Home

NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative AI

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative AI within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #25
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I guess I don't really get the purpose of the offensive passing AI changes. All NHL is already is a fire a pass to center ice or the far blue and enter the zone by yourself. Then take a shot from the slot because the AI defense allows you to walk in. I mean it's the same issue every year. If they made AI changes to defense then we would be talking about something great. Maybe they did but didn't mention it, but I highly doubt they did.

As others have said the goalies are terrible. It's the same unrealistic animations every year. Finally people are starting to notice because over the last few years when a few of us talked about it, the majority said goalies weren't a large issue.
Bwiggy back on the forum! Couldn't agree more.

I hope the new AI will be a true improvement on the current AI, and I think it will be a step forward in terms of what it's trying to accomplish. I have even more hope for the defensive skill stick, and I think it'll be really good for human players. Let's see if the AI is creative enough to take full advantage of it; looked good in the trailer, but so what.

Ah goalies. Here's hoping, once again, for continued improvements and variations. Won't complain about them though if EA really makes a hit with these touted improvements instead of focusing on goalies. It's a marathon, not a sprint on these consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #26
Rookie

shanev's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative A

Besides the break when i was playing 2K instead; this will be the first year I'm not picking this game up right away. Might just wait until a black friday sale even.

I liked the gameplay last year, but the other sports games are so above & beyond where NHL is in terms of franchise & career options.

I have almost no interest in the HUT & Online modes; so with a lack of attention to offline play, I feel really disappointed in what I've heard so far.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #27
Just started!

Pavel Buchnevich's Arena

OVR: 0

If it's just a deking and scoring fest, then this game is going to suck. If you can properly counter offense with the defensive skill stick, and goalies aren't as glitchy as crap-- as well as bad AI, then this game has a chance at being okay.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #28
Pro

I wish they would finally a low u to let you chose the length of franchise mode if they didn't add this mode I'll just stick to 17 I downloaded it for 10 bucks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #29
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

The goalies are top 3 of the biggest eye sores in this game. You can argue possibly the #1 issue.

They are atrocious. The movements are TERRIBLE, the animations are completely unrealistic, they don't push off... I could go on and on. When they get scored on, it's the same ugly animations we've seen since PS3/Xbox 360 days.

If you pass cross crease to another player and shoot, you'll see the goalie animations speed up in the instant replay mode with that UGLY dive across the crease animation to try to make a save.

I DO like the defensive skill stick....the AI well, lets just say that will be seen if any improvements were made when the beta is out. Couldn't care for the ridiculous skill stick moves. The goalies are so bad in the video that the moves and how they play out, make the game look awful. The goalies just get out of position once the moves are initiated...ugh
Old 07-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #30
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

I don't put any stock in these trailers. They always seem to show amazing dekes, passes, and poor positioning and weak save attempts by goalies all while promising AI improvement. I'm not ripping the game because I was able to enjoy NHL 17 enough but until I can get my hands on it and tweak it my way the verdict is out. My greatest frustration with NHL17 was everytime I got my gameplay to happy place they released a patch that nerfs it and I need to tweak all over again.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

I take it there is still no proper boardplay? I remember NHL 2K6 had fantastic boardplay controls and animations. I guess however it isn't as "sexy" as skill sticks, etc...
Webmaster of The Blue Line - Your #1 resource and forums for NHL Eastside Hockey Manager & Franchise Hockey Manager - http://www.ehmtheblueline.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #32
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
Color me unimpressed. They should just call it NHL All Star Game 18. Not enough here to warrant a full price.*

The entire game engine and animations needs an overhaul imo. This is times where I wished we have competition for hockey. I can only imagine if 2K was still around what game they would have had for us by now. sigh..

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »