Time for the Manchester Derby!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #1352
larrymcg421
Head Coach

City blowing lots of good chances so far.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #1353
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Gooooooooooooooooal! City up 1-0

Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #1354
miked
College Starter

All those chances, and they grab what appeared to be an easy one on the corner.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #1355
Grover
Pro Starter

I knew straight away by team selection that United would be playing for a draw.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #1356
larrymcg421
Head Coach

United playing like shit. Some really lazy passes and clearances.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #1357
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I knew straight away by team selection that United would be playing for a draw.

As they should have. City dominated.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #1358
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
As they should have. City dominated.

Playing for a draw with the title essentially on the line is a poor, poor decision by Ferguson. I knew as soon as I saw Park in the lineup that they would lose the match. The 4-3-3 offered nothing whatsoever and pretty much left Rooney alone up top with no service.

I like Park because he's industrious, but a lot of the time he looks like a chicken with his head cut off the way he runs about the pitch.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #1359
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Playing for a draw with the title essentially on the line is a poor, poor decision by Ferguson. I knew as soon as I saw Park in the lineup that they would lose the match. The 4-3-3 offered nothing whatsoever and pretty much left Rooney alone up top with no service.

I like Park because he's industrious, but a lot of the time he looks like a chicken with his head cut off the way he runs about the pitch.

Tie would have won the league though. They would have been hard pressed to lose a four point lead with two to play. It's not over as it is. City is going to have a tough game versus Newcastle. Still not anything totally decided.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #1360
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The problem with playing for a 0-0 is that one mistake can kill you, de Gea was untroubled for the entire half and then Kompany gets an easy chance. And then the team still did nothing with the ball in the second half.

Park hadn't played in weeks and looked rusty. Even when he was played this season he hasn't looked as quick or tenacious as he did in previous seasons, he's getting old and since he was never particularly gifted technically, he doesn't offer a whole lot anymore.

But I can understand why he was picked, due to injuries there aren't many options in midfield and if you want to play three in the middle to harry the opposition, putting Carrick, Scholes, and Giggs in middle isn't going to do that well since all three are slow.

Maybe SAF should have gone with a 4-4-2 but after giving up four last week and facing an in form City on the road, I understand why he chose not to. 4-5-1 is what he goes with in the UCL knockouts on the road, when we're at
Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. It might have worked too but Smalling lost Kompany for one moment that was that. It's not like we created anything after Welbeck came on either. Maybe with Park in the middle, we should have gone with Valencia and Nani/Young on the wings instead of playing Giggs. I dunno.

It was an incredibly disappointing game and I think City will win the league now (probably 75-25 at this point), but the no-show at Wigan, the sleepwalking through the final ten minutes against Everton, stuff like losing to fucking Blackburn at Old Trafford a few months ago, that cost us just as much as today did.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #1361
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

This gif about sums it up. One team is full of a bunch of whining cheating twats and the other isn't. United are nothing special when the match isn't handed to them on a silver platter.

Rooney did absolutely nothing all game besides trying to get Kompany carded on more than one occasion and screaming every time a City player had the ball bounce off of their chest. It's pathetic really. I pity anyone that has to root for that guy. Oof.

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #1362
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #1363
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Right now 'Arry couldn't get the lob of London Dogcatcher, never mind England manager.

Quote:
Are you kidding? Harry could lose out with Spurs and they'd still hand him that job on a silver platter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Please. . . He lost on the road at Arsenal and lost against ManU with Parker out. Despite that, they actually outplayed ManU for most of the first half. Like Liverpool yesterday, they didn't capitalize on it and paid the price in the second half.

Harry is next England manager. I don't think there is any doubt about it.

So let me get this straight. The Liverpool job is too big for Roy Hodgson, but he is the perfect guy for the England job? I like Roy so please England fans and media, don't rip him too much okay?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1364
Grover
Pro Starter

I think a lot of people fail to realize that Woy actually had Switzerland third in the world at one point.

He's good tactically, but isn't the best man management kind of guy. I hope he does well. Anything is better than having to sit through Redknapp interviews.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #1365
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think a lot of people fail to realize that Woy actually had Switzerland third in the world at one point.

He's good tactically, but isn't the best man management kind of guy. I hope he does well. Anything is better than having to sit through Redknapp interviews.

I think everyone knows that Roy is tactically astute. It is that man management part that might concern England fans. All I heard from the pundits is someone needs to come in and put their arms around the players. Roy does not strike me as that sort of guy. Now maybe, just maybe it was just about the fact that English is his first language and the players will respond to him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #1366
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I think everyone knows that Roy is tactically astute. It is that man management part that might concern England fans. All I heard from the pundits is someone needs to come in and put their arms around the players. Roy does not strike me as that sort of guy. Now maybe, just maybe it was just about the fact that English is his first language and the players will respond to him.

My take on it is that Roy is the 'safe choice' - he'll do a competant job and make England efficient and hard to beat, probably go out in the semi's .... most likely on Penalties to Germany

It troubles me however that the FA opted for him rather than a more ambitious long term manager who I think would be more inclined to give youth a chance and the team a chance to blossom in the long term rather than grind for a 'successful' (but ultimately non-winning) tournament.

(just my take - I'm sure lots of people disagree with me on this, however I see what Germany have been doing and think that a similar approach would be far better long term for England rather than continuing to rely upon our present stars many of whom are unlikely to be around come the next World Cup ... time will tell, hopefully Hodgson will surprise me and bring through several of our younger players)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #1367
Grover
Pro Starter

Who do you think would give the kids a chance, Marc? I feel like Harry would be more likely to play the old boys, much like Hodgson.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #1368
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Huge win away for Newcastle over Chelsea, capped by...this. Good lord.

Papiss Cissé Enters His Bid For Premiership Goal Of The Season
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #1369
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

My boss just sent me that highlight. What the heck was up with the 10 minutes of injury time? Did SAF become the Chelsea manager?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #1370
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Nah, Tiote got carried off in a stretcher & neck brace - they were working on him for quite awhile. Looked pretty bad, but he wound up being okay.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1371
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Guy is cold blooded, was stellar at Freiburg (my 2nd favourite german team) as well before. At first i was mad he decided he wanted to leave (especially considering he was only there for 1 1/2 seasons before starting to broker a deal away), but things worked out well for the club in the end, getting a good sum of money for him and becoming a better team. Not nescesserily due to him leaving but mainly due a genius coaching job (ultimate "us against the world" team he formed out of young players who would run and fight like mad while still having the talent to move the ball), but still it worked out.

So luckily i don´t have to be mad at him and can just enjoy his success
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #1372
Grover
Pro Starter

Cisse's late goal is one of the best I've ever seen. Absolutely incredible strike.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #1373
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Hopefully Cisse keeps it up this weekend. I'm glad Newcastle has a lot to play for.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1374
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

hard to believe newcastle was in the championship 2 seasons ago and had a bad team full of overpaid players who didnt give a shit. now theyre in great shape to get into the CL
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #1375
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Cisse's first goal was a thing of beauty as well. Hard to believe the Magpies could actually go 3rd if Arsenal slips up.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #1376
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Who do you think would give the kids a chance, Marc? I feel like Harry would be more likely to play the old boys, much like Hodgson.

My preferred would be 'Martin O'Neil' - he's a very intelligent manager and I think he has the self-belief/confidence and ability to do the job long term and also to ignore the media.

(now whether England could have persuaded him to take the job is another matter entirely )
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #1377
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Hopefully Cisse keeps it up this weekend. I'm glad Newcastle has a lot to play for.

Still a LOT of work for Newcastle to do to keep Chelsea below them imho - 4 points in it, they play Man City (at Home) next .... thats a HUGE game, both teams need to win it, a draw isn't good enough ...

If Newcastle don't get something from that then it could well go down to their final match away against Everton to see where they finish up.

(and despite having had incredibly good seasons its still entirely possible that they and/or Spurs will end up outside of the CL places)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-03-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #1378
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And don't forget that if Chelsea beat Bayern in the final (stranger things have happened) they steal the fourth Champions League spot
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #1379
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
My preferred would be 'Martin O'Neil' - he's a very intelligent manager and I think he has the self-belief/confidence and ability to do the job long term and also to ignore the media.

(now whether England could have persuaded him to take the job is another matter entirely )

I love O'Neill, when he was rumored to West Ham in January 2011, I was beyond stoked... and then disappointed when Grant was kept in charge.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #1380
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Controversial drama in the Eredivisie concerning the distribution of European football tickets.

Standings:
1. Ajax 73 pts - clinched CL berth
2. Feyenoord 67 pts
3. PSV 66 pts
4. Heerenveen 64 pts
5. AZ 62 pts
6. FC Twente 60 pts

2nd place goes to the CL
3rd and 4th place go to the EL
5th place goes to the EL if PSV doesn't get a CL ticket

Next Sunday's key game:
Heerenveen - Feyenoord

Okay, so what's the controversial part?
If Feyenoord wins, Feyenoord finish 2nd and go to CL, Heerenveen 4th or 5th and go to EL
If Heerenveen wins, PSV or Feyenoord finish 2nd and go to CL (Feyenoord has a suprior goal difference vs Heerenveen), Heerenveen 3rd or 4th amd go to EL
If Heerenveen-Feyenoord ends up tied and PSV wins and AZ wins, PSV finishes 2nd and goes to CL, Feyenoord 3rd and EL, AZ 4th and EL, Heerenveen 5th and go into a 4-team playoff for the 4th EL ticket

This would mean that in the end, if Heerenveen-Feyenoord is tied going into the last minute and both PSV and AZ are leading their game respective games, Heerenveen will be better of allowing a game-losing goal than maintaining the tied score...

MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #1381
miami_fan
Coordinator

Playoffs!

I would prefer to see Cardiff City and Blackpool making the final with Cardiff going up.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #1382
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would prefer to see Cardiff City and Blackpool making the final with Cardiff going up.

Boo! Come on you Irons!

The only thing that makes me want West Ham to take another season in the Championship is so Allardyce gets sacked.

Last edited by Grover : 05-03-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #1383
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Boo! Come on you Irons!

The only thing that makes me want West Ham to take another season in the Championship is so Allardyce gets sacked.

Isn't Big Sam supposed to be on his way to Camp Nou to take his rightful place?

Yeah I can't take the chance of having him in the EPL. Sorry
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #1384
bhlloy
Coordinator

miami_fan is now my new favorite poster

I don't know if I'll be watching even if we make the final. The last 3 Wembley visits have been heartbreaking
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #1385
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Isn't Big Sam supposed to be on his way to Camp Nou to take his rightful place?

Yeah I can't take the chance of having him in the EPL. Sorry

Fat Sam would have so many titles if he had a squad like Barcelona, Real or Chelsea at his disposal. Greatest manager of all time.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #1386
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
miami_fan is now my new favorite poster

I don't know if I'll be watching even if we make the final. The last 3 Wembley visits have been heartbreaking

LOL

I just want to see a new club in the EPL. The two Welsh teams in the EPL would be an added bonus.

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-03-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #1387
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hammers up 1-0
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #1388
whomario
Pro Starter

can´t be posted too often i say :

anyone have one from his first goal against Chelsea (which was nearly as awesome)

EDIT : Fight the power

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-03-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #1389
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
can´t be posted too often i say :

The hosting service seems to be saying it can, although I don't speak German.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #1390
Grover
Pro Starter

Young Jack with a brace to put the Hammers within a step to Wembley!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #1391
whomario
Pro Starter

Arsenal with an embarassing showing against Norwich ...

Dortmund up 3:0 in their last game and so will very likely finish with the best record ever in the german Bundesliga 28 games without loosing (23 wins, 5 draws) now, since the winter break 15 wins and 2 draws.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #1392
Grover
Pro Starter

Messi currently has four goals today. 72 in all competitions this year.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #1393
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Messi currently has four goals today. 72 in all competitions this year.

72 for Messi, 63 for Ronaldo. Is a 100 goal season possible? Three years ago you would have said that 60 was impossible.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #1394
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Arsenal with an embarassing showing against Norwich ...

Was watching that with an Arsenal supporting mate and Arsenal fought so blooming hard to get back into that game, then went 3-2 up and went totally to sleep ....... awful defending, totally bizarre as well because they had it in the bag at 3-2 and were still playing like it was a school ground match pushing everyone forward.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #1395
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Was watching that with an Arsenal supporting mate and Arsenal fought so blooming hard to get back into that game, then went 3-2 up and went totally to sleep ....... awful defending, totally bizarre as well because they had it in the bag at 3-2 and were still playing like it was a school ground match pushing everyone forward.

Thought that game summed up Arsenal's season perfectly.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #1396
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #1397
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I'm betting on City to beat Man Utd on Monday, declare themselves champions, then lose at Newcastle United to hand it back to Man Utd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This is the most absolutely inevitable thing in history. Write it down

oops
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #1398
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Well that's this season over. That last ten minutes against Everton will be remembered for a long time, among other games. Unbelievable that we pissed away an eight point lead in the last month to lose it.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #1399
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Thought that game summed up Arsenal's season perfectly.

Actually, the results of today summed it up even more perfectly. Newcastle and Tottenham miss out on chances to take over. This actually gives hope that they might still take third until it is ripped from our grasp with about 10 minutes to go next week.

Here is how 3rd/4th look right now:

Arsenal - 67 points (+24) - @ West Brom
Tottenham - 66 points (+23) vs. Fulham
Newcastle - 65 points (+7) @ Everton
Chelsea - 61 points (+21) - @ Liverpool, vs. Blackburn

Arsenal win, they get third, that simple. Newcastle need help with the goal differential and with Chelsea potentially winning the CL. I think Tottenham are actually in fairly good shape here. Beat Fulham at home and either an Arsenal loss or tie or a Chelsea loss in the CL final gets them in. (I'd put those odds fairly solidly in their favor)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #1400
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Tense afternoon.

FSC is airing the Milan derby before the Juve game, so at least (assuming I can continue to avoid spoilers) I will know going into the Juve game whether or not they can secure the title...depending on the result of the Milan derby.

AAARGH...TENSE!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote