Home

Boxing videogame campaign, do you want another boxing game?

This is a discussion on Boxing videogame campaign, do you want another boxing game? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Boxing videogame campaign, do you want another boxing game?

I haven't played Fight Night and ages and I think I'm about to buy it again. I'm really itching for a boxing game and I need something right now. Does anyone still play it and have their been any patches to improve the gameplay? It's been so long that I don't really even remember what I didn't like about it. I know it wasn't really a great simulation, but hopefully it can give me some sort of fix.

As much as I love MMA, I also really hope that somebody eventually decides to step back into the boxing arena. A boxing game with NBA 2K authenticity would be amazing. If a company can deliver an outstanding product the sales will come. They need to stay away from the gimmicks and give us an accurate representation of what we see in the ring. I just don't believe that there's no market for a boxing game to be successful. Someone just needs to have the proper vision, drive and financial backing to actually make it happen. I doubt we'll see another boxing title this generation though.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I haven't played Fight Night and ages and I think I'm about to buy it again. I'm really itching for a boxing game and I need something right now. Does anyone still play it and have their been any patches to improve the gameplay? It's been so long that I don't really even remember what I didn't like about it. I know it wasn't really a great simulation, but hopefully it can give me some sort of fix.

As much as I love MMA, I also really hope that somebody eventually decides to step back into the boxing arena. A boxing game with NBA 2K authenticity would be amazing. If a company can deliver an outstanding product the sales will come. They need to stay away from the gimmicks and give us an accurate representation of what we see in the ring. I just don't believe that there's no market for a boxing game to be successful. Someone just needs to have the proper vision, drive and financial backing to actually make it happen. I doubt we'll see another boxing title this generation though.
I can't play the game. My expectations were/is to high for a boxing game.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
According EA first MMA game and THQ's last UFC game MMA isn't selling the way it should. If MMA was what everyone is saying sales will show this with the logic people are using.

It boils down to how deep and realistic a game is. It's not the popularity. If popularity of a sport dictates sells EA's NBA LIVE would have been on shelves right now selling well. NBA 2K sells huge numbers because it's the closest you can get to a sports game out there.
UFC 3 has actually sold well. Nobody should EVER expect any UFC game to sell as well as the first 1 did. It was the perfect storm: 1) First good UFC game ever and 2) Came out during the height of the UFC's popularity when Brock, Chuck, Silva and GSP were all extremely active.

It has EVERYTHING to do with a sports popularity. You talk to the average 16 yr old (right in a fighting game core demo) and they can maybe name 3-5 boxers (Floyd, Pac and maybe Cotto). Some may know the K Brothers. Some may know Marquez. But the majority of current boxers are unknown to the average teenager. That means that a 1/3 of the roster has unknown boxers that most casual fans dont care about.

Then you have the old-school fighters who that same 16 yr old has never or rarely seen fight. Take Mike Tyson. His last win was 2003. That 16 yr old was 6 at that time. His period of dominance was before that kid was even born. They know Mike more as the guy from the Hangover than a dominant HW champion. And thats a guy who fought in the '00.

If a sport is popular and the game is average (NBA Live isnt even average right now) the game will sell. The problem is Boxing isnt popular outside of its two superstars and only one of them is in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles

I actually play FNC regularly. I'm strictly offline and have set up a offline league just like I do with UFC. With slider tweaks and some roster edits, the game is solid. I would prefer more realism like more diverse AI strategies and added clinching but I accept it for what it is.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I actually play FNC regularly. I'm strictly offline and have set up a offline league just like I do with UFC. With slider tweaks and some roster edits, the game is solid. I would prefer more realism like more diverse AI strategies and added clinching but I accept it for what it is.
I think you've got the right idea about accepting the it for what it is. I downloaded it from XBL today and have spent about an hour and half with the game. I was immediately reminded of things that I disliked about it, but overall I enjoyed myself and had a few decent matches. The one with my CAF Mayweather versus Pacman was especially good. I landed for 41% of my punches and Manny landed 37% in a 10 round draw. Hopefully I can get a slider set to get me competitive fights like that on a regular basis.

I did an offline league similar to you in UFC Undisputed and think I'll do the same with this to add some life to the game. I found the career modes in both games to be kind of stale after a while (although UFC's was a step in the right direction) and it seemed more interesting just setting up my own little fighting universe. I do hope we get another boxing title from someone one of these days though. At least this is still something to play in the meantime.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 11-13-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
I can't play the game. My expectations were/is to high for a boxing game.
I can understand having passion for something and wanting to see it done right. What do you consider the best boxing video game ever made up to this point?

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 11-13-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Was that other dude supposed to be Da Czar?

Edit: It is! lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
UFC 3 has actually sold well. Nobody should EVER expect any UFC game to sell as well as the first 1 did. It was the perfect storm: 1) First good UFC game ever and 2) Came out during the height of the UFC's popularity when Brock, Chuck, Silva and GSP were all extremely active.

It has EVERYTHING to do with a sports popularity. You talk to the average 16 yr old (right in a fighting game core demo) and they can maybe name 3-5 boxers (Floyd, Pac and maybe Cotto). Some may know the K Brothers. Some may know Marquez. But the majority of current boxers are unknown to the average teenager. That means that a 1/3 of the roster has unknown boxers that most casual fans dont care about.

Then you have the old-school fighters who that same 16 yr old has never or rarely seen fight. Take Mike Tyson. His last win was 2003. That 16 yr old was 6 at that time. His period of dominance was before that kid was even born. They know Mike more as the guy from the Hangover than a dominant HW champion. And thats a guy who fought in the '00.

If a sport is popular and the game is average (NBA Live isnt even average right now) the game will sell. The problem is Boxing isnt popular outside of its two superstars and only one of them is in the game.
I disagree with your post. I have seen people become fans of a sports game by the depth and realism it shows. A sports game has to have bios and personality. I hate hockey and soccer in real life, but I would play a hockey and soccer game because it has depth.

Heck, I hate tennis and golf, but the detail to the sport draws me into trying out the games. The Fight Night series isn't true to the sport. On every website I have been on gaming and sports, the fans are not satisfied.

Many of the pass fans just aren't interested in Fight Night and it's unwillingness to take the sim/realism route. What age would you say are the NBA 2k and Madden fans? You giving the producers excuses. Why are the fans on these various sites I mentioned early walking away from the series? If you don't believe me I can copy and past back and forth conversations from the sites.
I have talked to boxers and trainers. Some known and some up and coming. They say the Fight Night series is doing the sport an injustice. I stopped watching wrestling many many years ago, you can guess why I like the Smackdown/WWE series. They capture the sport.

Oh, and your 16 year old comment is wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. The sports game market is young adults and adults. My nephews and son love realism and want to know more about a sport. Guess what got them interested in basketball....

I wasn't interested in MMA outside of Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva, Rampage, and a few others fighters, but the interest was heighten with THQ's UFC games. It gave me a good experience and I couldn't wait for more. So, the fights on TV did nothing for me , but the game itself was worthy of my attention.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »