Home

The Detroit Lions

This is a discussion on The Detroit Lions within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6
The Detroit Lions

The Detroit Lions

(an HC09 Dynasty)

th.jpg

Recent decades haven't been kind to the Lions of Detroit... in fact, they've been more like the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz instead of the King of the Beasts. Decades removed from their last championship, a never-ending rotation of coaches, top draft picks, and Hall of Famers have been unable to bring home another Championship to Detroit.

In fact, the last time the Lions were champions was 1957. They celebrated the 50th anniversary of their 4th NFL title last season, but that was really all there was to celebrate.
The team, led by Rod Marinelli, went 7-9; an improvement from their 3-13 2006 season, but one that was still full of disappoinment.

They started the season 6-2, before a complete collapse that cost Coach Marinelli his job. This was the second season in a row where the team lost 7 out of the last 8 games of the season. They also set league marks in futility - including allowing the most pass completions against them in NFL history (422) at a 70.1% completion rate; another "worst in history" mark.

This had to change. GM Matt Millen was fired as well, and the owner brought in Mack Miller to fill the position. Now, to find a coach - and thankfully the 2007 offseason brought in numerous qualified candidates. Among them are:

Jim Zorn - a former all-pro quarterback is also interviewing with the Washington Redskins. He would bring a strong offensive mind to Detroit.

Charlie Weis - the former Offensive Coordinator for the Patriots during their amazing Super Bowl runs, Charlie is the head coach at Notre Dame, but rumors persist he wants an NFL job sooner rather than later.

Brian Billick
- the long time, and Super Bowl winning ex-coach of the Ravens, Brian was cut loose after 2007's subpar season.

June Jones - the master of the Run-n-Shoot, June has had stints in the NFL before, and his ultra-dangerous offense might reach new levels far from the college ranks in Hawaii.

Other names to watch: Dennis Green, Sylvester Croom, Kent Austin, Lloyd Carr, Houston Nutt, and Rich Rodriguez.

Up next, a coach is hired!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Re: The Detroit Lions

So, time for another dynasty! Been putting it off between my own indecisiveness and other games eating up my limited playing time. (talking to YOU, State of Decay and World of Tanks!) I actually decided on my coach first, then the Lions once I had seen a few tie-ins and got a story of sorts together in my head. Hope you enjoy, can't wait to see more dynasties up here - I've got a few more up my sleeve, but this will be my HC focus till it's over.

The Detroit Lions have hired Brian Billick as their 26th Head Coach
billick stadium.jpg
Brian Billick, age 54, was the head coach of the Baltimore Ravens from 1999 to 2007. He won Super Bowl XXXV, completely dominating his opponent: the New York Giants; however a couple of up and down seasons had Ravens ownership demanding change. He was also the Offensive Coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings when they broke the NFL points in a season record in 1998. After failing to crack an NFL roster in 1977, he began coaching in 1978 and has never looked back.

Coach Billick owns an 80-64 record; and is 5-3 in the playoffs, including the aforementioned Super Bowl victory.

The chance to get a coach with a Super Bowl trophy is a dream come true for the Lions. Maybe the Lions will see an image like THIS one for the first time...

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 12-08-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

NFL Network sits down with Coach Billick for this exclusive interview:

NFL:
Coach Billick, first things first, how amazing does it feel to be coaching again?

BB: Let me tell you it feels great. I'll admit, even with the successes I've had, I wasn't sure my phone was going to ring again. You pour your heart and soul into something, and when that something no longer needs you, it makes you second guess everything. I had to go through a lot of soul-searching to make peace with my situation; and luckily I was wrong, my phone rang early, and often!

NFL: So, how do you feel to be the new head coach of the Lions? This is a team that seems to pull in talented players, but never seems to accomplish much. In fact, their last title was when you were what, three years old?

BB: That's right, this team has come a long way, some might say it's lost it's way. I'm excited beyond words. There's a ton of talent on this team, and I can't wait to get it on the field and prove the league wrong.

NFL: The league? Or the Ravens?

BB: (laughing) Of course, you always want to show up the girl who said you weren't good enough... but I am speaking about the league. This franchise hasn't had a lot of success, and without success you can't have respect. We are here to get our respect...and then the Championship.

NFL: Thanks Coach, I know you've got to get ready for your press conference, and draft planning, and all that - good luck!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Summary of Coach Billick's press conference:

Regarding the Coaching Staff:

Mike Martz (OC) has been let go, he's signing with the 49ers in the same capacity.

Jim Coletto (OC) (promoted from OL when Martz left) Jim was the Raven's Offensive Line Coach from 99-2004, he spent 2007 as the offensive line coach in Detroit, and has been promoted to help get the offense together in Billick's fashion.

Kippy Brown (rbc) Kippy was the Detroit wrc coach in 2007, but is taking over the running backs this season.

Shawn Jefferson (wrc) Shawn played wide receiver for 11 seasons in the NFL, and spent his last season as a player in Detroit in 2003. He was an offensive consultant last season for Detroit, and has earned a shot to be the Lions wide receivers coach in 2008.

Mike Barry (olc) Mike is the son of Lion's Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry. He was the assistant offensive line coach last year under Jim Coletto, and when Jim got promoted, so did Mike.

Jimmy Lake (dbc) Clayton Lopez was the defensive back's coach last year, but left to take up the same position at USC. Jimmy Lake was the defensive backs coach at Oregon State, and appears to have a promising future. There's a rumor though he got the job only as a way to get his name a higher profile. He'll be under the microscope.

The rest of the coaching staff is intact from 2007. They understand they are on a one year "prove it" deal, as very little went right in 2007, and the coaches are responsible just like the players.

Up next, part two: the players

Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

The Players:

First, a quick summary of the Lions 2007 draft picks:

1st round: Calvin Johnson, wr. It was considered a surprise when the Lions didn't trade Calvin after drafting him. It was rumored the Buccaneers had offered a king's ransom, but the deal couldn't get done. After a pretty solid rookie year, the rumors of a trade are heating up again; after all the Lions have spent 4 top-tier picks on wideouts the last few years - and only one, Roy Williams, is still on the team. (Charles Rogers is out of the league, Mike Williams is almost out - he's a 5th string wideout in Tennessee as of this report.)

2nd round: Drew Stanton, qb Taking a quarterback in the first or second round is a pretty good indicator the team thinks this could be "the guy". However a knee injury landed Drew on IR. He's expected to be ready to go come training camp.

2nd round:
Ikaika Alama-Francis, de A tough DE out of Hawaii, "Ike" will get a chance to compete for snaps as he backs up last year's duo of Jared DeVries (7 sacks) and Dwayne White (7 sacks)

2nd rd: Gerald Alexander, fs Gerald started all 16 games last year when Bullocks, himself drafted in 2006, tore his ACL in training camp. Gerald will be expected to start; but when Bullocks is ready to practice, he's already on record saying he'll fight Gerald tooth and nail for his starting spot back.

3rd round: No picks.

4th round: AJ Davis, cb Aj was drafted with high hopes, but he was having a hard time with the old cover-2 the Lions were running. He was waived in September and was picked up by the Browns, where he spent 2007 on the practice squad.

4th round: Manuel Ramirez, lg Ramirez is currently pencilled in as the backup left guard, but he's learning the right side too.

5th round: Johnny Baldwin, olb Johnny was released at final cuts, and spent 2007 with the Kansas City Chiefs.

7th round: Ramzee Robinson, cb Ramzee, the 2007 NFL Draft's Mr. Irrelevant, spent 2007 on and off the active roster, and was released in the offseason prior to the hiring of Coach Billick. He is currently on the Carolina Panther's roster.

The key to the 2007 draft is Calvin Johnson. If he stays, he could be a dominant physical receiver like Terrell Owens. If he goes, he could really enrich the Lions roster with whatever compensation he brings in.

Drew has a lot to learn, but everyone knows that one thing that ended Coach Billick's time with the Ravens was the inability to land a franchise quarterback after the retirement of Steve McNair. Drew's got the tape to earn a shot, but Jon Kitna is here now, and another qb or two will be brought in as well. It's rumored Jon has no desire to mentor his replacement; and that could be a problem for the team.

As for the rest, those that are still on the team at any rate, they have the makings of reserves; but that's for Coach Billick and his staff to determine.

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 12-08-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

The Current State of Affairs, players pt. 2

The Lions ended 2007 with several key players on injured reserve, notably Drew Stanton, FS Daniel Bullocks, RB Brian Calhoun, TE Dan Campbell, and a few other key back ups.

Drew is coming back, hoping to at least solidify the back up Quarterback position and eventually challenge for the starting position. Brian was banged up in 2006 and 2007, and time is running out to see if this superstar from Wisconsin is going to be able to stay on the field long enough to show he's an NFL-caliber running back. Campbell is a good blocking tight end, and possibly could be the starter this year if he's healthy. Bullocks was a great 2006 draft pick and instant starter, but his injury allowed the Lions 2007 draft pick, Gerald Alexander, to step in and claim the starting free safety position. He needs to come back healthy and light it up if he plan on becoming the starter again.

As far as other players on the team to mention:

Jon Kitna has made it clear he isn't in the "mentoring" mood and wants a trade A.S.A.P.

Last year's running backs, Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett were in the last years of their deals and won't be back. Calhoun will have fresh faces to compete with.

WR Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey will also be seeking new employment, possibly via trade. Roy and Calvin (if he stays) will dominate the targets, and McDonald and Furrey make a little too much to be that far down the depth chart. They can start on other teams, several other; and we'll give them a chance to.

Defensively, the old cover 2 is gone. A more aggressive approach is required. We can't rebuild the whole team in a year, but there will be groundwork laid.

We're starting free agency with over
$49 million dollars in cap space!

(get ready to kiss it goodbye!)
Old 12-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

FREE AGENCY
The quick hits and misses

2006+ESPY+Awards+Arrivals+zI_e30mVLtMl.jpg

Just a quick summary:

Franchise Tag
- none - I had two pretty good right tackles I considered, but for the money, it wasn't worth it.

RFA's

QB Dan Orlovsky
- 24 years old, 71 ovr 1 yr @ 970k vs a 5th round pick. Pretty cheap for a young QB who could be a back up this year. We'll see who else thinks so.

RG Stephen Peterman
- 25 years old - 72 ovr 1 yr @970k vs a 3rd round pick. We need offensive linemen, but a deal that cheap that might net a 3rd rounder? We'll dangle that out there.

Signings and Trades of note:

SIGNED!
Shaun Alexander 4 years, $24 million dollars with a $3.5 million dollar bonus. A true power back, let's see if Shaun can still be the freight train we need him to be for at least a couple more years.

TRADED! Jon Kitna for Quinn Sypniewski. Jon didn't want to be here, the Ravens didn't want Quinn. We both got starters out of the deal, and reunites Billick with one of his former players.

TRADED!
Shaun McDonald to the Eagles for DT Mike Patterson. Mike gets to line up next to Shaun Cody, just like they did at USC. Cory Redding was released in a corresponding move. The Lions way overpaid for the guy.

TRADED! Our 2009 4th round pick to the Buccaneers for QB Brian Griese. This guy is a great QB who can, and is willing to, mentor Drew and anyone else who comes in.

SIGNED! Former first round pick Bryant Johnson, a WR who spent the last 5 seasons stuck behind Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in Arizona will get the chance to start in Detroit and hopefully enter his prime years and prove his pedigree. Teaming him with Roy Williams gives us two big (6'3", 215ish pounds), fast wideouts. (because...)

The BIG ONE:

TRADED! Calvin Johnson to the San Francisco 49ers for their 2008 4th round pick and their 2009 5th round pick. (I could have done better, but I didn't want to overdo it, he had a good rookie year, but I didn't want to go nuts for compensation based on what he did in his one year in the league as opposed to how amazing he is now.)

In addition, I was able to sign former Ravens Sam Adams, Jarrett Johnson, and Travis Taylor to help acclimate the Lions to my ways... There's a chance Jarrett stays, he might even move to MLB if I can't re-sign Lenon; but Sam and Travis are filling minor roles and their spots aren't guaranteed.

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 12-09-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

detroit-lions-grey-weathered-wood_preview.jpg

(a quick breakdown of "behind the scenes stuff")
Brian Billick - 13
commander
Chemistry 4, playcall 3, strat 3, perf 3
QB physical, intangible, playbook 2

specials:
game film
regular season seminar (reduce play knowledge in season)
both seemed relatively harmless and reasonable for a guy who has been a coach for 30 years.

I took the Texans Offense and the Texans Defense (never used either one) and cut a dozen plays off each one right off the bat. I then added 3 plays from the simple playbook list to give me a base 5wr, fb run, and play action; and added a base nickel lb blitz, dime blitz and quarter qb spy. I'll limit what I add during the year from "stealing" and won't go nuts creating plays. I might allow one created play per season. I'll also go through my playbook at the start of the next year and cut more plays to emulate an evolving playbook for realism.

As for philosophies- my player stuff is still a work in progress. Most I have set to fit the guys I have, and positions in flux are set to generics like prototype to help with getting a 'rebuilding' feel. They will be finalized by season's end.

The only other things that are noteworthy is I bench media complainers, and my GM wants 3 million in cap room...

I'll pay attention to my coaches wishes and only get them skills based on if they want primary, special, or balanced.

Umm...anything else, feel free to ask - time to put up the Draft Results!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »