Home

Attention Indie Game Developers: The Sport Of Boxing Could Be Your Golden Ticket

This is a discussion on Attention Indie Game Developers: The Sport Of Boxing Could Be Your Golden Ticket within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Attention Indie Game Developers: The Sport Of Boxing Could Be Your Golden Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This is the point ive been trying to make to SHAKYR for a while now. People look at the game sales and say "Fight Night sales dwarf UFC sales...so that means EA should create a new boxing game." Its not that simple.

The UFC license is easy. They get access to 500 fighters, the UFC trademarks, the UFC promotional partners, the UFCs uniforms...all for one price. They dont have to negotiate with Conor or Ronda or Jones individually. They come with the license.

Boxing is completely different. To get a solid roster you would have to negotiate with Arum, Haymon, Oscar and maybe smaller promoters like Duva, Sauerland and others. That takes alot of money and resources.

The fact is simple. EA likes profit. I'm not talking about revenue....I'm talking about profit. If Fight Night was more profitable, EA would announce it tomorrow.
Y'all keep talking like I'm an outsider and child. I have been communicating with the producers of the Fight Night games off and on. They never gave me an indication that Fight Night was to much for their budget. They actually wanted to do another Fight Night and never said but our budget can't afford it.
The producers actually thought after the last UFC game they made they were going to start on Fight Night but the CEOs may Dana White a promise they were going to make the UFC game as big of a seller as the Knockout Kings and Fight Night series.
I'm not just a fan talking just to talk. I have contacted alot of boxers in the past who wanted to be and were in a Fight Night game. I was an EA Senior Moderator on their EA Fight Night Forums, I was a decorated amateur who sparred contenders and champs. I have a Boxing Videogame Wishlist podcast. I have a very popular podcast I co host. I have interviewed boxers and trainers....oh and I'm a 47 year old trainer.

*EA UFC game as a whole hasn't sold more than the worst Knockout Kings or Fight Night game.
...and about data I game the EA producers access to my data with sign information. They always request data or information from me dealing with the Fight Night Community.

Last edited by SHAKYR; 07-27-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:31 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Attention Indie Game Developers: The Sport Of Boxing Could Be Your Golden Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
Y'all keep talking like I'm an outsider and child.
I certainly know better. You have been up front and have had a lot of feedback with the FN producers for some time now.

I must be in the minority, but I would like somebody to make the game using fictitious boxers first and see what flows from that if there is a follow-up. The burden of the licensing of boxers, the cost involved, and the time spent creating a real fighter versus a generic one should be tabled for another day. Of course, the game would have to be great or near great to have a chance at success. None of the FN games fall into that category (IMO).

All that said, it's an uphill battle but I wish someone would give it a shot.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I certainly know better. You have been up front and have had a lot of feedback with the FN producers for some time now.

I must be in the minority, but I would like somebody to make the game using fictitious boxers first and see what flows from that if there is a follow-up. The burden of the licensing of boxers, the cost involved, and the time spent creating a real fighter versus a generic one should be tabled for another day. Of course, the game would have to be great or near great to have a chance at success. None of the FN games fall into that category (IMO).

I have been saying this too. Right about now fans will buy a game with fake boxers. Heck, they picked up Fight Night with a fake boxer on the cover! Most games sell to casual fans based on the cover and that said alot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
Y'all keep talking like I'm an outsider and child. I have been communicating with the producers of the Fight Night games off and on. They never gave me an indication that Fight Night was to much for their budget. They actually wanted to do another Fight Night and never said but our budget can't afford it.
The producers actually thought after the last UFC game they made they were going to start on Fight Night but the CEOs may Dana White a promise they were going to make the UFC game as big of a seller as the Knockout Kings and Fight Night series.
I'm not just a fan talking just to talk. I have contacted alot of boxers in the past who wanted to be and were in a Fight Night game. I was an EA Senior Moderator on their EA Fight Night Forums, I was a decorated amateur who sparred contenders and champs. I have a Boxing Videogame Wishlist podcast. I have a very popular podcast I co host. I have interviewed boxers and trainers....oh and I'm a 47 year old trainer.

*EA UFC game as a whole hasn't sold more than the worst Knockout Kings or Fight Night game.
...and about data I game the EA producers access to my data with sign information. They always request data or information from me dealing with the Fight Night Community.
No one is talking to you like you are an "outsider or a child". My issue with your analysis is 1) its based on convos you've had with FNC devs from years ago and 2) its based on online polls which arent exactly a reliable indication of the demand for a game.

I've talked to those same devs over the last 2 years while working with them on UFC 2 and 3. Every time I've seen them I've talked to them about Fight Night. Every single time. There are members of the UFC Gamechangers team that were big Fight Night players and want the game back as bad as anyone.

The devs have said that they would love to work on Fight Night again but its not their call. I havent talked to a single dev that mentioned that Fight Night was next after UFC 1 or 2. In fact, theyve immediately jumped into production of the next UFC game after each one was released. That "Dana White" line is almost laughable because he really doesnt have any other options. No other game developer is dying to create a UFC game. If anything I doubt Dana actively cares about the game.

You are also arguing points NO ONE made. No one ever said that the Fight Night is "too much for their budget" or their "budget cant afford it". What I've been saying is that Fight Night wasnt likely as profitable as you think.

According to VG Chartz (which isnt the most reliable source for sales because it doesnt include digital sales but all that we have to go on). FNC sold around 2 million copies. UFC 2 sold around 1.6 million. Now 400k is a sizable difference. The problem with the direct comparison is that there were almost 100 million PS3s and 360s sold at the time FNC was released. To compare, there were 50-60 million X1s and PS4s sold at the time UFC 2 was released. So when UFC 2 was released there were 40-50 million less potential sales than when FNC was released.

Finally it goes back to profit. It likely costs less to produce a UFC game simply because of the licenses so that 400k difference in sales is less significant. Thats my point.

No one doubts your credentials as a boxing fan and participant. I'm just saying that some of the info you base your position on is shaky, incorrect and old.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74

You are in the minority and EA isnt the company thats likely going to take on a fictitious boxing game.

College Football is more popular than Boxing. EA's NCAA games outsold Fight Night by millions. EA no longer owns the NCAA license and for 4 years has had the option to do what they did back in the day with Bill Walsh College Football and use ficticious schools and names. While that game wouldnt sell as much as NCAA did, the hunger for a college football game amongst the sports community would result in decent sales.

EA wont release that kind of game.

They considered it 4 years ago and decided that they didnt want to move forward without the licenses. So I doubt EA would want to do a similar thing for a game that most people demand have real boxers. Names matter. EA came out with an MMA game that was probably better than the UFC game at the time and it sold horribly because it didnt have famous fighters.

With that said, I would love to see a boxing game of any kind released.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Definitely.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
All Star

OVR: 20

SHAKYR:

Much respect for your amateur career and FN developer connections.

What reasons do your FN connections give for the death, or at least stalling, of the series?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
SHAKYR:

Much respect for your amateur career and FN developer connections.

What reasons do your FN connections give for the death, or at least stalling, of the series?
It goes back to the bean pushers as they say or CEOs.

Quote:
You are in the minority and EA isnt the company thats likely going to take on a fictitious boxing game.

College Football is more popular than Boxing. EA's NCAA games outsold Fight Night by millions. EA no longer owns the NCAA license and for 4 years has had the option to do what they did back in the day with Bill Walsh College Football and use ficticious schools and names. While that game wouldnt sell as much as NCAA did, the hunger for a college football game amongst the sports community would result in decent sales.

EA wont release that kind of game.

They considered it 4 years ago and decided that they didnt want to move forward without the licenses. So I doubt EA would want to do a similar thing for a game that most people demand have real boxers. Names matter. EA came out with an MMA game that was probably better than the UFC game at the time and it sold horribly because it didnt have famous fighters.

I have conversate with the producers recently and all our conversations weren't based on Fight Night. We have talked about other things....but they stay cheerleading my efforts.
One conversation we had a few months ago and one producer acted like he wasn't sure which project they were going to work on next. They were hoping it was Fight Night.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »