Home

MartialMind's honest thoughts after playing EA Sports UFC 3

This is a discussion on MartialMind's honest thoughts after playing EA Sports UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #41
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MartialMind's honest thoughts after playing EA Sports UFC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Cant get into the mechanics yet but the game isnt a parry fest. Not even close.
But... the parry is still there?

I think the slipping mechanics should be better and you use that to counter people, not a button input that gives you a free parry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman

I think the slipping mechanics should be better and you use that to counter people, not a button input that gives you a free parry.
Parrying is a part of the sport get over it they just need to implement it right
Old 08-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #43
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman

The parry being there isnt the problem. Parries happen in the sport constantly. Watch a Rumble Johnson, Pettis, John Dodson or Woodley fight and you see them consistently parry in their fights.

The problem is in past games you could parry everything and it caused an unrealistic pause that gave you free strikes. I'm not getting into the mechanics of the game because I cant. I will say that after watching and playing the game for almost 30 hrs......no one was using the parry button. When we tell you about the mechanics, you will realize why.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #44
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
The parry being there isnt the problem. Parries happen in the sport constantly. Watch a Rumble Johnson, Pettis, John Dodson or Woodley fight and you see them consistently parry in their fights.

The problem is in past games you could parry everything and it caused an unrealistic pause that gave you free strikes. I'm not getting into the mechanics of the game because I cant. I will say that after watching and playing the game for almost 30 hrs......no one was using the parry button. When we tell you about the mechanics, you will realize why.
The problem is the ease of using them. If they don't make them hard to get, people will still just wait for the strike. Parry becomes the same problem it always has been. A tool people use that makes the gameplay completely horrific. The parry problem isn't the parry. It's how it makes people play.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #45
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingtime
The problem is the ease of using them. If they don't make them hard to get, people will still just wait for the strike. Parry becomes the same problem it always has been. A tool people use that makes the gameplay completely horrific. The parry problem isn't the parry. It's how it makes people play.

Parrying is much harder than camping on block, especially if you're decent at it. I would guess that less than 1% of my opponents are "good" at parrying.

You want to complain about parries, try beating up on the ai in hardest game mode, or pop in ufc 1 and play against the AI.

That said, the parry argument has been going on for years now. It's a new game, I'm sure it will be fine. The parries won't be the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #46
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman192
Parrying is a part of the sport get over it they just need to implement it right
Exactly, but looking ath the previous games, this is apparently very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingtime
Exactly x2. The problem with the parry as I have said many times before is that it is so abusable. Low risk, high reward.

Real versus fighting games, both 2D and 3D have always had parries, but they all had the same in common:

• Very strict timing: your parry had to be exact to work.
  • Massive vulnerability if you missed: Parries would root the user in place, so if the opponent did not take the bait they were wide open.
  • Only applicable to certain moves: Parries for punches only or kicks only, or even outstretched limbs only (knees, elbows, headbutts could not be parried for example.
If only these 3 points were in place, I would not mind having them, even if they had high rewards. As it is now, none of the 3 are in place.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #47
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
That is one fight out of 1000s of MMA fights though. We should be shooting towards the norm not exceptions. Even your Nate Diaz example (which is on the high end) has Nate throwing less than 100 strikes a round.

In UFC 2, fighters can throw 100 strikes per round easy without fear of punishment or significant stamina. In UFC 3, the punishment is real. The stamina is better and still getting tweaked. Try to pull that **** off in UFC 3 and you will likely get wrecked by a smarter opponent.

Let's say in UFC3 it becomes common to only throw 30 strikes a round. What do you do with all the down time? Trying to get the feet where you want them for striking or something?

I'm not asking for any information on the new game. I'm just curious what players would do during the game when not striking. Lots of times in mma fighters just stare and try to read each other, not sure how that would translate.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #48
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Let's say in UFC3 it becomes common to only throw 30 strikes a round. What do you do with all the down time? Trying to get the feet where you want them for striking or something?

I'm not asking for any information on the new game. I'm just curious what players would do during the game when not striking. Lots of times in mma fighters just stare and try to read each other, not sure how that would translate.
As long as GPD balances the rhythm of the game so both the ground and stand up mesh, I'm good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »