Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1251
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Balotelli is the next Gascoigne.

I figure him to be Anelka 2.0, new and improved.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #1252
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I figure him to be Anelka 2.0, new and improved.

I don't think he'll ever have himself together enough. Crash and burn is the only ending for Balotelli.

At least Anelka carved out a full career for himself. Balotelli... eesh... car accidents, lighting fireworks inside the house, his constant braindead actions on the pitch. Amazing the FA isn't taking action for his stamp on Song at the weekend.

I can totally see him doing what Roy Keane did to Haland way back.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #1253
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Blackburn - Liverpool hasn't been a well played game by any means but it has certainly been interesting.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #1254
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Robben just had a late PK saved in the Dortmund - Bayern game, afterwards Subotic got in his face to give him some shit. Subotic reminded me of a less insane Martin Keown at that moment. Dortmund is winning 1-0 with a few minutes left.

Man Utd are playing like they think they won the league on the weekend and went on some kind of binge, they were totally outplayed by Wigan in the first half, it's 0-0 at half time.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #1255
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhh, Dortmund holds on

And after the penalty Subotic almost scores an own goal hitting the crossbar, the rebound goes to Robben and he sends it metres over from 3 metres distance. Crazy ending to the game, but iīll take it Surely a bit of luck ionvolved (but then again Dortmund had propably 7,8 good chances to 3,4 by Bayern including hitting woodwork twice)

Robben was basically a one man team all game, i just canīt stomach watching him anymore. No matter how brilliant he is, heīs not playing the game right. I absolutely donīt mind guys doing risky things or trying their own luck at times, but with him the only time he passes the ball is when he canīt help it or when he thinks it will get him in a better position.

Overall another brilliant defensive performance, amazing how little impact Robben and Ribery had for most of the game again, Gomez wasnīt any sort of factor (he just sucks in games where he doesnīt have space, technically heīs just not good) either.

p.s. : Subotic is sort of crazy, very loopy guy off the pitch as well , exhibit A is him spontaneausly getting out of his car, jumping on itīs roof and orchestrating an impromptu champiosnhip celebration on a dortmund street : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPko8L5A0I

p.s. No 2 : Have to say that the Referee had a brilliant game, was in total controll of it throughout.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-11-2012 at 03:07 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #1256
Grover
Pro Starter

I wish Subotic had declared for USA.

Sigh.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #1257
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Man Utd were genuinely terrible this afternoon. Sure, Wigan's goal came from a corner that was an obvious goal kick and Man Utd should have been awarded at least one PK in the second half (the Figueroa handball block and Caldwell's shirt tug on Welbeck after he'd dribbled by him) but they were so lifeless out there. SAF better give them hell in the dressing room for sleepwalking like the league was already over.

Now it's only a five point lead with a derby still to come.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #1258
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Man U got the usual Fergie minutes (extra time that goes on forever), and given the "breaks" in the last 3 games they've gotten (to say nothing of the Wigan goal that was disallowed), I think you guys are hard-pressed to claim victim status.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1259
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm hardly claiming "victim status," just pointing out one obvious mistake and a few more debatable ones that had a big effect on the game.

Sure, we lucked out against Fulham and QPR never had a chance after that bad call early on against them (there were no controversial decisions in the Blackburn game though), imo that doesn't mean I should just shrug things off when my own team gets dicked over.

And this is a comment in general, not really a reply to anyone in here, but over the years I can't help but notice that whenever Man Utd get a favorable decision I see all the conspiracy theorists come out, read the complaints about "Fergie Time" and how he and Rooney somehow intimidate refs, etc. Then when a call goes against them, if there is a mention of it at all, people just say refs in general are bad, brush it off or seem to take joy from the errors, due to "what goes around comes around" or something like they're the only club to ever benefit from a bad call.

Compare the furor in the media and among fans to refereeing mistakes after the Fulham and QPR games to when United were robbed against Newcastle, or how upset people got after Welbeck's dive to win the PK against Chelsea in that 3-3 comeback game compared to the fact that Cahill should have seen red in the first half for a missed tackle from behind on Welbeck in the box when Cahill was the last man. I could go on but I'm not really trying for a messageboard version of the infamous Rafa Benitez "facts" press conference.

It's just kind of funny and annoying at the same time. I guess it's the result of all that winning over the last two decades.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1260
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I'm hardly claiming "victim status," just pointing out one obvious mistake and a few more debatable ones that had a big effect on the game.

Sure, we lucked out against Fulham and QPR never had a chance after that bad call early on against them (there were no controversial decisions in the Blackburn game though), imo that doesn't mean I should just shrug things off when my own team gets dicked over.

And this is a comment in general, not really a reply to anyone in here, but over the years I can't help but notice that whenever Man Utd get a favorable decision I see all the conspiracy theorists come out, read the complaints about "Fergie Time" and how he and Rooney somehow intimidate refs, etc. Then when a call goes against them, if there is a mention of it at all, people just say refs in general are bad, brush it off or seem to take joy from the errors, due to "what goes around comes around" or something like they're the only club to ever benefit from a bad call.

Compare the furor in the media and among fans to refereeing mistakes after the Fulham and QPR games to when United were robbed against Newcastle, or how upset people got after Welbeck's dive to win the PK against Chelsea in that 3-3 comeback game compared to the fact that Cahill should have seen red in the first half for a missed tackle from behind on Welbeck in the box when Cahill was the last man. I could go on but I'm not really trying for a messageboard version of the infamous Rafa Benitez "facts" press conference.

It's just kind of funny and annoying at the same time. I guess it's the result of all that winning over the last two decades.

It's the winning. . . but it seems like everytime Arsenal have visited Old Trafford the last 8 years, they have been screwed on multiple calls a game. (outside of this year, we just got smoked) Last years penalty award to Rooney sticks out as one of the single worst calls I have ever seen in any sport.

That said, the refs in soccer are getting worse and worse. Between the ridiculous calls this weekend with the fact that multiple clear cut violent conduct charges were skipped because "the ref kind of sort of saw it," the EPL is looking like a bunch of morons. Something needs to change, because this has been terrible.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #1261
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
1. Ajax 58 pts
2. AZ 57 pts
3. FC Twente 55 pts
4. PSV 54 pts
5. Feyenoord 54 pts
6. SC Heerenveen 54 pts
So much for that...
Heerenveen 0 v 5 Ajax
AZ 2 v 2 Twente
RKC 2 v 1 PSV
Roda JC 0 v 0 Feyenoord

5 round to go:
1. Ajax 61 pts
2. AZ 58 pts
3. FC Twente 56 pts
4. Feyenoord 55 pts
5. PSV 54 pts
6. SC Heerenveen 54 pts
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #1262
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Congrats, whomario, that should lock it up for your boys.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #1263
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Congrats, whomario, that should lock it up for your boys.

not quite sure of that yet, with the worse goal difference we need 7 more points from 4 games itīs allways tough to win at Schalke and we struggled against Gladbach the last couple times ...

Raul leaves Schalke after the season btw, instead of staying there for good money or going elsewhere in Europe for very good money he chooses to go to Quatar for ridibulous money. Reportedly 9 mio a season for 4 years ...
I just donīt get it, no clue why so many players do it, especially a guy like Raul who really hasnīt got a reputation of having blown his money and seems such a heady guy. Was great theese 2 years at Schalke and could have easily played another 2 seasons at champions league level either there or elsewhere.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #1264
Grover
Pro Starter

Sulky Nic Anelka is claiming he is now player-manager at Shanghai.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #1265
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It's the winning. . . but it seems like everytime Arsenal have visited Old Trafford the last 8 years, they have been screwed on multiple calls a game. (outside of this year, we just got smoked) Last years penalty award to Rooney sticks out as one of the single worst calls I have ever seen in any sport.

That said, the refs in soccer are getting worse and worse. Between the ridiculous calls this weekend with the fact that multiple clear cut violent conduct charges were skipped because "the ref kind of sort of saw it," the EPL is looking like a bunch of morons. Something needs to change, because this has been terrible.

There's a good column by Graham Poll about the mismanagement of Premier League officials.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #1266
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Somone steps on Tevez's foot in the box and he gets a yellow card for diving. Unfuckingbelievable.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #1267
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Chris Foy should be sent down to League One. Wow is he terrible.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #1268
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

in other "bad" news, Guiseppe Rossi retore his surgically repaired ACL. it seems now i will never realize my dream of watching USA knock out rossi's italy in the WC
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #1269
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Don't slip up Red.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #1270
Grover
Pro Starter

Livorno star dies during match | News...

Very sad.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #1271
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Damn not again, third in a month and second death, this is just terrible. Hopefully this leads to more intensive screening, so sad seeing young athletes die like this.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #1272
MrBug708
Head Coach

Awful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #1273
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just read that apparently they test the players in Italy every 2 months, so if they are getting echos done it would have picked up cardiomyopathy. Makes it even worse when they are being diligent and still don't catch anything wrong.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #1274
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just read that apparently they test the players in Italy every 2 months, so if they are getting echos done it would have picked up cardiomyopathy. Makes it even worse when they are being diligent and still don't catch anything wrong.
Can you define 'worse' here?
Do you mean that it's more of a tragedy, since it's more random? Or that it wasn't noticed there was something not okay?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #1275
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Can you define 'worse' here?
Do you mean that it's more of a tragedy, since it's more random? Or that it wasn't noticed there was something not okay?

I'm thinking worse just means that everyone thinks they are ok and they still can't stop it. It's one thing if it's a problem nobody was aware of with the heart, but doing what you can to prevent these and still having them happen like this is terrible.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #1276
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
5 round to go:
1. Ajax 61 pts
2. AZ 58 pts
3. FC Twente 56 pts
4. Feyenoord 55 pts
5. PSV 54 pts
6. SC Heerenveen 54 pts
Saturday's results may have ended the championship race. It's turning into a five-horse race for the second CL ticket.

round 30
Ajax 3 v 1 De Graafschap
PSV 3 v 2 AZ
FC Twente 2 v 2 NAC
Feyenoord 3 v 0 Excelsior
NEC 2 v 4 SC Heerenveen

4 round to go:
1. Ajax 64 pts
2. AZ 58 pts
3. Feyenoord 58 pts
4. PSV 57 pts
5. FC Twente 57 pts
6. SC Heerenveen 57 pts
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #1277
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Ashley Young is as big of an embarrassment as Mario Balotelli is.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #1278
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #1279
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

No call, right????
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #1280
Easy Mac

That Chelsea "goal" was a foot foot from crossing the line.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #1281
miami_fan
Coordinator

Isn't the ball supposed to cross the line in order to count as goal?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #1282
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

What do you expect from a non-British player....oh wait
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #1283
Easy Mac

Why wasn't Cech sent off? Normally, when they play advantage, they still hand out a card on a foul. Cech still committed a foul, Bale just happened to be there to score.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 04-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #1284
whomario
Pro Starter

tough news to swallow out of Livorno, ugh ...

Quote:
Saturday's results may have ended the championship race. It's turning into a five-horse race for the second CL ticket.

round 30
Ajax 3 v 1 De Graafschap
PSV 3 v 2 AZ
FC Twente 2 v 2 NAC
Feyenoord 3 v 0 Excelsior
NEC 2 v 4 SC Heerenveen

4 round to go:
1. Ajax 64 pts
2. AZ 58 pts
3. Feyenoord 58 pts
4. PSV 57 pts
5. FC Twente 57 pts
6. SC Heerenveen 57 pts

yeah, and Ajax has looked very good from what iīve seen and donīt look like they would drop 2 out of 4, they simply took what was for the taking there in the end.

In Germany, Dortmund is through They beat Schalke on hostile ground 2:1 despite a genuinely crappy game. They had a couple of those close, cold hearted wins in the 2nd half of the season and those make me optimistic for the CL next season, theyīve been learning on the job how to win games when things donīt go their way. (but they simply also had a bad stretch overall that coincided with the CL game, it wasnīt that they were overmatched but that they werenīt all that good in the first half of the season, 2nd half they now have 38 out of 42 possible points (12 wins and 2 draws from 14 games) in the 2nd half.
Bayern rested key players and only managed a 0:0 draw, maybe after learning of the result (they played more than an hour after the dortmung game ended) but likely simply putting an emphasis on the CL anyway.

Now they are up 7 and can win it at home next week
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #1285
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Why wasn't Cech sent off? Normally, when they play advantage, they still hand out a card on a foul. Cech still committed a foul, Bale just happened to be there to score.

Not even a yellow. Was it just a complete miss like Chelsea's second goal, or is there some rule I don't know about here?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #1286
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Not even a yellow. Was it just a complete miss like Chelsea's second goal, or is there some rule I don't know about here?

The red card is for denying a goal scoring opportunity, so I guess since Spurs scored the ref is going for it not being denied. Should have been at least a yellow though.

Then again, I know a guy with goes by the rules "bet on Liverpool whenever Clattenburg is the ref, bet on Chelsea whenever Atkinson is the ref" so that might have something to do with it too.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #1287
Katon
College Benchwarmer

And if the ref thinks something's a red he has to stop play - so if he lets Bale tap in, he can't then send Cech off. The same thing came up in the 2006 CL final, when Jens Lehmann got sent off; Barca had tapped the ball into the net after the whistle, and there was a lot of debate whether they would have been better off with the goal instead of the extra man.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1288
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I think violence is worse than diving.

I would like some kind of replay system for penalties, close offside calls, "did the ball cross the line?" calls, etc. But if that is too much, maybe there should at least be retroactive punishment for diving, whether it's yellow cards on the players record or possibly one game suspensions after seeing the evidence. And get rid of that rule about how if the ref says he sees it but does not take appropriate action, further punishment can't be handed out after the game.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #1289
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Muamba has made excellent progress, and walked out of the hospital today.

Muamba discharged from hospital | News...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #1290
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm surprised no one's laughed at you for that comment. We do give some leeway for bias, but that is just sheer ridiculousness.
'
One person dived to win a penalty. (gasp!)

The other has been a consistent side show derailing his team's season, and has performed multiple incidents worthy of red cards and somehow avoided them (the stamp on the head, the near legbreaker.. and he still got sent off after it!)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #1291
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

LOL.

Do you have any other jokes?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #1292
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Wigan might be safe after today's win against Arsenal puts them five points clear
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #1293
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
LOL.

Do you have any other jokes?

There was the one about City doing it the right way, I thought that was pretty funny.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #1294
Flasch186
Coordinator

As a minor minor league ref, super minor league, I can tell you nothing pisses me off more than diving. Not only do I card for it (and Ill say Im one of the few refs in the league that does) I feel it truly takes away from some of the injurious tackles that occur in and around the box. I dont warn for it. I caution for it right away and that sets the tone for the way Im going to handle the box. If you get a PK and Im not making a mistake, then you deserve it.

BTW it shouldve been a yellow to Cech.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #1295
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
There was the one about City doing it the right way, I thought that was pretty funny.

Thanks in advance for Gareth Bale.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #1296
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Looks like Wigan might be safe after today's win against Arsenal puts them five points clear

I will be very happy if Wigan stays up. It seem like this is the club above all others whose status of a EPL clubs frustrates the other clubs to no end.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #1297
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Thanks in advance for Gareth Bale.

Yeah, if Spurs don't hold onto fourth this summer could be pretty ugly; of course Bale and Modric might be gone even if they do.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #1298
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
As a minor minor league ref, super minor league, I can tell you nothing pisses me off more than diving. Not only do I card for it (and Ill say Im one of the few refs in the league that does) I feel it truly takes away from some of the injurious tackles that occur in and around the box. I dont warn for it. I caution for it right away and that sets the tone for the way Im going to handle the box. If you get a PK and Im not making a mistake, then you deserve it.

BTW it shouldve been a yellow to Cech.

The one argument that I will make in favor of the players is that far too often referees play the result as opposed to calling the infraction as they see it. I am not talking about playing an advantage. I mean those cases when a player is fouled in a careless or reckless fashion or it is judged to be with excessive force but that player does not fall to the ground. From your personal view, it is possible to give a penalty kick if the fouled player does not fall to the ground? I can't remember the last one I saw.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #1299
whomario
Pro Starter

i agree with that, as a player it is absolutely infuriating if a guy comes crashing in on you, then you miss your clear chance because you have to evade him and itīs not called unless you are actually hit hard enough to loose your footing.

IMO Referees should call based on intent much more often.

30 minutes to go before Bayern-Real kicks off. Rooting for Bayern for a change (german team and all), although itīs not as blatant against Real because they feature 2 german NT players themselves.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #1300
whomario
Pro Starter

Bayern win 2:1 and give themselves a decent position for the 2nd leg at Madrid. The 1:0 was offsides but since Cassillas didnīt complain i guess it didnīt hinder him ?
Marcelo had to get a straight red there in the last minute, that was a disgusting tackle ... Overall Real very often seems to be so close to going totally berserk, i guess thatīs the drawback of Mourinho as your manager.

Overall not a great game, but very hard fought and intense (and a bit dirty on both sides). Ronaldo was a huge disapointment outside of that 1 assist for the goal, Real wasted that game by falling back so much after the 1:1.

Great assist by Lahm for the 2:1, that was class.