Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #5501
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Pics please.

Thankfully I don't have any. Trust me, you didn't want to see "Bucky Beaver" anyway
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #5502
miked
College Starter

I'm so confused. If MU is holding offers from SEC, ACC, B1g, and the PAC-n, why do they even bother staying in the B12? If Texas is allegedly sucking the life out of the conference and nobody thinks it will even be around in another few years, why not just go for the better offer?

Also, I thought conferences didn't invite teams.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #5503
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you see the ACC adding two more (Rutgers and UConn)?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #5504
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The timing of MU and OU's game could not be more amusing given the circumstances.

Mizzou doesn’t commit to Big 12, SEC still an option - KansasCity.com

The reports locally indicate that the MU's admins were not pleased with the OU news conference that was held to upstage Mizzou's news conference. PowerMizzou.com along with a few other sites are reporting that Mizzou does have an unconditional offer to the SEC that still stands. It also appears that Mizzou, not OU is the one pushing for radical reform of revenue distribution or they will take the SEC offer.

A week ago, OU had UT by the balls and MU was waiting to see what happens. Now OU's campus is known as University of Texas-Norman and Mizzou is the one holding all the cards.

Days of our Lives: The Big 12 Conference Edition

Is it really upstaging when someone more important than you says something at the same time?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #5505
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Totally unscientific with no sources, but it makes sense to me. That said, if you're the ACC, you can just sit back and wait. It's not like the SEC or Big 10 are coming knocking for them so they're yours whenever you want them. But, who knows, maybe something odd will kick loose and you'll try to snag someone else as maybe Texas decides they want to go there or at least use the conference for possible leverage. I don't think there's any hurry

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #5506
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

I'd sit and wait on the Notre Dame rumors. I don't see the Big Ten being all that hot for UConn and/or Rutgers, so you can get them if the Irish go where they're expected.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #5507
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think it happens, for quite some time, unless other conferences make the jump to 16, some of the current ACC schools get poached by the Big Ten or SEC, or Notre Dame somehow decides the ACC is their best fit.

The current mood on UConn seems to be that they are being blocked by Boston College. There is some bad blood between the school related to the 2003 move (UConn had invested a lot of money to move up to DI and they were probably the most aggressive and outspoken in the lawsuit against the defecting teams) and the simple fact that they are the two primary New England schools (and UConn seemed to rapidly pass by the more established BC). I read somewhere that they inquired and were told that they could join if they partner with Notre Dame, which is a not so subtle way of saying, "NO!"

Outisde of the early talk of the ACC quickly moving to 16, which died down after a few days and now appears to have mostly been blog speculation, Rutgers seems to have been left out of all the conversations. They seem to have that Missouri-dynamic going on, where they look good in a pair with a strong partner or in a group of additions, but can't seem to get enough traction on their own.

As an aside, with the addition of Pitt and Syracuse, Penn State has been mentioned a little bit. I read today that the Big Ten has had a deal in place since 2007 that signs away all of their media rights for 20-years. So, if Penn State were to leave, they could not earn any television revenue until 2027. That should put that rumor to bed.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #5508
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I get the feeling that the ACC wants to take UConn right NOW, but that would force them to add another team to balance it out, and no one is really high on Rutgers - which is the only other team in the Big East the ACC would even consider.

The plan is to sit back and wait for ND to finally get fed up with the Big East and see what they do. If they say yes to the ACC, then they invite UConn and they're done. If ND stays independent or goes B1G, then the hand-wringing begins.

I think UConn is going to join without a doubt. Not now, maybe not next year, but they're in - it's just a matter of finding a partner for them.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #5509
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Any truth to the rumor that hours after the UN accepts Palestine's membership application, Mizzou will be taken in as well?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #5510
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I heard rumor that Palestine really wants East Jerusalem, but to balance things out, they've made an unofficial offer to Missouri .
Old 09-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #5511
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I heard rumor that Palestine really wants East Jerusalem, but to balance things out, they've made an unofficial offer to Missouri .

I heard Missouri has an offer, but they also have an offer from the Federation of Planets. They hold all the cards.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #5512
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Has one school ever had invitations to join every single conference at the same time? Inconceivable!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #5513
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I heard Missouri has an offer, but they also have an offer from the Federation of Planets. They hold all the cards.

Don't forget last year's invite to join The Justice League, although I hear Superman's fighting like hell to revoke it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #5514
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would have thought a better League joke for the Big XII (IX?) right now would be the League of Nations

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #5515
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I would have thought a better League joke for the Big XII (IX?) right now would be the League of Nations

SI

Nah. League of Women Voters.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #5516
digamma
Torchbearer

One of my friends called it the Bovine Nine.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #5517
Klinglerware
College Starter

I think Missouri has an Ivy League invite too, but the rumor is that it's contingent on Oxford starting a football program (my sources say that Cambridge and Wellesley already declined the invite)
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #5518
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Has one school ever had invitations to join every single conference at the same time? Inconceivable!

No -- close though. Oddly enough, according to my sources, the only conference not to invite them was the MVC.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #5519
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
I get the feeling that the ACC wants to take UConn right NOW, but that would force them to add another team to balance it out, and no one is really high on Rutgers - which is the only other team in the Big East the ACC would even consider.

Interestingly enough, I read a story written by a Baltimore Sun reporter who says that the ACC isn't as high on UConn as the UConn PR machine is making it sound.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #5520
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Interestingly enough, I read a story written by a Baltimore Sun reporter who says that the ACC isn't as high on UConn as the UConn PR machine is making it sound.

While UConn adds basketball cred, it's not like the ACC is hurting in that regard. A school with a better football rep would likely benefit them more.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #5521
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

See, you know what this keeps reminding me of?

If you've read the Song of Ice and Fire, think about the backstory for Brienne of Tarth.

Does that sound familiar at all?

I'm as big a fan of Mizzou athletics as any of the others here (although probably more understated in that love than some), but that's exactly the vibe this thread gives me.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #5522
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
See, you know what this keeps reminding me of?

If you've read the Song of Ice and Fire, think about the backstory for Brienne of Tarth.
I was thinking you were gonna compare MBBF to George R.R. Martin. "Next book's coming out soon, I swear... just need to untie the Meereen knot... one more chapter to go... everything's finalized, I can't give the release date yet, but it's definitely happening."
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #5523
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post

what?? No way that could be true. There's no way a college PR machine would do that. Next you're going to tell me a school would start rumors about several other conferences being interested in it at one time.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #5524
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

They need more space cash.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #5525
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Man I cant believe no one is talking about ANYthing on this subject

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #5526
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdude View Post

Well, the Texas A&M move was made official today by the SEC.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-25-2011 at 06:16 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #5527
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdude View Post

All the guys owning Rivals sites have about gotten all the use out of this possible for now and are going to start spooling up their vague commentary about recruits again instead.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #5528
tarcone
Coordinator

Im afraid this thread is going to die.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #5529
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im afraid this thread is going to die.

Not as long as there's a Tiger left in Missouri
Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #5530
timmynausea
College Starter

I'll believe it if/when it happens, but here's a new tweet making the rounds from an ESPN radio affiliate in South Jersey:

Quote:
Im hearing #WVU will leave Big East, for SEC expect announcement by weekend

Twitter
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #5531
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

SEC: No plans to add 14th team when A&M joins - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

You can't keep making statements like this and then turn around and add a school that's been widely rumored for weeks. I mean, you can, but then you look pretty stupid.

Then again, this is the conference employing Bobby Petrino and Nick Saban, so...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-27-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #5532
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Well, who's more likely to look stupid? The SEC or WVU?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #5533
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

More gubernatorial shenanigans in the ACC:

Connecticut governor says UConn's future lies with the ACC
Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #5534
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
SEC: No plans to add 14th team when A&M joins - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

You can't keep making statements like this and then turn around and add a school that's been widely rumored for weeks. I mean, you can, but then you look pretty stupid.

Then again, this is the conference employing Bobby Petrino and Nick Saban, so...

Eh... Not saying the WVU rumor has any validity to it, but didn't the SEC deny the A&M stuff right up until it was official? Didn't the ACC say they had no interest in expansion right up until Pitt and Syracuse were accepted? To me it's no different than all of the coaches that have "no interest" in leaving X school (and/or the Dolphins in Nick Saban's case) and leave 2 weeks later.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #5535
Ksyrup

I don't know... the length of time this has been going on, coupled with the fact that all of these issues have basically been resolved across the country, make it feel a little different at this point. It'd be one thing if there was chaos still going on, but things seem to be settling down, so you either grab one of the two or three easily accessible teams who can move right now, or you sit on your hands until someone makes the next move.

I just think if it's going to be Mizzou or WVU, making a statement like this is ridiculous, since everyone knows they want in and are available. Nothing will have changed between now and then. Now, if they're looking at ND or FSU or VT, etc., then I can understand a "circumstances have changed" alibi. Otherwise, shit or get off the pot, as my dad says.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #5536
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Hows this for the rumor mill...if it matters..

BYU has an official offer from the Big XII.....they are hashing over the details right now.

Sticking points...Sunday Play (rumor is it has been met)

BYUtv rebroadcast rights (falls under third tier and should be ok)

Not pissing of the WCC (Commissioner of WCC knew this might happen and stated as much and their would be no blocking on their end)

The rumor mill also states one thing that is helpful for all schools involved is bringing in the existing BYU deal with ESPN and spreading that wealth to the conference members which is currently being negotiated as well.

Now I won't jump up and down and cheer...or anything else...I want this to happen just for the trek to the cartman house and Salt Lick BBQ when we play in Austin..
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #5537
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Hows this for the rumor mill...if it matters..

BYU has an official offer from the Big XII.....they are hashing over the details right now.

Sticking points...Sunday Play (rumor is it has been met)

BYUtv rebroadcast rights (falls under third tier and should be ok)

Not pissing of the WCC (Commissioner of WCC knew this might happen and stated as much and their would be no blocking on their end)

The rumor mill also states one thing that is helpful for all schools involved is bringing in the existing BYU deal with ESPN and spreading that wealth to the conference members which is currently being negotiated as well.

Now I won't jump up and down and cheer...or anything else...I want this to happen just for the trek to the cartman house and Salt Lick BBQ when we play in Austin..

I never understood why Sunday play was an issue; my guess is that's the other sports, right? Not so much the football program as the other sports which could, conceivably, get scheduled on a Sunday.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #5538
tarcone
Coordinator

Does Texas het a bigger chunk of the BYU/ESPN money then everyone else. They saved the BigXII, you know.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #5539
Ksyrup

The contract proceeds are being diverted to Missouri to keep them from leaving, of course.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #5540
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I never understood why Sunday play was an issue; my guess is that's the other sports, right? Not so much the football program as the other sports which could, conceivably, get scheduled on a Sunday.

I know basketball is a big deal, probably a lot of the smaller sports also. (Weekend baseball series, gymnastics meets...)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #5541
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes, most of the other sports have sunday games as well as championships. There was a big to do about their Women's Rugby Team walking away from either the Championship game or Semi-Final game because it was on a Sunday...and being fine with their decision.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #5542
timmynausea
College Starter

Jon Wilner tweets:

Quote:
B12 bracing for Mizzou to leave, considering a plan to add 4 schools: BYU, Boise, WVU and Ville. Many steps btwn here and there, of course
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #5543
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Tough to link on the phone but sportspickle.com has a copy of he SEC and Big East conference applications that's worth a look.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #5544
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Applications for Big 12 Membership and Big East Membership - SportsPickle Opinion
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #5545
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Jon Wilner tweets:

I dunno. I think +BYU and +BSU would be a net gain for the Big 12 over TAMU and Mizzou, if they can pull it off.

I'd still prefer to see Mizzou and Kansas remain in the same conference if the Big Ten isn't a viable alternative, though.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #5546
sooner333
College Starter

I don't really like the moves, but it would replace zero BCS wins in the last decade with 5 BCS wins. Only two appearances by the four departures in that time period.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #5547
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I dunno. I think +BYU and +BSU would be a net gain for the Big 12 over TAMU and Mizzou, if they can pull it off.
Personally I don't think so, and there's no bigger booster for Boise than me. A big reason: outside football, Boise is awful. They will get pounded in most sports. Any basketball win would be a huge upset.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #5548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
They will get pounded in most sports. Any basketball win would be a huge upset.

After a 22-13 season last year? 2 CBI appearances in the last 3 years (yeah, I know it's weak but still better than nothing at all).

I wouldn't think they're what you'd call real good exactly but I'd think they'd win 2-4 games a year just based on the travel hangover the opponents could have alone.

Am I missing something here?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #5549
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, they're still an above average D1 program. Better than Texas Tech and Oklahoma. I don't see why they couldn't have competed with Iowa State, OK State, and Baylor last year. Won't finish near the top or anything, but won't be embarrasing themselves either.

And BYU would have been the 3rd best team in that conference last year.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-28-2011 at 12:07 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #5550
bhlloy
Coordinator

I might just having a curmudgeon moment here, but I hope that if Boise joins a BCS conference they make them get rid of that god-damn awful gimmicky blue turf.

It was cool for a while, and it got you noticed, but trying to watch players in blue run around on the same shade of blue turf for a whole game gets old real quick. And god help me if Eastern Washington ever plays a team I'm interested in because I think I'm going to have a seizure.

Bah, grumble, humbug.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote