Home

NCAA 14 Coaching Dynasty (PS3)

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 Coaching Dynasty (PS3) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #449
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9
2018, Week 1 - at ECU

POINT MADE, NONE ALLOWED
North Carolina kicks off season with dominant performance l All three eligible quarterbacks play, combined for nearly 500 passing yards, six touchdowns l Tar Heels have two weeks to prepare for #1 Ohio State

Greenville, NC -- It's only been one game into the 2018 season and already the fans of the North Carolina Tar Heels are confident the days of 4-8 and 2-10 seasons are a thing of the past.

Despite playing another struggling program in East Carolina, North Carolina gave new hope to their fans with a 65-0 drubbing of the Pirates to open the season. The Tar Heels gained over 600 yards of offense, with nearly 500 through the air as all three eligible quarterbacks saw playing time and all five wide receivers caught a touchdown pass.

"These guys, they remember the struggles from last season." said UNC head coach Mike Leach, after his first game at the Tar Heels helm. "They spent all off-season working to improve and trend this program upward. And it showed today, we played a good game."

Leach's Air Raid offense had no problems with execution regardless who was under center. Starting quarterback Lionel Johnson completed 25 of 38 passes for 276 yards and three touchdowns, only playing the first half. Ira Griffin played the third quarter and completed 8 of 11 passes for 193 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception. Even third-stringer redshirt freshman Will Mayhew saw action, completing 4 of 7 attempts for 26 yards and a score.

Johnson added 48 yards and a touchdown with his legs, helping make sure the game was never in doubt.

The victory is the most lopsided in Mike Leach's head coaching history since a 66-14 beatdown on October 10, 2009 over Kansas State back when he was roaming the sidelines in Lubbock with Texas Tech. It's not the most points a Leach coached team has scored though, as that occurred two years prior on September 29, 2007 when Texas Tech beat Northwestern State 75-7. Against fellow members of the FBS, Leach hasn't beaten a school this badly since October 9, 2004 when Texas Tech dropped Nebraska 70-10.

It is the largest shutout victory in Leach's career.

East Carolina's home field advantage has been anything but, as the Pirates have lost their last eight games at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.

Not to be outdone, the Tar Heels defense was masterful as well. They sacked ECU's Trenton Marshall six times, held the Pirates without a first down for the first quarter and a half, kept them from crossing the 50-yard line for almost the entire first half and didn't play a down inside their red zone until the fourth quarter.

Linebacker Mike Smith led the way while the first team unit was on the field, recording four tackles, a sack, an interception, and a scoop and score after wide receiver Michael Bradley fumbled in the third quarter.

Things weren't all perfect for North Carolina. Backup running back Matt Fisher was very inefficient spelling Vince Gibbs, averaging less than three yards per carry and losing a fumble. Ira Griffin threw his interception in the red zone, the only red zone attempt that didn't end with any points.

"We didn't play a perfect game by any means, but that's hard to do for any team." said Leach. "We executed well enough to come away with the win, we know what we need to work on in practice, and we have two weeks to prepare for Ohio State."

That's right, the excitement in Chapel Hill may end up being short lived as after the bye week North Carolina will welcome top-ranked Ohio State. What the Buckeyes are currently doing is nothing short of a dynasty - four national championships in the last five seasons, five national championship appearances with a 67-3 record in the last five seasons. They haven't lost since 2015, winners of 28 straight games. Ohio State and North Carolina played last season and the Tar Heels stayed within a touchdown for three quarters before losing 45-21.

Last edited by Knickerbocker91; 08-07-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #450
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA 14 Coaching Dynasty (PS3)

Great coaching move that Is to North Carolina, lots of potential there.

Blown away by the level of depth in this, that's some serious time in that. Glad you got the win to start the season, won't be easy next game so gotta take the wins when you can!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #451
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

Woah.

What a statement to make in Week 1. I know ECU is never good in these NCAA '14 dynasties but .. to blow them out of the water like that is just unbelievable. Tremendous job all the way around. Now if only every game would be like that...

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2017, 06:07 AM   #452
MVP

gsutiger's Arena

my goodness what a way to start off the season at a new school. I did not expect that kind of performance day 1.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #453
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBritishGuy
Great coaching move that Is to North Carolina, lots of potential there.

Blown away by the level of depth in this, that's some serious time in that. Glad you got the win to start the season, won't be easy next game so gotta take the wins when you can!
Yeah, UNC is a lot better than Georgia State (91 at UNC compared to 74 from Georgia State last year) and I can really notice that I have better players. The only downside is that the ACC is a lot tougher than the Sun Belt so I still have a ways to go. Next game is definitely not going to be easy, so I wanted to avoid risking any starters getting injured in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsguru11
Woah.

What a statement to make in Week 1. I know ECU is never good in these NCAA '14 dynasties but .. to blow them out of the water like that is just unbelievable. Tremendous job all the way around. Now if only every game would be like that...
Yeah, ECU definitely gets the short end of the stick in NCAA 14. They're 17-46 all-time in my file but that includes a 7-7 season in 2013 (so 2.5 wins a seasons since, ouch). Definitely would love every game to play out like this one but the competition is going to get a lot tougher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsutiger
my goodness what a way to start off the season at a new school. I did not expect that kind of performance day 1.
Neither did I. I kept expecting ECU to finally get the ball moving but UNC was truly dominating on both sides of the ball. I made a few mistakes, threw some bad passes but nothing that really gave them any momentum. It really makes a difference when you have a 91 overall offense at your disposal. Hopefully it'll help next game.

Appreciate you all taking the time to read and comment.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #454
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

Around The Nation: 2018, Week 1

Old 09-01-2017, 03:56 AM   #455
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

2018, Week 2 - Around The Nation

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #456
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

2018, Week 3 Preview

Last edited by Knickerbocker91; 12-02-2017 at 09:50 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »