Home

Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto

This is a discussion on Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
The Official Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto Thread

Its official May 5.

They will be fighting for Cotto's Jr Middleweight belt @ 154.

Thoughts?
Quote:

Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Floyd Mayweather has deal to fight Cotto

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

During his licensing hearing in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday in Las Vegas, welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. told the panel under questioning that he had a deal in place to face junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto on May 5 at the MGM Grand.

Mayweather was ordered to appear before the commission for a hearing so the commissioners could ask him questions about the criminal case he recently made a plea deal in.

The commissioners are expected to vote on his license application at the hearing.

Mayweather faces an 87-day jail sentence at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas after a plea deal on domestic violence charges related to a September 2010 incident with his ex-girlfriend, who is also the mother of three of his children.

Mayweather was supposed to begin his sentence on Jan. 6, but the judge in the case, Justice of the Peace Judge Melissa Saragosa, deferred his report date to June 1 after his attorney, Richard Wright, successfully argued that he should be allowed to fight on May 5 in order to honor an existing deal with the MGM Grand and because a Mayweather fight would inject $100 million into the ailing Las Vegas economy.

The deal between Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) and Cotto does not come as surprise. With a much-anticipated fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao off the table at least until the fall, Mayweather-Cotto is widely considered the next biggest fight he could take. Junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez was also considered a leading candidate to face Mayweather.

Mayweather-Cotto also means that Pacquiao, who intends to fight June 9, will not be facing Cotto in a rematch. Pacquiao-Cotto II was one of the potential fights Pacquiao and his promoter, Bob Arum, had discussed. The leading candidate to face Pacquiao in June is junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr.

Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) had been promoted by Top Rank for his entire career but his contract recently expired. If the fight with Mayweather goes through it will be the first fight of his career without Top Rank's involvement.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter.

Last edited by ColdBloodedAssassin; 02-01-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto

fight is a few years too late, hope we see Cotto at his best to make it competitive but I got Mayweather by a rout.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

Do Not Want. Especially since this essentially means Pac v. Bradley. Said it before, I'll say it again: if they aren't fighting eachother, I'm not paying.

Quote:
FloydMayweatherFloyd Mayweather

I'm fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5th because Miss Pac Man is ducking me.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I will continue my boycott of both Mayweather and Pacquaio.
The only fighter I'm interested in seeing Money fight is either Pac or S-Mart.
Everyone else is a joke.

Same with Pac. The only other non-Mayweather I'd like to see him go is Khan.

Other than that, I'm not wasting my money on what will be a 12 round shutout.

And really, I'm not even interested in watching May and Pac go at it. They're both past their primes and I'm sick of waiting on either guy.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

I'll buy this fight but I wont buy the Pac/Bradley fight. I think Cotto will provide a challenge and im interested to see how Floyd does at 154.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'll buy this fight but I wont buy the Pac/Bradley fight. I think Cotto will provide a challenge and im interested to see how Floyd does at 154.
Curious to see how this card shapes up it could be a great one..with GBP @ that helm
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Well, we did see it in the PBF v. ODLH fight. Floyd came in at 147 though. I don't see him any heavier than 150 for this fight.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Banned

Canelo is fighting on this card!e

I like the potential for this card.. Im guessing shane.. Can shane take a trip to OZ and get his courage back.....if this is the case

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »