Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #1701
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

brazil just has better athletes. period. they can press the shit out of you because no one can outrun their back line.

wtf got into marcelo? i've seen him play a few times. never seen him play like that.

bradley's really good. hope he ends up back in england. villa was retarded for letting him walk. maybe liverpool?

speaking of liverpool they just hired rodgers.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #1702
whomario
Pro Starter

Chelsea aparently close to signing Hulk for 38 mio pound

Guess that CL title did not make Abramovitsch less motivated ... Hazard, Mata and Hulk in the offensive midfield is pretty insane to consider. And money aside, that combination makes a ton of sense with their respective abilities.

ManU very close to completing the deal for Kagawa, aparently about 12 mio pounds with and aditional 4-6 possibly coming in bonus payments for various events (titles, reaching certain cl stages, apearances, goals etc)

Imo that´s a good price considering his contract would be up next season, if that hadn´t been the case he´d have been way more expensive. Seems like a deal both teams can live with.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #1703
Grover
Pro Starter

I feel kinda bad for Marko Marin. He's getting shafted pretty hard with the Hazard and Hulk signings.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #1704
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Marin's the most stylistically similar backup the club has for Hazard and Mata; Malouda seems pretty much done, Sturridge would be cover for Hulk & Torres, and Ramires is either a more defensively oriented winger or a central midfielder depending on the formation. So his chances of starting are dead, but he should get a lot of rotation time, and "versatile cover with potential" is about what his resume suggests at a CL contender anyway.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #1705
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Can't wait to see Hulk bitchslapped around in the Premier League. He spent the majority of the two Europa legs vs City running his mouth on his behind.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #1706
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Ronaldinho quits Flamengo

good news for mls fans
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #1707
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Can't wait to see Hulk bitchslapped around in the Premier League. He spent the majority of the two Europa legs vs City running his mouth on his behind.

I rate Hulk (and not just for his uber cool name) .... I expect he'll do well, although it might take him 3-4 months to get used to the physical nature of the league.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #1708
whomario
Pro Starter

might be a repost :

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #1709
Grover
Pro Starter

How can anyone think jerseys with numbers like this are any good?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #1710
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Nike does, apparently. *sigh*
This is the most hideous Oranje shirt in my life time.
It's still Oranje, of course, but I'm almost hoping we can play in our 'away' colors all tournament...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #1711
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Nike does, apparently. *sigh*
This is the most hideous Oranje shirt in my life time.
It's still Oranje, of course, but I'm almost hoping we can play in our 'away' colors all tournament...

I MUCH prefer the 2010 Oranje kit I have hanging in the closet. I love the flag strip for the collar.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #1712
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Six Liverpool players in the England squad now. That bodes well.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #1713
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Now I just run into these by accident.

Championes!
Championes!
Ole ole ole!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #1714
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Sad story.

Manuel Preciado, coach of Villarreal, dies one day after taking job - ESPN
Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #1715
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Excited about the Euro Championship starting tomorrow. It's fun to be in England when the tourney is on...even though they'll probably be gone by the time I get there!

After England, would like to see the Dutch win. Them or the Germans. Anyone but Spain or Italy.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #1716
whomario
Pro Starter

Can´t wait myself, really looking forward to the tournament. While the World Cup obviously has other big teams like Brasil and Argentina, the density at the Euro is incredible with so few obvious "bad" teams (if any at all). The 2 with the least chances normally are the hosts now which allways counts for sth as well.

Besides the german team i´m rooting for sweden and maybe england a little bit.

as for the germans, there´s still a few spots up for grabs but most of the starting 11 is all set for now. Lahm will play on the left this tournament after Schmelzer fell apart once more in a friendly, the Coach has questioned Boateng and brought up alternatives there but i think he´ll get the nod on the right. Propable starting 11

Neuer
Boateng--Mertesacker(Hummels)--Badstuber--Lahm

------------Khedira-------Schweinsteiger

-Müller-------------Özil--------------Podolski

------------------Klose

Last edited by whomario : 06-08-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #1717
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Any interest in a fill in the sheet for Euro2012?
Attached Files
File Type: xls EURO2012.xls (72.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #1718
whomario
Pro Starter

Also am rooting for Poland as host (not the ucraine though, too much crap going on there and not a likeable team to me ...) and they get the perfect start, scoring an absolutely picture perfect goal, great cross, great run and perfect header all in fluid motion.
2 Dortmund players combining in Pisczek and Lewandowski

Also Greece now with 10 man, double yellow for Sokrates.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #1719
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Also am rooting for Poland as host (not the ucraine though, too much crap going on there and not a likeable team to me ...) and they get the perfect start, scoring an absolutely picture perfect goal, great cross, great run and perfect header all in fluid motion.
2 Dortmund players combining in Pisczek and Lewandowski

Also Greece now with 10 man, double yellow for Sokrates.

possibly two of the worst bookings i have ever seen...this referee is horrible and has no business officiating in this tournament
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #1720
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
possibly two of the worst bookings i have ever seen...this referee is horrible and has no business officiating in this tournament

agreed. In general i hate spanish referees in international competitions. Don´t ask me to rationalise it, but it allways seems like they are extremely quick with their whistles ...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #1721
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
WOW! Poland's keeper gets sent off for taking out the attacker after he couldn't get the chip in. The reserve goalie comes on and saves the PK!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #1722
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
WOW! Poland's keeper gets sent off for taking out the attacker after he couldn't get the chip in. The reserve goalie comes on and saves the PK!

yeah, that was pretty nuts
Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #1723
JPhillips
General Manager

Didn't think I'd say Greece should be disappointed in a draw.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #1724
whomario
Pro Starter

Poland seems to have run out of gas in the end, Greece figured out that all they need to do is overload their left side defensively (since 90% of all attacking potential for Poland is on their right) and once they found some confidence to keep posession a bit and have Poland chase the ball they looked pretty good.

There are too many guys in the Polish side that have no business playing at this level. Their left back plays in Germany and with injuries (but also due to not being terribly good) he managed 5 games and about 250 minutes of play with his club in the last 2 seasons.

Also, how the hell do you explain doing only 1 sub in a game like this ? (and that´s due to the keeper getting the red)
As a substitute i´d be pissed right now.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #1725
whomario
Pro Starter

now i´m hoping for part1 of a last hurrah from Rosicky, one of my favourite players ever.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #1726
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

Also, how the hell do you explain doing only 1 sub in a game like this ? (and that´s due to the keeper getting the red)
As a substitute i´d be pissed right now.

especially given that the greeks used 2 of theirs in the first half and there was alot of space on the field because of the cards...fresh legs in the last 15 minutes could have easily made a difference for Poland.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #1727
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
especially given that the greeks used 2 of theirs in the first half and there was alot of space on the field because of the cards...fresh legs in the last 15 minutes could have easily made a difference for Poland.

yeah, that´s what i am thinking here. Absolutely weird decicion by their coach.

TV here just showed pictures of the czech team arriving, due the short distance they simply took the (private) train from Prague, pretty relaxed way to get to your first game of a tournament

Cech is a machine in goal right now, one of those guys where you recognize how getting older made them more even-keeled and determined.

Last edited by whomario : 06-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #1728
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Czech defense sits there and watches the Russians score.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #1729
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

inch-perfect cross though, between this one and the Piszek one earlier that were 2 very pretty crosses allready (i´m a sucker for those )

I have had Dzagoev in a recent FM save game, saving his career and have him fullfill his potential there

I also can´t believe they don´t have any other option than Baros. Not only can you count his good games over the last couple years on one hand, he´s also absolutely not suited for the lone striker role unless you happen to go in front very quickly. Can´t hold up balls, can´t head, can´t pass very well.

2-0, getting 2008 flashbacks

Last edited by whomario : 06-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #1730
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
inch-perfect cross though, between this one and the Piszek one earlier that were 2 very pretty crosses allready (i´m a sucker for those )

Definitely. And the through ball that was just played on the counter was lovely as well. Completely shanked shot, but it was a pretty move.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #1731
whomario
Pro Starter

and now the 2:0. Sure a bit of luck in that Shirokov wasn´t the target, but to even try that pass to Kerzhakov you need to have confidence, Russia with great runs to open up space between the czech midfield and defense.

Memo to all teams : Do not go down 0:1 to the russians, those counter attacks are baaaad for you

Last edited by whomario : 06-08-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #1732
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the "Hot" Russians showed up today, as opposed to the "Cold" Russians.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #1733
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Should be 3-0....
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #1734
Critch
lolzcat

While not wishing to make light of racism or anything, this made me kind of laugh:

"Monkey chants have disrupted England's training session today in Krakow. John Terry has been warned if he does it again he'll be sent home."
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #1735
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
While not wishing to make light of racism or anything, this made me kind of laugh:

Speaking of...call me crazy, but I woulda thought Poland would be one of the last places where you'd see that kind of racist shit, given events from about 75 years ago.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #1736
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

horribly flat and slow across the back the entire half. Cech has had no help on either goal
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #1737
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Speaking of...call me crazy, but I woulda thought Poland would be one of the last places where you'd see that kind of racist shit, given events from about 75 years ago.
Same thing happened at the Oranje training. The team said they will not train in front of the Polish public anymore if they do it again.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #1738
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ukraine is even worse from what i´ve heard

And people are stupid that way.
The very same guys (i think at the Oranje practice it was a group of club fans from the area that were suppossed to be underr surveillance ...) doing this shit are aparently on record to want to beat up the german fans because of what happened in WW2. So there you go, logic averted ...
Things like this make me sick ...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #1739
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This is one thing I'm glad; in parts of Europe, this is still acceptable - in the US, the fans would be barred for life. I'm glad we don't have this degree of racism here.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #1740
whomario
Pro Starter

another great goal, this time on a killer through ball. tournament shaping up very nicely in that regard
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #1741
whomario
Pro Starter

2 goals within 3 minutes, 4:1 Russia.
Pavlyuchenko gets subbed in and then assists on the 3:1 and scores the 4:1.

Last edited by whomario : 06-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #1742
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Euros are kinda fun and all but the real story is that the third phase of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying begins tonight. USA will start off with a home game against the combined might of Antigua AND Barbuda.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #1743
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The Euros are kinda fun and all but the real story is that the third phase of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying begins tonight. USA will start off with a home game against the combined might of Antigua AND Barbuda.

Damn, i wish i had known that ! I totally would have gone to bed after work to be able to watch that game when it comes on
Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #1744
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Your sarcasm has wounded me.

With Johnson and Castillo injured, Jurgen Klinsmann told the press that "anyone can play left back." Tonight Torres will be at left back. It's not going to matter tonight but we'll see what happens on Tuesday if he's out there.

Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (capt.), Torres; Edu, Bradley, Jones; Donovan, Dempsey, Gomez

And in other news arguably more exciting than the Euros, New Zealand lost 2-0 to New Caledonia in the OFC Cup semifinals so either Tahiti or New Caledonia will be in Brazil for the 2013 Confederations Cup.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #1745
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hopefully the wet field doesn't lead to a messy result.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-08-2012 at 06:27 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #1746
kingfc22
Head Coach

Surprise. Surprise.

Gooch comes on and he instantly gets burnt for a goal.

Get this guy off the squad already!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #1747
RainMaker
General Manager

Ummmmm...this is going to be an interesting qualifying run.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #1748
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Turn on ESPN only to find Team Wheres Waldo dominating Cool Runnings.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #1749
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Surprise. Surprise.

Gooch comes on and he instantly gets burnt for a goal.

Get this guy off the squad already!

Yeah, I hope he isn't out there against Guatemala. He's just too slow these days.

And although maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to play Edu against Guatemala, there is no reason for him to be playing against weak teams like Antigua & Barbuda. Sure, he has some size and is pretty good defensively but against such teams we probably don't need three defensive minded midfielders. Edu is just not a good passer at all, he gives it away far too often.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #1750
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Ummmmm...this is going to be an interesting qualifying run.

We have to find two or three more real defenders. Our defense is beyond wretched.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote