Home

Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

This is a discussion on Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #73
General of The RSG Nation

Real Talk's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

I am definitely looking forward to this fight without a doubt. I've been a Floyd Fan his whole career because I'm from Michigan and you grow up in Detroit rooting for The Hitman, Lights Out, and The Pretty Boy aka Money May. I know he will win but I feel like he took this fight now which was supposed to be the 3rd or 4th fight in his showtime deal so he could be him before Canelo reaches his potential. Not saying he is scared just think he is smart but it could also be the fact Showtime lost money on the last fight so who knows

Follow us on Twitter
https://twitter.com/TheRSG24
Old 06-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #74
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Still can't get over the superlatives that Harold Lederman was laying on Alvarez before the Trout fight. I mean you talk about kissing up. Alvarez hasn't earned that sort of talk...........yet.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Talk
I am definitely looking forward to this fight without a doubt. I've been a Floyd Fan his whole career because I'm from Michigan and you grow up in Detroit rooting for The Hitman, Lights Out, and The Pretty Boy aka Money May. I know he will win but I feel like he took this fight now which was supposed to be the 3rd or 4th fight in his showtime deal so he could be him before Canelo reaches his potential. Not saying he is scared just think he is smart but it could also be the fact Showtime lost money on the last fight so who knows
Yeah, I heard they lost $12 million. That's not great business.

The other rumor going is that ShoTime pressured Floyd to fight Alvarez because of the dismal Guerrero fight losses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #76
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Still can't get over the superlatives that Harold Lederman was laying on Alvarez before the Trout fight. I mean you talk about kissing up. Alvarez hasn't earned that sort of talk...........yet.
Agree, although Lampley might be worse...other than Kellerman, the main HBO crew is almost insufferable (although better now sans Larry Merchant).

Interesting to hear Showtime lost money from the last fight. After Alvarez, how many more blockbuster fights can Floyd make? Still 4 more fights on that ShoBox deal if I recall...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Interesting to hear Showtime lost money from the last fight. After Alvarez, how many more blockbuster fights can Floyd make? Still 4 more fights on that ShoBox deal if I recall...
Matthysse is the only junior welterweight I'd be interested in. Even if Rios beats a "possibly" declining PacMan, I wouldn't waste my time watching Floyd chew him up.

A rehash with Marquez? Bradley?

Showtime might continue to lose money on this deal.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #78
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Canelo rematch, Matthyse, Khan and Pac fight after he gets out of his Top Rank deal at the end of 2013.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Yeah, I heard they lost $12 million. That's not great business.

The other rumor going is that ShoTime pressured Floyd to fight Alvarez because of the dismal Guerrero fight losses.
According to ESPN, the Guerrero fight sold 1 million PPV buys, whereas the Cotto fight sold 1.5 million. Name recognition means a lot. Makes a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight more likely if they both win their next fights.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #80
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Alvarez is naturally bigger and stronger than those guys. Floyd may very well win but you can't just discount Alvarez because Floyd fought some lighter guys who had a little "zest" on their punches.

I think Floyd wins, but he will be in a fight-for more than 4 rounds.
Alvarez has a record padded with individuals i couldnt pick out of a line up with name tags on... I say that to say that he isnt seasoned enough, or really proven in my eyes.

But in regards to his power, judging from his Mosley and Trout fights, hes not the boogie man that some fans would like to make him out to be. He couldnt drop a 'S2S' Mosley and after Trout got caught, he went on the win the round.

Canelo is for sure the bigger man however, not sure thats advantage however considering the stamina issues that seem to creep in to his fights.

If Floyd gives him some of that Robert G. 8th round body work earlier, u could see a stoppage.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 07-03-2013 at 03:40 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »