Home

Effective 3-4 D?

This is a discussion on Effective 3-4 D? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Effective 3-4 D?

Has anyone able to utilize a 3-4 D effective in pass rushing, and getting lots of sacks from their LBs? If so how did you do it?

Derrick Thomas is hugely overrated in the game and bounces off QBs at times when I rush with him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Effective 3-4 D?

It really all comes down to sending more guys than the offense has blocking.

Unless the offense gives you opportunities then it will be more difficult than with a conventional 3 man rush.

I would try blitzes that send the outside linebackers inside and have the defensive end on that side flare outside on the rush. That way the defensive end picks up the tackle and the outside linebacker hits the guard at an angle or better yet hits a whole if the guard picks up the defensive end. Also if you toss in delayed blitzes from other players in the front 7 it can cause some havoc as well, opening up some sack lanes.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Effective 3-4 D?

You will need some quality DL or at least 1 good one to make the 3-4 work mainly because I feel the LBs aren't good at shedding blocks. But definitely load up on players with Pass Rush Bonus because even if it doesn't register sacks on the stat column, PRB will disrupt the offenses passing game through either errant passes, sacks, pressures, pass defenses (swats), etc. Dont' just look at the stat column, look at how your team is performing or how it is affecting the other team's offense.

It will also help if you can get at least one or two solid players in the secondary. For example, the Steelers use Troy Polumalu (= Gold FS/SS) to patrol the middle with Ike Taylor (= Silver CB) to handle the team's best WR. This gives you plenty of options to decide where to take chances and leave holes on your defense that your Pass Rush will hopefully minimize.

My best 3-4 build came from the following:
DT/DE Clyde Simmons (B)
OLB Derrick Thomas (G)
ILB Pepper Johnson (B)
OLB Carl Banks (B)
CB Lem Barney (S)
FS Ronnie Lott (G)

They played great in zone defenses with manual hot blitzes from the LB positions and give you enough flexibility to play man. It's also great to swap & flip them on the field (OLB Swap, DE Swap, etc) to keep your opponent on their toes in terms of playcalling and reading the field. The squad has a tougher time defending elite, stacked offenses, but will hang in there and make some opportunistic plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »