Home

After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtable) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2017, 03:15 AM   #17
Rookie

bradbitte's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtab

I need a game with the "tradition" of hockey, not a fancy arcade game. The trees is a joke taken from the overtime to make a boring mode. Why not to improve actual modes first (gm,draft, career..). Where is the story mod? The classic team game mod? Too much work probably...

Create a mascott? Well why not but next a real create a player or a sharing roster.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #18
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtab

I have been a huge Debbie Downer on the NHL series over the years. That's been noted on here plenty of times. Looking back I probably should have been a bit more constructive, but I'm not even sure that would have mattered in getting things changed for how I wanted things etc.

I think most of my frustrations come from them being so close over the years, a tweak here, a tweak there game play wise would be really well done. Then year after year things, obvious things just ignored. Well maybe not ignored but just not have the man power to fix things or it was very low on priority list for whatever reason.

NHL 09, 10, 14, and now 17 were the games I enjoyed the most offline franchise wise.

If they build on 17 into 18 with this revamped AI, this is huge for offline and even online.

Awesome both sides of the puck now how a skill stick.

My favorite thing to do in EASHL etc is set up my teammates, so glad I will be able to put passes where I want and use the boards easier.

Gameplay wise over 15 and 16 left me kind of sour, making me want again for EA to market the game as an arcade one with sim elements. This made me want them to bring back 3 on 3 arcade hockey. Fun, over the top, easy to pick up and play etc. Games over quickly..

Then boom, they bring it back within NHL 18. They have the arcade version online/offline and with a campaign type mode, fantastic. They also have the sim type mode of 3 on 3 online in EASHL, fantastic. My buddy and I were talking just last week how its only usually 2 or 3 of us playing and how great it would be to play 3 on 3 in EASHL. Cracks me up the average EASHL games are played with just 2.1 players per team. This kind of changes the game online. Even so for e-sports. Find 2 other buds and dominate 3 on 3.

CO-OP, this is great with all the options. I'm just hoping I can invite my buddy into my franchise and play on my team. This would be great, especially since there is No GM Connected Mode again. 64 ways to play CO-OP? This has to be in right?

Expansion will be fun to mess with, only for me adding a 32nd team. Nice to have these options.

All in all my game play expectations have softened and I'm not as nit picky or as die hard as I used to be. I just want some decent game play to tweak, adjust, and have fun with all while getting solid stats in a short time. From the looks of it we will have all kinds of options to do that in NHL 18. We shall see.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 06-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #19
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I have been a huge Debbie Downer on the NHL series over the years. That's been noted on here plenty of times. Looking back I probably should have been a bit more constructive, but I'm not even sure that would have mattered in getting things changed for how I wanted things etc.

I think most of my frustrations come from them being so close over the years, a tweak here, a tweak there game play wise would be really well done. Then year after year things, obvious things just ignored. Well maybe not ignored but just not have the man power to fix things or it was very low on priority list for whatever reason.

NHL 09, 10, 14, and now 17 were the games I enjoyed the most offline franchise wise.

If they build on 17 into 18 with this revamped AI, this is huge for offline and even online.

Awesome both sides of the puck now how a skill stick.

My favorite thing to do in EASHL etc is set up my teammates, so glad I will be able to put passes where I want and use the boards easier.

Gameplay wise over 15 and 16 left me kind of sour, making me want again for EA to market the game as an arcade one with sim elements. This made me want them to bring back 3 on 3 arcade hockey. Fun, over the top, easy to pick up and play etc. Games over quickly..

Then boom, they bring it back within NHL 18. They have the arcade version online/offline and with a campaign type mode, fantastic. They also have the sim type mode of 3 on 3 online in EASHL, fantastic. My buddy and I were talking just last week how its only usually 2 or 3 of us playing and how great it would be to play 3 on 3 in EASHL. Cracks me up the average EASHL games are played with just 2.1 players per team. This kind of changes the game online. Even so for e-sports. Find 2 other buds and dominate 3 on 3.

CO-OP, this is great with all the options. I'm just hoping I can invite my buddy into my franchise and play on my team. This would be great, especially since there is No GM Connected Mode again. 64 ways to play CO-OP? This has to be in right?

Expansion will be fun to mess with, only for me adding a 32nd team. Nice to have these options.

All in all my game play expectations have softened and I'm not as nit picky or as die hard as I used to be. I just want some decent game play to tweak, adjust, and have fun with all while getting solid stats in a short time. From the looks of it we will have all kinds of options to do that in NHL 18. We shall see.
I pretty much agree 100%. I have given up on better player separation, teams feeling different, and amped up playoffs. I've lowered expectations and can enjoy my offline seasons more now with 100 point sliders. It's the little things I think frustrate me now. Things I feel are over due and no brainer. If I could get Roster share, 5 man celebrations, and they fix the 3-3 OT I will be happy enough to buy.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #20
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Ignoring gameplay which I think is going to be the most important thing, I think the expansion has potential...but if the customization is still as weak as it was last year, it won't matter to me.

The team names and logos provided in game are all pretty weak, assuming you don't want to use some goofy name like the "Deke and Destroy" or "Fear the Beards". It would be nice if they ripped a chapter out of the NBA 2K book and really revamped the customization of characters, jerseys and rinks.

NBA 2K gives you an insane level of customization, letting you import your own logos, accents for jerseys, and court customization. It would be incredible to have that in the NHL series.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #21
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

I think it's important to remember that this is a video game, and it's never going to be perfect to the actual game. We can really only hope to get closer and get small improvements game play wise.

If you look at it that way the game is less frustrating to play. You're no longer looking for that one thing that doesn't work but adapting and playing the game.

I would really love Roster Share, Mask Customization, and more Create-A-Team customisation, but I feel that it might not ever happen because of copyright concerns. They could have to deal with trade mark and licensing issues if players replicate items or players.

Not saying that is a fun answer, but a logical one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #22
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
I think it's important to remember that this is a video game, and it's never going to be perfect to the actual game. We can really only hope to get closer and get small improvements game play wise.

If you look at it that way the game is less frustrating to play. You're no longer looking for that one thing that doesn't work but adapting and playing the game.

I would really love Roster Share, Mask Customization, and more Create-A-Team customisation, but I feel that it might not ever happen because of copyright concerns. They could have to deal with trade mark and licensing issues if players replicate items or players.

Not saying that is a fun answer, but a logical one.
I just can't see how customization presents them with issues. If other sports games can allow custom logos to be added, I don't see how EA is the one company that can't.

Real goalie masks? Sure. But I don't see how allowing people to upload images of their own choice affects EA in any way. I tried searching around to see if NBA 2K has run into the same issue, and all I've been able to track down is a lawsuit regarding Lebron's tattoos, but that was an issue with 2K sports themselves, not a 3rd party adding it to the game.

As for changing the outlook on the game, I know it won't ever be a 100% sim, but for me it's tough to even get it remotely close most of the time. When 3/4 of my offensive zone entries are me by myself with 5 other players backing up, or when my defenders just insist on following players and moving around and almost playing keep away from the other team when they have the puck...it's frustrating to say the least.

I'm being cautiously optimistic, but after the past few years I'm certainly not holding my breath or throwing away my standards for the game.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #23
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3

I love Customization. The Expansion draft sounds fun and interesting.

Hopefully the NHL makers played some NBA 2K (MyLeague), where you have so much ability to create things your way and got some ideas from it.

*Things I want in the Game - Edit/Create Draft Classes - Replace Multiple Teams - Created Team Templates - Editing Players - And More
Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #24
Rookie

Two of the biggest issues for me are input delay and goalies being utter crap...no mentions of fixing either from what I have seen...i'll wait for the game to go on sale.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »