Home

Need some help understanding flagstick placement.

This is a discussion on Need some help understanding flagstick placement. within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Pro

steez3's Arena

OVR: 11
Need some help understanding flagstick placement.

So im a average tiger player and just getting into the golf game, when im playing my road to the masters at whatever course i play all 4 rounds and i have it set for easy flagstick..... but after each round it switches and goes up a level, so round 2 is set to medium flagstick then hard for round 3 and expert for round 4.... am i able to change this somehow? I highly doubt courses change to hole location after each round in real life and by round 4 im always 2 or 3 putting and always fall out of contention. I dont understand why it would automatically change the flagstick difficulty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Need some help understanding flagstick placement.

I don't have an answer about changing the settings, but they do change the hole locations after each round in pga tournaments.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 20

This is actually a fairly serious problem. That "putting is broken" thread talks about it quite a bit, specifically the extent to which flagstick placement in the 3rd and 4th rounds is stupid hard and unrealistic.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

For those complaining that the flag placements are unrealistic, I would venture to say they haven't played a fourth round in a PGA event. There's a reason guys don't shoot -37s in real life. Or go 10 under on their final round on a regular basis.

In fact, those are probably the closest aproximation to real golf when you consider PGA players often have to determine where on the green to hit the ball (front, back, left, right) so they have an uphill putt with little break. The ones that do that effectively, both in real life as well as TW 12, will find themselves having easier putts.

Now if you have a complaint about the ball break physics and the ball returning to your feet after said putt...that's an entirely different subject and problem (but does also happen in real life on occassion).
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardswin2006
For those complaining that the flag placements are unrealistic, I would venture to say they haven't played a fourth round in a PGA event. There's a reason guys don't shoot -37s in real life. Or go 10 under on their final round on a regular basis.

In fact, those are probably the closest aproximation to real golf when you consider PGA players often have to determine where on the green to hit the ball (front, back, left, right) so they have an uphill putt with little break. The ones that do that effectively, both in real life as well as TW 12, will find themselves having easier putts.

Now if you have a complaint about the ball break physics and the ball returning to your feet after said putt...that's an entirely different subject and problem (but does also happen in real life on occassion).
You are so off base and it seems like you haven't even played the game yet . Many pins are either right on 45% slopes or just on the edge of it where if you miss by 2 inches it rolls down 30 feet. There is literally no safe place on the green. It's pretty safe to say there has never been a hole in PGA history that was on a 45% slope or right on the edge of it and if there was one that would be the last time that course ever hosted a PGA event.

What makes holes difficult in 4th rounds are holes being placed several feet above a ridge, a hard to get to area that being protected by trees or bunkers forcing you to draw or fade the ball or on a 2 tiered area so a bad approach shot forces you to putt over that ridge but once you get over the ridge it flattens out. The immediate area around a hole (of at least several feet) is never tricked up as to punish a near miss and having it on a 30-45% degree is unheard of.

The hole itself is always surrounded by a generally flat area where you do have breaks and even the more severe ones will never punish the golfer if he just misses. Fast and strategically placed greens is what makes it difficult not making it a mini putt hole where there is no skill involved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Three-putts are not really all that common on the PGA tour. Jim Furyk just had his first 3 putt in over 2 years this past weekend.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
Three-putts are not really all that common on the PGA tour. Jim Furyk just had his first 3 putt in over 2 years this past weekend.
On some of these carnival holes, a 3 putt is like an eagle for me.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
You are so off base and it seems like you haven't even played the game yet.
Well I've played the game plenty, so not sure what to tell you there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »