Home

How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18

This is a discussion on How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #25
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
So long as it's the correct five guys, wearing the correct gear, correct numbers, etc., i can't see anyone caring if they aren't real time.. those milestone goals are great. put together 5 or 8 cutscenes for 'standard' goals and 3 or 4 more for 'big' goals and it would be more than enough.

anyway i've posted before but i think a CBC/hockey night in canada presentation package would be both appropriate and awesome for this franchise.
I would love for more stuff to happen "On ice". There are just so many glaring cuts in the game. It would be nice to get a bit more in terms of realistic goal celebrations, and just other various things that play out on the ice without dropping to a cut scene.

The shoving and stuff after the play is nice, but it would be better to see guys start to skate off the ice, and also maybe have some better animations for various types of players. As it stands now, you just end up having a handful of pairs doing the exact same animations where they shove and grab each other. It would be cool to see stuff like scrums, guys pulling each other back, players talking to the refs between plays, after whistles, before faceoffs, etc.

Everything just has a tendency to feel very canned. You score a goal, do one of two celebrations if you're me (Jump into the boards, or scrape the ice...because the others are all just goofy) and then everyone kind of follows after you, before you glide into the boards, net or other players as it plays out, then it suddenly cuts to a player or two patting you.

Personally, I wouldn't mind more animations for just general things to break up the 5 guys skating and doing the same few things. Defenders patting their goalie, guys who are tired showing it on the ice after the whistle, players talking to each other on near miss goals, or maybe before faceoffs.

Basically just anything on ice to kind of break up the usual guys standing around, and preferably less cuts to the close ups right after. I don't mind the camera moving, or zooming, but it can kind of take you out of things to score a goal, have you lonely player jump into the glass, then quickly cut to guys mobbing you, followed by another cut to you skating down the bench, followed by replays...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6

I've been a Devils fan my entire life so I have always loved listening to Doc. Having said that, the commentary in this game is probably the worst out of any sports game I've played in almost 20 years. I don't understand if/how/why EA could tell him to be totally emotionless.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #27
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I would love for more stuff to happen "On ice". There are just so many glaring cuts in the game. It would be nice to get a bit more in terms of realistic goal celebrations, and just other various things that play out on the ice without dropping to a cut scene.

The shoving and stuff after the play is nice, but it would be better to see guys start to skate off the ice, and also maybe have some better animations for various types of players. As it stands now, you just end up having a handful of pairs doing the exact same animations where they shove and grab each other. It would be cool to see stuff like scrums, guys pulling each other back, players talking to the refs between plays, after whistles, before faceoffs, etc.

Everything just has a tendency to feel very canned. You score a goal, do one of two celebrations if you're me (Jump into the boards, or scrape the ice...because the others are all just goofy) and then everyone kind of follows after you, before you glide into the boards, net or other players as it plays out, then it suddenly cuts to a player or two patting you.

Personally, I wouldn't mind more animations for just general things to break up the 5 guys skating and doing the same few things. Defenders patting their goalie, guys who are tired showing it on the ice after the whistle, players talking to each other on near miss goals, or maybe before faceoffs.

Basically just anything on ice to kind of break up the usual guys standing around, and preferably less cuts to the close ups right after. I don't mind the camera moving, or zooming, but it can kind of take you out of things to score a goal, have you lonely player jump into the glass, then quickly cut to guys mobbing you, followed by another cut to you skating down the bench, followed by replays...
Agreed... more of a "live" feeling to the game would be nice. Like the animation where the player looks likes he's about to blow a bubble.. LOL.. the stoppage in play stuff gets really repetitive - they have added some nice touches like the sliver stick presentation, etc.. but there is so much they can hopefully add.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #28
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

A lot of great ideas in here. Just one small addition to my wish list I posted. I may be in the minority here but I would rather they eliminate the celebration buttons and just have automatic realistic goal celebrations that fit the way the goal was scored. Just have a bunch of realistic generic celebrations along with some signature ones that some star players do. A system like MLB the show has where you can assign HR celebration swings or swing types to players would be great. You can use this on your created players or change in edit a player.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #29
Rookie

Sportsworth's Arena

OVR: 0
If 2K ever made a NHL game again that would be great! My complaint about EA NHL is that you cant upload your own logos to create teams. Very limited with custom creation as far as making a team goes. Can't stand the commentary too. I'm at the point that I turned it off for good. Once again NBA 2K17 shows how commentary in sports games should be done.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils
I've been a Devils fan my entire life so I have always loved listening to Doc. Having said that, the commentary in this game is probably the worst out of any sports game I've played in almost 20 years. I don't understand if/how/why EA could tell him to be totally emotionless.
Welcome to another fellow Devils fan! #LGD!

The fact that they don't have Doc's great enthusiasm really disappoints me. His goal calls got a little better with NHL 17 and I hope they continue to work on them for NHL 18, ESPECIALLY in big moments/all playoff goals. It simply is not there. Also, when pinning the computer in the offensive zone or when they pin you in the defensive zone, Doc gets somewhat excited, but they did not add to this for NHL 17. It is pretty much the same as it was for NHL 16. I believe most of the commentary went towards the milestones/World Cup of Hockey

They also dont have basic "Sends it across, SCORESSSSS *insert goal scorer's full name or last name" which is one of his trademark goal calls. I, and I am sure yourself, could bring up many more trademark calls that aren't in the game yet.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #31
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

NBA Live's arena atmosphere was pretty solid. Them having a regular season crowd, a playoff crowd, a conference finals crowd, and then a finals crowd was great.

If they could do that somehow that would be awesome. Even when the home team takes a penalty, boo the refs etc. Or when the home team player gets tripped up, high sticked, no call, booooooooooo.

Small things here and there would go a long ways.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #32
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
I emulate the season I would like to see a place you can put your player If he has an injury in the real season. For instances instead of me having to banish him to the minors put him in an injury slot so it will not affect my 23 man roster. And if I am playing the season when their is a jersey update have it available in my season mode. All it looks like the winter classic is here to stay as long as the all star is so have these available during season mode. If it's in the game it's in the game. EA Sports don't just say it do it sincerely from a Sega genesis fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »