Home

Manny Pacquiao vs Money Mayweather

This is a discussion on Manny Pacquiao vs Money Mayweather within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: If the fight happens how will it end?
Mayweather by decision 118 48.36%
Pacquiao by decision 49 20.08%
Mayweather by knockout 27 11.07%
Pacquiao by knockout 47 19.26%
It will be a draw! 3 1.23%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #545
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Money Mayweather

LOL halarious!!..First it was the drug testing.then it was the date..now it's the split..ridiculous..this essentially will end any thoughts of this fight as Pac will never agree to a lower than 50/50 split (wich he shouldn't in my opinion)...This whole fiasco put's a black eye on boxing..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #546
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
LOL halarious!!..First it was the drug testing.then it was the date..now it's the split..ridiculous..this essentially will end any thoughts of this fight as Pac will never agree to a lower than 50/50 split (wich he shouldn't in my opinion)...This whole fiasco put's a black eye on boxing..
Agreed. But it's going to put a much bigger black eye on Floyd's record.
No matter if he retires with a goosegg, he will forever be dogged with being a coward for not fighting Pac.
I hate Arum, and I think Pac needs to stand up for what he wants more, but in the end, Floyd has made numerous demands, Pac continues to agree to all of them, only to have Mayweather dream up something else to kill the fight.

Even the biggest Floyd fan can't spin this any other way. This is fight is probably the quintessential example of when a fight is absolutely deserving of a 50/50 split.
Floyd has no ground to stand on. He's proven again he wants no part of Pacquiao.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #547
MVP

edaddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
No matter if he retires with a goosegg, he will forever be dogged with being a coward for not fighting Pac.
I hate Arum, and I think Pac needs to stand up for what he wants more, but in the end, Floyd has made numerous demands, Pac continues to agree to all of them, only to have Mayweather dream up something else to kill the fight.

Even the biggest Floyd fan can't spin this any other way. This is fight is probably the quintessential example of when a fight is absolutely deserving of a 50/50 split.
Floyd has no ground to stand on. He's proven again he wants no part of Pacquiao.
I have to agree with you 100% man. Especially with the fact that Pac has essentially agreeed to all of Floyds demands..I remember the big hurdle according to Floyd was the drug testing but since the lawsuit and the fact that Pac has come out in public as agreeing to any drug tests Floyd has quietly put that to rest..Now it's the money wich is puzzling since both have a huge fanbase and both are pay-per-view draws..I don't get it but that's boxing these days..
Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #548
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

I'm not a Floyd fan but I can see an argument he can make about why he he shouldnt split it 50/50. Floyd is the biggest draw in boxing. The numbers show that. He did 1.25 with Ortiz (a fighter that most casual fans have never heard of). 2.4 with Oscar. With the exception of the 3rd Marquez fight, Floyd has outdrawn Manny in every comparable fight.

Hatton:

Vs. Floyd - 920k
Vs. Manny -850k

Oscar:
Vs. Floyd - 2.4m
Vs. Manny -1.25m

Mosley:
Vs. Floyd - 1.4m
Vs. Manny -1.3m

Those numbers show that Floyd does deserve a higher percentage. Now does he deserve 60/40? Hell no, he doesnt even deserve 55/45. But 52/48 or 51/49? Yes and the numbers support that.

Its all ego right now but it doesnt mean that Floyd doesnt have a point.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #549
MVP

edaddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'm not a Floyd fan but I can see an argument he can make about why he he shouldnt split it 50/50. Floyd is the biggest draw in boxing. The numbers show that. He did 1.25 with Ortiz (a fighter that most casual fans have never heard of). 2.4 with Oscar. With the exception of the 3rd Marquez fight, Floyd has outdrawn Manny in every comparable fight.

Hatton:

Vs. Floyd - 920k
Vs. Manny -850k

Oscar:
Vs. Floyd - 2.4m
Vs. Manny -1.25m

Mosley:
Vs. Floyd - 1.4m
Vs. Manny -1.3m

Those numbers show that Floyd does deserve a higher percentage. Now does he deserve 60/40? Hell no, he doesnt even deserve 55/45. But 52/48 or 51/49? Yes and the numbers support that.

Its all ego right now but it doesnt mean that Floyd doesnt have a point.
While I don't disagree with those numbers I think we have to look at what point in time did each fighter fight these opponents?..When Floyd fought all three they were hot hot opponents coming off wins wich would increase interest in the bouts..By the time they fought Manny they all had lost to Floyd in dominating fashion with the exception of DeLaHoya. This would certainly diminish the interest in those bouts leading to less viewership than when they fought Floyd. Even with that, those numbers don't guarantee or demand that Floyd get a bigger percentage in fact I would say that Manny still got all those pay-per view buys DESPITE the fact that each fighter had previously lost to Floyd. fact is both are champions and both are pay-per-view stars both should be making an equal amount with a rematch clause in wich the winner of the first bout gets a higher percentage the second bout!!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #550
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
While I don't disagree with those numbers I think we have to look at what point in time did each fighter fight these opponents?..When Floyd fought all three they were hot hot opponents coming off wins wich would increase interest in the bouts..By the time they fought Manny they all had lost to Floyd in dominating fashion with the exception of DeLaHoya. This would certainly diminish the interest in those bouts leading to less viewership than when they fought Floyd. Even with that, those numbers don't guarantee or demand that Floyd get a bigger percentage in fact I would say that Manny still got all those pay-per view buys DESPITE the fact that each fighter had previously lost to Floyd. fact is both are champions and both are pay-per-view stars both should be making an equal amount with a rematch clause in wich the winner of the first bout gets a higher percentage the second bout!!
I dont buy that. Cotto's last huge PPV fight was against Pac and he got destroyed (most casual fans didnt watch the last Margarito fight) and I promise you that Floyd will do over 1.25 this May. If you are a big draw, you draw no matter who is across from you. Its what Tyson did. Its what Oscar did. Its what Floyd does.

What sucks is its only going to get worse. Floyd is going to do 1.25 or more against Cotto. Pac will be lucky to see the numbers he got against Clottey (700k) against Bradley. What leverage will Pac have to argue that he should get 50/50 when he cant carry a PPV?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #551
MVP

edaddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I dont buy that. Cotto's last huge PPV fight was against Pac and he got destroyed (most casual fans didnt watch the last Margarito fight) and I promise you that Floyd will do over 1.25 this May. If you are a big draw, you draw no matter who is across from you. Its what Tyson did. Its what Oscar did. Its what Floyd does.

What sucks is its only going to get worse. Floyd is going to do 1.25 or more against Cotto. Pac will be lucky to see the numbers he got against Clottey (700k) against Bradley. What leverage will Pac have to argue that he should get 50/50 when he cant carry a PPV?
What I am not getting is how pac isn't a pay per view draw?.. OK by your logic Floyd will bring in over 1.25 against Cotto which is a number that Pac already accomplished against Cotto..How does that make Floyd a better draw?..Secondly if you want to go strictly by numbers Floyd brought in 1.05 against Marquez whereas Pac brought in 1.4..so does that mean Pac is the bigger draw?..No it doesnt IMO..The point is selling a fight and having good numbers are about when the fights take place and the circumstances around each fight...I have no doubt Floyd will bring in numbers against Cotto but it's likely because the fight will take place at a higher weight which adds intrigue to the bout..(If this fight took place at 147 I don't see it surpassing 1.25 by the way)Maruqez and pac had a history of close great fights which added intrigue to the bout and enabled him to outsell Floyd against marquez...Both are great fighters and both should be putting everything on the line..both should be paid equally..Question if you think pac will only bring in aboout 700k for the Bradley fight how much do you think Floyd wouldve pulled in?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #552
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
What I am not getting is how pac isn't a pay per view draw?.. OK by your logic Floyd will bring in over 1.25 against Cotto which is a number that Pac already accomplished against Cotto..How does that make Floyd a better draw?..Secondly if you want to go strictly by numbers Floyd brought in 1.05 against Marquez whereas Pac brought in 1.4..so does that mean Pac is the bigger draw?..No it doesnt IMO..The point is selling a fight and having good numbers are about when the fights take place and the circumstances around each fight...I have no doubt Floyd will bring in numbers against Cotto but it's likely because the fight will take place at a higher weight which adds intrigue to the bout..(If this fight took place at 147 I don't see it surpassing 1.25 by the way)Maruqez and pac had a history of close great fights which added intrigue to the bout and enabled him to outsell Floyd against marquez...Both are great fighters and both should be putting everything on the line..both should be paid equally..Question if you think pac will only bring in aboout 700k for the Bradley fight how much do you think Floyd wouldve pulled in?
You cant have your cake and eat it too. You cant argue that Manny's numbers were held down by Floyd beating 3 of his opponents previously and then say then discredit Floyd for having lower numbers against two people that Manny beat.

My argument is that when these fights happened have very little bearing on the PPV draws. I'm saying 1.25 against Cotto as the bare minimum that Floyd's fight will do based on Cotto's previous numbers and what he did with Ortiz. I honestly think Floyd will do over 1.5 or better against Cotto because Cotto is a bigger name and has a PR contingent following him.

Its unfair to compare the third fight against Marquez to a first fight against Floyd. The trilogy fight already had a built in audience who watched the two guys fight two wars. Floyd's fight was seen as a mismatch because JMM was jumping 2 weight classes to fight him. Even with that he still did over 1 million buys. Also you cant ignore the fact that in 3 of the 4 times they have fought similar fighters, Floyd's numbers were higher.

If Floyd fought Bradley he would bring in 900k-1.1 million. Since the Oscar fight he hasnt done a PPV south of 900k. Again, I'm not saying that Manny isnt a draw at all. I'm arguing that Floyd is a bigger draw. If Floyd is a bigger draw, he deserves more money. 51-49 is completely fair.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »