Home

TGC2 OS community courses thread

This is a discussion on TGC2 OS community courses thread within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4
TGC2 OS community courses thread

We had one for the original so figured I'd get one started for the sequel. Post your course creations here!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: TGC2 OS community courses thread

Cherrytop Springs Country Club

A rural setting not far from the bustle of downtown Nashville, Cherrytop Springs was built to task golfers with a variety of challenges, each hole bringing something new in terms of difficulty and approach.

The course has recently undergone renovations to make the course PGA Tour eligible, including the additions of better viewing areas on a number holes, grandstands, and improved facilities.

The course is equipped with four tees of wide-ranging length:
Gold: 5,857
Red: 6,312
Blue: 6,696
Black: 7,088

All skill levels are welcome, but only the golfer with a well-rounded game will be able to conquer the course at all stages. For now, just to pique your interest, join us on this photo tour of Cherrytop Springs!

Here we have the 1st green, sheltered by sand on all sides, excluding the front. In the background, you can see the Gable bridge leading from the 5th tees to its fairway.

This is the 2nd green, wider than it is long. A difficult play depending on the pin position, it will force golfers to make a choice on whether to carry the front bunkers, or play it safe and leave yourself a long putt.

Pictured now is the 3rd tee. As one of our two signature holes, the 3rd hole offers a challenging but fair par-3. The water doesn't really come into play, but the additions of the grandstands make the drive in a bit more intimidating, especially once filled with golf fans.

And this is the 3rd green. The shadows make reading the green a bit more difficult, factor in the pressure of putting in front of hundreds of tournament-goers and it makes this shot even more challenging.

The 4th green is elevated above the approach. Avoid the danger to the right (picture left), a deep pocket of think brush and a hazard lining the hill await if the approach shot isn't where it needs to be.

The 5th green looks innocent enough, but careful: come up short and you're wet. The left is flanked by large oak trees, while the right side of the green features sloping and snaking bunkers. You might be better off long in the deep rough.

There are no breaks just yet at the 6th green. Although the course doesn't lack its fair share of sand, the 6th green generally offers gentle slopes and a modest landing area. A pin location in the front is actually more concerning.

The view from the newly installed camera tower looking over the 8th hole. The fairly narrow fairway doesn't offer much room for error, but the wide and mostly flat green offers a slight reprieve from the ongoing challenge.

This is the 9th tee. If it's hot outside, it is one of the most popular locations on the golf course, with nearby picnic tables shaded by the large elm, maple, and cedar trees. There's a hefty drop-off to the 9th fairway, with a not-so-subtle dogleg to the right awaiting. The raised mounds on both sides of the tee offer fans a great view of their favorite players.

Coming up is the 10th green. The front is heavily protected by a small creek with large rocks. Landing over the pin and using the green's natural slope seems the best approach. Come up short and you're looking at a big score.

A view of the 11th tee from the adjacent grandstands. The 11th is a fairly straightforward par-3 with modest bunkering and a waste area between the tee and green.

Now we come to our 2nd signature hole, the 13th at Cherrytop Springs. This hole introduces a fairly different style, molded in the eye of Oakmont outside Pittsburgh, PA. The rolling fairway and large, speedy green requires golfers use all their skills. The piano-key bunkers are reminiscent, if not straight clones, of those found at Oakmont.

Here's the view of the approach from the other angle, behind the 13th green. You can see it offers plenty of landing areas, but pin positions in all four corners means you're playing a different approach each round. The green features subtle, but hard-to-judge, sloping.

The 14th green is offers more wide landing areas, but the approach is narrow and features water along the left side (picture right). Similar to before, if you come up short of this green, you're swimming. Go long and you have an extra landing pad of fairway, but downslopes and bunkers protect all sides.

Shade overhangs the 17th tee, which includes patron stands on both sides. Coming out of the chute, golfers are forced to fly the large lake. A drive of 230 yards is required from the black tees.

The 17th green is also covered in shade most of the day, making reading slopes difficult as you near the end of your round. There are plenty of viewing areas for fans and television. The pressure of the tournament doesn't relent when you're going for that important tour victory.

Looking back toward the 18th tee offers a unique perspective on this hole. The camera tower looms large over the next to tee off, not to mention - once again - patron grandstands lining the tee box.

As the final hole, the 18th generally allows for the most patron viewing areas, with six total grandstand locations (two at the tee, two lining the fairway, and two at the green). As it typically is the most important hole on the course, this isn't too surprising. You can see how the green is located on a plateau above the fairway, making high-arching landing shots a must.

The final green you'll face at Cherrytop Springs CC, the 18th doesn't have a ton of sloping, but it is narrow with run-offs on most sides. It will award precision and largely penalize even modest misses.

Thank you for joining us on this lengthy photo tour of Cherrytop Springs! Even our driving range offers unique views not found anywhere else in golf. As you work on your long game, you can get a nice perspective on some of the state wind turbines used to, among other things, power this country club.

Imgur redirect of all images on this tour.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Wow. Course aesthetics are beautifully done. Not a fan of some of the fairway and bunker shapes but pictures might not do justice. It looks great. I'll give it a go.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

Actually, I should throw up a few disclaimers before people do play it so they know a bit more what to expect:

(1) The course was designed to be rather difficult, even brutally so. I had released a couple courses prior to this one that seemed way too easy. Ultimately, after my first full play-through in quite a while, I feel as though I swung too far in the other direction. I really wouldn't recommend playing the course unless you want a somewhat unique challenge. That brings me to the next point:

(2) This is a course I brought forward from the original game. Unfortunately, it appears of number of things didn't translate all that well into the new game. I thought I had played all the holes prior to re-publishing, but there are a couple small things I missed after doing a full run on the black tees. I didn't play-test all the tees, either, which in hindsight I realize I should have done so. You'll probably have a better experience from the gold or red tees, but I suppose the point of those is to make it somewhat easier (in this case perhaps just bearable).

(3) All-in-all, I'd say the course is much better to look at than play, so I just wanted to give a word of caution going forward. While I'm not particularly good at the game, I wouldn't say I'm awful (other than the relentless fade I can't seem to shake now), and I did somewhat rush, but I ended up shooting an 89 from the blacks.

Anyway, figured I'd throw up my own thoughts before other people felt the urge to dive in. Not a course I would recommend for everyone, probably mostly for players that feel they've somewhat mastered the game.

So this post isn't a total waste otherwise, I'll offer a quick preview of my next course still in the works, though it is being built from the start with the new engine:

Looking out toward the first hole from the cart garage. Ignore the unfinished cart path for now.

The clubhouse as seen from the driving range. The course will be notable for its tall pines, but generally it will be an open-air course with less foliage.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Can you tell me how you are getting these screenshots? Are you doing this from the course editor and somehow removing all the numbers and hole lines?

Beautiful course by the way....amazing attention to detail!

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

This is a very beautiful course jwilphl; you've really unlocked the potential of the tournament objects. I'll say right now that hole six can go straight to hell... it's a tough course but very well done!

Old 07-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Can you tell me how you are getting these screenshots? Are you doing this from the course editor and somehow removing all the numbers and hole lines?

Beautiful course by the way....amazing attention to detail!
Using the camera mode (F10 on PC, I'm not sure how to do it on the consoles). The same mode was accomplished with F12 in the original game.

You can enter the camera mode either during a round or while in the course editor. I find the controls a bit more accessible using the mode while in the editor, but perhaps a bit more precise while playing a round (though they take some getting used to).

You can then take the screenshot either by using the A button on your controller (Windows) or using the default Steam screenshot hotkey - whatever you have it set to (I think F12 is the default). If you use the A button, your screenshot will be saved in the default game directory (steamapps/common/Canadian Bacon). There's no notification when you take a screenshot, but it does happen.

If you use the default steam method to take the screen, keep in mind you'll have to crop out the camera options in the upper left of the screen. Using the controller means there's no overlays at all, just a "photograph."

I'm not sure what the keyboard bindings are if you're not using a gamepad. That's what I tried using initially but couldn't figure it out, and couldn't find an in-game key list anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
This is a very beautiful course jwilphl; you've really unlocked the potential of the tournament objects. I'll say right now that hole six can go straight to hell... it's a tough course but very well done!
You are too kind, my friend. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Ah, I figured you might be doing that on PC. I have a PS4...I'll have to play around a bit and see if there are such possibilities.

Thank you for your detailed response, and again, brilliant work!

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »