Home

New Player NHL '17 Frustrating

This is a discussion on New Player NHL '17 Frustrating within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Rookie

Hipster-Doofus's Arena

OVR: 4
New Player NHL '17 Frustrating

Man on man do I want to like this game. I want SO BAD, to like this game. I purchased '17 when it was on sale on PSN last week. But....EA and all it's glory is doing everything in it's power to completely break immersion and stop me from liking this game at every turn.

Terrible AI that just sit there - My teammates AI is ridiculously bad. They literally don't react to loose pucks to slowly gliding on the ice. They just stand there any do nothing. And when they do finally react, it's like they are pulling a 10 ton truck it takes them so long to get going. Opponent players constantly always getting loose pucks and skating past my AI players like they are standing still. Which means the computer gets every puck They constantly leave wide open opponents standing in front of my net uncovered for easy goals. If i decide to manually stop this from happening, I get killed by slappers from the point were the computer AI just can't miss.

Computer take puck away when ever they want - It seems like no matter what I do whether I protect the puck it gets poke check away with ease. I could be skating with a 6'9" 500lb skater and will still stumble and loose puck on the slightest nudge check from a opponent. When the computer wants to puck, it will get the puck.

The computer's passing ability is inhuman. Even when I change the slider it still seems like that computers ability to pass the puck is ridiculous.

Poke Checking - When ever I successfuly hit the puck and poke check the pretty much every time goes right back to the opponent. Either the puck barely moves and the opponents just instantly regains it, or the "coincidentally" goes right to another opponent player. Also, there are constantly situations where I clearly should have successfully hit the puck and poke checked it, but nothing happens.

I realize that some things has to do with difficulty I'm playing at, my sliders I've choosen, and just my over all skill at the game. Which could get much much better I will say...but geez. A monopoly on games is NEVER a good thing. And until we see another developer make a NHL game, we will continue to see EA and all it's glory.

There are SO man other things that bother me to no end, but I could write a novel it I were to rant about every single one. Which is what this is, a simple RANT. I want to like this game, and it has moments where it's AWESOME. But EA's answer to trying to make game real or tougher is to just make the game cheap and feel like it's predetermined as to whats going to happen and theres simply NOTHING you can do.

Last edited by Hipster-Doofus; 06-11-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: New Player NHL '17 Frustrating

Welcome to nhl 17 but everything you said has been said over and over. You bought a bad game from horrible company.

This game is one of the most frustrating I have ever played and I have played way more than my share of them. I'd say try and enjoy it but you probably never will

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Hipster-Doofus's Arena

OVR: 4

Positive thing is I only paid 10 bucks for the game as it was on sale. I've already got my moneys worth for that price so I'm not disappointed in that aspect. It is just that this game has so much potential but when the AIA whether it's my teammates or my opponent just do things that are ridiculously in human or stupid it just completely breaks in the immersion you had. There are plenty of times when I'm actually having fun and enjoying myself because at the base of it it is a great game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm a Be A GM guy, and NHL 15, 16 and 17 are beyond frustrating. I wish I still had NHL 10 since I still have my Xbox 360, that was a masterpiece of a game.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDShoes
I'm a Be A GM guy, and NHL 15, 16 and 17 are beyond frustrating. I wish I still had NHL 10 since I still have my Xbox 360, that was a masterpiece of a game.
I personally liked 15. Many times I've pondered how much time it would take with NHLView to create an updated roster set for 15. Then I realize, it would take forever and a day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster-Doofus
Man on man do I want to like this game. I want SO BAD, to like this game. I purchased '17 when it was on sale on PSN last week. But....EA and all it's glory is doing everything in it's power to completely break immersion and stop me from liking this game at every turn.

Terrible AI that just sit there - My teammates AI is ridiculously bad. They literally don't react to loose pucks to slowly gliding on the ice. They just stand there any do nothing. And when they do finally react, it's like they are pulling a 10 ton truck it takes them so long to get going. Opponent players constantly always getting loose pucks and skating past my AI players like they are standing still. Which means the computer gets every puck They constantly leave wide open opponents standing in front of my net uncovered for easy goals. If i decide to manually stop this from happening, I get killed by slappers from the point were the computer AI just can't miss.

Computer take puck away when ever they want - It seems like no matter what I do whether I protect the puck it gets poke check away with ease. I could be skating with a 6'9" 500lb skater and will still stumble and loose puck on the slightest nudge check from a opponent. When the computer wants to puck, it will get the puck.

The computer's passing ability is inhuman. Even when I change the slider it still seems like that computers ability to pass the puck is ridiculous.

Poke Checking - When ever I successfuly hit the puck and poke check the pretty much every time goes right back to the opponent. Either the puck barely moves and the opponents just instantly regains it, or the "coincidentally" goes right to another opponent player. Also, there are constantly situations where I clearly should have successfully hit the puck and poke checked it, but nothing happens.

I realize that some things has to do with difficulty I'm playing at, my sliders I've choosen, and just my over all skill at the game. Which could get much much better I will say...but geez. A monopoly on games is NEVER a good thing. And until we see another developer make a NHL game, we will continue to see EA and all it's glory.

There are SO man other things that bother me to no end, but I could write a novel it I were to rant about every single one. Which is what this is, a simple RANT. I want to like this game, and it has moments where it's AWESOME. But EA's answer to trying to make game real or tougher is to just make the game cheap and feel like it's predetermined as to whats going to happen and theres simply NOTHING you can do.
The AI isn't perfect, but I find it to be pretty good. Try and stick to one player on defense and play your spot. The AI tries to compensate for you when you play out of position and it makes them play much worse than they really are. Stay in the passing lanes and try to keep the opponent from taking a forehand shot.

When poking remember that the puck goes in the direction you point your lent analog stick more or less.

When the computer comes after you, use your forehand and backhand to protect the puck, and use x (or A on the Xbox) to protect the puck and hold it away from the defender.

There are also ways to deke that protect the puck, but I'm not familiar with that very much.

Try not to overcommit on defense, and stay between the puck and the net.

The AI does complete way too many passes in general, that's probably my biggest complaint with the game.

I recommend turning auto-backskate off so that you don't get blown bye, or can't make the right move.

You pick up the puck better when you're not skating, but gliding.

There is a sliders section that has a lot of good advice, but while you're learning I'd stick to the basic games modes.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
The AI isn't perfect, but I find it to be pretty good. Try and stick to one player on defense and play your spot. The AI tries to compensate for you when you play out of position and it makes them play much worse than they really are. Stay in the passing lanes and try to keep the opponent from taking a forehand shot.

When poking remember that the puck goes in the direction you point your lent analog stick more or less.

When the computer comes after you, use your forehand and backhand to protect the puck, and use x (or A on the Xbox) to protect the puck and hold it away from the defender.

There are also ways to deke that protect the puck, but I'm not familiar with that very much.

Try not to overcommit on defense, and stay between the puck and the net.

The AI does complete way too many passes in general, that's probably my biggest complaint with the game.

I recommend turning auto-backskate off so that you don't get blown bye, or can't make the right move.

You pick up the puck better when you're not skating, but gliding.

There is a sliders section that has a lot of good advice, but while you're learning I'd stick to the basic games modes.
This post is right on the money. One of the best I've seen on these boards.

I'll add one thing. A huge mistake I often see new players (and some old) make is passing the puck and then immediately skating with the receiver. Sometimes it's beneficial to just receive the pass and not jam on the left stick. Stay in a glide if the space in front of you is blocked, and see if you can pass back to to the original passer, another open guy, or even chip the puck past the defenders.

Try and be patient in a glide or a full stop in the offensive zone and you'll see your teammates try to get into space or play off you a lot better.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

One of my biggest bad habits to this day is passing and mashing the left stick to move or shoot before it has been received. It has cost me a lot of easy goals and breakaways.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »