Home

1989 Classic Roster M17

This is a discussion on 1989 Classic Roster M17 within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: 1989 Classic Roster M17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Not really....I would imagine that quite a large number of the people that would be the target audience most interested in classic rosters grew up watching NFL in the 80s/90s (if not earlier). If you're going by the overall mean age of players, then yeah, you're right....but that really gets skewed by the younger audience that is more interested in online gaming (and not simulating NFL past seasons).

That aside, I personally find 2002 to be a pretty bland and uninteresting season. No dominant teams, your MVP was the "immortal" Rich Gannon, most of the elite players from the 90s were gone and replaced at the top by guys who weren't quite in their primes yet. There weren't really any "villains" (i.e. teams that everyone except their fans hated). The only real storyline was parity (a nice way of saying "mediocrity").

Now, regardless of the season selected, I'm sure Iteachpercussion will come up with something terrific and I will be looking forward to it no matter what
I agree Josh, most of the younger Madden players do not seem really interested in classic rosters. I agree with you that the majority of classic roster folks like the 80s and 90s rosters. If we could adjust the game a little more, I think 70s rosters would do better. However, with the limitations in Madden, 70s rosters just do not play out as well.

I did a 1975 roster and I think it turned out pretty good. I tried to set up a CFM with it, but it just does not seem right to play 1975 with everyone in the shotgun formation. However, I made some 70s style playbooks and use the roster in Play Now. I have to say it works pretty well that way.

The only reason I have thought about 2002 is I have had a few people suggest as 2000s roster, and 2002 is the last time the Browns made the playoffs. I always thought it would be interesting to try to keep that team going instead of imploding like it did in 2003. One reason I have stayed away from 2000s roster is exactly what you mentioned. I feel like the early 2000s especially were just kind of blah for the NFL.

I think 1987 is intriguing because of the strike and the possibilities of using scab players on the expansion teams and free agents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #26
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

Thank you ITP! Just saw this post and plan on downloading and playing around a bit with these rosters.

Also, I agree, I feel like that most classic roster guys are older forum members that probably grew up watching the NFL in the 80's and seem to want to focus on the older seasons.

I am a lifelong Tampa resident and I remember the awful 80's and 90's Bucs teams and going to Tampa/Houlihan's stadium as much as I could because the Bucs didn't consistently sell-out back then and local tv coverage was limited to the Dolphins usually.

It's small, but, it's definitely fun to take a jump back, load up old rosters and play with an old Bucs team in a franchise with the old uni's and try to build them up in a franchise.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #27
MVP

StormsWarning's Arena

OVR: 9

This rosters plays amazing! Hands down, you were right bro, definitely better than 93, but 93 is great to, i think its just in 89 there were so many teams going in some many directions and most all of them were good. I use Josh Sliders and first game I played was the browns vs steelers the game finished with the browns over the steelers 19-16, the game played really well, regardless of what 18 does 17 will remain, just because of this roster set alone! if i had to have my choice of rosters id say a 1985 and a 1997 to very good years in football.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormsWarning
This rosters plays amazing! Hands down, you were right bro, definitely better than 93, but 93 is great to, i think its just in 89 there were so many teams going in some many directions and most all of them were good. I use Josh Sliders and first game I played was the browns vs steelers the game finished with the browns over the steelers 19-16, the game played really well, regardless of what 18 does 17 will remain, just because of this roster set alone! if i had to have my choice of rosters id say a 1985 and a 1997 to very good years in football.
Thanks a lot! I am glad you like the roster. I am really happy with the way it turned out.

Let me know if anything in the roster does not seem right or names are wrong or anything.

As for the next roster... I am leaning towards 1987. I did 1985 back on M25 and I have thought about redoing it in the future. I don't think I could make myself do a roster between 96-99....No Browns! (I am HUGE Browns fan)

As for M18, I am not sure what to think. I was up in the air for a while, and then some of the info started coming out and I figured I would certainly get. However, lately I am less sure. I am just not sure there is enough better in the game compared to M17 to warrant the money. Hopefully once more gameplay is shown and the blogs start there will be something there to convince me to get it. Right now, I am still enjoying M17. I feel like I have the settings to make CFM work for classic rosters and everything. We will see.

Anyway, again, I am glad you like the roster. Please keep me informed on how things are playing out for you. The more feedback I get the better rosters I can make.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #29
MVP

Just a friendly note about 1989. If you are playing a 32 team CFM and want to mimic the Real NFL, or if you are playing Play Now games through 89 real schedule, do not forget that this was the year of the BIG Herschel Walker trade.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #30
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
Thanks a lot! I am glad you like the roster. I am really happy with the way it turned out.

Let me know if anything in the roster does not seem right or names are wrong or anything.

As for the next roster... I am leaning towards 1987. I did 1985 back on M25 and I have thought about redoing it in the future. I don't think I could make myself do a roster between 96-99....No Browns! (I am HUGE Browns fan)

As for M18, I am not sure what to think. I was up in the air for a while, and then some of the info started coming out and I figured I would certainly get. However, lately I am less sure. I am just not sure there is enough better in the game compared to M17 to warrant the money. Hopefully once more gameplay is shown and the blogs start there will be something there to convince me to get it. Right now, I am still enjoying M17. I feel like I have the settings to make CFM work for classic rosters and everything. We will see.

Anyway, again, I am glad you like the roster. Please keep me informed on how things are playing out for you. The more feedback I get the better rosters I can make.

I played 49ers (me) @ Eagles yesterday. It was a Play Now random team selection game.

Cunningham took of a few times on scrambles and used some spins to breakaway...that was really cool to see. Cunningham finished with 57% completion rate with some overthrows and off-target passes.

Montana was pinpoint and only had a few incompletions that were due to drops. Roger Craig had 67 yards on 20 carries. Running against that nasty Eagles defensive line was difficult. Reggie White absolutely destroyed Montana on one play and just planted him.

It was 17-17 with :04 left and I was lining up for a 37-yard field goal attempt to win. Eagles call timeout to "ice" the kicker. Eagles blocked the field goal attempt, scooped it up and ran it in for the game winning score.

Again, great job on the rosters ITP!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #31
MVP

StormsWarning's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion

I totally understand that bro, I'm still on the verge myself, I dont know, I like the slowed down heavy affect that i have seen in the videos, players are not sliding to catch the ball on offense or defense, players look like they have weight to them now, i'm not pre-ordering the game, but I do wanna see what it looks like and ill decide then, taking the same approach with nba live vs 2k, im leaning towards live alot more than 2k, especially after seeing those reviews and footage looks pretty good but we'll see. i here ya on being a Browns fan i'm right there with ya brotha! 1987 was a tough year for us but a fun one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7zRs91BgI

AFC Championship Game - Cleveland Browns Vs Denver Broncos....... Would love to actually have this year!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #32
Rookie

prime21time37's Arena

OVR: 5

Not enough credit goes out to you roster makers... the time and patience it takes for this is ridiculous, especially to make one as accurate as this.. these are awesome... thanks a lot.. I've been playing super tecmo bowl for the last month to get my old school fix... 😂😂😂

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »