Home

Sunrise in San Diego- Executive Decisions

This is a discussion on Sunrise in San Diego- Executive Decisions within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #129
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: Sunrise in San Diego- Executive Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMilan99
This is another one of those deals where I think you're getting ripped haha.
Well, probably hahaha...

I figured that it was going to blow up in my face unless Rosenthal becomes elite. Robertson is still a very dangerous reliever and Celto is nothing more than a gimme....

I would've tried for Kolten Wong since he's blocked but, that would foil my best trade and I'm not about to do that!

So is it the right time to announce a PTBNL? hahaha.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #130
MVP

So, I suppose we might as well explore the final trade we've got for this deadline and boy oh boy is it a big one. We've never traded off a hitter of this caliber before so it should be interesting. We've traded away all the problems, all the quiters but still, one remains.

Matt Holliday...

Holliday was acquired by us in a mega deal just 2 offseasons ago. For a while, he seemed to be the answer to our offensive issues but this season, multiple elements led to his departure from a Padres uniform. He was a clubhouse cancer and was declining in production.

Now luckily for us, he was the best overall bat out on the trade market and that basically means that he's going to fetch us a nice ransom wherever he goes. He has plenty of suiters and it's only a matter of finding the right package for us.

Towards the end, we considered Boston, the Yankees, Oakland but none of them had the young, A ball talent that we were looking for. Then we found the perfect one. The Cleveland Indians. The Indians were one big piece away from getting back into contention and has the players that we wanted and needed to remain competitive.

So, George McGovern swallowed his pride and 6 million to send Matt Holliday to Cleveland.

We gave up a couple of arms to go with him but their stock had dropped so much that all they really had left was their potentials. The return we got seems like an overpay at first but in all actuality, it really isn't.

Francisco Lindor is arguably one of the best prospects in baseball and is Major League ready for most teams. But why isn't he wearing the navy and red? He isn't wearing it for two very good reasons, Asdrubal Cabrera and Jason Kipnis. He doesn't have the skills to play third and heck that's blocked too by that Chisenhall kid or whatever his name is there.

Lindor is the center piece of this deal and should be playing second base next season for us baring anything amazing happening.

Next up is Cody Allen. Allen is a great arm that profiles as a future closer. He has power stuff and may be a great answer for us in the closer roll if Luke Hochevar wants Heath Bell money. Nothing special here, just another power arm with solid potential.

Lastly, we've got Luigi Rodriguez, a good single A outfielder with a heck of a name who we'll monitor but will become trade bait. He's a toolsy outfielder and reminds me a lot of Lewis Brinson but the tools are a little furthur behind than his. Acquiring him shows that we're going to continue acquiring toolsy players and developing those tools in hopes of them becoming impact major leaguers.

Now going to Cleveland is Matt Holliday who has the potential to impact any team he joins.

Cody Hebner is an interesting arm who probably should be in the big leagues right now but he was blocked by all of our arms moving incredibly slow so it made sense for us to trade him. He's got the ceiling at #3 but we've got so many #1 ceiling pitchers that these types of players are expendable.

Tim Melville. He was the other power arm we acquired from the Royals with Chris Dwyer in the Cory Luebke deal. Melville was supposed to be the closer but that went to hell went he pitched like crap for 2 years straight. I like the tools he had but we just needed to part ways with him because it's clear he was never going to be an impact arm.

So folks, that concludes the deadline, we've weeded out the swagged out punks, fools and quitters and we're gearing up for another playoff run. We're fighting for that division title and we're two good weeks from being back in that race.

In the words of manager Bud Black:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Black
Well, we're in the dang race, might as well win it. I don't what else to say other than let's do work.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #131
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

Oh my god Francisco ****ing Lindor
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #132
MVP

Quote:
Oh my god Francisco ****ing Lindor
Dude, I never disappoint when it comes to trades and free agents.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #133
MVP

George McGovern, Theo Epstein, Damon Oppenheimer and a few of the scouts stood at the batting cage with a mob of reporters and watched Francisco Lindor hit. The kid was absolutely killing it. He was flashing decent power and great contact and earlier in the day had shown glimpses of being the Padres very own Manny Machado.

But something else was lingering over Lindor's head, something that he had no idea about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovern
Uh... Billy can you come over here.
Billy Gasparino was the Padres scouting director. He had been instrumental in building this farm system and finding prospects for the Padres to go after. Lately, he had made some boneheaded mistakes, well that is in George McGovern eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Yeah George?
Quote:
You like this Lindor kid?
Quote:
Yeah he's going to be the next great 2nd baseman. The kid can do it all.
Quote:
Good, because your career in baseball hinges on his success. Lately, we've been trading away good solid players for minor league talent the likes of our fanbase has never seen. Now you've done good for this organization but if your going to continue to remain a scouting director, you need to find impact talent. This kid better be an impact talent or your finished. Understood?
Quote:
Look, it would be helpful if you wouldn't splurge on free agents and block these kids.
Quote:
....What are you saying?
Quote:
I'm saying we release a certain cable if you don't promote Roy Hobbs to the big leagues. He'll turn this ship around. Guaranteed.
Quote:
Well, that's cute... but Lake's our guy. He's third in rookie of the year voting.
Billy walked away and went back to watching Lindor, he was going to take McGovern down one way or another, no matter what it takes.

Billy watched for a while longer and walked down into the dugout and got on his phone.

Quote:
Look, this better be worth it. I'm not about to throw this job away after all I've been through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
We must move quickly, McGovern may be on to us... Hopefully you'll prove to be a more formidable pawn than Bud Selig and the others...

Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #134
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Yeah he's going to be the next great 2nd baseman. The kid can do it all.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #135
MVP

Quote:
Ahhh!!! A Hogan's Heroes reference!!!

Now you can see why George McGovern wants to fire that dude.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #136
MVP

How, oh how, could I ever forget about the bombing that took place at PETCO earlier this season and how could I forget about the man that wanted to get rid of McGovern!

Boy we've got some good stuff on tap this season, stuff that I think everyone will enjoy.

Now our post-deadline roster looks interesting to say the least. Literally, it's all hands on deck as we try to ride into the postseason. We're going to be using just about everyone that can be spared from around the organization to try to push us into the postseason.

At this point, we're only 2 games above .500 and we have about 3-4 games before we get back into the race. Luckily from what we've been able to gather, the starting pitching is finally starting to put up the expected numbers. When we built this team, we built it around pitching and the idea that we would be able to pitch ourselves to the playoffs like the Braves or Rays. However as this franchise wore on, George McGovern went hogwild with the compensating and turned us into an offensive powerhouse.

Now back up to the deadline with me for a minute, if you'll recall, we acquired Francisco Lindor in that deal with the Indians and proclaimed him our next star... but honestly, the dude is no where close being ready for the big leagues.

Enter Cory Spangenberg. Spang was drafted 10th overall in the 2011 mlb draft. We viewed him as the second baseman of the future but after not hitting for the past few seasons, we began to have our doubts. This season, at age 23, he started in AA and rapidly rose through the system hitting close to .450 on his route through the minors.

But, there is something more symbolic about Spangenberg. This is McGovern's dude. This is the guy McGovern wants playing second base while the rest of the organization wanted Lindor playing. McGovern has been threatened to play Lindor but McGovern, calling their bluff, played Spang instead.

Spangenberg would have a great game going 4-4 and knocking in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. Spangenberg will likely finish out the season starting at second and we'll probably pit him against Lindor for the starting second base job with the loser headed back to AAA to boost their trade value for a later trade.

Last edited by royals19; 12-31-2012 at 07:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »