Home

Rumor: Mountain West Conference To Expand To 12, Receive BCS Auto Bid

This is a discussion on Rumor: Mountain West Conference To Expand To 12, Receive BCS Auto Bid within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Rookie

XxKrebsxX's Arena

OVR: 5
Rumor: Mountain West Conference To Expand To 12, Receive BCS Auto Bid

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...l_results#poll

Quote:
The latest rumor coming out of Washington DC is that the MWC has invited Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada to join the nine team MWC.

I will reiterate: it's just a rumor. But given the growing number of rumblings, and the pragmatism surrounding this concept, it seems to have legs. At least at face value.

The only reason the MWC would ever expand is if they were somehow guaranteed an automatic seat at the BCS table.

So if there is any truth to this rumor, it is fair to assume that there is some degree of cooperation from the BCS.

At a cursory glance, this makes perfect sense. A beefed up MWC with four football powerhouses (all of whom have reached a top five ranking within the last 12 months), a 3-0 BCS Bowl record and now a conference championship game, would more than qualify the MWC 12 as a legit BCS conference.

So the practicality of it alone lends credence to the idea. Plus, a careful evaluation of the players involved might imply something may be in the works.

ESPN itself, the network who covers the BCS Bowl games and who dominates college football coverage, has shown a highly uncharacteristic interest in the MWC of late.

In fact, this week Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso, and College GameDay will be headed to Fort Worth to cover Utah-TCU on Saturday. This is now the third College Game Day visit to a MWC school in the last five weeks.

Congress itself has seemed relatively quiet of late despite the fact that TCU can arguably boast an undefeated record with a tougher SOS and a stronger resume than No. 3 Texas at this point.
Especially if the Frogs top Utah on Saturday.

Validity to the Speculation: Why it Makes Sense

I've heard from fairly reliable resources that the MWC was planning to announce the addition of Boise State after the season.

Last year at this time, the folks from Boise State were particularly vocal about gaining MWC admission. That talk has been hard to find of late, which leads to the conclusion that they've been adopted into the fold.

Utah AD Chris Hill, a very well-connected and widely respected (he hired Rick Majerus, Urban Meyer, and Kyle Whittingham) figure in the MWC has been atypically open about his willingness to take the Broncos in.

It's not a common thing for an AD to come out and say that.

The Broncos would be bringing a lot to the table. Their brand recognition and reputation alone will help further the MWC cause. Nevada and Fresno State would seem an upgrade to the middle tier.

While Boise has historically been weak in other athletic departments, Nevada and Fresno State seem much more established in the other venues. Fresno State is fresh off its 2008 College World Series National Championship.

Nevada was the WAC basketball regular season champion from 2004 through 2008, reaching a top 10 ranking in 2007 and finishing the season with a 28-4 record.

The MWC would also be gaining decently sized Reno, Boise, and Fresno markets. Markets that expand MWC coverage but also boast some of the faster growing areas in the country.
The league would likely be divided geographically. My guess is they'd go from West to East.

With San Diego State, Fresno State, Nevada, UNLV, Boise State, and Wyoming making up the western component.
And Utah, BYU, Colorado State, TCU, Air Force, and New Mexico shoring up the East.

This way, teams would have logical travel partners and natural rivalries (with a few exceptions).
The East would seem football heavy while the West would be stronger on the basketball court.

The concept also makes perfect sense from a legal perspective. The MWC and its famed plight for congressional support would be satisfied. Senator Hatch can rest easy and focus on resolving other ills of society knowing that his teams would have a much greater shot at a National Championship under this model.

As we speak, this conference alone would boast two top six teams, three top 15 teams, and four ranked teams. That's more ranked teams than the SEC. Twice as many as the Big 12. And more combined BCS Bowl victories than the entire ACC since 1998. Or the Big Ten since 2004.

The conference championship at this point would feature the TCU-Utah winner against Boise State. That's as compelling, if not more, than any other conference championship outside of Atlanta.
Interesting. I for one would love to see this happen; especially for Boise State. I'm somewhat of a closet fan for them.

Last edited by XxKrebsxX; 11-13-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Rumor: Mountain West Conference To Expand To 12, Receive BCS Auto Bid

Pac 10 fans rejoice.

No longer are they the inferior conference.

@AdamdotH
Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Rookie

XxKrebsxX's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
Pac 10 fans rejoice.

No longer are they the inferior conference.
Same can be said about the Big East as well who will not have a BCS auto-bid yet this rumored new conference would. LOL.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

I'd love to see this happen, but its the Bleacher Report so I take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
MVP

BoomerSooner11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
I'd love to see this happen, but its the Bleacher Report so I take it with a grain of salt.
+1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

Interesting, though it would likely spell doom for the WAC which would be left with 6 members. Someone posted the following link on the HelmetProject website forum a couple days ago. It's basically a summary of potential conference reallignments for D-I and even a few D-II and NAIA school that may move up.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/confere...lignment-grid/
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 30

1. Why would news about the Mountain West, an organization based in Colorado, come out of Washington, DC, a city that literally has no connections to college football in any way?

2. Why would anyone believe anything from bleacherreport?

3. Why would anyone believe someone who previously wrote this:

Quote:
Urban Meyer's spread offense at Utah blew out anything and everyone in sight, but pundits were convinced it wouldn't hold water versus the speedier BCS defenses. Particularly those of the SEC. Urban laid this one to rest in his first year at Florida.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

So what would happen to the WAC?
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »