Home

Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto

This is a discussion on Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
The only thing that intrigues me about this fight is the weight limit.
But even then, I don't see Mayweather losing more than a round or two.
I love everything about Cotto; his heart, personality, skills, etc.
But he's a different fighter since Margarito cheated and gave him his first L.

Mayweather's a very smart cookie. He's not going to risk that rich Pac fight against an opponent that would worry him.
He hand-picked Cotto for a reason.

BTW, how transparent is it that this fight, with an Arum fighter, was made so easily while splitting an atom seems easier than getting Pac and Floyd in a ring together.
Guaranteed some backdoor dealings occured. Arum tosses Floyd a big name that will surely attract a huge fan base on the Mexican holiday, but won't give him much trouble.
In return, Arum gets to build his dumb stadium and pump up Pac-Mayweather even more.

I'm starting to grow tired of boxing. It's exhausting defending this sport.
I don't think there were any backdoor dealings between Mayweather & Arum. If Bob Arum is tossing Cotto to Floyd, why is he putting the "November fight" in jeopardy by tossing Pacquiao to Bradley? People are going to be surprised June 9th.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control-X
If not Pac, the world of boxing wants him to face Sergio Martinez, who has long been calling him out, but he picked up Cotto instead.
Mayweather tried to. Martinez turned it down because he has obligations to a fight, and doesn't have enough time to make weight. http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlin...r-in-november/ Also your boy pac ducked him, first said he would fight him at 150, then when martinez agreed changed it to 147. Which martinez can't do.
http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/11/2...atthew-macklin

See what i mean here? People like you seem to suffer from extreme confirmation bias because you just go around saying stuff to discredit floyd without knowing details or facts. If you were actually unbiased you would of already known why mayweather can't fight martinez in may.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto:
43 - 0

Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao:
42 - 1

Floyd knows how to choose wisely. Smart move in picking Cotto for a fight, a non-threatening opponent. LMAO
LOL no, styles make fights and from a style matchup mayweeather is a nightmare for pac. marquez exposed his weakness to counter punchers 3 times, mayweather will do it worse. Watch this video to see what i mean, you might learn something.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drkEX...&feature=inbox Notice that pac rarely fights counter punchers and tends to fight more aggressive style fighters that suit his style? I mean it's your opinion and you're of course entitled to it, but it means very little when you don't back it up in any kind of logical way. Saying childish things like "LOL mayweather fights easy fighters pac will win!" doesn't really hold much value lol.

Also i seem to remember people wanting floyd to fight cotto and saying floyd was ducking cotto. But, it was due to arum. Notice how when cotto left arum the fight was easily made?

Also someone who wants mayweather to lose as much as you do would be smart to root for martinez. He's a much tougher challenge for mayweather than pac, styles make fights. I think floyd would win that but it wouldn't be easy.

Last edited by GHOSTFACE03; 02-03-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 12

Easy work for FM. Cotto will be game, but he's not polished enough of a fighter to get to FM.

As for the Manny v Floyd debate consider it even Steven now. Floyd at one time was probably ducking Manny for whatever reasons. I think not fear but because the money wasn't right. And now Manny is ducking for whatever reason. Fear of the counter puncher or a lack of true control of his career under Arum? Who knows? Who cares at this point? You'll never get the full story from them and you for damn sure aint gonna get the full story from blogs and fan forums.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
If not Pac, the world of boxing wants him to face Sergio Martinez, who has long been calling him out, but he picked up Cotto instead.

Floyd always wanted to be the sport's modern bad boy, the master trash-talker in boxing (ala the present-day Muhammad Ali). But unlike the great Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather was never loved by many for very obvious reasons.
Since the Martinez issue was already correctly handled in this forum I'll address the Ali issue. Ali wasn't a favorite or revered athlete for a number of years. As time passed, his appeal has reached a mythical status. Revisionist history at its finest really. Also, a majority of his antics would have made him a hated figure had he done those in this era.

Also, we are all aware that Floyd has already fought (and won a title) at 154 right?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #38
Pro

Control-X's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTFACE03
LOL no, styles make fights and from a style matchup mayweeather is a nightmare for pac. marquez exposed his weakness to counter punchers 3 times, mayweather will do it worse. Watch this video to see what i mean, you might learn something.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drkEX...&feature=inbox Notice that pac rarely fights counter punchers and tends to fight more aggressive style fighters that suit his style? I mean it's your opinion and you're of course entitled to it, but it means very little when you don't back it up in any kind of logical way. Saying childish things like "LOL mayweather fights easy fighters pac will win!" doesn't really hold much value lol.

Also i seem to remember people wanting floyd to fight cotto and saying floyd was ducking cotto. But, it was due to arum. Notice how when cotto left arum the fight was easily made?

Also someone who wants mayweather to lose as much as you do would be smart to root for martinez. He's a much tougher challenge for mayweather than pac, styles make fights. I think floyd would win that but it wouldn't be easy.
He he. Provided links are useless for I already knew about the Martinez-Mayweather story. I just pointed out Floyd did not pick him and rather choose Miguel Cotto. What's wrong with that? And I am not one of those who want to just see Mayweather lose. I am neither a Pac fan or a PBF fan like you think I am. I'm just a plain boxing fan who prefers to see a fighter walk the talk. If he won't fight just shut up. I idolize no one except myself, for your information. I can say fukc Pac-Man and fukc Floyd or fukc whoever that boxer is if he ain't making good in his career as a sportsman. I only want to see a spectacular fight between two considerably great p4p boxers of today's era and that's of course Pacquiao and Mayweather. But it appears the fight ain't happening anymore anytime. Thanks to The Coward Floyd and his perfect ducking techniques. Floyd is to be blamed in this case and not that stupid little midget Pacquiao. Floyd only needs to agree to a 50-50 split and the super mega fight would've been done on May 5, 2012! THAT'S ALL HE NEEDS TO DO BEING HE'S HIS OWN BOSS SO HE CAN WHIP PAC's *** IN THERE OR VICE VERSA! Cant wait to see this fight happen already as early as it can be for this goddamn pugs that are nearing the dead end of their peak as they both are getting older every second every day! May 5 Cotto-Mayweather is yet another wasted fight as well as the Bradley-Pacquiao scheduled fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marq
Since the Martinez issue was already correctly handled in this forum I'll address the Ali issue. Ali wasn't a favorite or revered athlete for a number of years. As time passed, his appeal has reached a mythical status. Revisionist history at its finest really. Also, a majority of his antics would have made him a hated figure had he done those in this era.
Don't think so. What Ali says he does, and he fights with no ridiculous excuses unlike Floyd.

Dr. J
1976_Bird 1986_Magic 1987_Chuck 1993_Pip 1994_MJ 1996_GP 1996_Shaq 2000_AI 2001_Kobe 2006

Old 02-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto:
43 - 0

Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao:
42 - 1

Floyd knows how to choose wisely. Smart move in picking Cotto for a fight, a non-threatening opponent. LMAO
of course you know pac n floyd, they haven't fought yet but you got it 42-1 for floyd. his first loss lol. c'mon man.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #40
Pro

Control-X's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Man
of course you know pac n floyd, they haven't fought yet but you got it 42-1 for floyd. his first loss lol. c'mon man.
A scary first loss. Yes indeed. Like what the Ghostface03 says, "Styles make fights" but the thing is he got the wrong interpretation of it, man. It doesn't mean if Boxer A can beat Boxer B, he easily beats Boxer C. Consider this as an example:

Big George Foreman can easily handle Joe Frazier (R.I.P.)
George Foreman can't handle Muhammad Ali well and got beaten.

Smokin' Joe Frazier took Muhammad Ali to Hell.
However little Joe had found it very hard doing it with Big George.

Muhammad Ali had hard times handling Smokin' Joe,
But outclassed Big George who had smoked down little Smokin' Joe.

Marquez gave Pac nightmares but if you immediately think Floyd can defeat Pac so easily just because he embarrassed the pee-drinking Marquez when they fought before, you're mistaken.
Pac's crazy style is perfectly in contrast to Floyd's boxing style. Offense vs Defense.

Dr. J
1976_Bird 1986_Magic 1987_Chuck 1993_Pip 1994_MJ 1996_GP 1996_Shaq 2000_AI 2001_Kobe 2006

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »