Home

Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

This is a discussion on Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #105
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
now that would be an interesting strategy.....focusing on the body instead of the head. it could slow floyd down a bit, maybe enough for canelo to have a shot. if i remember right, cotto got in quite a few body shots in their fight. maybe one of the reasons floyd never wanted a rematch.
It couldn't hurt. Floyd's defense is so great though. I'm hoping we have a great fight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #106
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
It couldn't hurt. Floyd's defense is so great though. I'm hoping we have a great fight.
that it is...but if canelo targets the body, it might be easier. it also could open up some clean shots to the head later in the fight if floyd has to worry about protecting his body.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #107
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
now that would be an interesting strategy.....focusing on the body instead of the head. it could slow floyd down a bit, maybe enough for canelo to have a shot. if i remember right, cotto got in quite a few body shots in their fight. maybe one of the reasons floyd never wanted a rematch.
I remember Teddy Atlas saying that was the way to go. Maybe Canelo can pull it off? I'm worried about his conditioning though. He ran out of gas too often against Trout.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #108
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerFan56
I remember Teddy Atlas saying that was the way to go. Maybe Canelo can pull it off? I'm worried about his conditioning though. He ran out of gas too often against Trout.
Yeah, he did take a lot of breaks didn't he?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #109
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

All Access Mayweather vs Canelo, Episode 1, premieres tomorrow (Saturday) night at 10/9 central on ShoTime.

A sample video:

Sounds like the narrator for the HBO Legendary Nights series.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #110
Rookie

Can't wait for this fight.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #111
MVP

Quote:
There was no need for a rematch, it wasn't nearly as close as some fans hyped it up to be. Cotto got shut out and almost knocked out in the last round, no need for a rematch. He also actually didn't land very many body shots clean honestly, i was surprised he didn't try to go to the body more. He landed a decent amount of jabs though. I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea for canelo to focus on the body though, try and wear floyd down. That's not a bad strategy, problem is that going to the body usually leads to floyd countering up top, which is why it makes it hard for a lot of fighters to do.

Either way, i'm hyped for this fight, and the undercard too, that's a stacked card. I got Floyd dominating this though, he's gonna school canelo and look to make a statement. As for Garcia vs Matthyse, that's a tough one. I like Garcia and i want him to win. But he does leave himself open to shots, and Matthyse obviously has power. But Garcia has a pretty iron chin. . .damn this is gonna be a good card. Oh yeah, winner of Garcia Matthyse should fight broner, if he beats maidana, which i think he will. Then the winner of that should fight floyd.

Oh and on the whole weight thing, i think a lot of people don't understand. Floyd has constantly fought guys that outweigh him by a good amount, and he's fought guys that outweighed him by like 16 pounds or more(Ortiz had a huge weight advantage, Baldomire had a huge weight advantage). It's nothing new to him.

Last edited by SPRINGS03; 08-27-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #112
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Oh yeah, winner of Garcia Matthyse should fight broner, if he beats maidana, which i think he will. Then the winner of that should fight floyd.
Broner needs to stay away from Matthyse, at least in the near future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »