Home

Museum of the Moving Image Explores 25 Years of Madden NFL in Video Game Exhibition

This is a discussion on Museum of the Moving Image Explores 25 Years of Madden NFL in Video Game Exhibition within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Museum of the Moving Image Explores 25 Years of Madden NFL in Video Game Exhibition

Starting tomorrow, the Museum of the Moving Image (located in Astoria, N.Y.) and EA Sports will celebrate 25 years of the Madden franchise. If you are in the area from January 8th through February 23rd, make sure you check it out.

They following playable versions of Madden will be on display.
  • John Madden Football (1988) on Apple II
  • Madden NFL ’94 (1993) on Sega Genesis
  • Madden NFL 99 (1998) on PlayStation
  • Madden NFL 2005 (2004) on Xbox
  • Madden NFL 25 (2013) on Xbox One
Read the full press release below.

As New York and New Jersey play host to Super Bowl XLVIII, Museum of the Moving Image and EA SPORTS look back on 25 years of the groundbreaking video game franchise Madden NFL in a new exhibition that opens tomorrow. On view and available for play are five editions of the game ranging from the original John Madden Football (1988) on Apple II to the latest Madden NFL 25 (2013) on Xbox One. Those who can’t attend in-person can visit a special website for an inside look at the exhibit.

“There is no better time than now to present the story of the Madden NFL phenomenon at the Museum,” said Carl Goodman, Executive Director of Museum of the Moving Image. “The Super Bowl is in town and the Madden NFL franchise is celebrating its 25th anniversary; plus the Museum presented the first ever exhibition devoted to video games anywhere 25 years ago. Madden NFL is a premier example of how a sports simulation video game has influenced how the sport is presented on television and experienced by fans.”

The exhibition Madden NFL: 25 Years and Running explores this landmark franchise, highlighting its aesthetic evolution, cultural legacy, and enduring focus on simulation. Featured are five playable games that span the 25-year history of the franchise. In addition to the original John Madden Football (1988) on Apple II, they include Madden NFL ’94 (1993) on Sega Genesis, the first game with NFL licensed teams; Madden NFL 99 (1998) on PlayStation, which showcases breakthrough use of graphics and the first with Franchise mode; Madden NFL 2005 (2004) on Xbox, featuring defense mechanic and use of "Hit Stick”; and the new Madden NFL 25 (2013) on Xbox One showcasing Human Intelligence, True Player Motion and Living Worlds. Madden NFL 25 will be presented as a large-scale projection, while others will be shown on period consoles. All games will be available for multiple players except for the earliest game, John Madden Football. In addition to the games, the exhibition features a dynamic timeline showing milestones in the development of the franchise highlighted by gameplay footage from every year. The exhibition will be on view through February 23, in the Museum’s Nam June Paik Room / HBO Production Lab on the third floor.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Run After Catch

OVR: 13
Re: Museum of the Moving Image Explores 25 Years of Madden NFL in Video Game Exhibiti

Should have gone '95 instead of '94. It's tough to play with the passing windows. Not sure how we ever did that!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Museum of the Moving Image Explores 25 Years of Madden NFL in Video Game Exhibiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACZILLA
Should have gone '95 instead of '94. It's tough to play with the passing windows. Not sure how we ever did that!
I was about to say the same thing. Otherwise, I'd say they picked the best Madden game for each system.

It is interesting, though, that the Xbox 360/PS3 games were excluded. I would have picked Madden NFL 10 for those systems.

Last edited by jyoung; 01-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I was about to say the same thing. Otherwise, I'd say they picked the best Madden game for each system.

It is interesting, though, that the Xbox 360/PS3 games were excluded. I would have picked Madden NFL 10 for those systems.
True. I'd have gone with Madden NFL 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »