Home

Soaring High- The Coaching Career of Garrett Hawke

This is a discussion on Soaring High- The Coaching Career of Garrett Hawke within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Soaring High- The Coaching Career of Garrett Hawke

CATCHING UP WITH HAWKE
A SIT DOWN WITH SEATTLE HEAD COACH ANSWERS FAN QUESTIONS

SEATTLE, WA: With the NFL Draft over, many fans were left speculating on the direction the team was taking. New head coach Garrett Hawke surprised many with his decision to draft USC Offensive Tackle Sam Baker with the 25th pick of the draft, especially considering Tight Ends Martellus Bennett and John Carlson were still on the board.

Q: With tight end considered one of this teams' biggest needs, why did you take an offensive lineman with your first round pick?
GH: We went into the draft process knowing we wanted a tightend, and that didn't waver. However, at the combine, we saw Louisville tightend Gary Barnidge and Kentucky tightend Jacob Tamme grade out at the same level as Carlson and Bennett, so we knew we didn't have to take one there. Our many targets in the first round were Virginia Tech offensive lineman Duane Brown and Virginia lineman Branden Albert. However, we couldn't get a trade in place to move up for either of them. Baker was third on our big board, someone we knew had the skill and size to play guard for our team, so we pulled the trigger on him.

But what about tightend? Surely Carlson or Bennett would have been a better pick at that spot, and not as much as a reach.
GH: The coaching staff and I talked it over, and we came to the conclusion that Baker was a first-round talent, while Carlson and Bennett were early to mid second-round talents, so they would have been more of a reach.

Well, what about in the second round? Bennett was still available with the 55 pick, so why didn't you take him there?
GH: This one was more difficult. While Bennett would have been a good pick, I felt Barnidge and Tamme were better fits for our system. Add in the fact that we only had two running backs on the roster, taking Rice out of Rutgers was a no-brainer. He's a strong, physical back despite his size, and will bring heart to this team.

You've been praising Tamme and Barnidge this whole time. What's so special about them?
GH: We saw something that others apparently didn't. Both grade out as solid catchers in the passing game and are contributors in the running game. Either one could be the starter, so you can expect to see quite a few two tightend sets.

Why were you so inactive in free agency? Many people expected you to go after Crumpler or Smith at tight end, but you didn't sign anyone.
GH: We looked at both of those tight ends, and even sent over a contract offer to both of them. However, their asking price was more than we were willing to pay, so we were unable to come to a deal.

With the preseason right around the corner, what do you expect from your team?
GH: I want to see them learn the playbook, and see how the young guys play. Everyone is fighting for a spot on this roster; nothing is given to anyone.

We will catch up with Hawke and the rest of the Seahawks after the preseason as we give a preview of the upcoming season once the final rosters are set.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamhat1915
Of course, it's all up to you. But if we look at teams that have not been done, or very rarely done, we have (and correct me if I'm wrong):
Denver
San Diego
Indianapolis
Dallas
New York Giants
New England
St. Louis
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
True, Rams might be fun, I'd have to do some thinking about them -not a Bulger fan, but he's a $$$ piece to move. The Giants are an easy set up, story-wise... Indy/Dallas/NE are too elite... all these teams are dead set at QB... except Denver...

Right now I'm leaning towards Rams, followed by Giants/Broncos... I'll see if I can't decide in the next little while... might be too hard to get rid of the QBs on any other team... maybe the Saints... lol
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #19
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

I really like Barnidge by the way, great pick. Didn't see the Browns in that list, haven't seen that one done either. Maybe Pitts and I cut Ben Rapelisthberger.... THAT would be challenging!!! LOL!!!

How do you feel about the made up rookies the GM puts on your team at the start of preseason? I usually cut 'em all just because I'd hate to keep some guy who ends up with a 90 ovr but I got for nothing... seems cheap... unless they're really unique. Once I got a 6'8" receiver who was 19. Kept the guy, and he only ended up being a 77 pot in my system, and in any phil he was never better than a 79 pot so I didn't feel cheap about it. LOL!!

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 01-08-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #20
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

I remember seeing at least on here done with the Browns, which is why I didn't bring them up. But I also saw a couple others, probably on other sites, with them. But very few, if any, with the other teams I mentioned. But, like I said, I look forward to whichever team you go with.

I really like the Barnidge pick as well. Haven't done much in the preseason yet, but he's been solid, if unspectacular. I've been making sure I keep an eye on where he is on every play, same as Tamme, to see who will win the starting job. It's harder than I thought to make sure to keep an eye solely on those players.

I don't mind the players brought in by the GM. They are usually cut, like you said, but it all depends on how they play. I make sure they get some playing time so I can see them. Again, I'm treating it like a real coach would: I can't see their potential. If their ratings are decent, and they perform well, they get to keep their job, for at least this year. Now, if I re-sign them or not is a different story. Right now, Gilbert Watkins is giving Charlie Frye a fight for the third-string quarterback spot, but Frye might keep it simply because he's a veteran.

I'm going to split the preseason into either one or two updates and announce the depth chart within the next couple of days. Right now I am having fun with my Falcons franchise, despite my disappointing loss the other day to Green Bay (yes, shameless plug xD), and have yet to finish the preseason.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #21
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Were you playing any preseason games? (what about reg season?) Gonna start a Rams up shortly - researching players, coaches, etc. Good luck!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

I'm actually playing the preseason right now. In the third game, so the update should be sometime soon. I've been preoccupied with NHL 14 lately, and haven't gotten around to it. Until now, that is
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #23
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

Game One: @ Minnesota L 21-13
Not a lot of good in this game. The rookies showed flashes, but we struggled mightily in all aspects of the game. Jason Elam made us look good for signing him, kicking two 50+ field goals.

Game Two: vs Chicago L 13-6
Chicago's defense was too much for us. Wallace was given the start, and went 5-8 for 49 yards. Free Agent rookie Gilbert Watkins was 4-7 for 54 yards, but nothing else. Charlie Frye played the entire second half and did absolutely nothing, going 4-16 for 31 yards and two interceptions. Desaun Foster is showing some good stuff, running for 26 yards on 5 carries. British Walls was given the start, and did well at corner. He will get another look next week

Game Three: @ San Diego L 20-17 (OT)
The Chargers defense gave up nothing on the ground, and the 'Hawks lost their third straight preseason game. Rookie free agent quarterback Gilbert Watkins was knocked out of the game early, which effectively ends his tryout with the team. Elam affirmed his status as an elite kicker, nailing a 59-yard field goal. British Walls played well again, and seems a lock to make the roster.

Game Four: vs Oakland W 24-0
Seattle stepped up their game against a weak Raiders team and showed their dominance, despite throwing two interceptions. Hasselbeck, prepping for the season, goes 21 of 24 for 226 yards and two touchdowns. Jamaal Buckingham showed he wanted to stay on the team (and will thanks to a broken jaw Foster suffered that will keep him sidelined for 7-12 weeks) with 42 yards on 9 carries. British Walls, told before the game he was making the team, celebrated with a pick-six and Jason Elam nailed a 43-yard field goal.

Rookie tight end Jacob Tamme, who was the favorite to win the starting job, went down in the game against Oakland with a torn ACL and placed on IR. Sean Ryan was picked up to back-up Barnidge. The team also picked up defensive back Brandon Merriweather to solidify the safety and corner position

Preseason Promise: owner Allen Paul expects the team to finish below .500
Out of respect for the level of talent on this team, Garrett Hawke tells him he expects the team to finish above .500
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

Seattle Seahawks Depth Chart - 2008
Regular Offense
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
WRDeion BranchCourtney TaylorBen Obomanu
TEGary Barnidge (R)Sean RyanWill Heller
LTWalter JonesRay Willis
LGMike WahleRob Sims
CChris SpencerJason Whittle
RGSam Baker (R)Chris Gray
RTSean LocklearTerrance Pennington
WRBobby EngramNate Burleson
QBMatt HasselbeckSeneca WallaceCharlie Frye
FBCarl Stewart (R)
HBMaurice MorrisRay Rice (R)Desean FosterJamaal Buckingham
Base 4-3 Defense
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LDEElvis DumervilJason BabinBaraka Atkins
LDTBrandon MebaneNick Hayden (R)
RDTMarcus TubbsRocky Bernard
RDEPatrick KerneyDarryl TappJason Babin
WLBLeroy HillJoey LaRocqueIan Gold
MLBLofa TatupuJai Dillon (R)Vince Hall (R)
SLBJulian PetersonIan GoldJoey LaRocque
CBMarcus TrufantBritish WallsTyvon Branch
SSDeon GrantGerald Sensabaugh
FSBrian RussellBrandon Meriweather
CBKelly JenningsJordan BabineauxBrandon Meriweather
Special Teams
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
KJason Elam
PRyan Plackemeier
PRNate BurlesonCarl Stewart
KRNate BurlesonCarl Stewart
LSChris Spencer

Season Goals:
-Crush the Rams in Week 3
-Win 3 out of first 4 games
-Re-sign Bobby Engram
-Re-sign Marcus Trufant
-Have an approval of 90+ at end of season

And, thanks to Adam Schefter, I now know that I am on the Zazzali draft path. This is one I haven't really used before, so I'm looking forward to it

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »