Home

Manny Pacquiao vs Money Mayweather

This is a discussion on Manny Pacquiao vs Money Mayweather within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: If the fight happens how will it end?
Mayweather by decision 118 48.36%
Pacquiao by decision 49 20.08%
Mayweather by knockout 27 11.07%
Pacquiao by knockout 47 19.26%
It will be a draw! 3 1.23%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #561
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Money Mayweather

I guess this is the thread to post this in.

Quote:
Mayweather Finally Admits Cowardice: Health Concerns Are Why He Ducked Pacquiao

March 4th, 2012

Now the truth has finally been confirmed by Floyd Mayweather himself: He’s afraid of getting pounded on like a punching bag by Manny Pacquiao.

Mayweather admitted this to Bob Costas in an NBC show interview about why he doesn’t want to fight Pacquiao. “I am in the game to win, not just inside the ring, but outside the ring,” stated Mayweather. “My health is more important than anything.”

Costas then countered with, “Are you implying there is something to fear in Manny Pacquiao?”

Floyd: “I don’t fear no one. If you’re insinuating that I’m a scared fighter, why would you want to watch a scared fighter?”

Earlier in the interview, Mayweather mentioned Muhammad Ali’s health. “With or without Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather is okay. Floyd Mayweather fights for Floyd Mayweather. At the end of the day, Floyd Mayweather has to be happy and comfortable…Look at the Ali situation. Fans pushed him to get into fights at the end of his career that he didn’t want to get in…If Ali could trade it all in for his health, he would.”

(Note: Let me correct Floyd. Ali was not forced by fans to get in the ring with Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ken Norton, Larry Holmes or Trevor Berbick. Money, pride and a fearless belief in his skills were the motivation for Ali to take those fights.)

Floyd also said: “One shot can end your whole career. Boxing is a very deadly sport.”

Costas said Floyd has to fight Pacquiao, to see who is the best, to give the fans what they want and to pump up the sport with a much-needed big, exciting, Super Bowl event: “I come first. Self preservation. I gotta worry about my family. If the fight don’t happen, so be it.”

There you go: “Self preservation.” So the reasons Mayweather gave us for two years of ducking and dodging Pacquiao – drug tests, fake retirements, Manny has to leave Arum and be his own boss, no 50-50 split, he doesn’t need Manny, it’s all Bob Arum’s fault, etc. – were indeed mere smokescreens, bluffs and lies. Cleverly but dishonestly used to cover up the real secret truth – Mayweather fears for his health because he knows Pacquiao would simply beat the hell out of him.

Mayweather knows his skills that pay the bills wouldn’t work against Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather does not have the confidence that his all-time great defensive skills will be able to control and subdue Pacquiao and maintain his unbeaten record and his good health, against the relentless assaults that Manny Pacquiao would unleash on him.

Read the entire article here...

http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns...cked-pacquiao/

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #562
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

I'll believe that once I see a video of him saying that.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #563
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
I'll believe that once I see a video of him saying that.
Here is the video that the article is referring to, take what you will from the interview. The article interprets many things, but he never once says he's "scared" in the interview obviously. It is a pretty good interview, compelling almost.

Kinda long but worth watching.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #564
Rookie

OVR: 2

No, Floyd wants the bigger split plain & simple, there's nothing more to read into that article or interview.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #565
Pro

Control-X's Arena

OVR: 15

In order to maintain his self-preservation, I just told Floyd to retire for good. Leave boxing to the real warriors.

Dr. J
1976_Bird 1986_Magic 1987_Chuck 1993_Pip 1994_MJ 1996_GP 1996_Shaq 2000_AI 2001_Kobe 2006

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #566
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

I like Floyd alot man. He is smart and in control of his own career more than any boxer I've seen in it's history. I think that does put him in a bargaining position that guys like Arum aren't used to dealing with. With that said, his demands are flat out rediculous! Give Manny a flat $40 million and he keeps all the PPV cash? Also how can he "not afford" to do an even split? Is he serious? He said nothing in that Costas interview to gain sympathy(Don't care about fans or sport, Can't afford to split $100+ Million evenly,etc). He firmly established himself as a businessman 1st who simply fights as his trade and not a fighter who wants to prove his dominance and get paid in the process(De La Hoya, Leonard, Hagler,Hopkins,etc). I don't know where he was going with his Ali take..Ali wanted no one to doubt his greatness or dominance that is why he took those fights not because the fans forced him into them-LOL. Most of the people close to Ali wanted him to stop taking on those fights but Ali's ego was too great. Ali got taken advantage of financially by people in the business and didn't handle his money right(Never heard of this happening in boxing :0.). This ain't happening to Floyd and I commend him for his efforts to not fall victim to those things like many boxers have in the past.

Despite all that, this fight should have been done already....
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 03-08-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #567
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I like Floyd alot man. He is smart and in control of his own career more than any boxer I've seen in it's history. I think that does put him in a bargaining position that guys like Arum aren't used to dealing with. With that said, his demands are flat out rediculous! Give Manny a flat $40 million and he keeps all the PPV cash? Also how can he "not afford" to do an even split? Is he serious? He said nothing in that Costas interview to gain sympathy(Don't care about fans or sport, Can't afford to split $100+ Million evenly,etc). He firmly established himself as a businessman 1st who simply fights as his trade and not a fighter who wants to prove his dominance and get paid in the process(De La Hoya, Leonard, Hagler,Hopkins,etc). I don't know where he was going with his Ali take..Ali wanted no one to doubt his greatness or dominance that is why he took those fights not because the fans forced him into them-LOL. Most of the people close to Ali wanted him to stop taking on those fights but Ali's ego was too great. Ali got taken advantage of financially by people in the business and didn't handle his money right(Never heard of this happening in boxing :0.). This ain't happening to Floyd and I commend him for his efforts to not fall victim to those things like many boxers have in the past.

Despite all that, this fight should have been done already....
I thought Floyd's offer was ridiculous as well but now that the IRS is after Pacquiao, on top of That Bob Arum, his adviser & Golden Boy are all taking about 50% of Pacquiao's share, Floyd's deal isn't so bad after all. Pacquiao should just negotiate to get the ppv revenue that his country generates like Ricky Hatton did. Ricky ended up making more than Floyd overall due to the UK buys.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #568
Rookie

ThuggyD55's Arena

OVR: 0

Even De La Hoya knows the truth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TatOz...eature=related

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »