Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #57
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions

Really not understanding the hate on this demo. Its like a perfect marriage of the freelance gameplay of 11 and the hand-holding variety of 12. I have put some time in the demp and have been able to do some really, really neat things around the green. Sim or not, never have I played a golf game where the shot-making around the green is only limited by your own imagination.

I even took out a 3 wood once, ala Tiger of the late 90's, and "chipped" just off the green. Not going to use this shot at all, obviously, but it was cool to plan it out, get my swing down and then execute the shot with some success.

Don't get it and I find this game gets hated on for the sake of hate to almost Madden levels on these forums. Yeah, its not the PERFECT "sim" golf title. But there is a challenging, fun and mostly sim golf game to be found in the demo and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #58
Rookie

kickingguru's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
I played one hole and deleted the demo.
I stopped listening right there.....
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingguru
I stopped listening right there.....
Yeah...I've been playing video games long enough to know what is or isn't a good game within the first 60 seconds of actually playing it....if it doesn't interest or intrigue me in any way I move on. TW 13 demo didn't do either.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #60
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley79
Been playing more with the Kinect and the PS Move, and I had a question (for those using the Kinect). Is there no swing meter to gauge how well/bad you swing your club? On the Move, I'm able to see my swing feedback, but notice that it's missing on the Kinect. I checked the menus to make sure that it's still enabled, but it doesn't show up on mine. Just wondered if anyone else is having this issue.
Not seeing it either, but that would be really nice!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #61
gtm
M*t*l F*r*v*r

gtm's Arena

OVR: 18

Does anyone know why 13 isn't on the Wii ?????

CLICK ME==> NY Mets Dynasty Page

I'm the only person on the planet that says sports games AI should be tested in cpu/cpu mode

U.S. Navy Veteran (Disabled Vet)

"Life, Liberty, And Pursuit Of All Who Threaten It"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #62
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Need to try the demo a few more times. So far Ive only played with a controller but what originally sold me on the pre-order was the Kinect integration. However, in reality, I'm lazy and like sitting down relaxing when I game, so need to like this game with a controller first and foremost.

Unfortunately it didn't win me over so far. I hit a round trying each of the three difficulties. I found the first two difficulties to not be very different. Aside from missing the put preview I don't know you can tell which is which. I never felt challenged by the course, the elements or my own mechanics so even in three short holes the game quickly become a lifeless grind just going through the motions.

Notching up to the highest difficulty added a new level of challenge because it removes the swing meter. It will take a little more time experimenting to see if I like this level. It didn't really feel like this hardest difficulty added a layer of complexity. Instead it kind of felt like a cheap trick; as if the best the game can do to "challenge" a player is to artificially blind them.

Having not spent much time with the meter it was hard to gauge swing power, and especially putting power. However, it seems like you would quickly get a feel for gauging shots, even blindfolded, and go on to find the difficulty is really no more challenging than the default difficulty.

Modern golf games have all written off the three-click swing meter as 'too easy to beat' only to tie your swing to an analog stick and give you so much leeway it is impossible to slice or hook a shot. TW doesn't seem to ever let go of your hand even with the caddy off the motion is the same -- swing, swing, putt birdie. No aiming, no consideration for the lie, no concern for wind. Mario Golf had an more of a course management element than TW.

While mindlessly grinding for loot may be cool for WoW it is not what is going to keep me coming back to a golf game.

Last edited by lnin0; 03-09-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #63
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

I've not had a go with this demo yet, but I haven't got a clue why they have changed the putting system.

The one in '12 is almost perfect - you actually have to judge the weight of the putt and there are no easy 10 footers on the harder difficulty levels. Changing it back to what it used to be is a step back.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #64
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Thought I'd post my impressions of the demo:

First thing I noticed, obviously, was the new swing mechanics. I really like the direction they chose this time around. It makes me feel like I'm actually swinging, instead of relying on % number to judge power and distance. I have to watch my back swing and down swing on each shot I take. It's taking my awhile to get used to though, as my short game really sucks with the new swing mechanic. I've been constantly chipping the ball past the pin so many times I've lost count.

Another thing I really like it being able to choose where the ball lies in your stance, which is something I've wanted for along time now. Tiger Woods 13, in my opinion, gives you a lot of options in terms of shot type, which I love.

Thank goodness they changed the cadie system in this game. Thank you EA... no more annoying caddy before each shot.

In terms of graphics and presentation, the commentary seems to me at least, to be a bit more fluid and natural, especially between Feherty and Nantz. Graphics look a lot more solid and little details like bunker shots and greens look much improved.

I'll be purchasing this day one or a few days after release. Tiger Woods 12 got really boring fast and ended up sitting on my shelf for months before I traded it in toward my PS Vita, but I think this game will be a lot better in terms of replay value.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »