasn't jumped on this (like they did on StarGate) is beyond me.

Old 01-01-2004, 01:42 PM   #17
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonegavel
Why sci-fi channel hasn't jumped on this (like they did on StarGate) is beyond me.

Two reasons:

1) The show was likely too expensive for Sci-Fi to produce weekly.

2) Sci-Fi isn't interested in good sci-fi anymore. They're attempting to become USA Network 2.

If Sci-Fi was interested in continuing to produce intelligent, interesting science fiction, they would have given Farscape it's fifth season.

I hate the Sci-Fi network now ....
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #18
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is far and away the best show to ever hit television IMHO.

Well I like the show and all, but I'm not willing to go that far!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #19
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sturmie
...John Doe--that last ep was great!...

Yea, it was. That combined with the death of Doe's female friend (can't remember her name) in an earlier episode had me anxious for the 2nd season.

Damn "reality" TV taking over everything. How shows like Average Joe and Joe Millionaire survive baffle my mind.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-01-2004 at 02:23 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:47 PM   #20
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The movie site is now up...

http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/...draz&linkID=36
Old 06-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #21
SFL Cat
College Starter

Sorry, never got into Firefly. I thought it was a ripoff of the anime Cowboy Bebop, only not as interesting.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #22
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
I was hoping for a TV Movie to show Fox the ratings points and the Budget. Instead it will only prove to Fox that their decision to cut the Over-Priced show was correct as it will fail at the Box office and come in way over Budget.

Also, LOL on SciFi network claiming FireFly was to expensive of a show to bring to it's network; this from the same people who are trying to get BAttleStar Gallatica back into production.

BTW-- I preffered the independent series "Star Hunter"(01-02) to FireFly last year even though I had to stay up to 2am on Sunday night to catch it on my local Fox station.

Last edited by Taur : 06-24-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:54 AM   #23
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur
Also, LOL on SciFi network claiming FireFly was to expensive of a show to bring to it's network; this from the same people who are trying to get BAttleStar Gallatica back into production.
SciFi wants their own shows, so those two points of view are not inconsistent (that it would be too expensive to buy Firefly but not too expensive to produce Galactica).
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:26 AM   #24
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
SciFi wants their own shows, so those two points of view are not inconsistent (that it would be too expensive to buy Firefly but not too expensive to produce Galactica).
I am lost. Please explain Star Gate then.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:46 AM   #25
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Who produces Stargate?

I know SciFi dropped Farscape because of cost, and I've heard more than once that they'd prefer to keep their productions in-house. Firefly would not be in-house and was high-budget, by SciFi's standards. I assume Galactica would be in-house, so costs for SciFi would be lower.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:10 AM   #26
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
Who produces Stargate?

I know SciFi dropped Farscape because of cost, and I've heard more than once that they'd prefer to keep their productions in-house. Firefly would not be in-house and was high-budget, by SciFi's standards. I assume Galactica would be in-house, so costs for SciFi would be lower.
No Sarcasm intended, but I do not know What you mean.

I am thinking what the Sci-Fi network did with the ex-Fox series sliders. They bought the rights from Fox, killed off the actors who would not take a pay cut, and I assume then started production "in-House"

I am also thinking that was the same formula they used when they aquired StarGate. Although I have not seen to many changes to the set.

--BTW-- My favorite cancelation/relocaton of all time comes from the CBS series Due South. After CBS cancelled the series Paul Gross moved it up North to Canada and started producing it as an independent show. Of course some of the actors had to be replaced, like the costar who went into deep cover and then had 2 cameos in the first episode and series finale. And, who could forget that first episode....A mad killer comes into town and proceeds to burn down Ray's house, the local police station, the apartment house, and finally the Canadian Consulate. A clean sweep of every soundstage CBS had built for the series.

Last edited by Taur : 06-25-2004 at 05:25 AM.
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #27
Bonegavel

Still mad at Fox for canceling Firefly. And who cares if it was like Cowboy Beebop (which it obviously was)? I was no Joss Whedon fan (never got into Buffy) but became one and I really thought Firefly had a great mix of cast chemistry, writing, setting, and production value.

I watch the entire DVD set at least once a month.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #28
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I'm mad at all the idiot viewers who didn't watch it. OK, Fox messed with the episode ordering, and the timeslot wasn't the greatest, but the ratings were terrible.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #29
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I don't know if it will break any records when it comes out, but I'll go see it.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-25-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:56 AM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I bought the Firefly DVD set a few months ago. I never saw the series (living in Europe), but I heard good things and Joss Whedon is the man. I finally sat down and watched the DVDs. Wow. Firefly was awesome. An amazing show. Great characters. Great action. Great dialogue. The show had it all. The world was oddly believable and engrossing, despite being, well, odd. I loved it. It really hit its stride and it was only the first season. Fox totally screwed it. Not airing the pilot. The time slot. Everything. Un-freakin'-believable. Firefly was one of the best TV programs I have seen in years. Couldn't reccommend it enough.

I guess we're just stuck with more reality-TV crap. Great.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:49 AM   #31
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah I've been watching DVDs lately and thinking exactly the same thing. I knew it would be cancelled because of its timeslot, but it was still extremely disappointing when it was. Great show.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
Rizon
Pro Starter

Firefly debuted 10 years ago today. RIP.

Firefly 10th Anniversary Celebration Art Print
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote