Home

Coaching Carousel Thread 2011-2012 Edition

This is a discussion on Coaching Carousel Thread 2011-2012 Edition within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Coaching Carousel Thread 2011-2012 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbut
Well we all know Joe Pa is gone, so who do you guys see as a potential replacement, or who do you think would be a good fit? I said last year I thought Penn State would be Urban Meyer's next stop, but this is a year sooner then I expected so I'm not sold on that. In my mind though he has to be the #1 candidate

(Adding this just in case, I'm not intending to drag any of the garbage out of the other thread into here, wanting to use this thread for it's purpose, the discussion of coaching changes.)
I think they promote from within. I don't see a major college head coaching name coming in right away.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbut
Well we all know Joe Pa is gone, so who do you guys see as a potential replacement, or who do you think would be a good fit? I said last year I thought Penn State would be Urban Meyer's next stop, but this is a year sooner then I expected so I'm not sold on that. In my mind though he has to be the #1 candidate

(Adding this just in case, I'm not intending to drag any of the garbage out of the other thread into here, wanting to use this thread for it's purpose, the discussion of coaching changes.)
I got a feeling that Al Golden might be on their short list.....but I hope not.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #19
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm not sure that following Joe Pa and this scandal makes Penn State a great job. It may be more difficult than you think for them to get a big name.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I'm not sure that following Joe Pa and this scandal makes Penn State a great job. It may be more difficult than you think for them to get a big name.
With that stadium, those fans and all that history I don't think we'd be talking about a massive undertaking to be honest. For argument's sake let's say they do manage to bring in Urban Meyer. Assuming they clean house from top to bottom Administratively, I don't see a guy like Urban taking much time to right the ship and turn Penn State into the Alabama of the B1G. Almost all of the historically big programs in that conference are down right now for their standards and the door is wide open.

I can see Golden being a good suggestion as well. He a bit more of an unknown to the "everyday" college football fan, but I think he has a proven record. I do think though a guy like Golden would have a little more trouble turning things back good then a guy like Meyer, but hell, look what he's done with Miami this year, considering the mess they started off in.
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Let's say you are Joker Phillips. Your second season isn't going as planned, but you still have the backing of your AD, so you can keep deflecting criticsm all day long. Like when you say this to the media.

”We definitely don’t have the speed we’ve had the last couple years to stretch the field.”

Well played, Coach. You’ve now earned the black belt in deflecting coaching criticism. When the players aren’t making plays in your second season, say you don’t have what you need and insinuate that it’s the fault of the previous staff. You want speed. You’ll get speed. You just have to wade through these leftovers.

Wait, what? Joker? Recruiting coordinator? Previous staff? Eight years?

The sad thing is when you lose Jeff Drummond of the Cat's Pause in your ever-shrinking corner of supporters, you know you have issues...

Quote:
“I’m at the point now where I’m conflicted between endorsing what is fair and endorsing what is wise. It’s not fair to let a coach go after two years if he’s not done anything improper off the court or abused his players and athletics department personnel like BCG did with basketball. Joker (or any coach, for that matter) absolutely deserves three years to get their program operating the way he wants it.

However…

Life’s not always fair. Actually, seldom is.

Can UK realistically improve next season? I don’t see it. Where are the SEC-level playmakers? They’re non-existent in this program right now. And there are none coming in for 2012. There’s a good group of OL coming in, some promising DL if they make the grades and some decent-looking LB/DB types. But no skill guys the offense is desperately lacking.

Outside of Patrick Towles, there isn’t a clear 4-star caliber guy in the class. You CANNOT keep trying to complete in the SEC with sleepers.

As much as I like Joker the person, he’s set up for another terrible season due to his roster and the schedule and having even more venom being sprayed in his direction next year. Unless there’s a miracle cure (and I don’t think those exist in football) it’s almost inevitable what will happen in about 12 months (he’ll be a goner). So, do you wait 12 months, or get it out of the way now?”
#HireMikeLeach
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #22
All Star

OVR: 17

Nothing official but you'd have to think that Tom O'Brien has to be on the way out at NC State.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Nothing official but you'd have to think that Tom O'Brien has to be on the way out at NC State.
I don't know. His comments and the subsequent beatdown of UNC for the fifth straight year might buy him another year. He's certainly on thin ice, though.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

Luke Fickell is almost assuredly not going to be given a serious chance to keep the job after this year.

The (realistic) short list as of right now:
Urban Meyer
Bo Pelini
Tim Beckman (although significantly further down than the first two)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »