Home

3 Things EA Sports UFC 3 Could Learn From Fight Night Champion! (MartialMind video)

This is a discussion on 3 Things EA Sports UFC 3 Could Learn From Fight Night Champion! (MartialMind video) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 3 Things EA Sports UFC 3 Could Learn From Fight Night Champion! (MartialMind vide

The grappling is not even close to being expansive
Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Rookie

honorandgrit's Arena

Re: 3 Things EA Sports UFC 3 Could Learn From Fight Night Champion! (MartialMind vide

It can learn to punish spam like it did in Fight Night champion.

Remember getting destroyed by elite players but spammers I beat up in that game.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOne
Momentum transitions? Reversal subs? Special takedown denials?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 01:51 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUFCVeteran
Momentum transitions? Reversal subs? Special takedown denials?
That's not my definition of "expansive". The current grappling "system" is a good idea and all and should remain. But at it's current state the positions from transitions, subs from reversals or not and overall movesets are quite restricted and poor from these areas you mentioned. Even the animations for that matter look way to dull and outdated for my taste. The ground AI is also way to dull, now all these reasons is what i meant by not being "expansive". And i feel that many agree with me in this regard.

For example, where's the real standing guillotine sub and tons of other subs which where mentioned in a different thread that should already be included? Where's the back body triangle position, Sprawl (hand on head), Knee on belly, high mount, giftwarp from mount or sidecontrol, grapevine from mount, S mount and triangle sub from there, Quarter guard, butterfly guard, spider guard, seated against cage etc? I mean the list are endless of positions/moves/subs that haven't been implemeted in the game that actually should.

Did i even mention that the grappling movesets are completely broken over both games, yes over BOTH games. What i mean by that is the fact that broad list of fighters have sub moves from positions not avaliable to them. The devs never adressed them and just recently did they notice them and claimed it was a bug. I mean seriously, that's nothing but sloppy work.

It bugs me how some of you (espeacially game changers) are so easily satisfied with this current grappling state and are trying to move on the striking department. I bet most of you have already played Undisputed 3. Ask yourselfs has EA UFC 2 a more "expansive" ground game than that game? Note the fact that game was developed a decade ago with a studio with far less resources, manpower, experience than this one.

It's true that the grappling department was the strongest aspect in comparison to the striking and clinch in UFC 2. But it's still not enough, the game was a slight improvment of the first one not only in gameplay but different modes aswell, but still not enough, and it still remains a "terrible" MMA game sorry.

I really hope the third one delivers "major" improvments this time around in "all" areas (not just striking which it seems), which makes me wan't to come back because the game has great gameplay and modes with great replay value. At the end of the day i'm a huge MMA fan and wan't a great MMA game beacause it's been a while. If i see the same pattern, unfortunately i'm will be done with the series.

Last edited by TGOne; 08-12-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #13
MVP

@TGONE, the thing that irked me most about UFC 2's ground game was the damage system. The punch animations looked really weak but did serious damage. I'm not a BJJ wizard, did submission wrestling for a year or so. I liked what they did with the whole transitioning at the same time deal. What I didn't like was the difficulty to just hold a position - even a noob at grappling could hold on for a little while before getting destroyed irl.

What was cool about UFC 3's grappling, was the sort of chaining that went with it from stand up to ground back to stand up.

For example, a takedown attempt near the cage > defended with okay timing by the defender > back ends up on the cage > jostling position to get back off the cage > gets back off the cage > clinch trip from over under > ends up in half guard > postures up > lands a shot > holds > postures up > opponent transitions to full guard > guy at bottom holds > lands three vicious elbows from the bottom > guy on top returns a punch > punch is caught straight into a triangle choke > transitions to armbar > loses armbar and ends up in side control > both stall a bit regaining stamina > guy on bottom pulls a ground get up takedown from side control > guy on top defends but both end up back on feet.

Martial's video was fantastic. Echos my thoughts to a T. The reason I'm still playing only Fight Night Champion, when I have UFC 3 and EA UFC 2, is offline replayability.

This comes from the AI tendency tweaker, the gameplay sliders, bare knuckle and regular mode, tweaking round lengths & # of rounds, 90+ CAFs, fighter share (to help quickly fill up those CAF slots rather than spend hours doing it myself).

And the only modes I play, the only modes that sinks all these hours are exhibition and bare knuckle mode. Story once, career once, after that all about casual exhibition play. What would be a one up is universe mode WWE style. If FNC had that too, then wow.

Bottomline for offline:
Let us tweak stats & movesets of all fighters - we already can edit 1 guy by playing career with him. Just let us edit all of them.
Let us tweak AI of all fighters - even if it's a basic choice between switching AI tendencies with other fighters.
Let us tweak gameplay settings - damage, round lengths, speed, stamina, AI output, AI awareness OFF & DEF, AI grappling on / off
Give us more CAF slots.

Last edited by AydinDubstep; 08-12-2017 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 08-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
Banned

Grappling (while definitely being the best area of the game, though that's barely a compliment) had some major weak points for me. The striking animations were terrible. Submissions are too quickly/easily applied with very little science behind them. And then there's the issue that was game-wide, of stamina being pointless and the AI being dreadful. The AI takes you to the ground to do.......nothing. There's no reason to worry about fighting on the ground against the AI. It's just boring and repetitive garbage.

I really hope they did some major tweaks to their grappling system for UFC 3. Because it is a decent base to make a GOOD grappling/ground game if they do the right things with it.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #15
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by godway
Grappling (while definitely being the best area of the game, though that's barely a compliment) had some major weak points for me. The striking animations were terrible. Submissions are too quickly/easily applied with very little science behind them. And then there's the issue that was game-wide, of stamina being pointless and the AI being dreadful. The AI takes you to the ground to do.......nothing. There's no reason to worry about fighting on the ground against the AI. It's just boring and repetitive garbage.

I really hope they did some major tweaks to their grappling system for UFC 3. Because it is a decent base to make a GOOD grappling/ground game if they do the right things with it.
What difficulty level were you playing on? The AI was pretty much trash on its feet but at the top levels its very competitive for most players. Thats not to say there werent issues but the ground was one of the only areas where the AI was competent consistently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOne
That's simply false and you know it. The grappling is pretty deep, the problem is, at least for me, that it's pretty unresponsive and feels sluggish.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »