Home

2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #9
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
Porter to Mizzou now? Unless UW is gonna hire Brandon Roy.
Martin is adding Porter Sr. to his staff. Porter Jr. is a lock if that happens regardless of who we hire. Also, I do not want Roy.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #10
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
Porter to Mizzou now? Unless UW is gonna hire Brandon Roy.
100% guaranteed Porter is going to Mizzou. Porter Sr. is joining Cuonzo as expected:

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/st...42691286740992
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
CC
MVP

CC's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't understand how stuff like that isn't a recruiting violation. Romar is his godfather, but Cuonzo has no relation to the family. I guess it doesn't matter much though since Mizzou isn't very good and he'll only be there a year.

Last edited by CC; 03-15-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
I don't understand how stuff like that isn't a recruiting violation. Romar is his godfather, but Cuonzo has no relation to the family. I guess it doesn't matter much though since Mizzou isn't very good and he'll only be there a year.
They changed the rule not too long ago didn't they so teams wouldn't give family jobs like video coordinator, now if you want to recruit the player and you choose to give family a job it has to be one of your three assistant spots.

I could be misremembering but I seem to recall that being the case.

Anyhow like you said you're hiring an assistant for one year of Porter (and I assume the 2018 Porter ends up there as well).
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Long time coming for Romar. He and Cuanzo have shown tremendous ability to recruit, but haven't achieved much with it.

Sent from my HTCD200LVWPP using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #14
The buzz is palpable now!

sportznut02's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniM1ke
They changed the rule not too long ago didn't they so teams wouldn't give family jobs like video coordinator, now if you want to recruit the player and you choose to give family a job it has to be one of your three assistant spots.

I could be misremembering but I seem to recall that being the case.

Anyhow like you said you're hiring an assistant for one year of Porter (and I assume the 2018 Porter ends up there as well).
You are correct on the NCAA changing the rule. I was just going to post about it.

In an attempt to patch this creepy loophole, the NCAA recently passed a rule which states that programs can no longer hire AAU coaches into "non-coaching" roles. The rule prohibits schools from hiring anybody associated with a basketball recruit to a non-coaching role for a two-year period before or after the athlete enrolls.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Sec will be intriguing, big time recruits coming in. Especially Bama, that Sexton kid can flat out score.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
Sec will be intriguing, big time recruits coming in. Especially Bama, that Sexton kid can flat out score.

Depending on who Illinois ends up hiring (sounds like our 5 star in this class Jeremiah Tilmon will stick with Illinois if the new coach retains Jamall Walker, if not he'll open it up), I see Martin hiring Walker and getting Tilmon.

Ideally Illinois will hire someone that realizes Walker has been our ace recruiter and is responsible for the incoming class, but if they have a chance to hire a really good coach I also understand they may want to bring in their own assistants.

Rumor is Illinois is willing to spend up to 5 mil a year on this hire, that BTN money is kicking in. I've gotten my hopes up on the last two coaching searches only to watch them settle both times so I'm taking a cautiously optimistic approach this time but our new AD gives me hope he can land a name. Of course the money plays the biggest part, they've spent like a small time school last couple hires so of course the top potential candidates aren't jumping for that.

Glad it wasn't Martin though I was worried it would be, Illinois has already tried one branch off the Keady tree and while Martin would bring in a ton of talent I don't think he would do much with it like he showed last year with Cal, top three pick in the draft and you can't get by Hawaiii, not to mention 2 tourney appearances in 9 years as coach, top it off with his Cal team looking brutal in the NIT last night after underachieving all year. The Romar comp is a good one.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27

Last edited by IlliniM1ke; 03-15-2017 at 08:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »