Home

The Resurrection of Sonoma State

This is a discussion on The Resurrection of Sonoma State within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer Updates?
full article for each week through the season 44 67.69%
brief stats/summary, article updates 4x per season 21 32.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2016, 04:52 AM   #65
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Bowl Bid

Sonoma State Accepts Bid To Hawaii Bowl

Sonoma state (8-5)
VS.
Air force (6-6)

Honolulu, HI -- Officials for the Sheraton Hawaii bowl announced today that the Sonoma State Seawolves and the Air Force Falcons have both accepted bids to play in the Christmas Eve event. The matchup will mark the first meeting between the two schools. Sonoma State boasts an 8-5 record as the C-USA champions, while Air Force finished 6-6 in the MWC.

Sonoma State chose to bypass all the C-USA affiliated bowls when the Hawaii offer came through. "It keeps us closer to home than our other options, and who doesn't want to be in Hawaii instead of at a cold winter venue?" Sonoma State AD Brian Franks told reporters.

The move definitely upset C-USA officials, as they made it well known that Sonoma State should have adhered to conference affiliations. There was speculation that Sonoma State chose the bowl based on MWC competition, in a move to gain favor of the conference much closer to home geographically. In an official statement released online, C-USA officials wrote "It is a disappointment to have a school within our conference shun the bowl ties. It weakens relationships within the communities, and among conference members. It is our hope this does not become a habit, however we wish the Seawolves the best of luck in the game."

Sonoma State comes into the game riding a strong offense and a strong finish which saw them steamroll through Marshall for the conference crown. Air Force has been up and down all year, and were lucky to make a bowl.

The game is scheduled for 3:30 PM EST, and will air on ESPN2.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #66
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: The Resurrection of Sonoma State

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Congrats on the conference championship!
Thanks buddy! Happy to see you're still keeping up. I was relieved to finally get the game played. I thought it was going to be a tough one, and was a bit nervous taking on the clear powerhouse of the conference. Everything fell into place though, I got very lucky.

Should get the bowl game and offseason done tomorrow. Might even get into 2016 if I'm lucky!

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-09-2016, 04:17 AM   #67
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Hawaii Bowl

Brian Givens and HB #6 celebrate Sonoma State's first bowl win

Sonoma Completes Comeback in a Shootout to Win the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl

HB #33 ties it up in the 4th | Sean Bentley kicks the game winner

Honolulu, HI -- Sonoma State came into the game with a severe case of jet lag. After fumbling on their first play from scrimmage, Brian Givens followed it up with an interception on their second. Things went downhill from there, as the Seawolves dug themselves into a 21-0 deficit by the end of the first.

The Falcons defense, however, may still be wondering what happened in the rest of the game. Sonoma State rattled off three touchdowns in the second quarter, all courtesy of HB #33 (two rushing, one receiving). In one short quarter, the game shifter completely from a blowout to something competitive. Sonoma State trailed by only one touchdown at the half, with the score 28-21.

Air Force came out looking recharged in the second half. They would put together a 10 play drive capped with a 35 yard TD run by HB #21. After another interception by Givens, who threw four in the game, it looked like Sonoma was down for the count. Instead, they forced a three-and-out. It would take them just five plays to put it in the endzone to come back within seven.

After a second straight three-and-out, the Seawolves again marched down the field. After a 3rd and 18 conversion, HB #33 punched in another. With 4:11 left in the fourth quarter, the game was tied. That's when things got dramatic.

Air Force responded with an 8 play drive, converting on two third downs to get to the Sonoma State 3 yard line. On an option play, Air Force mishandled the pitch. Pollock would jump on it to keep the game at a stalemate.

With 2:47 to go, the Seawolves were 97 yards from taking a lead. Giving Air Force a taste of its own medicine, Brian Givens ran a read option keeper to reach the 26 on the first play. In typical Sonoma fashion they hurried to the ball for their next move, and with no potential for taking a safety, they took a shot.

Same formation, same read option. Except this time, its a play action. The entire defense jumped on a play they had seen go for over 20 yards just seconds ago. Givens unleashed a deep bomb to wide open Chad Thompson for a touchdown. Just like that, after 2 plays and 97 yards, the Seawolves had their first lead of the game.

Air Force remained undeterred. Driving into Sonoma State territory, they faced a 4th and 18 from the 41 with 52 seconds left. QB #12 released a prayer, and WR #81 answered. He hauled in a desperation throw in the end zone. Once again, the game was tied, 42-42.

Sonoma State never had overtime on their mind. Ace return man Isaac Johnson brought the ensuing kickoff back 51 yards to reach midfield. With plenty of time left, Brian Givens looked cool and collected. He completed four straight passes on the drive to reach the Air Force 10 yard line.

The ball was dead center of the field with only a light wind. Things were grim for the Falcons. After an attempt to ice freshman kicker Sean Bentley, he put the boot to the ball.

For all those radio listeners, the next thing Sonoma fans heard was "There it is! The comeback is complete! Sonoma State has won their FIRST BOWL GAME IN HISTORY! HAWAII BOWL CHAMPIONS! WHAT A RIDE!

Sonoma State finishes the season in dramatic fashion, capping off a 9-5 season with a lot of up side.

"I can't believe the fight these kids showed. What you saw today was true character and will power. They never gave up, and were going to ride this momentum as long as we can." - Sonoma State HC Scott Wright

Sonoma State heads into the offseason with plenty to be happy with. They will return almost all their starters from this year, and can hope to be much more successful next year. That is, if they can keep their highly touted coach around.

Sonoma Offensive Stats
Total Offense: 509 yards
Rushes/Yards/TD: 25/117/3
Passes/Yards/TD: 37/392/3
3rd downs: 6/9 (66%)
Redzone: 6 att, 5 TD, 1 FG (100%)
Turnovers: 5

Defensive Stats
Total Yards Allowed: 432
Pass Yards Allowed: 177
Rush Yards Allowed: 255
3rd downs Allowed: 7/11 (63%)
Red Zone: 4 visits, 3 TD's allowed (75%)
Sacks: 3
Turnovers: 2 (2 FUM)

Passing Leader:
B. Givens: 26/37, 392 yards, 3 TD, 4 INT 164.4 QBR

Rushing Leaders:
HB #33: 13 car, 47 yards, 3.6 avg, 3 TD
B. Givens: 12 car, 70 yards, 5.8 avg

Receving Leaders:
C. Browne: 8 rec, 121 yards, 15.1 avg
HB #33: 6 rec, 89 yards, 14.8 avg, 1 TD
C. Thompson: 5 rec, 114 yards, 22.8 avg, 1 TD

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-09-2016, 04:26 AM   #68
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

End of Season Awards

All Americans

First Team

Returner Isaac Johnson (Jr.)

Second Team

MLB Marcus Franklin (So.)
SS Tyrone Steele (Fr.)

Freshman

WR Chase Browne
WR Chad Thompson
SS Tyrone Steele

All Conference

First Team

RB- HB #33 (So.)
LE Deandre Cade (So.)
DT Nick Chambers (Sr.)
MLB Marcus Franklin (So.)
SS Tyrone Steele (Fr.)
Ret Isaac Johnson (Jr.)

Second Team
DT Lionel Johnson (Sr.)

NCAA AWARDS

Best Kick/Punt Returner
Isaac Johnson (Jr.)

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-09-2016, 04:37 AM   #69
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

End of Season Stats

Final Stats: 2015 Season

Passing:
B. Givens: 235/391, 3376 yards, 27 TD, 17 INT, 146.7 QBR
R. Bowman: 21/29, 298 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 179.1 QBR

Rushing:
HB #33: 141 car, 1007 yards, 7.1 avg, 13 TD
B. Givens: 146 car, 648 yards, 4.4 avg, 7 TD
HB #6: 64 car, 400 yards, 6.2 avg, 6 TD
R. Bowman: 31 car, 105 yards, 3.3 avg, 4 TD
J. Thomas: 20 car, 98 yards, 4.9 avg, 7 TD
M. Watson: 18 car, 55 yards, 3.0 avg, 1 TD

Receiving:
C. Browne: 56 rec, 981 yards, 17.5 avg, 7 TD
TE #44: 53 rec, 753 yards, 14.2 avg, 5 TD
D. McNeal: 46 rec, 585 yards, 12.7 avg, 5 TD
C. Thompson: 43 rec, 679 yards, 15.7 avg, 5 TD
HB #33: 30 rec, 361 yards, 12.0 avg, 2 TD
HB #6: 18 rec, 171 yards, 9.5 avg, 3 TD
C. Mathis: 4 rec, 55 yards, 13.7 avg, 1 TD
J. Thomas: 3 rec, 48 yards, 16.0 avg, 1 TD
M. Gray: 2 rec, 27 yards, 13.5 avg, 1 TD
M. Watson: 1 rec, 14 yards, 14.0 avg

DEFENSIVE STATS

Tackling leaders:
M. Franklin: 73 (58 solo)
J. Williams: 67 (42 solo)
D. Harper: 65 (51 solo)

Tackles For Loss:
M. Franklin: 22
J. Williams: 21
D. Cade: 19

Sacks:
N. Chambers: 12
D. Cade: 10.5
M. Franklin: 8

Interceptions:
T. Steele: 3
I. Johnson: 2
D. Myers: 2

Forced Fumbles:
M. Franklin: 2
(six players with 1 each)

Kicking:
S. Bentley: 5/10 field goals (50%), long of 41, 71/71 XP

Punting:
S. Bentley: 36 punts, 44.1 avg, 11 inside 20, 5 touchbacks

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #70
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Post Season Press Conference

A transcript of the few questions fielded by HC Scott Wright during the end of season press conference, which he cut short to head home for the holidays.

Q: A big improvement this year, how do you feel about the program?

A: We have come a long way in a short time frame. We are definitely on the rise. We have a strong base and a lot of guys returning, so we expect only to improve.

Q: Do you feel like Brian Givens improved this season?

A: He still had a lot of interceptions, but it was a vast improvement. He is still young. His decision making is getting a lot better, which has me even more excited for next year.

Q: With such a quick turnaround, you look like a hot commodity in the coaching world. Do you plan to stay in Sonoma?

A: Wine country is my home. I am happy here, my family loves it here. It would take a lot to draw me away.

Q: Do you expect to renegotiate your contract at the end of the season?

A: We will be having some talks about where we are at as a program. We have those talks every year. I am hopeful for an extension though, absolutely. I'd like to really cement my name is as the coach of the future here.

Q: A lot of guys are coming back next season, but the big names leaving are Johnson and Chambers. How do you plan to replace your two defensive tackles that have been such a major contributor?

A: We only got these kids for two years, thats the downside for JUCO guys. We need the next man up. We may have to turn to more blitz packages in the future to get a pass rush like they did. Our defense is improving a lot, I think we will be fine.

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #71
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: The Resurrection of Sonoma State

END OF 2015 SEASON

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #72
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Offseason 2015: Coaching Changes

Wright Signs 6 Year Extension at Sonoma

Rohnert Park, CA -- Athletic Director Brian Franks announced today that Scott Wright has signed a six year extension, keeping him in Wine Country through 2021. The contract still requires final approval from the Cal State board of trustees, but is reportedly worth $700,000 per year. The contract is to be funded by ticket sales as well as the boosters, and includes undisclosed bonuses based on the numbers of wins in a season.

Wright is 13-13 in his career with Sonoma State, but took a program that was 0-12 in 2013 to 9-5 in 2015. The Seawolves had a season of firsts this year, winning their first conference championship and their first bowl game, not to mention their first winning season.

Wright was happy to sign the extension. "This is where I belong," he said with a grin. "I love this area, this community, and this school. I hope to sign another extension when the time comes."

AD Brian Franks also expressed he is pleased with the program. "He has built something out of nothing," said Franks. "He has brought life to this program. We wouldn't be here without him. We knew we couldn't afford to lose him."

Wright will bring a strong team into 2016, losing only two starters to graduation. With the new contract cementing him in for years to come, recruits can trust he will be around to coach them.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »