Home

Under The Bright Lights: A 2K17 MyLeague

This is a discussion on Under The Bright Lights: A 2K17 MyLeague within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2016, 12:30 AM   #17
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9
Season 1, Game 1 - at Cleveland (0-0)

ALL THE KING'S MEN
LeBron's near triple-double, Irving's 26 lead reigning champs to opening night way

Cleveland, OH -- Maybe having the New York Knicks watch a team receiving their championship rings and raising a banner will inspire them to be champions one again.

Cleveland was more than happy to provide lessons.

The Cavaliers (1-0) outscored New York 42-25 in the second quarter to take a lead that they never came close to relinquishing en route to a 123-106 victory of NBA's Opening Night.

"We got outplayed. It's as simple as that." said Carmelo Anthony. "They went on a run during the second and we never did enough to get back in the game. They showed us how a championship team plays. I hope we learned something."

While Anthony led all scorers with 32 points and New York had six players with double figures in scoring, it was the Knicks porous defense that led to their defeat. Cleveland was allowed to shoot 51% from the field, got off 108 shots, grabbed 13 offensive rebounds and turned the ball over just seven times. It's pretty hard to lose with that kind of output.

LeBron James was a rebound shy of his 43rd career triple-double, finishing with 18 points and 11 assists. An extra rebound would have given James his first triple-double in a season opener.

"It's business as usual." said James. "I love what we were able to accomplish last season but everyone knows that was last season. It was a little difficult to focus on the game at the beginning, with the moment with had, but we did a great job especially in the second quarter."

James actually dealt with foul trouble, picking up his third foul with nine minutes left in the second quarter. Forced to leave the floor, it was Kyrie Irving who kept Cleveland in stride.

Whether being guarded by Courtney Lee or Derrick Rose, Irving showed off his ball handling prowess to the tune of 10 of his 26 points being scored in the second quarter. Cleveland would enter the quarter down by two and head into halftime up 15.

Lee and Rose, both new additions to the Knicks, split time guarding Irving with Lee taking the brunt of the match-up. Offensively, neither player had the debut they were hoping for with their new team. Lee scored just five points and Rose shot 4-of-11 from the field.

The basketball game wasn't the only big show in town, as the Cleveland Indians hosted Game 1 of the World Series against the Chicago Cubs on the same time right across the street at Progressive Field.

New York (0-1), who missed the playoffs in each of the last three seasons, hope than new acquisitions like Lee, Rose, and Joakim Noah will elevate the recent woes the team has found itself in.

"We know we need to get better, and we will." said Anthony. "We've got a lot of new guys and of course they've got to find their space with the team so we can all work as one cohesive unit. We're going to be a better team because we all know there's no other option."

In their first game under head coach Jeff Hornacek, the Knicks opened the game with a 9-3 run but were never able to keep Cleveland away as the Cavs immediately responded with a 8-0 run of their own before exchanging the lead back and forth throughout the first.

Last edited by Knickerbocker91; 04-17-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #18
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Season 1, Game 1 - at Cleveland (0-0)

Not inspiring numbers from Rose or Lee, but I'll give them a pass for now. Really liked what the bench brought, though, good numbers there.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #19
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Under The Bright Lights: A 2K17 MyLeague

Porzingis gotta put up more then 8 shots.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #20
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Not inspiring numbers from Rose or Lee, but I'll give them a pass for now. Really liked what the bench brought, though, good numbers there.
Rose's numbers are going to come along as I learn the dribble moves, at least I feel like that's the case. I really don't them that well so it's hard for me to separate him from his defender. As for Lee, I could have done a better job at involving him. I think I went in the game expecting to kick out to him for spot up 3s and that never really happened. I'm liking the bench effort but I am worried because I don't really know how to use anyone besides Jennings and O'Quinn. Thomas isn't really a shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman14
Porzingis gotta put up more then 8 shots.
Yeah, I need to get Porzingis involved more. I still play with Melo as my first option and Rose as my second, so I didn't look to Porzingis that much. I'm still trigger shy with him too, he had some looks with a little space that I wasn't sure if he would make.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #21
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

Season 1, Game 2 - vs Memphis (1-0)

MARC'D FOR DEATH
The younger Gasol brother dominates the Knicks with 33 points l Rose, O'Quinn, both head to bench with injuries

October 29, 2016

New York, NY -- It’s no secret that Derrick Rose has had an injury riddled career in Chicago. New York hoped that the Rose they acquired this offseason would show flashes of his MVP season in 2011 and less what came after.

Unfortunately, the latter reared its ugly head. Rose would leave the game in the middle of the fourth quarter with what is only being currently disclosed as a “lower body injury” in New York’s 117-108 loss to Memphis.

“It felt like I pulled something, but nothing crazy.” Said Rose. “I know I can’t have any setbacks, so I understand coming off the court to not make anything worse.”

Before Rose left, he showed the same flash and fire during his heyday with the Bulls, scoring 9 of his 17 points in the second quarter. Rose added nine assists and shot 5-of-10 from the floor.

New York (0-2) had more trouble defensively, as Marc Gasol destroyed everyone in his way to tune of 33 points and 9 rebounds. Gasol shot 13-of-21 from the field, and whether the Knicks guarded him with Joakim Noah, Kyle O’Quinn, or Kristaps Porzingins, the result was mostly the same.

“I just went out there and tried to get into a rhythm.” said Gasol. “I didn’t worry about the hand in my face or who was in front of me, just went out there and tried to get as many good looks as I could. My teammates did a great job and helping me find open shots and we took it from there.”

The shots weren’t always falling for Memphis (2-0), as they opened the game down 13-4 before ending the first quarter on a 16-4 run to tie things at 24.

Memphis pulled away in the third quarter, opening the second half with back to back three from Troy Daniels and Mike Conley Jr. to spark a 10-2 run. A pair of free throws from Rose would bring the Knicks within three, the closest they would get in the second half as they only made three field goals in the last six and a half minutes of the third quarter.

“We shot poorly but we had some good looks.” said Carmelo Anthony, who led the Knicks with 28 points. “We wasn’t getting back on defense though, that’s what killed us. It comes down to communication, and we’ve got to play smarter. We should have let them pull away from us like they did.”

Anthony, while averaging 30 points a game through two contests, hasn’t shot very well with just a 39% field goal percentage so far this season. He is also shooting a paltry 33% from beyond the arc.

In addition to Rose having to leave the game, Kyle O’Quinn left late in the second quarter after reaching for his right ankle and hobbling toward the bench. He seemed to come down awkwardly after attempting to block a shot attempt from Zach Randolph. His departure left the Knicks a little short in the front court, having to play Anthony and Lance Thomas at the power forward spot on occasion.

O’Quinn had four points and four rebounds in six minutes of action.

"We didn't execute defensively." said Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek. "Having Kyle and Derrick have to leave the court only bolstered the fact we needed to step up defensively and we didn't do it. You can't give them easy shots and expect to stay in the game."

NOTES…Porzingis record his first double double of the season with 15 points and 10 rebounds, including a powerful dunk over Jamychal Green in the third quarter…Courtney Lee had a strong showing in front of the home crowd, scoring 19 points off 7-of-11 shooting…Lee made his first five shots…Randolph continues to come off the bench as the Grizzlies’ sixth man, and finished with 17 points and 9 rebounds…Green starts in place of Randolph and recorded a double double of his own…Chandler Parsons is still day-to-day as he recovers from surgery on his right knee.

Last edited by Knickerbocker91; 04-17-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #22
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

ROSE, ONLY TO FALL
Rose out 6-8 weeks with right ankle injury l O'Quinn day-to-day with left knee injury

October 30, 2016

New York, NY -- It wasn't even two full games in a Knicks jersey before fans of the Chicago Bulls looked to the Empire State with expressions of "I told you so."

In last night's 117-108 loss to Memphis, Derrick Rose came down awkwardly in the fourth quarter after attempting to get around Marc Gasol for a layup. While Rose never crumpled to the floor, he winced and hobbled his way to the sidelines.

While doctors originally diagnosed things as a "lower body injury", a MRI today revealed Rose has a high right ankle sprain and will sit out for 6-8 weeks to recover.

"It sucks." said Rose. "I'm sure everyone else is pissed, but not more than me. I'm not wallowing though, I'm gonna bust my tail getting back to a level where I can help contribute to this team."

Rose has averaged 15 points and 7.5 assists in two games for New York. He hasn't played more than 66 games in a season since 2010-11, having appeared in just 166 of a possible 328 regular season games in the four seasons following.

"Our course we're disappointed to find out he'll be out." said Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek. "But no one is holding it against him. No one is blaming a guy for getting hurt. It's an unfortunate side effect of the game, injuries happen. We just want him to get healthy and don't want to make things worse. His health comes first."

Rose and the Knicks were scheduled to play in Chicago in less than a week, a return that will have to wait until the chance the Knicks and Bulls meet in the playoffs. The two teams meet three times this seasons with the other two games at Madison Square Garden.

Joining Rose on New York's injury list is center Kyle O'Quinn, who left in the second quarter against Memphis. O'Quinn is listed as day-to-day with a bruised left knee and is questionable to play November 1st against Detroit.

"It's a back to back in Detroit and then back home in Houston." said Hornacek. "We'll see how he is the day of but as of right now, I'd like to give him some rest and have him healthy."

New York has been in preliminary talks with point guards Shane Larkin and Jordan Farmar, as Rose's injury leaves Brandon Jennings as the only point guard on the roster. Larkin played with the Knicks for 76 games in the 2014-15 season, while Farmar played just 12 games last year as a member of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
YaBoyRobRoy

LopaKa's Arena

OVR: 7

Love the start to this bro, tough to lose Rose so early on but as bad as it sounds it's almost expected lol. Good luck with the Knicks bro. Feed Porzingis!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #24
MVP

Daonlyjmo7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopaKa
Love the start to this bro, tough to lose Rose so early on but as bad as it sounds it's almost expected lol. Good luck with the Knicks bro. Feed Porzingis!
Agreed, format is awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »