Home

1/7-1/13 Game Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 1/7-1/13 Game Discussion Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #41
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: 1/7-1/13 Game Discussion Thread

I'm not sure if it's just the sheer number of games available, more camera angles, more athletic/faster play or what - but it just seems like the overall quality of the refereeing has been in decline for quite some time now. The tournament last year was a comedy of errors and it doesn't seem to be improving. Maybe it's always been like this, we just didn't see it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #42
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

They're definitely inconsistent.. There's plays where I can only scratch my head at the call or no call..
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #43
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I'm not sure if it's just the sheer number of games available, more camera angles, more athletic/faster play or what - but it just seems like the overall quality of the refereeing has been in decline for quite some time now. The tournament last year was a comedy of errors and it doesn't seem to be improving. Maybe it's always been like this, we just didn't see it?
This is definitely true in all sports. The quality of refereeing/umpiring has ALWAYS been what it is now IMO, but until recently the ref/ump truly did have the best view and that is now no longer the case. Think about the 1955 WS and the very famous play in which Jackie Robinson steals home and Yogi Berra goes nuts believing (to this day) that he was out. No one can no because the camera quality/angle is too poor...today we would know within 15 seconds if he was safe/out and if the ump got it wrong we'd here so much whining.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #44
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
This is definitely true in all sports. The quality of refereeing/umpiring has ALWAYS been what it is now IMO, but until recently the ref/ump truly did have the best view and that is now no longer the case. Think about the 1955 WS and the very famous play in which Jackie Robinson steals home and Yogi Berra goes nuts believing (to this day) that he was out. No one can no because the camera quality/angle is too poor...today we would know within 15 seconds if he was safe/out and if the ump got it wrong we'd here so much whining.
I think there is always going to be issues with human error. With that said, at least with college basketball, the human error has become way too common. Not only that, but absolute blown calls have been happening more frequently. It appears to me, again talking about college basketball, that most of the refs have been doing it for a LONG TIME. Therefore they aren't spring chickens. Some of them should have retired 5 years ago.

Maybe they just need to get some of these guys retired/fired and bring up some young, new blood? You will always get human error, but maybe you can eliminate or severely reduce outright blown calls.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #45
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
UK got lucky with that shot clock violation that was ignored, but at least Vandy still had a chance to tie or win.
I posted this on another board:

By the rules it was not a shot clock violation because the buzzer didn't sound until after it left his hand. Not saying the buzzer pusher didn't screw the pooch or that the system isn't broken at Vandy, just saying how it was called. A ref can't watch to the tenth of a second the ball leaving a players hand while simultaneously watching the clock. That's why there is a buzzer and usually a red light around the backboard.

Don't get me wrong, UK sucked as bad as they could have been after the first 10-15 minutes, but the rule on the court was correct. Somebody may have screwed up (buzzer person or the system itself), but the ref can only do so much with 2 eyes that aren't independent of one another.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #46
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
There's times that I wish I lived back then. That's where legends/stories come from. There's something awesome to me about the fact that Robinson and Berra were most likely the only people who really knew if he was safe or out.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #47
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
There's times that I wish I lived back then. That's where legends/stories come from. There's something awesome to me about the fact that Robinson and Berra were most likely the only people who really knew if he was safe or out.
I've thought the same time in recent years. Watching classic games from the 1980's or even the early 1990's the camera quality/angles leaves me unable to determine what actually happened. Heck, think about the Flute play...today they would analyze that thing three ways to Sunday to see if it was a 'catch'. Instead watching it back then it was a catch immediately.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
I posted this on another board:

By the rules it was not a shot clock violation because the buzzer didn't sound until after it left his hand. Not saying the buzzer pusher didn't screw the pooch or that the system isn't broken at Vandy, just saying how it was called. A ref can't watch to the tenth of a second the ball leaving a players hand while simultaneously watching the clock. That's why there is a buzzer and usually a red light around the backboard.

Don't get me wrong, UK sucked as bad as they could have been after the first 10-15 minutes, but the rule on the court was correct. Somebody may have screwed up (buzzer person or the system itself), but the ref can only do so much with 2 eyes that aren't independent of one another.
You're wrong, the rule is when the clock is on 0 and ball still in hand it's a shot clock violation.

There's no button pusher. It's set with when the clock goes to 0 it automatically goes off. They did away with the manuel buzzer a long time ago.

So the rule you think is wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »