Home

Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

This is a discussion on Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #113
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Broner needs to stay away from Matthyse, at least in the near future.
Broner said he wanted to fight marquez. I honestly think if he wants to fight top tier fighters like that, he has to prove himself. I wanna see what he's made of, matthyse is the perfect test. I like broner, but i wanna see how he handles a tough opponent like matthyse or garcia.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #114
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Broner said he wanted to fight marquez. I honestly think if he wants to fight top tier fighters like that, he has to prove himself. I wanna see what he's made of, matthyse is the perfect test. I like broner, but i wanna see how he handles a tough opponent like matthyse or garcia.
Matthyse is much more than a test for Broner.

Broner could beat Maidana, even though Matthyse is on record as saying he won't....not that that means a lot.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #115
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Broner will never fight Marquez. Broner is a Haymon/GB fighter and Marquez is a Top Rank fighter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #116
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Broner will never fight Marquez. Broner is a Haymon/GB fighter and Marquez is a Top Rank fighter.
Never say never, but you're basically right. I forgot to get my promoter scorecard out.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #117
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Never say never, but you're basically right. I forgot to get my promoter scorecard out.
Yeah, isn't it sad that you have to keep that in mind?

Anyway, I agree that the undercard for this fight is going to be very interesting. Matthyse is fighting with a lot of confidence right now, and must feel like he can knock out anyone at this point. Garcia has a ton of craft and a real good chin (as others have mentioned). I still like Matthyse just because of the potential for a one-punch KO, but it should be dynamite.

As for the main card, I want to say I think Canelo can do it, but on the other hand, other than the knock-down, I think the Trout fight was relatively even....I don't want to get into fighter X had trouble with fighter Y, who is a lesser version of fighter Z, etc....but it's hard not to make those comparisons sometimes. If Floyd is smart and doesn't try to do too much to entertain the crowd, I think his skill and class easily out-point Canelo. If he gets over-aggressive or out of character, I think Canelo's power gets to him. I will take the boring route and say Mayweather in a decision (and not a particularly close one).
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #118
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
By the way, is there anyone in boxing (other than God) that gets publicly thanked by fighters in post-bout interviews more than Al Haymon? How did this guy get so ingrained with so many high profile fighters?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #119
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Anyway, I agree that the undercard for this fight is going to be very interesting. Matthyse is fighting with a lot of confidence right now, and must feel like he can knock out anyone at this point. Garcia has a ton of craft and a real good chin (as others have mentioned). I still like Matthyse just because of the potential for a one-punch KO, but it should be dynamite.
I see a good, maybe great fight, but not necessarily a long one. I don't think Garcia can hang.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #120
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

It will be a good sports day. The Alabama-Texas A&M game precedes the big fight(s) at 2:30 PM CST.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »